Chapter 6: What It Takes, For A Beating Heart To Drown

The Silence Of The Sirens

I felt like pouring a bit of Dongwook into this story, I hope you guys like it (anyways) I don't know if it was a good idea to do this but oh whelp, too late :D

 

 

 

 

 

“There, amongst the angry water was the glow of green eyes, hundreds of them encompassed the entire area...We were completely and totally surrounded. They all hung just below the water waiting for a sign to attack. There was no hope. We would all perish...”
― Meredith T. Taylor

 

 

 

 

 

Dongwook’s day went by, fairly normal. He served his customers, followed his bartender duties and joked with his regulars.

His head was with his work, his heart however was with his best friend.

A best friend he wasn’t sure he recognized anymore.

The handsome bartender smiled bitterly.

He had lost his only brother to a god forsaken Siren.

 

His luck.

 

He chuckled darkly.

 

The handsome bartender felt like Seunghyun wasn’t the only one who was robbed off something. Seunghyun was sentenced to death. Dongwook, on the other hand, was sentenced to watch the most important person in his life dying, from the sidelines, Dongwook was cursed to lead a life without meaning and happiness.

It was one thing of being doomed to a cruel, cold death. It was another to watch someone dear to you, meeting that exact fate.

Dongwook could take it, if it was him who was about to die. Hell, he could stomach seeing his parents die! But Seunghyun? The only person to keep him sane?

 

No.

 

That,

 

He couldn’t bear.

 

He dried the last set of glasses and sat them down onto the counter with a harsh thud, echoing through the almost empty room.

Grimly looking around, he packed up and left for the night.

He had important business to tend to.

 

 

 


 

 

 

The sky wasn’t as dark, clouded and broody as it was supposed to be.

The thunderstorm was long overdue already and Seunghyun had a bad feeling in the pit of his stomach, that it’d be the toughest one he'd face in his life.The feeling was strong, almost nauseating.

Pushing the dark thoughts away, he took a closer look at his companion.

Jiyong’s eyes sparkled like the stars above their heads, the pale moonlight illuminated his silvery, silky hair and casted eerie shadows over his soft skin.

Curious eyes watched the tiny port in the far, barely visible for human eyes.

“That is where you work?” The siren asked, his nose scrunched up, in the most adorable way possible.

“Yes. Why? What do you not like about ports?” Seunghyun asked, his eyebrows, questioningly, disappearing under his wavy, dark fringe.

“It’s not the port. It’s just that “work”,” He accentuated the word with distaste, “keeps you away from spending time with me.” The siren pouted cutely.

“But I come here every single night tho. And don’t you sirens have stuff to do, too?” Seunghyun asked curiously.

“No… I mean… sirens usually do sing mariners to shipwreck and lure them into the water, to drown, but other than that…” Jiyong replied, deep in thoughts.

“Sooo… It is indeed true… you really do that kind of stuff…” Seunghyun reacted with a calmness, Dongwook would call creepy. A calmness the other villagers would probably call unholy, even.

They’d probably faint straight away, or at least run away in fright and disgust.

Seunghyun, however, wasn’t shocked at all.

“You are allowed to voice it out you know?” Jiyong said, lowly, his eyes downcast.

“What?” The tall man really didn’t know what the siren was talking about.

“That I am the devil… a monster… or whatever else you human folks have in mind about creatures like me… You don’t have to pretend you’re not disgusted…” He swallowed harshly, trying to blink the tears away.

“But I am not.” The raven haired man replied, his hands slowly reaching for the ones of the siren, softly intertwining them.

“You are… not?” Jiyong, finally, met his dark piercing gaze, a smile, slowly, taking over his soft features.

“Not in the least…” Seunghyun smiled.

“I’m curious tho… about how your kind lives…” He inquired.

The siren traced his lovers chiseled features, searching.

For what,

He didn’t know.

All he found was love and adoration though.

“You know… I’ve lived for a long time…” He started.

“We aren’t like that, right from the beginning. We long for love, we long to be cared for and we long to be treasured. We are supposed to lure them down and kill them. We are supposed to cause havoc and chaos. But like any other creatures, roaming the skies, lands and seas, there’s good within us too. We are not as evil as your people make us out to be… We are revengeful, spiteful and violent. But there’s a tiny spark of good, in us too. A tiny spark. But it is there.” The merman smiled regretfully, the youthful, ethereal look, gone for a moment, baring his true self for the glimpse of an eye. He looked tired. Old, even.

The centuries wearing him down.

“It’s been said that all of us were human, once. Legend has it that those who die of a broken heart, are sentenced to strive for revenge in their afterlife. For eternity. We are doomed to relive it all over again, the ghost of a heart we once had, haunting us in our dreams. We are prisoners of our own body, mind and soul and we can’t escape, we can’t be freed, until we get our heart back. We sing them to shipwreck, we pull them under, we feast on them and their beating hearts. They are following us willingly into the depths of the sea, we have them wrapped around our fingers. But it is not real Seunghyun, it is not real…” The pain, showing on the beautiful sirens face, was very much real and Seunghyun’s heart ached as he watched the first tears making their way down the porcelain like skin.

Siren's could not feel pain.

Siren's could not cry.

It is not real.

“It is not real… because…” Jiyong took a deep breath. “They don’t really love us. Their hearts are not ours to take. They are just under our spell.” He shook his head sadly.

“It’s funny, I never realized that the ocean is not my home at all. It is more like a penitentiary. We are committing our crimes, for centuries. The water is keeping us alive and yet it drowns us just as well. We can’t leave this world until we find the heart which truly belongs to us. I’ve searched for almost 800 centuries and this is the first time that I am sure that this one, “He Seunghyuns heaving chest, “is mine.” Jiyong smiled sadly.

“It is yours. It was always yours Jiyong, why don’t you take what is yours…” Seunghyun the shaking boy’s cheeks.

He wasn’t afraid to die.

He was ready for everything, Jiyong wanted him to be ready for.

“Because…” The frail man closed his eyes for a moment.

 

        “I’d rather drown every day, for the rest of my eternity…

                                                                          …Than having to watch my very own heart drown, even just once.”

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

Dongwook observed Seunghyun leaving, before he hurried towards the shore.

He felt highly uneasy, being out after dawn, on his own. Seunghyun and the crazy Mr. Zhen were the only people around town, who were brave enough to do so.

But he had to do this.

For Seunghyun.

And that was all the motivation it needed for Dongwook to keep going, the face of his friend deeply engraved into his heart, lighting the way through the dark like the torchlight he forgot to bring along.

Climbing the rocky landing he observed the breaking waves beneath him. The pale moonlight barely enough for him to see where he was going.

Taking a deep breath, he called out.

“Ji-Ji-Yong?” His breath came out in ragged puffs, the cold air around him rising up, fogged clouds wrapping themselves around his head.

He heard the surface of the water, somewhere left to him, breaking and frantically looked around, searching.

“Jiyong?” He called out again, more steady this time.

Dongwook furrowed his brows and turned around, his backside facing the roaring ocean.

There were torchlights coming his way, the sounds of an upset mob getting clearer and clearer by second.

It wasn’t long before the first people were arriving, Robert Arlington up front.

Dongwook shielded his eyes, momentarily blinded by the lights.

“Dongwook?” Hyunhwan called out, surprised, he was clearly not suspecting the bartender to be the one they’d find by the cliffs.

“What the hell are you doing here? All by yourself?” Siwan asked, seemingly confused.

“HE’S ONE OF THEM! HE’S LIKE SEUNG!” Hannah Mikaton shouted, from the dead end of the crowd.

There was an uproar going through the mob, the torchlights moving up and down in angry waves.

Dongwook held his hands up, in surrender.

“No! I-I…” His mind went blank. Why was he there again?

“I just… I just… Jiyong… wanted…” He stuttered.

“THE SIREN WANTED YOU TO DO WHAT EXACTLY?” Siwan shouted, fear taking over his features.

“No! No, No, No! You got it all wrong, you-“

“He IS one of them! We must get rid of them!” Mikaela Lee was the one to shout this time. They were circling in on Dongwook and he really didn’t know what to do.

They were shouting and screaming and closing in and Dongwook asked himself for a moment if that was how Seunghyun must’ve felt, that time at the bar, when Dongwook was part of the crowd cornering him.

The sky over their heads darkened, the first lightning appeared on the dark, brooding canvas, accompanied by the deep, angry rumbling, tearing through the silent, still night air like a sirens sharp teeth through human flesh.

It came over them with a force, only gods knew how to withstand.

 

Gods,

 

And Sirens.

 

The mob came to a halt, their outstretched, angry arms, coming to a still, midair. Dongwook held his breath, eyes wide open in fear, horror showing on his handsome face.

It took the angry crowd exactly 3 seconds and 2 lungful’s of the air Dongwook was breathing in, before the frightened bartender was pushed off the rock and down into the roaring water.

The villagers, frozen by shock, stared at the struggling and heaving man, desperately wanting to escape the raging waves.

The night was eerily silent as they watched him, gasping for air, grabbing for something to hold on to, for something to save him.

 

Blindly, searching, for something that wasn’t even there, to begin with.

 

They held their breaths, every single one of them, even Robert Arlington, feeling it was inappropriate to breathe in the company of someone who was about to drown.

Their wet clothes hung loosely off their bodies, the silent lightning almost grotesquely underlining their stoic and ugly, hateful features.

Dongwook’s head appeared from down under the surface one last time, before he disappeared completely under the, seemingly glassy, surface.

There was nothing the human eye could spot anymore, except for the slowly dying out torchlights, above the landing, disappearing one by one, until there was nothing left, besides the deafening darkness.

 

 

 


 

 

 

Dongwook struggled against the tight grip around his ankles. He wasn’t strong enough. He couldn’t make it. He wouldn’t survive this whole ordeal.

He teared his eyes wide open, too afraid to close them for even so much as a second.

 

“Searching for a heart

To love us dear.

Searching for a heart

To shred and tear.

 

Blue water,

Painted red

Flesh ripped open

Bloody, wet.

 

Who’s the prisoner?

And who’s the priest?

Heads down under,

More south than east.

 

I’m your worst nightmare,

I bid you welcome,

To dine with us,

As course number one.

 

Invite you tonight

I grant you a feast

You might be the saint

That serves for the beast.

 

I bid you welcome,

I bid you goodbye,

 

Farewell is,

Young lad,

A mere,

Strangled cry.”

 

 

Their leering faces were glowing eerily, illuminated by only the reflecting moonlight from above the surface. There was an evil glint in their vicious, cunning eyes and Dongwook couldn’t help but wonder, what Seunghyun saw in them. In one of those devilish pairs of black, empty orbs.

Dongwook was scared, the moment he saw his fellow villagers closing in on him, but that was nothing compared to what he felt now.

Scared was not strong enough to describe what he was feeling, cornered by faces as cold and hungry as hyenas. Distorted, hateful grimaces, maliciously grinning down at him, their pearly white and razor sharp teeth flashing through the darkness of the ocean.

Scared was barely fitting.

 

Horrified.

 

That was what he was.

 

 

Dongwook closed his eyes in surrender.

 

 

 

There was no way he was getting out of this.

 

 

 

 

 

 

*

hope you liked it :) see you next updateeee :D