Chapter 7: Love And Hate (The Same As You)

The Silence Of The Sirens

Hiii.. here's the next chappie and Dongwook meeting Jiyong! Really excited for these two to face eachother! ^^

 

 

 

Despite the neck gills and greenish tint, the boy was gorgeous in that so-pretty-I’d-break-you kind of way.”
Alexandra Martin, Siren's Call

 

 

 

 

 

Jiyong watched the scene unravel from behind a huge rock, he deemed safe enough to hide behind.

He watched as the angry mob circled in on the unsuspecting man, mercilessly pushing him towards meeting his cruel fate.

 

He couldn't believe what was happening and helplessly watched the man slipping into the upset ocean, from the sidelines.

 

The siren was frozen in shock, as he watched the best friend of the man he loved, struggling for air and battling the roaring waves.

 

A fight, the human clearly couldn't win.

 

There was no other possible outcome for this.

 

Dongwooks head made it, two or three more times, before he was pulled down under with a strong jerk, by invisible hands.

Jiyong followed suit and desperately tried to figure something out.

 

What was he supposed to do?

 

“No... No...” He whispered, as he watched his kind, crowding around the man like a group of starving wolves.

 

No.

 

No!

 

Jiyong had to do something!

 

Anything!

 

Anything at all!

 

He caught a glimpse of the shadows looming over their heads, devilish and sinister and suddenly knew what to do.

 

What he had to do.

 

There was only one possibility. Only one way to save his lovers brother.

 

Jiyong closed his eyes in pain, his heart grieving for the last instance of humanity he had left in his rotten heart.

 

The one thing, he was holding on to.

 

The one thing, he was about to lose.

 

He struggled with himself for a few moments, mere seconds... they felt like hours.

 

I love Seunghyun.

 

A lone, stray tear rolled down his cheeks.

 

If I let Dongwook drown, we might be able to talk to the villagers. We might be able to get them to trust Seunghyun again. We might succeed, talking a little sense into those thick skulls of theirs. I could prove myself to Seunghyun. I could prove that he changed me for the better. To someone who is not a monster anymore.

 

Jiyong shook his head.

 

But that won't matter. He thought, bitter tears making their way down his cheeks.

His best friend is the only person he cares about. He'd hate me forever if I watched him drown.

 

He'd hate me forever.

 

He didn't want to go back to the habits he had just escaped from. He didn't want to turn into that monster again.

 

But he had no choice.

 

There was no other way for him to fix this.

 

He had to do this.

 

Casting one last glance at the struggling human, he swam back to the landing again, closely scanning the crowd.

 

There was that heavy decorated son of a , his boyfriend was talking about. Herbert Alderton or something.

 

Jiyong frowned, searching for another set of people he could bear to drown.

 

He saw the smug look on the faces of two women. He had seen them, before this whole tragic play started to play out right before his very own eyes. They watched Dongwook drown, with joy showing on their ugly faces and Jiyong couldn't help but snort in abhorrence.

 

He remembered them kicking a stray dog, at the beach last summer, there was no mistaking these ugly women.

 

Serves them right.

 

He smirked.

 

That was enough for the guilt in Jiyong to quieten down and burn out.

 

The arrogant man was an easy target, standing way too close towards the edge. The siren only had to grab his ankle and pull him in.

 

The surprised man didn't even stand the slightest chance, his face contorting into one of confusion for a moment, before realization dawned on him after catching a glimpse of Jiyong's flashing, razor sharp teeth.

 

Jiyong moved back, out of sight, swam a circle, for good measure and started speeding up.

 

With a determined look on his face, he lunched his body forwards, right into the, still, shell shocked crowd and grabbed onto the skirts of the two women, easily yanking them down with him, too.

 

The crowd watched in horror as their fellow villagers were railed in, like ratty, old rag dolls.

 

No one dared to try and help the sirens victims, too scared to become an easy target, to the devils very own spouse.

 

Jiyong, pressured to get them down under as soon as possible, grabbed for their ankles, blindly and pulled them further down with him, their heads disappearing under the surface of the ocean.

 

He pulled them with him some more, nearing the crowd of sirens, who were singing their song to Dongwook.

 

He let go off the people and swam over to where his kind was.

 

“There are more people!” He screeched.

“We need every hand of yours we can get! Look! I've railed in, three, already! There are more waiting, struggling at the surface! Hurry before they manage to get on land again!” He moved his arms frantically, trying to urge his sisters and brothers on.

 

Jiyong saw them hesitating for a moment, but it was short lived and soon after, the first few sirens were making their way towards the direction Jiyong pointed at, clearly more enamored with the possibility of getting three bodies at once, than just one lonely, poor soul.

 

Seconds later and Dongwook was forgotten by them all.

 

Except for Jiyong.

 

The anxious Siren pulled the unconscious man with him, hurrying to get out of there.

 

His face took on a dangerous shade of blue already, but Jiyong couldn't risk getting caught by either, human or siren. He decided against pausing above the surface and swam on towards his destination, a hidden grotto he explored a while ago.

 

His eyes raked the ground and searched for the hidden slot to his secret hide out.

 

There it was.

 

Jiyong sighed in relief, speeding up to get the man on save ground as fast as possible. Every second counted.

 

He made his way through, his wet head emerging and meeting the cold, still air. The siren perched the unconscious man up, near the wall and heaved first himself and then the handsome lad onto solid ground.

 

Jiyong laid Dongwook's head down, carefully and started to work on his chest, trying to get the water out of his system.

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

Dongwook woke with a startle, heaving lungfuls of water out.

 

His panicked eyes observed the place he found himself in, in a frenzy.

 

The minutes ticked by and nothing happened.

 

Where the heck went those devilish sea witches?

 

Dongwook furrowed his brows, not quite understanding the change of situation he found himself in, just yet.

 

The situation was not save and transparent enough for him to relax already. The bartender figured it was too early to let go of his wariness.

 

There was a splash to his left suddenly, alerting Dongwook to someones, or rather somethings, presence.

 

He watched, wide eyed, as a blond mob of hair, almost white-silver looking, made his way through the surface of the adjoining pit of water.

 

Deep, almost blackish, eyes met his.

 

And Dongwook stared.

 

And stared.

 

And stared.

 

“I managed to get your bag...” The boy, not looking older than eighteen, or twenty at most, held his soaked bag in his frail hands, lightly blushing because he felt the atmosphere was way too awkward.

 

Dongwook watched as bony, delicate fingers weaved through the most silkiest looking strands of hair he had ever seen.

 

The boy looked young, his eyes wide and warm with innocence. He had a lithe frame, frail shoulders and protruding collarbones, all around he looked way more fragile than a boy, his age, probably was. He had a cute button nose, a shy little smile, shoulder length platinum blond hair and...

 

Gosh

 

Those eyes.

 

Dongwook couldn't help himself to give them another, well deserved. spot in his rant of adoration.

 

He looked beautiful...

 

...but...

...Dongwook felt an underlying threat radiating off his beauty. He saw danger hidden behind deep, warm eyes, heard terror in his soft voice and smelled the sweet fragrance of death, gracing the air around them.

He looked beautiful.

Yes.

Too beautiful.

There was something not quite right about him.

Eerie.

Dangerous.

Sinful.

Unreal.

There was something missing,

Something...

Something...

… “How did you save me? I was sure I was going to die...” He mumbled, not being able to comprehend how a scrawny little kid could've saved his sorry .

 

The boy, who Dongwook only managed to realize now, didn't wear a shirt, his heaving, pale, sparkling chest and bare for anyone to see.

 

Wait.

 

Sparkling?!

 

Dongwook almost felt as if he saw something he wasn't supposed to see.

 

The boy pushed himself out of the water and scrambled nearer towards the wall, slowly pulling himself out and revealing more and more, of what should have been skin.

 

Should have been.

 

But wasn't.

 

Scales!

 

Dongwook watched with wide eyes, as a white, shimmering fin appeared.

 

It reminded him on the first frost of the year.

 

“But you.. what... how is that possible..?” He looked at Jiyong, not believing his eyes.

“You are not ugly.” He finished dumbly.

 

“Thanks... I guess.” The siren answered.

