Second Encounter (3)

The Strange

Call me a softie but I can’t really help but give in when someone pleads with me wearing an expression as desperate as that kid’s as he called out to me that cold winter night. Besides, I was really curious about what his deal was.

I sighed as I walked back towards him.

“Tell me.”

I could almost swear his face lit up as he smiled at me.

“Um. I need you to find my brother.” He said, looking slightly embarrassed.

“Wait. What?” My eyebrows scrunched up in confusion. “Aren’t you supposed to call the police for these sorts of things? Do your parents know? When did he go missing?”

“H-he’s not missing.”

I must have made a face because he suddenly backed up and raised both of his hands.

“Look, I can explain!” He started, so I waited but he didn’t. I was about to point out the lack of explanation, when he continued, “On second thought, it’s kind of hard to explain.” He smiled sheepishly.

“But you’ve got to believe me! My brother goes to your school. His name is Park Chanyeol. He’s a third year, and he’s part of the school's Music Club.” He continued.

It probably wouldn’t come as a surprise if I told you I didn’t really believe him. Still I forced a smile and asked, “If you know exactly where he is, why do you need me to find him?”

“Because I need you to tell him something.”

“Well, why don’t you tell him?” I shot back, stating the obvious.

“Because,” He started, sighing in exasperation as if he was losing patience for all of my questions. “I’m not allowed to talk to him.”

“Huh.”

He groaned at my non-committal response. “Look, I just saved your life. Can’t you just help me once?”

I scoffed in disbelief. The nerve of this kid. Still, he did kind of save my life. I think.

“Fine.” I gave in, but quickly added, “But I’m not saying anything weird to him, okay?”

“I promise it’s nothing like that!” He grinned, and I couldn’t help but smile back.

“I’m Chanshik, by the way. Park Chanshik.” He said, flashing me another embarrassed smile.

“Well, you finally remembered your manners! I suppose you already know my name.” I teased and he nodded. I was surprised at myself noticing how I was suddenly acting friendly with him. Perhaps it was because of the way he smiled, that he looked like such a nice kid.

“So how old are you, Chanshik?” I asked out of curiosity. Then realizing how late it already was, I added, “Aren’t you supposed to be home by now?”

“I’m, uh, fifteen.” Once again, I can’t help but notice his hesitation when he was answering my question. “Don’t worry about me, though. My parents won’t notice I’m gone.” I have to admit I was starting to feel uncomfortable with how Chanshik’s family situation seemed to be. First, he’s not allowed to talk to his brother; and then, his parents don’t mind him wandering the streets this late? Still, with the way he’s been so cautious about giving details about himself, I decided I’ll wait for him to tell me when he’s ready.

“Alright. Well, do you want to eat somewhere? My treat, of course.” I offered as casually as possible, half-cursing myself for being suddenly all sympathetic towards him.

“No, that’s fine. I’m not hungry. You should get home, though.” I chuckled at how he was trying to act like the adult in this situation, but I agreed. It was getting pretty late and I still had some stuff to do at home.

“Wait. You haven’t told me what I needed to tell your brother.” I pointed out as we were walking towards the train station. It was starting to creep me out that there was no one on the streets besides us, so I tried to make light conversation.

“Oh yeah. Please tell him this, ‘Your brother, Park Chanshik, wants to tell you that: ‘The wolf is among a pack of monsters.’”

At this point I feel the need to tell you of one detail. One small, but pretty important detail—which is: I’m not stupid. I knew the moment Chansik told me those words that they were some sort of code. At least, it sounded that way to me. Gah. Why am I suddenly doubting myself? Still, I opted to be subtle and remarked, “That’s an interesting thing to be telling your brother.”

He didn’t respond to that, to my disappointment, but not to my surprise. I was about to make another less subtle attempt but he cut me off to announce we had arrived at the station entrance.

“Alright. Take care. See you around.” I felt somewhat annoyed that he sounded as if he was shooing me.

“Hey kid, aren’t you forgetting something?” I ask, suddenly feeling irritated.

“What?” He retorted, raising an eyebrow.

“Your manners. You know I’m older than you, right? Shouldn’t you address me as nuna?” I pointed out, raising an eyebrow back at him and crossing my arms.

“Whatever, nuna.” He chuckled and rolled his eyes. “There, are you happy? Now, go home!”

“Chet. Ungrateful kid.” I mumbled to myself, going inside the station without looking back at him.


A/N: Here's the last chapter for tonight! Finally, Chanyeol's in the story. Kind of. :P