Painless

Opia

October 11th, 2015

I woke up in a prison-like cell, I was still wearing the hospital gown. I looked around and everything was still white except for the doors which were grey, I guessed we were in some kind of basement because there were no windows, There was a simple bed with a drawer next to it, a mirror and a bathroom, all in the same room; I tried to look outside the door's window but I fell about a meter away from it, after I looked down I realized I was chained to the ground and then I heard a laugh.

"Did you just seriously fall?"

I thought I was crazy so I didn't answer.

"Hey, you're not crazy, I'm in the room next to yours, I knew it was a matter of time before they brought you here."

"Who are you?"

"Don't you recognize my voice?"

"The guy who bit me?"

"Congratulations, you've earned the prize to know my name."

He laughed once more.

"My name is Choi Siwon."

"I'm Tif--"

"I already knew that."

"What do you mean? We met two days ago."

"You mean five days ago, you've been unconscious for a while. I think they've been giving you a ton of those stupid pills".

"The pills are supposed to help."

"They are supposed to keep you under control."

"How would you know?"

He didn't answer right away.

"I just do. Also, they must be slowing down the transformation because it's been way too long for you to still control yourself."

"What are you talking about?"

I suddenly heard some people walking towards my room, I walked to my bed and pretended to be asleep, they opened the door and walked towards my bed then they carried me out of the room. I opened one eye and I saw them taking Siwon out of his room as well, I closed them again until I felt the sunlight on my skin and I realized they were taking us outside of the hospital they got us inside a van, with our hands and feet tied they drove us to the Hematopathology Research Institute. I remained calm next to Siwon, after we got there they took us inside a room...actually a cage, there was a king size bed in front of a crystal window next to the bed there was a proper bathroom, there was also a closet with new clothes and shoes, they were pretty simple. After the pushed us inside and locked us up I didn't try to open the door because I knew it was useless, Siwon looked at me and he laughed.

"I guess we're being treated like animals now."

"What's the plan?"

"There's no way out...yet. Why don't you change your clothes?"

"Fine."

I walked to the closet and grabbed a pair of jeans and a hoodie, Siwon picked up a pair of sneakers and gave them to me then I went inside of the bathroom and looked at the ceiling, I knew they must have placed a surveillance camera in there and I guessed it was on the side of the shower, I turned my back to the shower and took off the hospital gown I was wearing, then I noticed that Siwon had hidden and a bra inside of the sneakers, I quickly changed those and placed the cellphone inside the sneakers and then I put on the jeans and hoodie, I hid the cellphone inside of my bra once more and walked out of the bathroom, I put the clothes I had changed inside a basket with the label LAUNDRY. I went out to find Siwon sleeping with some of the clothes he must have found inside of the closet, I didn't get close to the bed and sat on a chair that was next to the bed but then Siwon turned around and in the blink of an eye I was lying next to him.

"What are you doing?"

He laughed.

"You're way too shy. I won't bite you...again."

"It's not funny, I'm in this mess because of you and I don't understand anything that's going on right now because you just won't explain me."

"Not the place nor the time."

"When are you going to tell me what's going on?"

"Calm down sweetheart, you'll know when it's time for you to know."

I was going to stand up but he wrapped his arm around me.

"I told you I wouldn't bite you again, trust me."

"I can't trust you."

"You will."

I remained still until I fell asleep but I woke up after a couple hours because my throat felt dry, I started coughing and I noticed that I was coughing blood, Siwon stood up and looked at me worried.

"Did they give you a different pill?"

He smelled my neck but he didn't find anything abnormal, I kept coughing and then Siwon bit his wrist then made me drink his blood after I drank some of it I stopped coughing.

"You must be really thirsty."

"How can I get some water here?"

"Not thirsty for water, thirsty for blood. You haven't drank any blood since I turned you, the pills only decreased the thirst for a while, your body needs human blood."

"Then why would you make me drink your blood?"

"When vampires aren't able to get human or animal blood we drink our own blood or someone else's blood just to trick our bodies and survive a little longer. Regular vampires can survive for 10 days drinking their own blood, if they don't drink their own blood they would die in 6 days."

"Is that why I was coughing blood?"

"Yes. Seeing that they didn't come after you woke up means they are waiting for both of us to die and examine us."

"Die? But how would they explain--"

"They make up a story where the virus stopped your immune system from working and you died because you caught the flu."

"I can't die! They won't kill me."

"Do you have a plan?"

"No...but I can't stay here any longer."

I showed him the phone and he grinned.

"Will you call the police? They are also involved in this, there's a lot you don't know about our existence miss Hwang, you need to be patient because you might not be strong enough to face the reality you will live in as soon as you escape. It's not so sweet out there for us vampires, you will be targeted by the police and the government and they will make sure they get rid of you and those like you."

"Then what am I supposed to do?"

"Let's wait until you fully develop the virus and you are a real vampire, from this day on you will be through a lot of pain, just try and see if you can make it through that pain."

"What kind of pain?"

"The first thing that will hurt is your whole body, you will feel your muscles getting stronger and the blood running through your veins will hurt because of the chemicals your body doesn't know of, then your mouth because of the fangs that will grow. The greatest pain you will experience is when you have to fight yourself for the control of your thirst for blood, the need for human blood will be stronger and will fight without mercy until it ends up eating your sane self."

"How can I gain control of myself?"

"At first all of your efforts will be futile, you have to fight with everything you've got. If you don't want to harm anyone you will need the same process of healing a drug addict would need, decreasing the amount of blood you drink daily."

I didn't say anything else and just laid in the bed, Siwon was about to get in the bed with me but then he just took a blanket he had found in the closet and put it on the floor, he took his pillow and slept on the floor. I felt like it was wrong for me to let him sleep there.

"It's really cold, why don't you sleep in the bed?"

"Are you sure about that?"

"I'll trust you for now but if you do anything weird I'll kick you out of the bed."

"I won't do anything, besides, I rarely sleep anyways."

"Why?"

"I just have stuff to think about. You sleep, you need it more than I do."

After a while I fell asleep, but the next morning I woke up to an unbearable pain, my whole body felt like it was burning and everytime I moved an inch it hurt even more. Siwon woke up and turned to look at me, I was crying and because of the pain.

"This poison that I introduced inside of your body is just making your muscles stronger, it's also improving your immune system. Be strong and endure the pain."

He caressed my hair and then stood up and brought a wet towel from the bathroom, it was warm and it felt nice when he rubbed it against my forehead. I was able to endure the pain the whole day but then I started feeling cold, Siwon would go to the bathroom and soak the towel in warm water but when he touched my skin with it, it felt really hot. He noticed how pale I was getting, he smiled.

"You're already looking like a vampire now."

"I don't feel pain anymore...actually, I can't feel my hands. Is that part of the process?"

His eyes widened and he held my hand, my fingertips had a blueish color, he quickly bit his wrist again and made me drink his blood.

"Come on, you're supposed to make it. My poison isn't that strong."

I looked at him, he removed his wrist from my mouth but I still had some blood drips on my lips, he placed my head in his lap and caressed my face.

"You can do it Tiffany, I can't be the reason you die."

I slowly closed my eyes until I was unconscious. He tried to get my pulse but it was useless, I was dead.

The doctors gathered in a room the next day, doctor Jung gave him a folder filled with the blood tests results to doctor Blackwood. He skimmed through the papers and then he opened his suitcase, it had 2 journals and 3 notebooks along with some papers scattered around it, he took out the papers and picked one out, it had the information of a woman called Eloise Hale. When he compared the pictures of that woman and I he guessed that she was my mother.

"She's indeed the daughter of one of the successful subjects from the first experiments with the virus. Do the paternity test with her blood sample and Eloise Hale's blood sample."

Blackwood told Jung, but he told him that they had ran out of my blood sample, Blackwood said to get another one.

Siwon hadn't done anything with my body, he left me inside of the bed hoping he would also die soon, but then he heard footsteps coming closer to the room where they held us captive, he carried me inside the bathroom and then locked the door, I was on top of him with my face against his neck. I was suddenly able to breathe again, he got scared and slightly pushed me away, I almost hit my head with the bathroom floor but I quickly stood up. He looked at me shocked, I looked back at him but then I saw my reflection in the mirror, I was paler and my eye color had changed to a garnet red. I looked away and heard the beats of the security guards' hearts.

"Why are we hiding in here?"

"Because they are on to something, I think they want to get a sample from you."

My mouth started hurting, I remembered that my fangs hadn't grown yet but when I opened my mouth I realized they were already there.

"It seems like you grew them while you were dead."

I felt thirsty as soon as I heard them opening the door, after that I couldn't remember anything.