Chapter 1: A Siren's Song

The Silence Of The Sirens

Note: I wrote the Siren Song myself and I hope it isn't too bad, + I'm not really familiar with writing supernatural themed fics, so please don't be too harsh on me >_<

 

"The night seemed suddenly defiled by the absence of music, as if the silence itself was injecting a sickness that only another song could cure.” - Jake Van Der Ark "The Accidental Siren"

 

 

 

 

Sirens.

Seunghyun had heard plenty of them, the beautiful death bringers.

Ever since he was little, he was told not to get too close to the water. His mother would warn him to leave the shore, before dawn and never get there before dust. His grandmother told him of slender fingers wrapping around the ankles of clueless young men, about cold, icy lips, draining you of all your warmth, robbing you of the much needed air.

Growing up, he heard dozens of those stories. Melodious, eerie voices singing songs of utter heartbreak and grieve, of anger and pain. Hauntingly beautiful. None of the fishermen ever knew where the voices where coming from, they seemed to be calling directly from down under, calling their names in sadness and loneliness, asking unsuspecting mariners to come and join, to share their warmth with lonely hearts.

“Don’t ever listen to them sing, no matter how much the voice draws you in or how much the melody enraptures you. Cover your ears, if needed, but don’t ever listen. Once you do, there’s no turning back, they might sing for a while longer and let you have a piece of heaven, but once they end the song and start calling your name, it’s over for good and they’ll pull you under.”

“And don’t ever look into those eyes! They are as deep and hypnotizing as the deep sea, once you lose yourself in them, all hope is gone. You might manage to get away, physically unharmed, but your soul, your soul is gone, the exact moment you get entranced by those eyes. Your body might leave, but your soul is what they pull along with them and never will you get it back, never will it break through the surface, never will it see the broad daylight, ever again, forever a prisoner to eternal darkness.”

 Ever since he was little, he was always told to stay away from the rocky cliffs and the drowning, dwindling depths, because “that is where they like to grieve, with hearts as heavy as the sea.”

And ever since he was little, he would ignore them, he would ignore them all, the sad love stories, the gory horror tales and good willed warnings. He’d pay no attention to all the talks and rumors and sit on his favorite rock and stare into the dark, cold water, so deep you couldn’t see anything but the pitch-black color, drawing you in. It was enchanting. It was addicting.

He wondered if the eyes of a siren really were just as black as it. If they were just as cold and unforgiving. If they were as upset and forceful as the waves, breaking on solid granite, so beautiful, but deadly nontheless.

The ocean was beautiful. Seunghyun spent every night, there on his favorite rock and stared ahead, a heavy longing in his heart, he couldn’t quite understand.

 

 

 

There was one person living in that little town, Seunghyun liked more than anyone else. It was Mr. Zhen.

He was not quite as fond of the almost grotesque image people, here, seemed to have of the beautiful water nymphs. He told different stories. Stories of heartbreak, a love doomed to failure, but a sincere, selfless one, nonetheless.

And that was exactly why people declared him crazy.

They just couldn’t envision those creatures to be capable of a heavenly thing, like love.

Seunghyun listened to all his stories, with wide eyes and a wild beating heart. Out of all the stories, he liked those, the best. Mr. Zhen’s stories of graceful bodies, roaming the seven seas, of midnight laughter filling the air, a love so innocent and pure, yet a yearning so forlorn and desperate, it ripped your heart to shreds.

He loved those, since he had been a little boy.

Sure, the stories picturing mermaids as cold, sinister and unforgiving creatures, were interesting and highly entertaining, but Seunghyun despised them. A lot.

He just couldn’t seem to imagine them to be true.

Sirens loved the sea. They loved the waves, messing with their hair, they loved the feel of water running down their faces and they loved being embraced by the pale moonlight, reflecting beautifully on the surface.

And that was probably the reason Seunghyun was so fascinated with them.

As long as Seunghyun could think back, he had always been fascinated by the ocean. It looked empty, an endless blanket of dark, deep blue, yet there was so much life hiding beneath the surface. It hid so many secrets, no one could ever be sure of how much they really knew.

How easy would it be to let yourself being embraced by raging waves, to let yourself get dragged down, a soft tugging at your legs. Almost comforting, as if to say “It’s alright son, I take you to some place better.”

He had always been fascinated by water. Drowning would be such a gentle way to die. The young boy often sat on the shore and imagined how it would be, to finally do it, to finally give in.

Seunghyun loved to picture how the sirens would welcome him, as one of their own, with welcoming arms. He loved to imagine they would greet him, with bright smiles on their ethereal faces, the dim light, just right under the surface, giving their soft skin a ghostly look.

In his dreams there were bright, glowing eyes, as beautiful as thousand stars, gently reassuring him that he did the right thing. He imagined the most beautiful of voices reaching his ears, singing him a lullaby and lulling him to sleep, in complete and utter harmony with the soft rocking of the sea.

 

As much as Seunghyun loved the sea, he couldn’t leave his town, just yet.

He couldn’t think of a reason to stay, but he couldn’t think of a reason to finally leave, either.

 

The sky darkened and twilight made itself present, the sun was hardly in sight anymore, slowly disappearing behind the horizon. The fading light was casting an eerie glow over wafting waves of mist.

The tall, twenty year old made his way to his favorite spot, like every night.

Like every other night, that week, he was not met with a single soul, no one dared to move around town, after the sun set. Seunghyun was the only one.

Like every other night he left the house in a hurry, not bothering to bring either, coat or torchlight.

Like every other night, silence was taking reign over the small town.

Until-

Seunghyun halted in his steps.

 

“Oh handsome stranger

Meet me here

On common ground,

No need for fear

 

Oh handsome stranger,

Lonely man,

Escape your life,

As long you can

 

Come with me

To lonely lands,

Lonesome travels,

Lonely friend.

 

Let us share

Our lonely fate

Let me warm you,

Empty mate.

 

Come lay down,

And float with me,

The open waters,

Seven sea

 

It's callin you,

It's callin me,

Hold me tight,

Don’t cease to be

 

I beg of you,

Oh lonely man,

Please come with me

And take my han’

I’m takin you

To lonely lands,

Lonely boy,

With empty hands,

 

I’m takin you,

To lonely lands.”

 

Frozen to the spot, Seunghyun listened. The voice was clearly coming from his usual place. Taking a deep breath, he followed it, towards the rock he had called home, for so long.

As he neared his destination he couldn’t help but to shiver violently.

Whatever that was, it was definitely not human.

 

Seunghyun, immediately feeling attracted towards the eerily beautiful sound, inched closer, carefully stepping over drift wood, making his way towards his rock.

Climbing it, he turned around 180 degrees, searching for the source of that melodious voice.

The minutes passed and he couldn’t see it.

Defeated, he sat down, looking over the calm ocean.

He was so immersed into his thoughts that he didn’t even hear the water breaking, as a head made its way up, from under the surface.

Curious, deep black eyes observed the unsuspecting human for a while, wondering if he really should make himself known, or not.

Slowly, a pale hand inched closer, towards the boy’s ankle, lightly tugging at it when he reached it.

Seunghyun rose quickly to his feet, startled and hurried to get his ankle out of the limp, grasping hands.

He hadn’t believed in all of the horror stories they told him over the past decades, however, that didn’t mean he would take the chance and let himself get pulled down under, without a fight. At least not today.

Calming his upset heart, he took a closer look at the pale figure.

It was a boy around Seunghyuns age.

He had pale, glistening skin and onyx orbs that held so much depth, Seunghyun felt his heart getting heavy, just by looking at them. His blond, shoulder length hair covered half of his face, with a messy fringe.

Seunghyun hadn’t ever seen someone as beautiful as him.

So… he was the source of that wonderful serenade.

 

Suddenly, Seunghyun wasn’t as scared anymore.

He inched closer again.

Hesitantly reaching out a trembling hand, before halting midair.

“C-Can I…” He swallowed harshly. “Can I touch you?” He asked weakly.

The creature, boy, only nodded.

 

He touched flawless, soft skin, his fingers, gingerly, mapping everything they could find, engraving the feeling under their tips into his mind, for eternity. He traced protruding collarbones and a sharp jaw, his eyes following his soft, exploring digits with fascination.

Slowly, they made their way towards the boy’s cheek, gently it.

The boy closed his eyes and leaned into the touch, sighing contently.

 

A peaceful silence spread between them, for a few minutes.

Seunghyun pulled away, after a while, meeting sad, hopeless orbs, mirroring a longing, so strong, he couldn’t possibly comprehend.

 

“What is your name?” His voice was the softest of whispers Seunghyun had ever heard.

“Seunghyun.” Seunghyun heard the voice of his grandma, faint, in the back of his head, warning him to never tell your name to otherworldly beings. Only fools would fall into that trap, she once told him.

“Seunghyun…” The boy repeated, smiling faintly.

And Seunghyun couldn’t care less about being a fool, about falling for a trap, when it was as sweet and alluring as this one. He’d gladly fall, as long as it meant that he could stay with this beautiful, beautiful being, for only one moment longer.

His name never sounded more beautiful, leaving those pale, blueish lips, like a soft autumn breeze.

“My name is Jiyong.” The boy, Jiyong said, whispering, like he had just told him a secret. If it was, it was surely the most beautiful Seunghyun had ever had the burden of keeping safe.

They both spent the night, caressing each other with fascination, wet digits trailing along the outlines of their bodies.

Slick, long, graceful hands, entangled in dark hair.

Heavy breathing. Lips meeting, cold and hot, in the most sensual of kisses, raw feelings, unhidden and untamed.

Seunghyuns heart was fluttering inside his chest, like a caged bird, weakly flapping its wings and desperately trying to get out of the grasp of the unforgiving iron bars

With every kiss, more and more, he felt like drowning, like losing his mind.

And he liked it, he liked it so much.

He begged for Jiyong to fill his lungs with water,

to flood his heart with love.

 

Morning drew close, the sun was rising and Seunghyun hadn’t come aware of how close he was getting to the surface of the ocean, almost sliding off the safe rock.

Only Jiyong’s cute little button nose and his eyes were still visible, still afloat, Seunghyuns upper half almost completely eased into the calm, cool water.

Seunghyun didn’t notice, or he didn’t care.

Who knew?

Seunghyun didn't know anything anymore.

That much was sure.

 

He pulled away, for a moment, catching his breath.

Jiyong stared at him for a moment and slowly let go of the others face, throwing him a last, longing glance, before disappearing under the glistening surface of the ocean.

The last thing Seunghyun saw, before making his way home, was the elegant, white, glittering fin, getting out of sight, real fast.

 

He made his way home, drenched from head to toe and deep in thoughts.

 

Looking into the mirror and observing his own, seemingly foreign face, was strange. For the first time in his life, Seunghyun saw a face he didn't recognize. He looked into his dark brown eyes and asked himself if it was possible, that he had already lost his soul, to Jiyong, if the beautiful siren had already pulled it along with him.

 

He might had and he might as well had already robbed him off his heart, too.

 

It certainly felt like it.

 

He felt cold, slender fingers, clenching tight around his heart, squeezing painfully.

 

He couldn’t breathe…

 

 

The only way to breathe, from now on,

 

...

 

...Was to drown.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I hope that wasn't too bad for a beginner, ayyy

see ya guys :*