Linked

standing on the line

"I'm sorry, Maam. We cant save your baby" the doctor said to her.

"I'm sorry, Sir. We only managed to save your baby" the doctor said to him.

She wailed.

He cried in silence.

Rain poured that day, like it never before.

 

Choi Seunghyun held the baby close to his heart. The baby is the proof of his late wife's love. He was waiting for his driver to come.

A few meters from him, a woman was standing, holding in her tears. Her black hair covered her puffy eyes. She gripped her bag tightly. 

Then it rained. 

The baby started to cry. Seunghyun panicked. 

"Sorry baby, Appa dont know how to..." he cried suddenly. "Angel... why did you leave" he murmurred the words. 

"He's hungry" a woman took the baby from his hands. "Come with me, i'll help" the woman replied, she sounded like she was gonna cry.  

Seunghyun was speechless but he followed the woman to the hospital's feeding spot. 

"'What are you doing?" he stopped the woman.

"He's hungry. I'll feed him" she said. "If you can feed him yourself then it's okay" she handed the baby back to Seunghyun.

The baby's cried louder.

"Help me..." he begged. 

The woman entered the place, leaving her bag with Seunghyun. After a while, she came out. The baby was sleeping soundly. 

"Here you go. He'll sleep for a while. But you have to feed him again after a few hours" she said and bowed. She took her bag and walked out of the hospital.

Seunghyun was speechless and grateful at the same time. 

"Miss... wait. Thank you for the help. Let me give you a ride home" he insisted.

The woman didnt say much, she just nod and followed Seunghyun. 

 

Inside the car, Seunghyun held his baby but sometimes steals glances at the woman. Her eyes were always wet, her puffy eyes and sad look. It looks like she just lost someone. Seunghyun cant help but ask.

"Miss, are you okay?" he broke the silence. 

"I'm okay" she replied, short.

"Uh.. okay. I'm Choi Seunghyun, by the way. I really appreciate what you did back then" he said. 

"It's okay. The milk will go to waste anyway. Better let that little guy drinks it" she smiles faintly. 

Seunghyun's eyes widened. "I'm sorry for your lost" he commented. "This little guy too, just lost his mom" he said in one breath. He was hurting. 

The woman turn to look at him. "I'm sorry to hear that. Atleast he still got you, so there's nothing to worry" she said.

Seunghyun wiped his tear before it run down his face. 

"Miss, if you dont mind me asking, where's your husband?" he asked her. 

The car went silent for a while. The driver too was waiting for her answer. 

"There's no husband. My child had no father" she replied. Tears started falling down. The sad aura filled the whole car. The baby woke up and started crying. Seunghyun eyes  teared up a little. 

"Hey, it's okay little guy. You will be okay. You have your father still" the woman wiped her tears, shushing the child. 

"May i hold him before i go?" she asked for permission from Seunghyun. 

He cant help but nodded. 

She smiled in her tears and took the baby. She caressed the cheeks and gave him a long kiss on his forehead. "It's going to be okay. Be happy child, i will pray for your happiness" she whispered. The baby somehow stopped crying. 

Seunghyun was amazed. "Maybe the love of mother is all the same" he said. 

"Seunghyun-shi, what is his name?" she asked.

"I havent think of it, yet" he replied. "Maybe I would name him Jiwon, Choi Jiwon" he added.

She smiled and look back at the baby. "Grow up healthy, Jiwon. Ahjumma will miss you" she kissed him again and wiped her tears. 

"Here you go. Take a good care of him, Seunghyun-shi. Do you mind stopping at the next stop? My house is just around the corner" she said and gave Seunghyun her sweetest smile. 

The smile reminds him of her. reminds him of Angel.

"Miss, what is your name?" Seunghyun finally asked.

"It's Lee Bora" she anwsered and bowed.

When the car stopped, she bids her goodbye and get off.

"Jooyong..." Seunghyun called out.

"Yes Sir. She's very much like madam. her smile, i mean" Jooyong replied, understanding his boss very well.

Seunghyun stared at her disappearing figure. 

"Jiwon, what is all this?" he asked his baby.

The baby smiled. 

.........................................to be continued............................................