012

Hall of Faces
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The Hall of Faces was dark as Wenhan made his way into the towering temple. The acolyte he had stolen from the White Temple was silent as they moved deeper in, almost as if he could sense the dark goddess's presence, but Wenhan barely spared a thought for him beyond checking to make sure that his binding still held. He had tied the boy's wrists tightly with strips of cloth from his bed, then tugged him along with another strip as a leash. So far Yibo had yet to complain, but Wenhan knew that the silence from the stubborn boy wouldn't last long.

He was used to the sensation of being watched when he was under the gaze of the stone masks, but tonight he felt ill at ease. It took him a long moment to realize that it was because there was no sensation. He paused mid-step at that thought, his breath catching in his throat as he listened closely. There was no magic in the Hall, no breath of life from the whispers of the ghosts that seemed to permeate the air. No footsteps of the servers sounded from within the gloom, no Hands hurrying toward their next assignment, and for the first time, he thought that maybe Sungjoo was right. Maybe Kergisa had set him up to die and left him to fend for himself. But would she do that to him?

"What is it?"

Yibo's voice shattered the stillness and nearly made Wenhan jump; in his tension, he had as well as forgotten that the silly boy was there. He took a deep breath, reminded himself that no matter what happened he was still the most dangerous man in Atherpefta, and stepped forward, tugging on the boy's leash to pull him along. "Nothing," he said, even though he knew that he didn't have to answer. He wasn't really the type to be able to stay silent when spoken to, definitely a flaw in his character.

Not that he would admit that he had flaws out loud. The key to making everyone think that he was confident was acting like it even when he wasn't, even when he was feeling shaken and unsure as he was right then. And so they moved deeper into the darkness, Wenhan's gait smooth and relaxed but his mind in overdrive, spinning with questions and concerns over his goddess.

They entered the main hall, Wenhan's eyes adjusting easily to the darkness after all the years working in the cover of night, and he stopped in his tracks at the sight that greeted them. "Oh Light, what is that smell?" Yibo gasped, coughing as the scent of rotting bodies reached them. Wenhan's face twisted as he tried his best to ignore the putrid odor, and reached out to tie Yibo's tether to one of the pillars there. He knew that the boy would be able to untie himself if he put his mind to it, and so as he finished, he looked up to catch the boy's eyes.

"Try to run, and I'll go back and kill everyone in your temple. Understood?"

To his credit, the boy's face remained calm, but fear was alight in his eyes and Wenhan knew he had him under his spell. He nodded slightly to himself before turning back to determine if the scent came from what he suspected he would find. His booted feet made no sound as he crossed the stone floor, nearing where the dark crystal should be, but as he drew nearer the scent grew stronger to the point of gagging him.

Then his fears were confirmed. The line of bodies was deteriorating, but it was obvious what they had done; offered their lives at the Dark Lady's calling. That could only mean that she had abandoned this temple, leaving it dark and cold and without her touch or presence, and, simultaneously, leaving Wenhan behind.

"Why?" he found himself whispering as he passed the line of bodies and drew nearer to the dais where the crystal should have been. It was gone, of course, but he had known it would be as soon as he has seen the bodies. But why would Kergisa leave him behind? He was a loyal servant and Hand for her objectives, why would she just throw him away? Because of his failure with Sungjoo? He had to fight not to show weakness, unsure of how well the boy could see in the darkened Hall

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter