You're Mine

Falling Slowly
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

_______'s POV

I woke up the next morning feeling a really bad headache. I stayed in bed, not having the strength to stand up. I just closed my eyes, hugging my covers tight. Then I remembered. I kissed Mark. I held onto my head, trying to contemplate whether it was just a dream or it really did happen. I remember so clearly how his lips felt, how his kiss tasted, and how he said those words that I've been longing to hear. He loved me too. My heartbeat went faster. It felt too real to be a dream. I am so confused. But every bit of me wanted every bit of it to be true. He's the one I love. I just wish the council would accept 'love' as the reason why I'd want to be with him. I gathered all my strength and sat up. I stood up from my bed and walked slowly to my door. I held on the know, contemplating whether to open it or not. I know he's just outside and that's what's making me nervous. If it wasn't a dream, wouldn't it be awkward and I don't know. Movies would often show that the guy might leave after the love confession and maybe what's also scaring me is that he might not be there when I opened the door. I took a deep breath and slowly opened the door, peeking outside. He was there. He shifted his gaze on me and gave me a smile.

"Hi." I awkwardly smiled back.
"Good morning, your majesty." He greeted with a smile. I panicked because his smile was just gorgeous that I just slammed the door.
"Nice one, _______." You are the one who's making things awkward.

I buzzed in a maid to bring me some breakfast and something to get this headache out. I sat quietly on my bed, waiting for my food to arrive. How do I go about this. If it did really happen, it would be super awkward because I initiated the kiss and I said 'I love you' first. But he kissed back and said 'I love you' back so that shouldn't be awkward, right? Why am I overthinking this? I sunk on my bed and kept on thinking. This is so hard. I know my parents would be somehow okay with this but the council, for sure, won't be. I should act normal. Just like always. Maybe things won't be awkward. It will be just me who would make things awkward. The day went on and I was super cautious the whole time. If it was all real and he remembers, it would be so embarassing. Maybe his 'I love you too' was the dream part of it all and he pushed me away mid-kiss. _______, why are you like this? I sat on my desk inside my study and, unlike normal days, I had him stay outside. It went on like this for the whole week because whenever he was near, I feel so flustered and nervous. Now that I am super conscious of my feelings about him, I have no idea how to hide it. I think my parents noticed my weird ways that they questioned why Mark is at an awkward distance for the past week. Mark went home for the night. I gave him this Sunday off so he could spend it with his father. I don't have anything to do anyway on a Sunday other than relax with my parents. Besides, I guess this would give me the time to think and maybe open up about it with my parents. I scrambled out of my room and ran to my parents' room. I peeked a bit and saw that they were happily relaxing on their bed, watching some news on the TV.

"Your majesties! May I enter!" I exclaimed as I opened the door a bit more just so I can make that announcement.
"Of course, princess." My dad laughed. I entered their room and greeted them with a bow before sitting down with them on their bed.

"I have three more weeks." I started and they just looked at me.
"The council's deadline?" I reminded them.
"How is it going on your side, honey?" Mom asked me.
"Looking for a suited bachelor, not so good. I haven't really made an effort into it." I sighed.
"But..." I started. "I actually intented to not make an effort at all." I confessed.
"Why?" My dad asked, confused with what I just said.
"Because I already found my prince." I told them and they smiled.
"Well, will you tell us about this prince of yours?" My mom chuckled.

"Hmm. I guess he has all the qualities of prince charming. His smile is as bright as the sun. His eyes twinkle like the stars. He stands firm as if he was the general of an army. He sweeps me off of my feet and most importantly, he's my knight in shining armor!" I declared.
"It's Mark, isn't it?" Dad asked me which caught me off guard.
"H-huh?"
"Dad's instinct. Do you really think I don't notice all those little quirks you have when he's around?" He laughed.
"It's okay, _______. It's perfectly fine." He told me. "I can feel how much you care for him. I do read your declared hours for him, you know. No wonder his shifts have discrepancies from what you have submitted." He laughed.
"A-are you mad?" I asked him and looked at mom too.
"No, honey." My mom said as she my cheek.
"But do know that, because of his status, he's not an eligible bachelor." My dad had to bring that up again.
"Even if I approve of you loving him, I don't think there's not much that I can do to sway the council. It has to be this way. Even royalty can't have it all." He told me and I felt my chest get tighter and my tears pouring down my cheeks.
"I know it's hard, honey. As a princess, your first and foremost duty is your kingdom." Dad said and pulled me into his arms.