 

“Really. You don't look anywhere near them...” Dongwook struggled to find the right words and huffed out the only coherent thought he was still able to grasp.

 

“That's because I am not angry and don't want to eat you.” Jiyong smiled, baring his sharp teeth for a second.

 

“You don't want... to... eat me...” He said, dumbstruck.

“That's... good..? I guess..??”

 

“Yeah.” Jiyong smiled, reaching out a hand for Dongwook to take. “I am Jiyong by the way.”

 

“Dongwook.” he replied, before realization dawned.

“Wait. You are that siren Seunghyun's speaking about, all the time.” His eyes widened.

 

“Yes. That'd be me, right here, at your service.” Jiyong let go off the mans hands and smiled unsure at him.

“You are not going to try anything funny, are you?”

 

“What? No! You saved me! I don't know why, but you did.”

 

“I can't let my love's brother drown. Believe it or not, but I'm not as heartless as your people make me out to be. Even sirens have a sense of family.”

 

“So... you wouldn't have saved me, if it wasn't for Seunghyun?” Dongwook shuddered at the thought.

 

“Probably not.” The boy shrugged, as if they had been talking about the weather.

 

“Right.” Dongwook nodded, horrified by the thought of how things could've played out for him. “How did you manage to get me out of there though? There were like thirty of those.. those... things.” He frowned.

 

“I am one of those things, if it escaped your notice.” Jiyong scrunched his nose in distaste, clearly upset by the bartenders choice of words.

 

An uncomfortable silence filled the space for a moment.

 

“Yeah. Right. Sorry.” Dongwook, awkwardly apologized, afraid the siren would change his mind and just have him for his next meal, anyways.

 

“I better get going. I've got to inform Seunghyun.” Jiyong turned to leave, slowly easing himself back into the cool, welcoming water.

 

“Why? Can't you just bring me back home?” Dongwook gripped his wrist, scared of getting left behind.

 

“No. We better speak to Seunghyun first, getting an impression of what state the town is in, currently. They'd probably think you're under a spell, anyways. And I have to tell Seunghyun that his best friend's not dead. He probably thinks I killed you too, like the rest of them.”

 

“What do you mean “killed me too like the rest of them” ? Why would they think that, when you bring me back, alive and well? I don't understand...” Dongwook was at a loss of words.

 

“Because they accused you of being something akin to a witch. Seeing you alive would only spur them on, right now. Regarding the other matter...” Jiyong sighed, “I had to pull some of them in, in order to save you. The town's people watched me, doing just that. “He smiled a forced smile and disappeared into the depths.

 

The shivering Dongwook was left to fend for his own.

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

Seunghyun's eyes were wide open now, reality forcing him to face the harsh, cold truth. His grandma had been right all along. That snobby bastard had been right. The town had been right.

 

Hell.

 

Dongwook had been right.

 

The tears started flowing on their own accord. Was it the cold air? Was it the fact that he lost the two people he cared most about? He couldn't do anything about it and he really didn't want to.

 

He had enough of faking his personality, for people who didn't even care about him.

 

No.

 

That was not exactly right.

 

Seunghyun was tired of faking who he was, for people he didn't even care about.

There was no one left worth, faking for.

 

He didn't only lose his brother.

 

He lost his lover, too.

 

Which was the greater tragedy?

 

His brother being eaten alive, by his seemingly ruthless lover? The death of the person who stood by his side, for all his life?

 

Or the betrayal, knowing that the love of his life, was responsible for the former's death?

 

He should've listened to the warnings, should've listened to his grandma. She was far more older than him and way wiser.

 

She knew about life's secrets and death's truths.

 

She knew passionate stories of love and just as passionate stories about hate,

and that the passion behind these two, very, different emotions, wasn't really that different at all.

 

Love and Hate are the same as You.

 

Love was a weird thing and losing yourself in it, was very easy.

 

Hate was a weird thing too, and getting consumed by it, was just as easy.

 

They changed you.

For better or for worse,

 but they did.

 

What was the difference between losing yourself and getting consumed? Didn't lead one thing, ultimately, to the other, in the end?

 

Walking the world, blinded by hate, tended to not end very good, more than often, in destructive chaos.

Soaring the skies, blinded by love, was a foolish thing to do, too, often ending in utter heartbreak and pain so unbearable and unfathomable that being eaten alive would've been the easy way out.

Seunghyun knew that now.

 

Love and Hate.

 

It was a thin line separating these two.

 

Almost not there, almost not tangible at all.

 

Blurred lines.

 

It's actually very easy to confuse one, with the other.

 

And it was just as easy to turn adoration and love, into loathing and hate.

 

Seunghyun chuckled darkly.

Bitter.

 

He used to hate them, the condemning horror stories about sirens. Ugly, unforgiving, selfish, gory. How he had hated those.

He liked the tales about kind and good natured sirens, way better. They were the minority, that's why it was always important to Seunghyun, to memorize them all by heart.

 

But he had been wrong.

 

He used to think they were only mere prejudices about the unknown.

 

But in every prejudice, there was truth too, wasn't there?

 

How was he so stupid, to not realize that?

 

How was he so blinded?

 

So foolish?

 

He had been warned, many times.

 

He had been careless.

 

Wrong.

 

A beautiful face,

a soft, longing voice,

A death bringing song,

a sailors foolish choice.

 

Dark eyes are the gate,

to a pitch black within,

guarding the nothingness,

caching the evil, fury, sin.

 

They'll blind you,

with a smile,

rows of pearly white and

razor sharp teeth,

 

They'll pull you in,

voices like silk,

veiling the darkness,

hiding beneath

 

They'll play you,

like chess figures

With bony, guiding hands

 

They'll fool your heart,

leading the way to

faraway lands.

 

That's the plot twist,

It was too good to be true

and you, my dear friend,

you, all along, knew.

 

Once they are finished,

with singing their song,

there's no going back

or righting the wrong

 

Once they are knowing,

the name, fitting the face

They'll own you up

forever their slave.

 

They'll lure you,

right down,

to their caverns,

to drown.

 

Leaving your eyes

The last sparks of light

life following suit,

into the dark night.

 

beauty and grace,

turning horrid and sour

grotesque and ugly,

and gory, for sure.

 

The last thing you'll see

are mouths,

open wide,

hands clawing your heart,

to make them your bride.

 

Right.

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

“Seunghyun! Seunghyun!” The blond merman looked warily around the port, making sure to make as little noise as possible.

 

“Seunghyun!” He pressed, one last time.

 

Seunghyun's eyes were red and looked swollen and his face contorted to one of anger as soon as he spotted Jiyong.

 

“You-” He growled.

 

“Stop I-”

 

“Stop? Stop, you are telling me? Probably how Dongwook begged you stop?” Seunghyun spat, furious.

 

“The others told me what happened. I can't believe you did that to me... I don't care about the other three, but my brother? I cant live with that kind of betrayal! You knew how much he means to me!” Bitter tears were rolling down his cheeks by now.

 

“No... Seunghyun... Dongwook lives...” Jiyong looked up, hopeful eyes meeting Seunghyun's, causing the latter to halt in his raging rant for a moment.

 

“He lives?"  The man stuttered out, unbelieving. "But they saw you pulling all four of them down...” Seunghyun trailed off towards the end.

 

“No... I pulled the other three down, that much is true. But it was your people who pushed Dongwook into the water. That's why I had to pull the other three in, to distract the other sirens from Dongwook...” Jiyong looked up, swallowing harshly.

 

“Look... you don't have to believe me but meet me at the last landing tonight and I shall bring you to where Dongwook is. I vow to bring you there, alive and well, just like Dongwook is.” He pushed on, desperately.

 

Seunghyun was unsure how to react.

 

Was Jiyong being honest?

 

Were his intentions good natured?

 

Or did he plan to trick Seunghyun into his own death?

 

Seunghyun sighed.

 

It doesn't matter.

 

A future without neither, my best friend and my lover, isn't one I'm looking forward to, anyways.

 

The handsome man's repellent stance faltered, his shoulders slumping down in defeat.

 

“I'm going to have to trust your word. Bring me there.”

 

“Good, that's all I'm askin for. I'm going to come for you after the sun set a-”

 

“No.” Seunghyun said, a determined look on his face. “You' shall bring me there now.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

**