Summer's Last Hope

CharmBracelet

 

Min Young walked into the high class apartment she shared with Shin Hye, absolutely void of energy.  Min Young took a look around the apartment. She thought about how both Shin Hye and her own parents were generous enough to buy an apartment for them. Min Young glanced at the living room, the gorgeous view outside the large glass doors that separated the living room from the balcony, and finally decided to grab a bite from the kitchen.

 

She figured that Shin Hye was in the shower since her room was empty. Min Young searched through the kitchen for something edible. In the back of the fridge, she found some noodle, but put it back down. She suddenly didn't feel like eating anymore.

 

She sighed and dragged herself across the glossy wooden floor to her room. Min Young plopped down onto her Hello Kitty furnished bed. Staring up at the bright lights, Min Ho's face invaded her mind. His image, that smiling face of his, emitted rays those irresistible, boyish charm.


Min Young grunted in frustration. She twisted her body to stare at her computer. Sighing, she hesitantly switched on her PC. Knowing that Eun Hye would be the first to IM her, she prepared a speech in her head.

 

Once she was signed on, two windows popped up: one was inevitably from Eun Hye, the other from ... Min Ho.

 

She decided to ignore Min Ho for a bit while she talked to Eun Hye. Min Young expressed her true feelings to Eun Hye.

 

'It's as if reality is planting soft, deadly kisses on all my hopes for the future. My love life is going down the drain. I'm going to be starting college and he's going to be busy at work. What's going to happen? He'll meet new people. I'll meet new people. Hopefully, the feelings will die and I'll stop caring.'

 

The only advice Eun Hye had to offer was that she try her best to stop thinking about him.

 

Min Young sighed and signed off. She didn't bother reading Min Ho's message. She just didn't need it at the moment.

------

 

Min Ho sat there in his tidy, white room waiting for Min Young's reply. But when she signed off, he knew something was wrong. He couldn't quite put his finger on it, but he felt something weird happening inside of him.

 

------

 

The bright lights shined down on Min Young's delicate face. Her long, raven black hair framed her face. Min Young's head lay upon her Hello Kitty pillow, blanket tucked under her chin. Min Young's eyes fluttered open like butterflies in the springtime. Her pink room seemed pinker than usual. Her attention turned to the figure standing at the door.

 

Min Young was taken aback. Standing in her doorframe, was her trouble of the summer, Min Ho.

 

"What are you doing here?" she asked coldly. Maybe because it was 10 in the morning, or maybe because she still was still bitter about admitting her feelings to herself. Whatever it was, Min Ho's presence was unwanted.

 

Min Ho smiled apologetically. Although he had no idea what he had done, Min Ho felt as if it were the right thing to do. "I'm taking you and Jay to the fundraiser."

 

Sure enough, laughter drifted in from the living room. Jay, her teammate Park Bom, and Victoria's voices wrestled each other in the air, each talking over one another. A yelp here, and a squeal there... and also a girlish scream from her brother.

 

Min Ho shut the door and walked over to sit on the foot of her bed. He glanced around the room and reached for the classic guitar that lay against the wall. Looking down, he spoke softly. "But before we leave, can we talk?" 

 

Min Young watched his every move. The way his lean muscles flexed every time he moved, the way his hair moves with his body. He was perfection to say the least. "What's there to talk about?"

 

"Why are you angry at me? Or so it seems. You slept early last night and didn't bother to reply to me," he looked right at her, staring into her chocolate orbs. "We usually talk 'til 2 in the morning and yet yesterday, you didn't say a peep to me. I texted you and there was no response. I tried calling and you didn't pick up."

 

He searched her eyes, hoping to find a bit of truth, a tad bit of light. He wanted some answers.

 

Min Young looked away from Min Ho. She had no reasonable reply. Min Young was speechless. She had no idea he cared this much.

 

'But maybe he does this with everyone.. Maybe it's not just me,' Min Young sat up and glared at him.

 

"I'm on my period so I'm having mood swings," Min Young knew it was a lie but it was better than telling him the truth. She apologized and asked him to leave the room so that she could get ready.

 

---

 

Before she left, Min Young knocked on Shin Hye's door but there was no response. She opened the white wooden door to find a bed unslept in. Her first instinct was to worry and raise hell. But Min Young knew Shin Hye better than that. 'Maybe she went home to visit her family..' 

 

----

 

"Okay, that would be ... $7.50 please," Bom handed the young girl her snacks and took the money. The swim team was raising money for the year. The pool was open to the public during the summer months and they had decided to sell snacks in front of the entrance. A wooden table was furnished with chips, soda, candy, Gatorade and much more. A steel bench sat behind the wooden bench. On each side of the table were plastic chairs that held ice chests filled with cold drinks. The snack stand went fairly well. They raised about $100 dollars a day.

 

Park Bom was one of Min Young's teammates. She was tall, thin and had long dark hair. Bom was also a very impressive swimmer.

 

Years ago, Bommie, Eun Hye and Min Young had all been best friends. But being that Bommie and Eun Hye were both a year older than Min Young, things had changed in a matter of months.

 

"Oooooh my god!" Bommie jumped up from her seat on the bench and tried to shake an ice cube that Jay had placed in her shirt from it. Jay laughed and grabbed more ice from the cooler that sat beside him.

 

The two chased each other around with handfuls of ice. Others joined in on the fun. Including, Min Young. Bommie dropped a few ice cubes down Min Young's back, causing Min Young to jump in surprise.

 

Before they knew it, the chest was void of ice.

 

Yung Hwa walked out to check on sales but found the swimmers running around with wet shirts instead. He shook his head and sat down, allowing everyone to have their fun. After a while, everyone got tired and sat back down.

 

---

 

"Oppa, stop texting," Min Young nagged at her brother. It was dinner and he still wouldn't put down his phone.

 

"Wait, last text. Bommie asked me some stuff," her brother concentrated on the screen of his iPhone. Mrs. Park came around and snatched the phone from his hands.

 

"No texting at the table. Hurry up and eat." Jay winced in defeat.

 

'Oppa and Bommie have sure been texting each a lot lately... Don't tell me Bommie likes Oppa... Oh god that's awkward!' Min Young stared down at her bowl of rice.

 

----

Driving home that night, many thoughts filled Min Ho's mind. The day had gone by in a blur. He sighed and tried to concentrate on the road. But flashes of her laughing face filled his mind.

‘God, what is it about her? Why am I so drawn to her? She’s four years younger than me! I don't even like her! But there's just something about her.'

 

Min Young's joking voice filled his head. 'Maybe it's my irresistible charm!'

 

Min Ho shook the thought out of his mind. He was going insane! He was imagining her presence... her voice… her face.

 

'I have got to do something soon... or else.'