Erased

Opia

October 7th, 2015.

I woke up in a white hospital room, a doctor rushed in wearing a mask, he held a folder filled with papers.

"What am I doing here?"

"Good morning miss, I am Doctor Jung Seok-ho. You've been infected with a virus last night."

"What? How?"

"It's a virus that has been recently been discovered. More like rediscovered, the doctors that first found it were able to control it and make sure it wouldn't appear again but apparently it didn't work."

"Is it dangerous?"

"We found out that if you take some pills everyday you'll be alright. We'll start with half a pill a day to see how your body reacts to it, they don't work with everyone".

"Fine".

"Since we couldn't find any ID's or any medical record, I need your name. I'll come by later with the forms you have to fill".

"My name is Tiffany Hwang. But what do you mean you couldn't find my ID?"

"You weren't carrying a wallet, any relatives we can call?"

"No relatives, just my boyfriend. Can I call him?"

"Sure, I need his phone number and full name, we'll contact him first".

"Where's my phone?"

"You weren't carrying one"

"Is that so?"

"Yes."

After a couple hours, Cheolwoo rushed into my room, I was sleeping while a nurse took a blood sample.

"Hey Cheolwoo."

"What happened to you?" He hugged me tight, I was able to smell his scent and then my throat felt dry. 

"Don't worry about me." He let me go after hearing my hoarse voice, the nurse looked at me.

"Would you like me to bring you a glass of water?"

"Yes please."

She took the test tube with my blood and she walked out of the room, she returned after a few minutes with a glass of water and the pill.

"Please drink this."

I sat down and put the pill in my mouth, then drank a little bit of water and all of a sudden my throat felt a little bit better but when the nurse asked me if I was alright I said I was because I didn't want Cheolwoo to worry.

"A virus?"

"It's not lethal, they say I'll be alright if I take the pills".

"Thank god you're alright. I don't know what I'd do if I lost you."

"I'm fine don't worry about it".

"Well, I have to go back to work, I have to fix what happened yesterday".

"Ok, I love you. Take care of yourself".

"I love you too, try to rest a little".

"I will honey".

He kissed my forehead and I went to sleep, meanwhile some doctors were looking for my information using my DNA but the machines couldn't recognize it, they compared it with another patient's sample using a microscope. The result was obvious, they were completely different so they called Doctor Jung.

"As you can see the difference is huge, it's abnormal".

"You have to leave the room right now, you can't talk about this to anyone. Someone tell Doctor Seo to call Doctor Blackwood".

When Doctor Seo walked into the room, Doctor Jung handed him the blood sample and pictures of what appeared in the microscope.

"She was infected last night but it's weird how fast it developed. It's impossible, none of the infected showed symptoms this fast". 

"We have to find the information about the experiments, Blackwood must have kept it".

"That's why I told you to call him, he knows everything about the experiments. But now, what do you think it's the problem?"

"She's either one of the subjects, but judging by her looks she's the daughter of one of them".

"But that's impossible! They were all killed when the experiment failed".

"It's possible. This is classified but there was an outbreak many years ago so we worked with the police to keep it under control, we're still keeping it under control".

"An outbreak?".

"Someone managed to free the 8 successful subjects we had. We could only find 3 and the other five disappeared, with the records we might be able to know who they were. Ask the girl about her family".

"She hasn't filled the papers, I'll ask her".

Doctor Jung walked into my room while I was watching TV.

"Excuse me."

"What is it?"

"I brought you the registration forms for the hospital."

"Sure, I'll fill it."

"I will do it for you."

"I can do it myself."

"I insist."

"Alright."

"First question: full name."

"Tiffany Hwang."

"Age?"

"23 years old."

"Profession?"

"Chief Editor in Vogue Magazine."

"Mother's Full name"

"Leah Hwang."

"Bachelorette name?"

"Uhh, I don't know it."

"Father's full name?"

"Minseok Hwang."

"You mentioned they died, how did that happen?"

"Car accident, a truck crashed into ours."

"When?"

"2011, October 6th."

"Any siblings?"

"A brother, Teo Hwang. He died in the car accident, he was 6 years old."

"How did you survive?"

"I don't know, no one does actually."

"Interesting."

"What did your mother do for a living?"

"She was a housekeeper, she used to be a writer."

"Your father?"

"Math teacher in a highschool."

"So you don't have any close relatives? A cousin, an aunt or anything like that?"

"My mom wasn't really in touch with her family so I don't know them and my father is an only child. His family do not keep in touch with anyone, I just know their names but they don't know me."

"So your boyfriend is the only "family" you have, right?"

"That's correct."

He asked me about my family's disease history, but I didn't know much of it since we were always pretty healthy. He asked the last question and handed the form for me to sign it, I did.

"Great. I'll check up on you in a while."

"Thanks, umm I'd like to know how long I'm going to be here, I want to tell my boss I won't be going for a while."

"We first have to know how your body reacts to the pills, it's a matter of weeks, even months."

"Oh..."

"Don't worry, We'll let them know"

"I think it's better if I tell them myself."

"We will take care of it."

He smiled and left, I stood up and looked outside a window which had a beautiful view of the hospital's garden. The big tree providing shadow to the bench in front of the pond, I really wanted to walk outside. I wanted to text my boss but they said I wasn't carrying it, I found it weird because it was in my jacket's pocket so I looked for it in there but it wasn't there. Then a man stood up in my room's door, I looked at him confused.

"Umm, who are you?"

He walked towards me and put my phone on my hand, then he walked out of the room.

"That was weird...he must have found it on the floor."

I looked through the window once more and I held my phone in my hands, I turned it on and sent a message to my boss.

"Good afternoon, I'm afraid I won't be able to go to work for the time being because I am very sick in the hospital. As soon as I recover I will go back, call me if you need me."

She immediately called me.

"What happened Tiffany?!"

"It's nothing, I've been infected with a---"

A nurse rushed into my room and took my phone, she hung up.

"What are you doing?! Where did you find it?!"

"I found it in my pocket!"

"That's not true, we looked for it everywhere!"

"Give it back to me!"

I was furious and frustrated, more than I usually did.

"I'm not giving it back! Wait until Doctor Jung finds out."

"I told you to give it back to me!"

"You're going to the isolation ward."

When she tried to walk out I grabbed her arm and threw her across the room, she hit her head with the wall, I quickly took my phone and hid it inside my bra. The hospital's security stood in my room's doorstep, one of them was holding a syringe in his hand, two of them walked towards me and tried to drag me out of the room, I tried to free myself but when they sedated me they were able to carry me out easily. Cheolwoo was coming to visit me but he saw them taking me out so he walked towards us.

"Where are you taking her?"

"Isolation ward."

"What? Do you have those here?!"

"You're not allowed to visit her anymore, we'll keep you updated on her progress."

"What? Let me see her! Tiffany! Tiffany!"

"Sir, you have to calm down. Otherwise we'll take you out."

He stood up in silence, not knowing what to do, Doctor Jung approached him and told him she was going to be alright that it must have been a side effect of the pills, he also told him that it was better for him to stay away for a while and that he would keep him updated on my progress so he just left, he knew something was going on but he wasn't sure of what was it.