Infection

Opia

October 6th, 2015

I woke up early to go visit my family's grave, they had died 4 years ago in a car accident where the only survivor was me. It was always a mystery how I had survived and how my body didn't show any traumas or scratches; I lost my mother, father and little brother and with that I was left alone with my grandmother who died when I was 18 years old and capable of taking care of myself. I wore a black blouse with dark grey pants and my black platforms, after getting ready I went to the coffee shop I usually went to with my father.

We had ran into each other several times before, I just had never stopped to think about it, everytime I looked at his face I knew he looked familiar but I never realized he'd been next to me my whole life. Our second last meeting took place in that coffee shop, that time we were able to talk but if I hadn't stayed longer my fate would have probably changed. A butterfly effect. Once I got to the coffee shop I bought a caramel frappe and once they gave it to me that man bumped into me making me drop my drink, I knew it was an accident because he was reaching out to take a napkin but after it fell he quickly apologized and offered to buy me another one. We lined up, at first he was silent but I told myself it would be rude to just let him buy the drink and not say anything, after a few seconds I got myself to talk to him.

"Umm, you really don't have to buy another one for me."

"This wasn't supposed to happen."

"It was an accident."

He looked nervous but once I said "accident" his expression changed.

"You're right, An accident. Still, I want to make it up to you."

"It's ok."

"Not for me."

After he paid for it I thanked hi,.

"What's your name?"

"You'll find out later."

He walked away from me but I shouted my name, he turned back and whispered "I already know". A group of girls walked in front of him and then he was nowhere to be seen. I didn't think much of it so I just walked out of the coffee shop and recognized Cheol Woo's car, I got in and gave him a kiss on the cheek.

"Hi honey."

"Hey Tiffany, what took you so long?"

"A man bumped into me and made me drop my drink so he bought me another one."

"I see."

"Where are we going?"

"It's a surprise."

He started the engine and as soon as I realized he was driving us to the graveyard I looked at the backseat and saw a bouquet of white chrysanthemums, I asked him to stop at the flower shop and I bought a bouquet of red roses because my mom loved them. We parked close to the graveyard and then we walked all the way to where they remained, he thought I was crying when I stopped a few meters before them, but I wasn't, I was just overwhelmed because I hadn't visited them in 2 years so I felt embarrassed. He took my hand and walked me closer, I placed the bouquets on every grave and we prayed for a few minutes.

"Hello, my name is Lee Cheolwoo, I am Tiffany's boyfriend. I am slightly younger than her but I love her very much and am able to protect her. I apologise for not introducing myself before, this is my first time coming here with your daughter. I would have been so happy to meet you, but I hope you'll watch over her."

He looked at me expecting I would say something as well but since it had been such a long time I didn't know what to do. Then he stood up and walked away from me.

"I guess I have to do this as well. Umm...hey mom, dad, Teo. I am really sorry for not visiting you for the past 2 years but I just feel weird and guilty everytime I come here. I wish everyday I had been the only one who died because of the accident, I don't deserve to live for you... I could never replace the amazing people you were. I hope you are proud of me and that you'll keep watching over me...I love you all."

In my head I was able to hear a voice whispering "Don't walk alone at night", it sounded like my mom's voice but I didn't think much of it because I thought it was because I was really uncomfortable there. We left and Cheolwoo got a call.

"Yes, I understand. I will come right away". He hung up.

"What is it?"

"They need me at the office".

"Did something happen?"

"Yeah, someone erased all of our files and cut all the computer wires."

"Why would someone do that?"

"I know! We have nothing important or compromising, it was just a study."

"So you guys will have to start over again, right?"

"Unfortunately, I will drive you home and go to the office".

"Can you drop me off at the magazine's HQ?"

"Are you sure you want to work today? You should take a rest."

"I have a lot to finish, I promise I won't stay there late. Besides, I left my car there yesterday."

"Fine, but I'll get mad if you're not home by 10 pm. You have to take a break, you work too much."

"Thanks for worrying about me but I've taken good care of myself for a really long time. I'll be just fine."

"Still..."

"Still nothing, let's go."

"He drove me there and I finished at 9 p,, so I thought that I would make some progress on other stuff but I knew I was going to stay longer so I tricked Cheolwoo into thinking I was already going home.

"Hi baby"

"Did you finish what you had to do?"

"I just did, I'm going home now."

"Thanks for listening to me, I really appreciate it."

"No problem"

"I have to stay a little bit longer, I'll try to recover the data."

"Don't stay there late."

"I know. My limit's 10:30"

"Ok, I love you. Bye bye"

"Love you too."

I received a message from my boss giving me another task, I started it as soon as I received the message, I finished at 11:40 pm and after I organized my desk I went to the parking lot and looked for my car keys but I couldn't find them in my purse, I thought I might have left them in my desk so I decided to walk home instead since it wasn't that far from where I lived, I just had to take a bus, only problem was that the bus stop was really far from my office. I walked hurriedly to the bus stop and I got on it, once it reached the bus stop close to my house I got off. My apartment was 5 streets away from the bus stop and next to my building there was an alley. I crossed the 4th street and overheard people shouting and throwing stuff around, I walked faster but when I got closer to the alley the sounds got louder. I looked that way and saw four police officers standing in front of a man, he looked familiar because of his clothes and I realized it was the man in the coffee shop. He knew I was looking at him so he looked my way and I was able to see his red eyes for the first time, he smirked and in the blink of an eye he stood up in front of me staring at me intensely, I was frightened...paralyzed. Because of that I let go of my handbag and felt his breath on my neck, the police officers were telling him to leave me alone while running towards us. Bang. He bit my neck and he fell after his teeth left my neck, I touched my wound feeling the blood running down my body, the policemen approached me slowly, my gaze became blurry all I could see was them calling an ambulance. My throat felt dry and my chest tightened, I fell on my knees feeling weak.

"Help me..."