My parents and I had the afternoon to talk. I thought about what they told me and as much as I would like to be selfish and give up the throne, my duty is to my kingdom. It has to be this way even if it means sacrificing the thing that I want the most. It felt really heavy knowing that I have to give this up. This time, I have to force love out but I know I can't. The next day, Mark was back to his usual station and I couldn't be happier seeing him there. Like any other Mondays, I spent the afternoon in my study. I had to finish reading about the royal family of Chang Ho. They would be visiting next week. This time, I had Mark back inside since I really missed his comforting presence. The Kingdom of Chang Ho is the neighboring kingdom. They are very wealthy when it comes to military power. I guess it's something that Hondo lacks. Although we are very strong in economic resources. From what the chancellor had told me, the king and queen would visit for diplomatic reasons for a possible alliance between the two kingdoms. Well, that took a while since we've been neighbors for centuries. Good job, Chang Ho! I spent the few days studying more about their kingdom and some of their traditions so I could appropriate them well when we have conversations. Although I don't feel much of progress since each time, I catch myself staring at Mark. He hasn't noticed because I had him face his back since I turn red whenever I see his face. I am being weird again. It was a quiet afternoon and I think I have exhausted everything that there is to know about Chang Ho. I sat on the couch, hugging some pillows and just thought about random things. Mostly things about that night when I kissed him. I have two more weeks until deadline. If I tell him now, it wouldn't really matter. Right?

"Mark." I called for him and he looked at me.
"Yes, princess?"
"I want to talk. Can you sit with me?" I asked him
"Uhm. Of course, princess." He nodded. He walked towards me and each step he took, my heartbeat got faster. He sat across me and I just smiled at him meekly.
"What do you want to talk about, your majesty?" He asked.
"_______." I told him.
"Oh, right. _______." He smiled. So, how do I start this?

"Can you move closer?" I asked him and it took him a while to follow my request. He scooted closer, close enough that I could reach him at arm's length.
"About that night. At Chaela's party..." I started and he stiffened a bit.
"It wasn't a dream, was it?" I asked him.
"Princess, I didn't mean t--"
"It wasn't a dream, was it?" I asked him again and he sighed.
"No, princess." He said, looking down at his hands. I sat up properly and reached out for his face. I cupped his cheek with my hand, making him face me. I smiled at him and pulled him into a hug.
"I'm glad it wasn't."
"W-what?"
"I love you, Mark." I told him, hugging him tighter. I could feel him relax and his arms go around my body, hugging me back.
"I love you too, my princess." He said which made my heart really happy. We stayed in each others' arms for a while until he pulled away.
"But, we both know that this cannot be." He told me.
"I have two more weeks until my deadline." I told him.
"Until then, you're officially mine and I'm yours." I said and crashed my lips onto his. It was the same sensation, the same sweetness, the same sparks the night I first kissed him. It's just perfect. We pulled away and he smiled at me.
"That's an order, okay?" I told him and he laughed.
"Anything for my princess." He said and kissed my forehead.

Two weeks. I know it wouldn't be enough but it's all that I have and I'll treasure every bit of it.

Mark's POV

From that day on, she was my princess. For two weeks, she will be my princess. It's all that we have but I am grateful to have those two weeks with her. After that liberating talk that we had, I felt lighter yet heavier. She now knows my heart's content, carrying it with me yet the burden of being just her body guard grew a hundred fold. After two weeks, the council will dictate her marriage. She will be the princess of another. If I stay, it will be harder. Knowing her, she'd hold on to me and things would be complicated. Tonight, the King and Queen of Chang Ho would be arriving at the palace. Everyone's busy preparing. _______'s in her room, getting ready for the night. I, on the other hand, would have to meet with the king. He called me in to his study. I bowed in respect once I entered and he told me to sit down in front of his desk. I did as told and he looked at me with a soft smile.

"Are you sure about this?" He asked me as he read through my files.
"Yes, your highness." I told him. He closed the folder and looked at me.
"As the king, it is my duty to also fulfill the requests of my subjects to ensure that their welfare is protected. As a father, it is my priority to maximize the happin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter