Chapter 1

I'll Always Be There For You

I'lll Always Be There For You | 5671 Words

(might contain spelling mistakes! do let me know :)!)

It was finally the start- probably the start of something new. She have had enough of needles inserting into her body, tired of being so weak after sessions of chemotherapy. The doctor said that her white blood cell count is back to normal- Thank God. Since young, she had been travelling in and out of the hospital. She was born weak. Her mother told her that she weighed two kilograms when she was born. She, is Park Sera.

 


 

"Sera! Wait up!" I heard a voice coming from behind. Kai sneakily snuck his arm around my waist and pulled me closer.

"How's your day? Doing well?"

"Yeah, pretty much," I smiled.

"Where's Baekhyun?" Kai asked.

"He fainted when we were playing floorball just now," "probably at home now,"

"Ah.. That weak boy,"

"Hey.. He isn't weak," "he's just,"

"Forget about it, why are we talking about him?"

 

I faked a smile. It wasn't nice of him calling Baekhyun weak.

 

"See you tomorrow," Kai said as he pressed his lips on to my forehead.

"Bye~ rest well!"

"Mmm."

I stepped into the lift and punched the button with the number 6, and bid goodbye to Kai. I don't know why he insisted on sending me home every day, when he could call his chauffeur to send him home straight.

I pressed the doorbell at the second unit from the lift, and a half awake boy came to open the door.

 

"How may I help you?" He chuckled. To think that he could still smile.

"Checking on whether you are still alive," I counterattacked.

"Well. Here you go," he spun on the spot, "I'm all good."

"Stop making me laugh, you idiot," "go get some sleep, okay?"

"Yeah, I would, but you're in the way,"

"Seriously? Fine, here's your homework," I shoved a few worksheets to him. He shot me a look.

"And, we're graduating soon- like real soon, so take care of yourself all right?"

"You too," he smirked.

"Why you- brat! Don't jinx it!"

"Did not,"

"Did to,"

"Ugh whatever, bye!" With that, I walked all the way to the other end of the corridor, where my unit was located.

"Mum! I'm home!"

"Omo, Sera, you're bleeding!"

"What, where?"

"Your nose...," Instinctively, my left hand went up to touch my nostrils and I saw blood on my fingers. How long has it been since I saw blood?

"It's okay mum, I can take care of this," my dad's a paramedic, so I know what exactly to do.

After taking a warm shower, (as well as cleaning up the bloody mess) I took out my file, ready to complete my assignments- until my phone vibrated.

It was a photo attachment from an unsaved number. The most horrifying part of it was the photo that this anonymous sent was Kai sleeping next to... my female classmate. Scratch that. One of the most popular female classmate. Didn't Kai told me he had changed? Sure, he had dated and dumped many girls before, but that was in the past, no? Didn't he promised me that he'd devoted his time to me and not to other girls? I didn't want to jump to conclusions- and so, I dialed for Kai.

After a few rings, I heard a soft hello.

"Where are you right now?"

"I just reached home, why?"

"Are you alone?"

"Just tell her already, goddammit!" Right. That wasn't his voice. Nope.

"Look, Sera, I can explain, I,"

"Remember what you told me from the start of our relationship- which I guess it's going to end now." I pressed the end call button. A leopard never changes its spots. We just celebrated 6 months of being together a week ago, and yet... everything is about to end. What bull. What lies? Lies, lies, and more lies. Even if I wanted to hate Kai, I couldn't. I have a soft spot for him, and I have no idea how to eradicate it.

 


 

"Oh Baekhyun! You're here?"

"Oh yes! I need Sera's help for my homework,"

"Sure, she's in her room,"

 

A few knocks could be heard on Sera's door, but she doesn't seem to be responding. The door was closed but unlocked, thus he reached out for the doorknob and opened the door.

 

"Sera... why are you, crying?"

"Oh my, Baekhyun, what are you doing here?" I quickly wiped my tears with the back of my palms.

"What happened?"

"Long story,"

"I could always lend you my listening ears,"

I exhaled. "Kai, he, cheated on me,"

"I knew it!"

"You knew?"

"No, what I meant is I knew he would cheat. It's not his first time already, that bastard-"

"It's okay. Don't curse. He's not worth... your time," I said in between sniffs. God, I probably look horrible as well.

"Hey... your nose,"

"Oh it's bleeding again?"

"Again?"

"Uh, yeah.." Baekhyun passed me some tissues as I pressed my nostrils with my head tilted downwards.

"I'm probably getting heaty, uh, I'll be fine after taking some barley,"

"Why are you here anyways?" I asked. It must have been awkward for him to see me crying.

"I had questions... well,"

"Oh, go on and ask, don't mind about me, I'm fine."

"Seriously? Do you know how terrible you at lying?" Baekhyun scoffed.

"Do you need my help or...?"

"Yeah, but,"

I wiped my tears, "C'mon, I can continue crying later," I chuckled unknowingly.

"You silly girl.... fancy you still smiling even though you got your heart broken,"

"I am not called the 'happy virus' for nothing, aye?"

 


 

"So, how did you know... that he cheated on you?"

"Someone sent me a photo of them on a bed together, sounds cliché but yeah," Baekhyun nodded- an indication for me to continue.

"Well, the girl was definitely ten times prettier than me, a hundred times ier than me, so, I guess...?"

"You guess what?"

"I guess I’m gonna let him go?"

"You're gonna let him go?"

