Rainfall

The Girl Who Watched Time

 

“If I were rain, 
That joins sky and earth that otherwise never touch,
Could I join two hearts as well?” 

-Tite Kubo

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“What the God damn is going on?!” Taeyeon yelled, slapping the sides of her pockets desperately.

“Taeyeon, chill out,” Sooyoung said, clutching on the girl’s shoulder to cool her off, “Now, what just happened? You’re a walking string of swear words and you reek of frustration.”

Feeling downright frustrated, Taeyeon slapped herself over and over again, letting out a short outburst of anger each time she hit herself. “I swear to God, this girl is hopeless,” Sooyoung mumbled to herself, grasping both of Taeyeon’s hands, freezing them together in an ice handcuff. “What’s going on?” she repeated, “I need you to tell me, or I can’t do anything to help you other than give you an ice hammer to knock yourself out.”

“I ed up,” Taeyeon stated, “Big time.”

“You always screw things up, just last week, Yoona found out that there was a guy who lived past a 150 because you screwed up.” The taller angel stated, folding her arms and raising her eyebrows at Taeyeon.

“I lost my pocketwatch.” Taeyeon said remorsefully, her eyes glued to the ground to avoid eye contact with Sooyoung.

A silent gust of wind blew past silently as the two angels stood there, one bracing herself for a punch to the face while another was apparently still trying to register that her best friend was unbelievably careless. “You’re ed.” She finally managed to say after a long while.

Taeyeon looked up at Sooyoung, her eyes that were initially filled with hope instantly vanished as she gave a deflated sigh, resigning herself to her fate.

 “I know right?”

 

 

 

 

“Korea! I’m back!”

Passer-bys stared questionably at the american-born korean girl who was squealing excitedly by herself as she laughed uncontrollably to herself. “Crazy  girl.” One of them commented when they walked past her.

Tiffany ignored them, completely overwhelmed by the fact that she was finally back in home. “Time to call Jessi.” She thought to herself as she dug into her pocket.

“Strange…” she furrowed her eyebrows as she rummaged through her second pocket.

“Oh my God, don’t tell me…”

Tiffany’s heart dropped like a stone in water and cold sweat began to form on her crown as she fumbled through her belongings for the slip of paper containing her cousin’s number. After searching herself countless times, making herself look as though she was doing a dance of some sort, she finally resigned to her fate and sagged into a chair, deflated.

“No way.” She repeated over and over again to herself.

“Arf!”

“What do we do?” Tiffany asked her dog, picking up it’s cage and looking at it eye to eye, “I lost Jessica’s number, and I don’t have it inside my phone either.”

Jackson seemed to let out a dog’s version of a sigh; lowering it’s head and whining softly. “Let’s go.” Tiffany sighed as she let Jackson out of his cage, hooking him up to his leash before walking out of the airport, feeling more tired than she had ever been.

“University of Seoul please.” She said glumly to the cab driver, who gave a slight nod of approval before driving off to their destination.

“With some luck, I might be able to rent a room at the school’s hostel for a night.” Tiffany thought, hoping for the best as the she looked up in the sky, where another plane had just taken off from the runway.

 

 

 

 

“Did you find her?” Yoona asked worriedly when she saw Taeyeon arrive back up.

“No.” Taeyeon answered, tired from her endless search for the last person she met before she lost her watch ; Tiffany.

“Stop,” said the two guards who blocked the path, their iron rods forming an ‘X’ as they looked at Taeyeon

“She’s with me,” a calm yet cold voice said.

“Sooyoung,” Taeyeon acknowledged the taller angel with a slight bow as her friend pushed the guards away, “ Thanks.”

“I tracked that girl you were talking about to a location in Seoul.” The tall angel said, bringing out a laptop which contained a map on the screen. “There.” She said, pointing to a bright red dot that pulsated every two seconds, sending out a bright red ripple every time.

