Chapter 2

I'll Always Be There For You

"Sera!" Baekhyun shouted as he entered the library.

"What the hell have you done to her?" Baekhyun grabbed Kai, who was holding on to Sera, by his collar.

"No-thing.., call 119, now!"

Baekhyun immediately loosened his grip and fished out his phone.

"Get lost," Baekhyun sneered as he pulled Sera close to him, wiping the blood away at the same time.

"Sera.., you'll be okay, right?" He whispered.

 


 

"Oh, Sera, you're awake- let me get the doct-"

"Hey, mum," I smiled.

"Hey to you too, how are you feeling?"

"Better than ever," I chuckled.

"How long do you think you've been sleeping?"

"It only felt like a nap.., so maybe three hours?"

 

My mother suddenly had her eyes welled up in tears... "It has been a day.." I gasped. Wow. I never knew I had the ability to do that, huh. I probably am that sleepy.

 

"Hey mum, don't cry, I'm awake and well, aren't I?" I smiled as I pat my mother. And she could only smile before getting the doctor to check on me. A few minutes later, the doctor, who introduced himself as Dr Byul, came in.

 

"How are you feeling, Park Sera?"

"Great. Feels good to be awake."

"I have a few questions for you actually..,"

"Oh sure, sure, go ahead,"

"Did you remember where you were when you fainted?"

"Yes.., in the school library,"

"Okay, did you experienced frequent nosebleeds?"

"Uhh, yes to that too..,"

"Hm, all right. That was all, actually. I'll have you stay here for another night for observation purposes, get some more rest, I guess?" Dr Byul chuckled.

"I will," I smiled and nodded.

 

As Dr Byul left, my mum told me that she'll come back in the evening to check on me, though I insisted her not to. I wouldn't mind her company though. Ah. I've always wanted to explore the hospital. Since I'm here, why not? I stepped out of my room and walked down the corridor. Waaay too quiet, and it smells really like a hospital. I saw Dr Byul's office a few rooms away from where I'm standing. What if she saw me out of my bed? I guess I'll have to walk real slowly? As I tiptoed past Dr Byul's office, I could hear familiar voices, all too familiar.

 

"What are the chances of her recovering well after the surgery?"

"About 80-20. She's still young and healthy. I am sure of that."

"The only problem now is to find a suitable donor.., in the shortest time possible," pause. "It'll be detrimental if her white blood cell count gets too low."

I stepped back in astonishment. To my horror, someone tapped me on my shoulder, "Sera-sshi! Why aren't you in your room?"

 

I could feel all eyes on me. Stupid nurse. Did you had to state the obvious that I wasn’t in my room? Dammit. I wanted to run away from everything. And so I did. I know all of these too well. If I don't opt for surgery, I probably would spend the rest of my life doing chemotherapy. If I do, chances are I would become a healthy person- but I didn't want to live thinking that someone would actually be kind enough to donate their bone marrow to me. Didn't the previous doctor told me that my cancerous white blood cells are all destroyed? Why are they back again? Why must I go through this endless sufferings? Why must I? Why me?

I sat on the bench at the rooftop, enjoying the breeze. Surely life is just more than needles poking through my skin, no?

 

"I knew you'd be here," a familiar voice cooed.

"Of course you knew," I smiled bitterly.

"So, you knew about it?" I asked.

"Yeah.., your mum.., she told me,"

I merely hummed in response.

"But you know, your parents are not suitable donors...and,"

"And I'll be depending on machines for the rest of my life, yes I know Kai, you don't h-"

"And I'm a suitable donor."

My eyes widened. Many thoughts started to flood my head. Does it mean I could get cured? Does that mean I could be healthy forever?

"So?" I found myself asking him.

"So... I am willing to donate my bone marrow to you," Kai ruffled my hair.

"Why are you doing this?" I asked, once again. I didn't want him to pity me. No after we broke off to find out that he got cheated instead.

"I, I just, um,"

"Just tell me,"

"I wanted you to give me a second chance... to start anew. This might be a perfect opportunity to do so," So he did really had a motive.

"I don't need your bone marrow, and I'm never giving you any chances," With that, I stomped back to my room, knowing I had to face my mum and Dr Byul.

 

True enough, Dr Byul started to tell me about my condition- like I didn't know it myself. I go to a school, don't you know?

 

"There's this guy called Kai- he is a very healthy young lad, and his bone marrow suits yours,"

"I'm not getting any of that. Just let me rot and die," I said firmly. I am getting no surgery, no transplant, nothing.

"Mrs Park... I think you need to have a chat with your daughter, please convince her," Dr Byul whispered. My mum merely nodded before giving her a fake smile- a very fake one.

"Sera...."

"Mum.. you know what Kai did to me. Though I have forgiven Kai, it doesn't mean I'm willing to give him a second chance to repent. Once bitten, twice shy,"

"Sera.. I'm not forcing you to have a bone marrow transplant. If you really don't want it, it's fine with me... All I want you is to be happy," My mum got all teary. I felt so guilty. I pulled her into a hug while soothing her on the back. What did I do to deserve this misfortune?

"Think about it and come back to me whenever you're ready," Dr Byul said.

 


 

Finally, I'm back home. I hated the hospital anyways.

"Oh? Baekhyun-ah?" My mum grinned when she opened the door.

"Eh? What are you doing here?" I smiled.

"Passing you the homework, what else?" Baekhyun smiled cheekily. Right.. how many lessons have I missed?

"Do you want me to teach you the new topics?" Baekhyun asked.

"Oh my. Yes please."

 

I finally got my work done, with the help of Baekhyun.

 

"So I heard... from Kai," "How are you doing?" Baekhyun said with a cough.

"Dude, are you okay?"

"Yeah," he coughed, "I'm fine,"

"No you aren't,"

"You're the one that is not. Don't be stubborn Park Sera. You should go for the bone marrow transplant."

"I don't want Kai to donate his to me,"

"If I were the donor, would you go for the transplant?"

"Hmmm.. I might think thrice instead of twice,"

"Yah. Be serious,"

"I wouldn't. I don't want to burden you. Plus, you're as 'healthy' as I am," I teased.

"Fineeee," Baekhyun whined.

"But.. is your bone marrow suitable for me?" I mumbled.

"Nah. Didn't even get it checked, aha," Baekhyun laughed.

 

We spent the remaining time talking about anything under the sun- though it was night. It’s funny how we can talk about anything, just anything.

 

"Hey Sera?"

"Hmm?"

"Do you think that.. you should give Kai another chance?"

"You think I should?"

"I mean... he's even willing to donate his bone marrow to you,"

"I know..., but,"

"Do consider, okay? I want you to get well too."

 

I merely nodded. My parents want me to get well. Baekhyun... and Kai too. Most importantly, I want to be healthy again.

 

"I better get going," Baekhyun yawned.

"Yeah, thanks for today, Baek," I smiled.

"Don't smile at me like that. I might melt."

"Wow. That sounds so like Byun Baekhyun."

"Goodnight Sera,"

"Goodnight Baek,"

Baekhyun's words echoed in my mind. Should I give Kai another chance? I should...right?

"Don't smile at me like that. I might melt."

That sent shivers down my spine. I'm not dumb either. Was that like... a slight confession? Ha ha Sera. Baekhyun's just a really good friend.

 


 

"Really? You will?"

"Yeah.. I mean, if-"

"That's great!" Kai exclaimed while he pulled me into a hug.

"Um, yeah..."

"Does it... does that mean you'd give me another chance?"

"I guess... so?" Kai held me even more tightly without replying. I should give him a chance right? But.. why do I feel otherwise?

I told Dr Byul about Kai, and she gladly scheduled an appointment for us, as well as my parents to arrange the day of the operation.

"So, Ms Park, you are agreeing to this operation?"

"Yes,"

"I need your signature here,"

"And, Kim Kai, yours over here,"

My parents signed a bunch of other insurance documents and with that, we were done.

"Okay, the scheduled operation would be next Saturday then, 8 days from today," Dr Byul smiled.

"I'm glad that you made the right choice, Sera,"

I'm glad I did too, right?

 


 

"Hey Baek," I said on the phone while checking out the time, 8 P.M., 4 hours before I have to fast.

"Yeah?"

"Do you wanna hang out at the rice cake shop?"

"Sure, let's go now?"

"Yeah, see you in 5," I replied as I hung up the phone.

"Mum, dad, I'm going to hang out with Baekhyun, promise I'll be back by eleven-thirty!"

"Alright! Take care dear!" My parents cooed.

I stepped outside and waited for Baekhyun.

"Hey."

"Hey you."

"What?" I raised my hand wanting to smack Baekhyun's head when he caught my wrist instead.

"Loser,"

"You're more of a loser," I said.

Without knowing it, we've arrived at the rice cake shop.

"Two servings of spicy rice cakes!" I shouted.

"Coming right up!" The ahjumma running the shop replied.

"Everything okay?" Baekhyun asked.

"Yeah.., I’m just a little afraid,"

"Don't worry, Kai's bone marrow suits yours perfectly,"

"It doesn't mean there'd be no risks right,"

"It's okay, you still have me,"

"You?"

"Um, I mean, I'll be cheering for you outside the operating theatre," Baekhyun replied awkwardly.

"Oh," I smiled. My heart starting beating a little quicker.

Shortly after, our rice cakes were served and we dug in.

"This is the best rice cakes ever,"

"I know right Baek?"

"They're as spicy as me,"

"Shut up and eat," I joked.

 


 

I changed into the hospital's gown and sat on to the wheelchair. Kai was on the wheelchair next to mine, and soon, both of us will be wheeled into the operating theatre. I'm not sure how successful this transplant would be, because there is a 20% chance of it failing. But it's too late for any regrets. Besides, I really wanted to get well.

"We'll wheel you inside the operating theatre in 10 minutes. In the meantime, keep calm and take deep breaths," The nurse instructed.

Kai placed his hand over mine and gave a light squeeze. I smiled in reassurance.

I stood up and walked to my parents, hugging them as if it was my last.

"You're going be fine, Sera. Don't worry, you'll be in good hands," my dad assured with a smile.

Baekhyun was there too. I walked to him and gave him a hug too. His hug still feels as warm and comforting as ever. I wish I could hug him all my life.

"Baekhyun.., there's so much for me to say to you.. but most importantly, thanks for giving me courage,"

"and I'll tell you the rest after the Op, okay?"

Baekhyun nodded and hummed in response.

"I'll be here waiting for you."

 


 

Baekhyun's POV.

It was about 5 hours into the surgery. I couldn't wait for the Op to be over. They said that no news means good news eh? I just hope that the surgeon wouldn't rush out with bad news, as seen in drama serials. Everything is going to be fine. Sera, and Kai. Truthfully speaking, I hate it whenever Kai has his arms around Sera. It felt like she didn't belong there. Not with Kai. But if she was genuinely happy with him, who am I to stop her from being with him? I must admit, I do like Sera.. just a little more than a friend.

"Your daughter is in critical condition," But because I knew that Kai is able to give Sera more happiness than I could, I decided-

"Who is in critical condition?!" I stood up after being in deep thoughts.

"S-sera. Park Sera." The surgeon stuttered. I was in shock.

"Kai's condition has stabilized. Somehow Sera's body rejected the foreign tissue that was transplanted into her body. She's losing blood and she needs another transplant ASAP."

"I'll do it." I said. I was prepared for this.

 


 

A few months before when I found out that Sera had leukemia, I went to the doctor to have myself checked, as well as to know whether I was a suitable donor.

"Has Sera agreed to the Op?" Dr Byul said.

"Er, nope, but I'm convincing her to go for it,"

"Well, you're a suitable donor though your body constitution is weak." Dr Byul assessed my health report.

"What can I do to boost it?"

"Um, take more red meat, vegetables, fruits, and mostly importantly, plentiful of rest."

 


 

"I said I'll donate mine, hurry!"

Dr Byul came out of the operating theatre and acknowledged my request.

"He's a suitable donor, I got him checked." Dr Byul said to the surgeon.

"Alright, come this way," the nurse ushered me.

Without wasting any more time, I went to Sera's mum and handed a letter.

"Mrs Park, I know my body constitution is poor and I'm not sure if I would make it out alive. But it's alright. I'll do anything for Sera. Please pass this letter to her if..., if I never wake up again," I croaked.

"Baekhyun...don't say that. I- i don't know what to say. Be strong, we'll be praying for you, Sera and Kai will, too."

With that, I went to the preparation room and soon wheeled into the operating theatre when I saw Sera. Don't worry Sera, I'm here...

 


 

Beep. Beep. Beep.

I could hear the sound of the machine beside me.

"Hey Sera... how are you feeling today? The operation was a success, you know? Wished you could wake up soon,"

Mum.. I can hear you.. but I can't, I can't respond to you.

"Sera.. you have been asleep for about three days already. Is the hospital bed so comfortable?"

Lol mum, no. Why hasn't Baekhyun visited me yet? Isn't it the holidays...

 


 

My eyes slowly fluttered open. Damn the light. My throat was so dry.

"Sera!"

"Mum!" I croaked.

"Don't move, I'll get the doctor,"

"Mmm,"

"Her vitals are doing great. She has to go through a few blood transfusions before she can go home,"

Needles again. Poke poke poke.

Without thinking much, I asked,

"Where's Baekhyun?" Dr Byul's and my mum's expressions immediately darkened.

"I'll take my leave now," Dr Byul stepped outside of my ward.

"Mum..," I sat up. "What's wrong?"

"Baekhyun, he's in the ICU." My mum started tearing up. Tears started to well my eyes as well.

"What?"

"Here, this letter.. probably has more than what I need to tell you what happened," my mum excused herself out of my ward.

"Park Sera."

"Hey Sera. I don't know where to start. Aish. I'm not sure how to start all of these, because I have a lot to tell you. Okay. If you're reading this then something, just something must have gone so wrong with your Op. Probably rejection of bone marrow? Infection? And I'm probably unconscious after the transplant. But anyways, I had myself checked before and Dr Byul said I am a suitable donor. I was thrilled to tell you that because I wanted to donate mine to you. However.. Kai came to my apartment later on that day and told me that he is a suitable donor as well, but you didn't want to accept his bone marrow. What could I do? So me being me, had to pull up those loose ends aye? You should've seen how your eyes always sparkled when Kai made you happy. You've should've noticed all the times you mention Kai to me. You might be feeling confused right now, but I'm going to clear them. I like you, Sera. I don't know why, or how, but I just really really really really like you. But I know I can't make you laugh like Kai did. Or give you warm hugs like Kai did. I'm physically weak. I can't protect you like Kai did. And I'm sure that Kai would give you happiness more than I can. So give him a chance, okay? Don't bother about me. Just remember to visit me on my death anniversary okay? Just remember that I'll always be there for you. I wish you well.

Your Angel, Byun Baekhyun"

By the time I finished the letter, I was already in a crying mess. I wanted to curse the hell out of Baekhyun, yet I wanted to be in his embrace again. Who said Baekhyun couldn't make me laugh? Who said he couldn't give me warm hugs? Who said that he couldn't protect me? I'm so confused right now, but I know I needed to see Baekhyun right this instance.

I sat on my wheelchair, beside Baekhyun. He had an oxygen mask on him, and Dr Byul said that his vitals aren't doing good. He lost blood as well, but they still managed to transplant his bone marrow into me.

"Baekhyun..why are you so dumb? You need to wake up right now this instance and hug me. I want to be in your embrace more than anyone else. I want you to crack your lame jokes because it's what make me the happiest. I want you to protect me because I know that is what you always do secretly. Baekhyun-ah... please, it's all my fault," I sobbed.

"Hey.."

"K-kai?"

"Don't blame yourself. Nobody wanted this to happen," Kai patted me on the back although I continued to sob.

"You have to get yourself together. Recover fast. I'm sure that is what Baekhyun would love to witness."

 


 

"Baekhyun-ah. You've been asleep for a week. That's seven days! Anyways, I got my last blood transfusion today. That means no more needles in my life again! Please wake up fast, I want to share my joy with you!"

 

"Yo Baek, do you know finals will start in 2 months' time? I'm damn nervous. What will I do without your help? I think I might fail. Dammit. You've been asleep for 8 days. Don't ditch me, Baek,"

 

"Hey Baek... I got back my quiz results today. I'm screwed. 3 weeks left to the start of the first paper, AP Calculus. I scored 45/50! You'd totally aced that Calculus quiz. C'mon. Wake up so I can show you the questions! Stop sleeping, you can sleep again when you wake up. Wait, what am I talking about? You better not sleep anymore!"

 

Day after day, time passes away. Yet Baekhyun was still asleep. But I know Baekhyun wouldn't ditch me. He wouldn't. I studied really hard for finals this time round. I had to ace it. And because of finals, I didn't have much time to visit Baekhyun.

 

But alas, finals was over. That officially marks the 3rd month of Baekhyun still asleep.

 

"Hi Baek! Today's the last day of finals and I'm really glad it's over. It would've been so much better if you were around nagging at my mistakes, heh. I swore I did my best! Oh and er, Kai has a new girlfriend. She seems pretty decent and I hope Kai doesn't repeat the same mistake twice. Baekhyun.., I'm waiting for you to wake up. Remember what you said to me before my Op? That you'll be waiting for me? Because I'll be waiting for you no matter how long it takes, Baekhyun-ah. Another 1 or 2 years won't change whatever I feel for you. It's because you're Byun Baekhyun."

 


 

"Oh man. Tomorrow's the day that they're gonna announce our results. I can't wait. I really hope I don't disappoint all of you."

 

"Oh my god Baek! I did it! I got first in the cohort! I..I, thank you for the courage that you've given me. You fighting your battle within yourself has given me strength. I can feel it, Baek. Though it has been six months plus...," I buried my face into my palms

"Hey," I looked up to that all-so-familiar voice.

"Glad you did it," he smiled.

"Baekhyun!" I wanted to hug him but I'm afraid I'd hurt him, so I went to get the doctor, unable to control my surge of happiness.

"Wow. Your vitals are doing just fine. Probably a long nap did the trick huh?" Dr Byul chuckled.

"Ha..yeah..?" Baekhyun replied awkwardly.

"You'll be transferred into a normal ward later, and you have to stay for another 3 more days for observation purposes, before you can be discharged." Dr Byul stated before she left.

Baekhyun smiled at her before spreading his arms out. I hugged Baekhyun with all my might. Tears started welling up my eyes, I couldn't control it. I was so overwhelmed by everything- it felt like only yesterday Baekhyun slipped into a coma; but it already had been a good 6 months.

"How have you been?"

"Um, okay I guess.."

"I wanted to say hi to you every time you came to visit me, but my body refused to let me do so."

"You heard everything I've said? I gulped.

"Everything."

 “Don’t cry, you silly girl,”

“I thought you were going to leave me,”

“I’m never gonna leave the girl I liked for so long,”

I smiled. I hugged Baekhyun again before telling him what I wanted to say in the longest time, "I like you too, Baekhyun".

 

The End! :) Hope you enjoyed it!