Bitter Pill

CharmBracelet

 

Humidity fell upon the bodies laying under the arms of a tree. The humidity held them in its arms and refused to let go. There was nothing they could do about the immense heat. Although the sun had set, the playful humidity refused to stop and take a rest. Slowly, a blanket of stars spread across the sky.

 

Min Young lay on her back staring up at the beautiful starlit sky. The constant sounds of splashing water, passing cars, and the strumming of a guitar rang in her ears. Bright street lights and houses lit up in her eyes. She turned towards the beautiful music and giggled as she watched Min Ho stop midway of a song because he had forgotten the notes. He had that silly face of concentration once again.

 

The sound of Min Young's laughter caught his attention. He saw her smiling up at him. Min Ho locked eyes with Min Young. Suddenly, the world disappeared. They stayed that way for who knows how long. A loud honk broke their gaze. Min Ho cleared his throat and Min Young turned back to look up at the night sky.  Summer had passed in the blink of an eye. In a few weeks, school would begin for Min Young, and Min Ho would start working for his father's corporation. They had spent most of their lazy summer days just hanging out at the pool, getting in when they felt like it.

 

-----

 

"I'm going to get in," Min Young stood up to go change into her swimsuit. Everyone ignored her. The allure of Angry Birds had in everyone's attention.

 

Min Young sighed and continued walking. Suddenly, a heavy weight fell on Min Young's shoulders. She stumbled a few feet and the sound of a familiar voice filled her delicate ears.

 

"Weee! Piggy back ride!" It was Eun Hye. "Hurry up, horsey!"

 

"Get off me, you fat pig!" yelled Min Young. She dumped Eun Hye on the ground and it sounded with a thud.

 

"Oof! That's no way to treat your Unnie!" complained Eun Hye.

 

"Yeah well, torturing me with your weight is no way to treat your dongsaeng," Min Young smiled sarcastically as she continued walking, Eun Hye huffed and followed behind.

 

A voice from behind the girls filled the night air.

 

"Wait! I'm coming!" the girls turned to find a very disoriented Min Ho running towards them. Eun Hye's eyes filled with horror.

 

"You're coming with us into the girls' locker room!? ert!" Eun Hye swung her swim bag at Min Ho over and over again. Min Young's eyes widened in amusement. She quickly ran over to save the day.

 

"Superwoman is here!" Min Young stood in front of Min Ho protectively, only to get hit by Eun Hye's swim bag. Min Young grew tipsy and started to fall backwards. "Going downnn.."

 

Min Ho caught her in his arms, and chuckled. Eun Hye didn't stay around to see what would happen next. She was sure that her best friend would kill her when she awoke.

 

"I'm going to go nowww!" Eun Hye flew over remainder of space between where she stood and the locker room doors.

 

As Eun Hye left the scene of the crime, soft summer breezes flirted with the couple standing in the middle of the region. Min Ho ran his eyes over her delicate face. He stopped at her lips. They seemed especially kissable tonight. Min Ho snapped himself out of it when he found himself staring.

 

Min Ho cleared his throat and helped Min Young stand on her own.

 

"Thanks," Min Young started walking towards the locker room. Annoyance fueled her determination to take revenge on her best friend.

 

-----

 

"Unnie! Come here!" hollered Min Young as she walked into the dimly lit locker room. Eun Hye cowardly walked from behind the wall separating the changing area from the toilets. But when Eun Hye saw the look on Min Young's face, she knew right away that something was up. She walked quickly up to her dongsaeng’s side.

 

"What's wrong?" Worry filled Eun Hye's voice.

 

"I think I've seriously fallen in like with Min Ho."

-----

 

Lap after lap, Min Young tried not to think about her newfound feelings. She swam harder, faster. But she couldn't get him off her mind. A few feet away, Min Ho was swimming by himself. It took all of her strength to not turn her head. Min Young was frustrated. It had been awhile since she'd liked anyone this much. Min Young typically tried to avoid these kind of situations, these kind of people. Her frustration pushed her harder. turned into laps and laps turned into marathons. Before she knew it, she had done 50 laps with little rest.

 

 After realizing there was nothing she could possibly do to stop thinking about it, she stopped at the wall for a drink.

 

Min Young began to reach for her drink, but before her finger tips could graze the Gatorade bottle, a large hand snatched the bottle away. Turning her body, she caught sight of Min Ho downing her drink. Min Young huffed in disbelief.

 

"Oh you want some?" Min Ho smiled sarcastically. Min Young huffed and grabbed the drink. But only a few ounces were left in the bottle. She handed it back to him.

 

"No, you have the rest of it," Min Young answered bitterly.