“Thanks,” Taeyeon thanked hurriedly , but a strong arm quickly grabbed hers, stopping her in her tracks almost instantly. “Yoona, I need to go, I don’t have time to play with you.”

Yoona’s grip tightened when Taeyeon tried to pry herself away. “Unnie, this tracker is only able to highlight a certain area where the target might be in but not the exact location.” Yoona explained as she pointed to the area where the red dot was pulsating.

“See the ripples? There’s a reason why it’s there. At the moment, we’re tracking the target based on the power of your watch. The area covered by the pulse; from the red dot all the way till the ripple ends, is where your target might be.” Yoona explained, jabbing the screen repeatedly as she explained to Taeyeon.

“Yoona, the screen…” Sooyoung reminded, her eye twitching in irritation.

“Sorry,” Yoona replied with a giggle, “Got carried away.”

Taeyeon nodded, understanding that the state of her problem has just escalated higher. “So, how are we supposed to track her down?” she asked, turning to the two girls for answers.

Their blank expressions told her that they had none. “Sorry Tae, but we’re gonna have to search for her physically. “I’ve already applied for my duties to be transferred to my subordinate for a short period of two days. Yoona?”

Yoona’s eyes widened in horror. “I forgot to apply for a leave of absence!” she exclaimed, her hands slapped onto her face.

Sooyoung shook her head. “Just you and me then.” She said with a indifferent shrug.

A small smile crept across Taeyeon’s face; half of it was because she was glad that she wouldn’t be searching alone, and the other half was because she was glad that she didn’t have to stand the couple getting too lovey-dovey in front of her.

“Hey, you with me or not?” Sooyoung asked, looking over her shoulder as she held the door for her friend.

It was only then that Taeyeon realized that she had been stoning for a a few moments. Smiling, she brisk walked to the door.

“Coming.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

Meanwhile, in one of the notice boards that no one notices in the University of Seoul, a girl stood there with her large pink suitcase by her side as she called up every single number that said that they were offering rooms for rental. Her disappointed expression reappearing every minute as soon as she heard the rental prices from each of the owners.

“$800,000 won per month? Isn’t that a bit of an overkill? Tiffany stated bluntly, immediately regretting her decision when she was met with a harsh yell across the phone as the landlord screamed into the receiver, causing her to pull the phone away for a few seconds before she ended the call.

“Well, that was rude.” She mumbled as she looked hopefully at the board once again, sighing when she couldn’t  find any other number to call.

“Excuse me..”

Spinning around, Tiffany turned to face a rather petite girl who gave her a small smile as she handed a red purse over to Tiffany. “You dropped this just now at the front gate,” the girl smiled, “It took me forever to find you in this huge school.”

A look of shock came over Tiffany’s face before she sent out a radiant smile at the girl. “Thank you!” she exclaimed as she gave the girl a hug, momentarily forgetting that the two of them were strangers. The stranger simply stood there, before giving Tiffany a gentle push to remind her that she was getting too close.

“Sorry.”

Tiffany’s apology was met with an awkward smile. “It’s okay, being in a foreign land makes you get comfortable with the first person who’s nice to you.”

Another shocked look came over Tiffany’s face.

“How did you know?”

The girl pointed to the oversized suit case by Tiffany’s side. “Locals like to travel light, even if they come from Busan and Gwangju. And you’re the first student I’ve seen to bring her dog along.”

Tiffany gave another awkward smile as she scratched her lowered head while blood rushed to her face. “Is there anything I can help you with?” the stranger asked.

Tiffany contemplated for a while; she was in a foreign land and aside Jessica, whom she had no idea where she lived, this stranger was the only person she knew. “Well, there is one thing that you can help me with.” She said softly, feeling totally ashamed that she was asking a stranger for a favour.

“And what might that be?”

“I need a place to stay. If you could—“

“Borrow you my apartment? No problem at all.”

Tiffany waved off the offer almost instantly. “No, no, no, that’s too much trouble, even for you. Actually, don’t worry about it, I can find my way to my friend’s place and live with her instead.”

“You sure you don’t want to go to my place? Or if you really feel awkward, do you want to check into the school’s motel first? I have a room over there that I don’t use but it’s under my name so if you want, I could give you the keys.”

“No, it’s fine. But if it ever gets down to that, I will ask for your help. Thanks for returning my wallet to me.” Tiffany smiled as she walked off quickly to avoid any more uncomfortable moments.

A single drop of rain landed on her forearm and her head immediately turned, looking at the wet spot where the water had hit her. Her first instinct was to look up at the sky, but amidst the darkness that clouded the sky, the storm clouds that were present seemed to be camouflaged.

A drop of rained escalated into a heavy downpour in less than an hour, forcing the American-born girl to take shelter under the bus stop. Rolling up her sleeve, she then realized it was close to midnight and there were no more buses coming into the bus stop till the next morning. A deflated sigh escaped her lips as she kicked her luggage in frustration, sulking as she opened Jackson’s cage and let the dog out.

“What’s with my bad luck today?” she asked Jackson, picking it up as she stared into it’s large black eyes that resembles black marbles.

Jackson’s only reply was a small whine, which Tiffany knew all too well what it meant. “I’m hungry too, but only Jess has your food so it’s either we find her, or we starve together,” Tiffany stated, settling her pet on her lap.

“Oh right, I still have half a sandwich.” Tiffany thought to herself, snapping her fingers as the idea of having food immediately brightened her mood. With Jackson still on her lap, she rummaged through the front pocket of her luggage case for a minute or so, her fingers fumbling and sliding over the small ziplock bag before she finally yanked it out.

“Food!” she yelled in triumph, holding up the sandwich as though it was her prize.

However, jackson had already noticed that there was food and without hestitation, it jumped out of Tiffany’s lap, snatching the ham and cheese sandwich out of her hands and wolfing it down without a second thought. “That was mine!” Tiffany whined, pointing an accusing finger at Jackson, “Give it back!”

“Oh, who am I kidding.” She thought, reminding herrself that Jackson was a dog, not a human being capable of thinking about the feelings of others. She watched on as her dog gobbled the remains of her sandwich before settling itself back inside it’s cage and falling asleep.

A flash of lightning momentarily lit up the area in a short burst of white light, causing Jackson to whine a little as it stirred in its sleep. “Shh..” Tiffany hushed, leaning down to pat her dog on the head in an attempt to reassure it.

It was then that she realized what had dropped out of her bag when she was rummaging for her sandwich; a gold pocket watch. “Almost forgotten about that,” she said to herself, picking the watch up and brushing the rain drops that had landed on it before she examined it.

“Nothing out of the ordinary. Although it’s been a while since I saw another pocketwatch, I haven’t seen one since the last time grandpa showed me his, and that was a long time ago.” she thought as she examined the watch.

Suddenly, her heart felt like it stopped. “Did the watch just glow?” she asked herself as she looked closer at the accessory. Her thumb found it’s way to the small knob situated on the side of the watch.

“Curiosity killed the cat.”

A quote dating back to the 1500’s, suddenly popped into Tiffany’s head. She smiled nervously as she laughed it off, watching the gold watch momentarily flash white with the arrival of yet another bolt of lightning.

“It’s just a watch, but what’s with this… feeling?” she asked herself as she examined the watch further before deciding to take the plunge.

Her grip on the watch tightened.

Click.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The atmosphere around them were pushed aside as the two figures plunged down from the heavens in free fall. “How the hell did you even lost your symbol of authority?! I thought keeping that with you at all times was pretty ing obvious!” Sooyoung yelled.

“I can’t hear you!” Taeyeon yelled back, “. Sooyoung! How am I supposed to break my fall without my powers?!”

“I can’t hear you!”

“How am I supposed to break my fall?!”

“I can’t hear you! Talk louder!”

“How th—“

A loud thump could be heard clearly as the two landed on the earthy ground of a football field, following which a groan of pain and agony from Taeyeon which lasted several seconds as she punched the ground. “Sorry, I forgot.” Sooyoung laughed, scratching her head while she helped her friend to get back up.

“You owe me a meal for that.” Taeyeon said as she dusted herself, sighing when she looked at the two scars where her wings used to be. She put on a look of concentration as she tried to bring them out, but almost instantly, her energy went out like a light.

“I just need a little more power.” She said, the look on her face was enough to potray her feelings; sad, anger, disappointment, powerless…

Useless.

Her waning power caused her to be unable to bring out her wings, let alone fly. Bags under her eyes were showing her how weak she was becoming. “Materialize yourself.” Sooyoung said, patting Taeyeon softly on the back.

“It’ll consume less of your power.” She added.

Taeyeon gave an affirming nod, her eyes fluttered as her body started to become visible, startling a stray cat nearby. “Oops,” she chortled, watching the cat scamper off into the darkness before looking up at the clouds. “We sure punched a hell of a hole in those clouds.” She commented before  turning to Sooyoung.

“You have a cell phone?” Taeyeon asked in amazement, watching her friend press a few buttons on the touch screen device before shoving it inside her pocket.

“I do,” Sooyoung replied, “I’ll get you one later.”

“Why would I want one? I won’t be  able to call anyone but you.” Taeyeon shrugged indifferently.

“And Yoona,” Sooyoung corrected, “It’s for emergency purposes and for you to be able to talk to me normally without people thinking you’re mad; remember, humans can see you, but they can’t see me. Wouldn’t it be weird if you saw someone talking to themselves?”

“I guess so. Where are we headed to?”

Sooyoung turned and gave Taeyeon a questionable look, glancing at her from head to toe. “My place. Where else did you want to go?” she asked in a rather sarcastic tone.

“Sounds good.” Taeyeon smiled, appreciating her friend’s sarcasm.

The two had been friends for almost a century and nothing would stop them from meeting each other for a drink at least once a week, despite their busy schedules and never ending deadlines.’ A friend in need was a friend indeed’; Taeyeon was grate towards Sooyoung, for she was the one who helped her loosen the chains that bounded Taeyeon to Miyoung. If Sooyoung hadn’t taken Taeyeon under her wing, that girl would still be wandering the plains of the Earth, feeling hurt, tired and lonely until she finally disappeared into dust.

 

 

“What’s your name?”

“Who wants to know?” A dishevelled Taeyeon asked, her hair in an utter mess, her eyes red and swollen.

“No one important. Actually, your name isn’t important.” Sooyoung said coldly, folding her arms as she looked down at Taeyeon, who was sitting there in the middle of the field.

Taeyeon couldn’t help but feel a small prick in her heart when she heard that. “Yeah, you’re right, my name isn’t important. I’m just some wandering ghost who can’t go to Heaven nor Hell, destined to wander these barren plains for the rest of my days.”

“How long have you been wandering?”

“A decade; and I’m already wishing that I could just turn into ash. My existence is of no value if I don’t have the one I love.”

“Psh,” Sooyoung snorted, “Typical lovelorn idiot. Fine, let me put you out of your misery.”

Taeyeon jerked her head up to look at Sooyoung, only to find a blade being pressed at her neck. She could feel the cold blade against her skin; her body started to turn cold. She looked down at the blade before looking up at Sooyoung. “Your blade,” she said, “it’s cold.”

A smirk flashed across Sooyoung’s face as she swung the blade away fromTaeyeon, only to knock her out with the hilt the moment she heaved a sigh of relief. A loud ‘oof’ was the last sentence Taeyeon said before she out from the impact.

 

 

 

“Take off your shoes before you come in.” Sooyoung reminded, glaring at Taeyeon’s shoes which had almost made their way into the house.

“Sorry, I forgot.”

A smile came over Taeyeon’s face as she stepped into the warm house. “It feels warm.” She smiled to herself as she ran her fingers on the walls, feeling the courseness of the wall. Kicking off her socks, she stepped onto the soft carpet, delighted to find it to be made of artificial fur. “Not as warm as the one I used to have in my home but it’s close enough.” She thought as she threw her coat across the room, where it hooked perfectly onto the coat rack.

“Sorry to interrupt your little game of throw-the-coat but I thought you might want to look around.” Sooyoung said abruptly.

Taeyeon gave a small smile and nodded her head. “Sure, why not?” she said, getting back on her feet.

“Alright, so this is the kitchen, you can find dry foods in the pantry, fruits, poultry and drinks will be in the refridgerator.  There’s a bathroom at the other end of the kitchen. My house has three floors, level two would be where my game room and your room will be. Level three is where mine and Yoona’s room is but feel free to go explore our room; we’ve got nothing to hide. Everything inside your room is labelled and I’ve put a notebook on your desk with the location of everything else in alphabetical order.” Sooyoung explained in full detail, leaving Taeyeon in awe.

“You would’ve made a great hotel receptionist.” Taeyeon said genuinely, but only received a slap on the back of the head.

“Serves you right,” Sooyoung smirked as Taeyeon groaned in pain, “I’m gonna go try to find the person who took your watch. You stay right here alright? If we’re lucky, we can leave by tomorrow and go back to our normal lives. If I can’t find that person by the end of the night, I’m going back up to The Office to write in a report for you and fill in some forms for your extended leave of absence and transfer of duties.”

Taeyeon gave a nod of agreement. A flash of lightning, a rumble of thunder and with that rain started to fall. “Again?” Sooyoung sighed, “Damn it.”

“You could just dematerialize.” Taeyeon pointed out flatly.

Sooyoung rolled her eyes sarcastically at Taeyeon. “Duh,” she said, “But you know… Sometimes, I miss being human too. And I guess getting wet in the rain is just part of being human.”

“So I wasn’t the only one, even Sooyoung.” Taeyeon thought, smiling to herself after finding out that she wasn’t alone.

“I can’t remember when was the last time I materialized myself in the human world but I, too, miss that feeling.” Sooyoung stated.

Humans. We always take things for granted. We look at what others have on them rather than what we have on ourselves. We whine, we grumble, we complain about the tiniest setbacks in life but we make small achievements seem like we just won an OSCARS. We struggle to be at the top, stepping on everyone beneath us in order to reach our goal. In reality, humans are the ugliest and most dangerous animals alive. Yet there is something about us, something special..

Something human.

That little something makes us unique. It makes those that were once human, wish that they could be human once again.

“Tae, before I forget. Here, take this.” Sooyoung called out, hurling a necklace towards Taeyeon.

“What’s this?” Taeyeon asked, holding up the necklace and examining the aqua blue stone closely. “Your eyes are coming together,” Sooyoung warned, “It’s a pill, that pill contains a portion of my power that I stored for you; about 50 to 55%. It may not be much to you considering how much magic you use in the process of casting your spells but it should be enough for you to defend yourself should anything happen to you. Use it wisely though, it can only be used once.”

“Thanks. I will,” Taeyeon replied, “Don’t take too long alright?”

Sooyoung turrned half her head back, a ghost of a smile flashing across her lips before she turned her back on Taeyeon, closing the door behind her.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Heyyyyyy miss me? Hahah alright guys hope you enjoyed this chapter and I’m sorry for not updating. Real life caught up with me. I will have more for you soon since now I have a 2 month holiday and I hope to hear what you guys think about this chapter (:

Thank you all for supporting me and to all you new subscribers, thanks for reading and it would be awesome if you could just leave a comment to tell me what I can improve on. Alright I’ll get going now, haha. Bye guys,

 

 

 

Time out~