Fourth Encounter (3)

The Strange

They say that right before you die, your life flashes in front of your eyes as if in screenshots. I say that’s complete bull because right as Park Chanyeol told me that his brother was supposed to be dead, I saw my life flashing before my eyes. Was I dying? No! Maybe my mind was trying to catch up with what I just heard. Maybe it was trying to keep me from going insane by going through all the moments I shared with the mysterious boy named Park Chanshik.

Did I think Park Chanshik had, at any of the times I’d seen him, looked dead? No. Did he act dead? Does talking with someone count as seeming dead? I didn’t think so.

But then I remembered the first time I met him, when I brushed against him while we were walking that chilly afternoon. Or at least, I thought I did—but I never felt it. All those nagging thoughts whenever I saw him approach me.

Then I remembered the second time I met him. Right outside the school gates when I was about to walk home with Jae-eun and Yaehee, and I told them I was going to ‘handle this’ when he was bothering us. They looked at me in confusion as if they didn’t understand what I was talking about. Back then I thought they were just curious about who he was. But he had looked exactly like Park Chanyeol. Wouldn’t they have recognized him?

And that time he told me with certainty that the passengers of the truck were already dead. That night it was reported in the news that the victims died right on the spot. How did he know that?

Add the fact that he keeps leading me to these deserted places whenever he wants to talk to me. And that people seem to give us weird looks when we talk in public.

“Oh my god.”

I stood there with my jaw hanging, my shoulders limp, and my mind in a state of confusion. Needless to say, I was shocked.

“You’re serious.” I gasped, still having a hard time believing the situation.

He didn’t respond. It was obviously not a question after all.

“Oh my god.” I said for the second time, my mind unable to keep up with all of the realizations I was having at the moment.

“But, I… He… Earlier in the bus” I mumbled, as I tried to search Park Chanyeol’s face for any sign of humor. A part of me wanted to know that he was kidding, and this was his way of getting back at me; but all his face betrayed was sadness, and perhaps intrigue. Then I realized another thing.

“Wait. Three years ago? Then, you guys are…”

“Twins.” 


A/N: I decided to upload this due to changes in the chapter/part count. That is, this is supposed to be the first part of Fifth Encounter. But now, I feel like it's really short so I'll throw in the next one as well! :D