"I’m a coward, I know..."

"Well, if you still like him... you should, y'know, clear up the misunderstanding, if any?"

"Shouldn't he approach me first?" Silence. Baekhyun nodded. Well... I guess I should at least give him a chance to redeem himself if it were to be a misunderstanding.

"Sera?"

"Hmm?" Baekhyun pulled me into a friendly hug. He feels warm, just like his personality. Seriously, the World is in need of such people like him.

"If you ever need someone to pour your sorrows out... remember I'm just a phone call away. Call me and I'll be right there,"

I smiled. It was good to have a friend like him. I love Baekhyun’s warm friendly hugs, but why is Baekhyun's heart beating at such a fast pace?

 


 

I wanted to confront Kai so badly. Why isn't he contacting me? Weren't his last words to me on the phone was 'I can explain'? I was preparing for the next lesson when I saw Kai sauntering into the classroom. We briefly exchanged glances, but no words were spoken of. There wasn't even a "Hi" nor a smile from him.

During break, Kai walked up to me and told me to follow him. So he's finally going to talk, huh? I was thinking of what to say to him, things like "it's okay, baby" or "it's alright, i'm fine" because I knew he would apologize.

 

"Hey," he breathed.

"Uh, hi," I sounded a little way too timid.

"I, no, the purpose of me bringing you here, uhm, I, think we should break up," Kai said. I frozed. Did he just said he wanted to break up? Where were my “Sorry baby” and “It was my mistake”? I was left speechless, dumbfounded, and-

"I swear I didn't toyed you. I, it just feels different whenever I'm with you as compared to Hyemi." I merely nodded. Coward. Park Sera...you're a freaking coward. Why can't you speak up for yourself?

"Uh, good luck in your new relationship..?" The heck are you doing, Sera! I was expecting myself to tear up.. but nope. That didn't happen.

"You !" Baekhyun's fist came out of nowhere and landed on Kai's cheek.

"What the heck, Baekhyun? When were you this strong, you weakling?"

"I'm. Not. Weak." Baekhyun said as he gritted his teeth.

"Stop, stop it," I mumbled.

"You want me to let this guy get away for whatever he has done?" Baekhyun needs to be stopped. Kai has some blood traces next to his lips. Baekhyun was about to give him another punch-

"What do you think you guys are doing?" The discipline master shouted.

"Three of you, in my office, now!"

 


 

"Now, someone, anyone, tell me what's going on?" Mr Song said.

We all remained silent. How could I possibly tell him that Baekhyun was trying to... stand up for me just because Kai cheated on me? No way.. no. absolute. way.

"Baekhyun punched me," Kai said monotonously.

"Why did you punch him?" Mr Song asked patiently. He sure has a lot of patience.

"Because he deserved it, no specific reason why," Baekhyun spat.

"No reason? Should I suspend you for no reason as well?" Mr Song retaliated.

Silence again.

"Mr Song, that's not the case, I, he," I stuttered. It seemed like I couldn't bring myself to admit that Baekhyun was actually standing up for me.

"First warning kids. This is the only chance I'm giving you two. That is all." Mr Song dismissed us by shooing us away.

Kai took his leave first and I was left with Baekhyun.

"Hey... you didn't have to lie," I mumbled.

"It doesn't matter anyways. Mr Song wouldn't do anything to me," Baekhyun smiled.

"But still, thanks. Wouldn't know what to do if weren't for you."

"Nah. Not a problem. Who else would protect you like I do?" He chuckled.

"Yah."

"Truuuuuth!" Baekhyun stuck his index finger out.

For some reason... I don't feel that sad anymore.

 

We all go through high school heartbreaks, I guess I'm not the only one either. It isn't that bad, right? We fall in love, we experience break ups, and we learn how to get back up. The fact that I've decided to move on doesn't mean I didn't like Kai that much - it's all part of moving on from the denial stage. It'll get better, Park Sera...

 


 

I flipped open my assessments while I mentally groaned. Half a year gone, half a year more to go. Technically five, because finals is in December. Oh wells, got to stop daydreaming and focus. Sera.. focus.

"Hey,"

I turned around.

"Uh.., hi," I mumbled. I wasn't sure whether I mumbled because I was in a library, or.. I was afraid.

"How's it going?" He smiled.

"Um, okay, I guess?"

"Ah.., do you mind, if I sit here?" He asked.

"Uhh...o-okay."

"Thanks."

For the next 10 minutes, I spend the time thinking about the guy next to me. Why is he even here when he had blatantly ignored me for the past few months? Wait, I'm not even okay with him sitting here, why am I so afraid of speaking what I really feel? I was so tempted to ask him about his relationship with Hyemi - when I figured out it's actually none of my business.

 

"So how are you...and Hyemi getting along?" See? My brain rules my heart. I still cared for Kai, but probably not as much as before.

"Uh, you don't have to answer m-"

"We broke up, that's all."

"When?"

"A few days back."

"Oh..," I didn't know what else to say.

"She initiated it, said she had achieved her goal...," "probably my ," he scoffed.

"You guys.., really did it?"

"Yeah... we did," Kai mumbled.

"It's all right, Kai," I said as I place my hand on Kai's shoulder.

"You'll find a better girl," I smiled as I felt something warm trickling down.. I was having nosebleeds again. I was about to dig my pocket for some tissue when my head started to hurt - real bad. And before I know it, darkness engulfed me.