Reconciliation

Falling Slowly
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Mark's POV

"How is he?"
"He's already resting, father."
"That's really great to know. I'll have a doctor come in every week to check up on him so don't you worry, okay? He will be fine."
"I just hope so. Dad's been really strong. I guess his body is giving up."
"Chin up, son. We'll do the best that we can. He will get better."
"Thanks, father."

It's been two months since I left Hondo. It's been two months since my dad had another episode of his . This time, it left him paralyzed. I was at the hospital, watching over him when we were visited by the King and Queen of Chang Ho. They told me that they would be taking care of my dad's medical bills if I would do this one thing for them; a DNA test. I agreed to it since I really didn't have the money at that time to have my father get the treatment that he needed. I wanted him to get better and if doing this for them meant my dad's wellness, I'm willing to do anything. Few days passed and the results were out and given to the royal couple. The king of Chang Ho came back, giving me the amount that was needed for my father's treatment and even more that would aid him in his condition.

"Your majesty, I really couldn't accept this. I don't know how a mere DNA test would sum up to the help you're giving." I told him.
"Can I tell you a story?" The king asked me, ignoring what I just said.
"Of course, your highness." I told him.
"Sit with me." He said as he motioned me to sit on the sofa in the hospital room.

"Twenty two years ago, my wife bore a child. He was healthy, he was full of joy. He was the only heir to the throne of Chang Ho. We named him Yi En which meant abundant grace. He was our treasure. At that time, Chang Ho was in great tension with another kingdom who wanted our military power gone. They would do anything just to have our kingdom's military power vanish. They wanted the royal family to crash. Because there was only one heir to the throne, our son, they took advantage od that. One night, he was gone. We were in the hospital because he got sick. They took that as a chance. They took him away, bringing him far from our kingdom. We tried looking for him in the neighboring kingdoms but up to no good. He had a birthmark on his wrist and face. With him was a pouch from the hospital that had his identity. That was all that we could use to find him. We almost gave up as years passed but then we saw you. You were a reflection of me when I was your age. My wife knew in an instant that's why she called you Yi En. Our son was born September fourth as Mark Yi En Tuan." He told me and my world just jumbled up. What?
"A-are you telling me t-that."
"The DNA test was a match. You're the lost heir of Chang Ho."

It took quite a while for me to digest everything that the king had just told me. I'm a prince? It took weeks for me to fully understand the situation that I am in and in a matter of a month, my dad and I moved to Chang Ho. I was welcomed warmly by my real parents, pulling me into their embrace. It did feel like home. I looked at my dad and he was smiling at me. The king was happy to have my dad live with us here in Chang Ho. It is the least he could do for my foster father whom I came to treat as my true father. It took a while for me to get used to this life. I stayed with my dad in his quarters for most of the time, looking after him. He told me that he knew that I was destined for such greatness but I know everything for me wouldn't be the way it is without him. I went back to my room to retire for the day. Other than meeting with our royal council regarding the announcement of my existence, I am just really tired. _______'s right. The royal council are vampires; they the life out of you. I laughed at the memory of my princess. It's been three months since I last saw her. Three months since our last kiss. Three months since that faithful night. As much as I want to go back to her, I can't seem to find the strength to. I left her because I didn't want to be selfish and let the princess give up her crown for her body guard. Now that I know I am a prince, will it still be okay if I come back and tell her I love her? I didn't even say goodbye when I left. I really miss her. But I bet she hates me for leaving.

On the fourth month of being prince, I had a meeting with my parents and the royal council regarding inheritance of the throne. Four months isn't that special. I'm just counting. There are some few things that I have to do to in order to be able to inherit the crown. First, of course, I have to be the prince which is pretty much given already. Second, I'll be getting the title of Commanding General of our military because our military is the backbone of our kingdom and I have to lead it and stuff. Since I already had years of training with Hondo's military and service for their royalty, that can already count as my military service here in Changho in addition to that one month service that I just finished. Technically, those are the only two that I have to fulfill. All of that would take effect in a few weeks after the official declaration of my existence as the prince. Minor requirements include getting married. I'm not really required to but my parents insisted that we have a talk with the royal council about this. I am actually excited and nervous because I already have someone in mind. Our meeting started with, of course, some rules to consider regarding a eligible wife. She should either be of royalty or of high military rank. Kind of scary though if she's from military. The royal council laid out different candidates on the screen for me. I have no deadline on this, they're just giving me some options.

