007 - Interlude

Hall of Faces
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The acolytes and priests of the Temple worked through the night to clear away the rubble from the attack, and with nothing better to do, Sungjoo decided to help them. He still wasn't sure what to do or where to go, but by the time the sun began to rise over Atherpefta, he knew what he needed to do first.

Despite the efforts of the workers, the main hall was still a wreck by the time the first petitioners began to gather. Yixuan stood with a frown on his face as he surveyed the dusty, blood stained hall; with most of the rubble from broken artwork cleared, it was now just a matter of deep cleaning. "I am afraid I will have to turn people away," he lamented, his voice soft. Sungjoo could feel the pain in his voice at those words, and though he felt an echo inside of him, he had the feeling that those emotions were Siakera's and not his own.

When Yixuan headed for the door to the temple to go speak with the people gathered, Sungjoo followed, deciding that it was best to take his leave before he wore out his welcome. Not that he was getting any of those feelings from the people of the White Temple, but despite all that had happened, he couldn't yet feel comfortable there. He had a lot to come to terms with, not only of his own soul and actions in his life, but also in regards to settling the score with Kergisa.

He paused to wait in the hallway when Yixuan stepped out onto the steps in front of the temple, his arms outspread to motion for silence. The crowd obeyed almost immediately, their faces turned expectantly toward their High Priest. "Worshipers of the mother goddess, welcome. We had a... disturbance... last night, and I am afraid that-"

"We are here to help," a man called out, stepping out of the crowd to a murmur of agreement from his fellows. Sungjoo recognized him as the young man that Yixuan had healed the night that he had tried to assassinate the man, his blisters and sores now fully gone from his body. He motioned around him and turned to the High Priest with a smile on his face. "Many of us heard the fight last night but the temple was sealed, we could not come to your aid. If you will let us, we would help you to clean and fix this holy place."

Yixuan's oval face showed

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter