The First and Last

CharmBracelet

 

With tears running down her face, Park Min Young walked slowly down the halls of her high school for the last time until who knows when. Today she’ll be graduating from high school. Min Young’s starting college in a few months, majoring in creative writing in hopes of becoming a successful magazine editor. She had already cleared out my locker so it was pointless to go there but she did anyways. As she opened it for the last time, Min Young found a note sitting at the bottom of her locker. She picked it up and put it in her locker for later.

            ‘Sigh… After four long years of drama, heartbreak and stress, it’s finally over,’ she thought to herself quietly. Min Young ran her fingers across the cold, metal lockers as she made her way to the bottom of the nearest staircase. She sat on the last step and opened the note. It was handwritten in purple. She chuckled to herself because she knew exactly who had left the note.

            It was from one of her best friends, Park Shin Hae. The note went something like this:

 

            “Hey sweetie! Can you believe we’re finally graduating high school? Just yesterday, we were graduating middle school! I’m really glad we were able to stay friends for so long. We’ve had our personal ups and downs but you were always there for me. No matter what happened, you never left my side and I’m really grateful to have you as a friend. I’m glad you haven’t changed over the years. There’s so many inside jokes, memories, and just things that people will never understand. The newcomers will see pictures of us but they won’t ever know our stories, will never know what happened right before that particular picture was taken. Our lives have been embedded in these walls. Promise me that wherever life takes us, that we’ll come back to this place, to walk in the walls and reminisce about our high school days. We’ll laugh at the stupid things we’ve done, and cry because we can’t go back to it. We’ll scream in the halls like we used to. We’ll run into each others arms like we still do. I really wonder if ten years from now, we’ll remember those inside jokes we made yesterday. Or if we’ll stop in the street just to say hello. I finally realized that the hardest thing in life isn’t saying hello, it’s learning to say goodbye. But this isn’t goodbye for us; we have our future together my best friend. I love you Min Young. And sorry this note is so damn long!”

 

            The tears started once more as she finished up the note. Min Young realized what a long way she has come. From the naïve freshman to the mature senior, so much has changed. She sighed and left the school. The graduation ceremony was to be held that night in the school’s auditorium. Min Young had to rush to get ready.

 

----

 

That night…

 

            The warm, summer night enveloped the audience. Min Young walked on stage to give her student address to the graduating class. Nerves were nowhere to be found, but tears were on the verge of spilling once again. A few minutes passed and an eruption of cheers came from the crowd. She had delivered her speech perfectly. That wouldn’t the last time she stepped on that

stage that night. In fact, she went up several times after that.

 

            “Min Young Ah!” cried Park Jaebeom, her brother. He walked over to her with a wide smile on his face. He just didn’t know how to hide how immensely proud of he was. Min Young had received several awards and a four year scholarship to an elite University in Seoul. She ran into her brother’s arms. Her parents followed close behind. Min Young’s smile seemed to stretch across her face wider than it should. Her face was illuminated with pure joy. Her family had been the loudest ones in the audience.

 

            Min Young’s parents came and hugged her. Following their embrace, more than a 100 pictures were taken with her friends and family. And after that, Min Young and her family went out for a celebratory dinner at one of her favorite restaurants, SJ7.

 

            That night at dinner, Min Young’s mother handed her a beautifully decorated, small, red box. She stared at her mother perplexed.

 

            “Open it,” smiled the beautiful middle-aged woman, “I guarantee you’ll like it.”

 

            “I like anything you give me, mom,” winked Min Young. She held the box in hand and simply stared. She didn’t dare open it, but her mother urged her to. Min Young untied the small bow and lifted the cover. It was a beautiful white gold charm bracelet. It held four beautiful charms.

 

            Min Young examined it closely. The first charm was a delicate, detailed treble cleft and Min Young knew exactly what it represented. It was her love and talent for music, particularly singing. The 2nd charm was a small Hello Kitty. Growing up, she had always been obsessed with the feline. Min Young chuckled to herself. The third charm was a cute fish. At first Min Young was a bit confused, but then she realized it represented her love for swimming.  The last charm was a heart locket. There was a small button that opened the locket when pushed. Min Young pushed the tiny stub and the heart popped open. Inside was a tiny picture of her. She turned to her mother and smiled. Min Young embraced her mother in a tight hug.

 

            Her mother helped her put the delicate, white gold bracelet on. Min Young had simply fallen in love with it. It was absolutely perfect.

 

-------

 

             When they arrived home, there was a red truck waiting outside their house. Min Young stared at the unfamiliar vehicle. Out stepped a guy Min Young had never seen before in her life, but was absolutely captivated by him. He was ... gorgeous. Tall, lean, and well dressed. When Min Young and her family stepped out of their family van, Jaebeom walked over to the guy. Her heart fell.

 

            “Hey Min Ho!” called out Jay, as he walked over to the stranger. Min Young started walking towards the house. She took one look back right when she walked into the house. Jay and the man named Min Ho had started walking towards the house as well.  When they entered, Min Young walked into her brother’s room, pretending to look for something.

 

            Lee Min Ho and her brother walked in to find Min Young searching through his closet for reasons

unknown.

 

            “Did you need something?” Min Young jumped at the voice. She turned to see her brother and his friend standing at the doorway.

 

            “Uh... yeah,” she said raising a hand to brush her bangs away, “do you have any notebooks left?”

 

            “What do you need them for? You’re out of school,” her brother asked, slightly confused.

 

            “Don’t worry about it,” she replied, a little annoyed.

 

            “Oh, you just graduated isn’t that right?” This didn’t come from Jay but the handsome stranger.

 

Jay sighed and walked over to the closet to look for it. She stepped aside for him, as she turned to the stranger.

 

“Uh... yeah,” she was taken back.

 

‘How could he possibly know? What else has that weasel said about me?' Reading the look on her face, he decided to speak before she was creeped out by him.

 

            “Your brother told me.”

 

            “Ohh! I see. Oh by the way, I’m Min You- oof!” Jay had chucked the red one subject notebook

straight into her stomach. She cleared and repeated her name.

 

            “Now get out of my room,” Jay smiled at her sarcastically, “I have important business to talk about with Min Ho.”

 

            “Like what? Figuring out how to fail at asking a girl out... again?” she smiled back innocently.  Min Ho stood beside Jay and chuckled inwardly. Jay smacked Min Ho’s chest with the back of his hand and an “oof!” slipped out of Min Ho. “I won’t bother you two love birds,” winked Min Young as she left the room.

 

            Min Young planned to go to bed early, as early as 12 AM was, but all she could think about was Min Ho. She tossed and turned herself to bed that night. ‘When will I see him again?’