"The queen and I have something to propose to the royal council and, of course, our son." My father said.
"What is it your highness?" The head chancellor asked.
"For diplomatic reasons, and of course friendship, the queen and I personally wrote a letter to the Kingdom of Hondo regarding the acknowledgment of our son as the prince and eligible bachelor for their princess. They have just written back and would love for our family to visit once again; this time, we will be bringing Mark with us." My father said and smiled at me. I could just feel my heart burst from happiness with what he just said yet I felt so scared because I know that she's really mad at me and would have my head when she sees me again. But the feeling of missing her has already gotten my head up and out. The council flashed _______'s profile on the screen and I can't help but smile. Ever so beautiful, the princess of Hondo will always have my heart.
"Princess _______ of Hondo, age twenty, excellent educational achievements, not yet engaged nor in any relationship." One council member read her profile out loud.
"An eligible wife for our prince." He said.
"If I may just say, your majesties." Another said.
"Go ahead."
"My brother is from the royal council of Hondo and he says that the princess has been rejecting all eligible bachelors that were presented to her, should we be concerned about that?" He asked.
"Don't worry about that. That is why a royal visit has been called for. And, of course, I am positive that Mark can be an exception." My mother said and held my hand tight.
"Alright your majesties. We will be preparing necessary documents for this with the prince." The head chancellor said and I nodded.

After the council gave me some documents to handle, our meeting ended and we left to go back to our palace. On the way back, I couldn't help but think how my parents are so optimistic about this when I'm feeling scared, nervous, and almost about to faint with just the thought of seeing her again. I never actually told them about my relationship with _______. All that they know is that I used to serve as her body guard.
"Don't worry, son. She'll be happy to see you again." My mother told me.
"It's just. I feel so bad to have left her like that and we haven't talked for a while. I don't know how to apologize. I feel so scared."
"You don't have to be. King Junho and I had a chat a few days ago after I wrote that letter. When I told him that you were the prince of Chang Ho, he was beyond happy because he was getting worried about their daughter. I asked him why and what happened to the princess and all that he told me that she was heartbroken because the man she loves left her." He said and I bit my lip, looking down at my lap.
"He was her prince, her knight in shining armour; he sacrificed for her because she needed to be the princess and he thought he can never be her prince. The king told me about your resignation from the service. I know that you wish you had known you were a prince earlier but it's not too late to apologize and win her back. Hearing what the council had just said, I know she's still waiting for you to come back."

"In a few days time, son. Things will go for the better."

_______'s POV

It's been four months since Mark left. Each day, I would miss him. Each day, I would long for his comforting presence. Each day, I would crave for his touch. Ever since he left, I felt that my entire world plunged into chaos and that I wasn't safe. I needed him back. I wanted him back. My prince. The council laid out all possible bachelors for me to choose from and each time, I'd turn them down. I made up reasons just so I can get more time. I needed to find him. I tried calling his home but there was no answer. I tried calling him but he wouldn't answer either. It was hurting so much. I had some men try to visit him at his home and all that they have to tell me was that nobody lived there. He's gone. It broke my heart thinking that he really is gone for good. I sat in my study, alone. Each day, I lock myself in this room thinking of ways on how to find him. The council is getting impatient of my excuses to not listen to them. I know a princess shouldn't be like this but I couldn't let go of what my heart was yearning for. Mark.

"I wanted to fight for us. I just needed time." I looked at the photo of us that I had on my desk. I had some of them printed so I could see him still even when he's not around anymore. This picture was from the last few days that I had with him. I miss him so muc

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter