Family

Growing Up

"Yes!"

"No."

"Yes!"

"Nooo."

"Please?"

"..."

"Pretty please Hyukkie?"

Hongbin was currently trying to convince Sanghyuk to play house with him but the younger didn't want to be the wife. They were both in Hongbin's toy room where his sisters' old play kitchen sat in the corner. Sanghyuk had saw it and wanted to play around with it when Hongbin came up with a perfect plan, according to himself, to play house. He had called playing as the husband and Hyuk was only left with playing as the wife. As soon as Sanghyuk heard Hongbin give him the role of the wife, he immediately pouted and faced the wall, his back facing the older boy.

"Hyukkie, please? I really want to play family with you!"

A few seconds passed by without anyone talking and Sanghyuk finally turned around. "Fine."

"Yay-" Hongbin cheered but before he could say anything else, Hyuk interrupted him.

The younger raised a finger and placed it on Hongbin's lips while looking into his hyung's eyes. "But only if I get to be the husband."

Hongbin looked up at the ceiling, contemplating over the younger's words. He really wanted to play family but was it worth being the wife? He turned to look at Hyuk and gave in when he stared at the younger.

"Okay.. You'll be the husband while I'll be the wife, but that means I get to cook for you!"

"What?! No! We can do it together hyung." Hyuk moved to stand up and reached for Hongbin's hands to pull him up. "No more arguing." And with that, Sanghyuk dragged Hongbin to the kitchen set. They both put on the aprons and washed their hands in the kitchen sink. Hongbin shyly turned around and looked up at Hyuk. Although Sanghyuk was younger than him by two years, he was a bit taller since both of his parents were above average in height.

"Yeobo," Hongbin cooed, "have a seat, I'll make food for you."

Hyuk looked at his hyung, surprised at what he said. Hongbin kept standing there blinking his eye at the younger, he gave an eye smile showing off his dimples and couldn't help but Sanghyuk give in, he might as well play along according to the roles.

"Aigoo, thank you Jagi~"

Sanghyuk took off his apron and sat on the chair, which came in a set with another chair and a table, watching Hongbin. In no time, his food was ready on a plastic plate right in front of him. Hongbin sat down in the other chair and rested his head on his palm watching Hyuk, waiting for a reaction. The younger picked up his fake food and pretended to eat it.

"Mhm," Hyuk made his eyes light up to express how delicious the food tasted, "hyung you cook so well!"

Hearing this made Hongbin feel proud even though he didn't actually make the food. "Really?" A nod from Sanghyuk and Hongbin's eyes couldn't be seen anymore. 

"Hyuk-ah, hyung will make you real food when we are older, okay?" Sanghyuk dropped his food as he was doing eating it and nodded.

"It's a promise then?"

"Promise."

Both boys locked their pinkies together and pressed their thumbs against one other.

"Guys," the door to the play room opened and Hongbin's mother popped in, "clean up and then go downstairs to have dinner."

"Neh!"

When Hongbin's mother closed the door, the boys hurried to clean up. Hongbin was in charge of tidying up the room while Sanghyuk was in charge of placing the fake food items and plates back in their rightful spot. Once they were finished cleaning up, Hongbin grabbed Sanghyuk's hand and pulled them towards the staircase but the younger boy stopped, standing in his place. Hongbin turned around as he was not able to pull Hyuk and sent a questioning look.

"Binnie-hyung, you forgot to take off your apron."

Hongbin looked down and realized he did forget to take it off. He was too busy cleaning up the room that the apron on his body felt like it wasn't there. He looked back up to see Hyuk giggling at him and blushed. The younger boy, still chuckling, came over to his hyung and helped take off his apron.

After placing the apron where it belongs, Sanghyuk interlocked his hands with Hongbin's and they made their way downstairs.

Once they both arrived in the dining room, the two friends sat beside one another at the table and ate in a peaceful silence.

 

--

 

That night, after Sanghyuk left to go home, Hongbin laid in bed with a big smile on his face. He couldn't stop thinking about all the events that happened during the day and with what happened during dinner, Hongbin was sure the two of them have definately gotten closer.

During dinner, Hongbin was eating the chicken on his plate when he suddenly felt a tug on his right hand. He looked down at his hand and saw Sanghyuk's left hand grabbing his and intertwining them together. He turned to look at the younger boy and their eyes met. Sanghyuk just smiled at him and his attention went back to his food. Hongbin felt his face heat up and looked back down at their locked hands.

"Binnie why aren't you eating your food?" His mother gave him a questioning look and that's when he noticed his whole family at the table was looking at him too.

"I- uh.." He stuttered not knowing what to say, he felt another person staring at him and turned to look. Hyuk was looking at him with the corner of his lips twitching up.

Sanghyuk cleared his throat and the rest of the family turned to look at him, "Mrs. Lee, I think I accidently kicked Binnie-hyung while I was eating." Hongbin's mother just nodded and they all went back to their dinner. Hongbin turned a bit and smiled to thank his friend and the hand that was holding Hyuk's got a squeeze in return.

 


 

Ending this chapter with a flashback from dinner time. 

I hope you enjoyed this chapter!