Invited

Crossed Love

It was past ten in the evening when I arrived in front of my appartment complex. After that little chat with Nurse Choi, I resumed working. The day went on without too much problems. Fortunately, only minor cases were to be treated in the ER nothing compared to the one I had to face last time. I ended the day without having any contact with Jungkook, I feel like my job of avoiding him worked really well. And I was glad because I didn’t want to face any more awkward moment. At least not for now.

 

Like always before going into my appartment, I check if I’ve received any mails. I looked through the stash of four or five letters. The first few weren’t that important, mainly bills but the second to last letter caught my attention. Maybe because in it were written the word, in a quite pop-up color: “YOU ARE INVINTED” but also because the logo of my old high school adorned the corner of the envelope. I decided to wait before I actually was in my appartment to read the letter.

 

After taking my coat off and dropping my bag on the grond, I sat myself on my couch sighed in relief that my first day was fianlly done.

 

Not forgetting about the letter, I opened it.

 

Dear Angel Ahn,

 

Like every year, Seoul’s school of Performing  Arts organises its annual reunion party. And on that night your bach is the one that gets to get a walk down memory lane.

 

We are thus, proud to tell you that you have been invited to come to the reunion party of SoPA for the bach of 2007-08.

 

The party will be held on April 12 in the school’s gymnasium and it begins at 8pm.

 

We will look forward to seeing you there and we hope you will enjoy your night.

 

Kind regards,

 

The direcction of SoPA.

 

Has it already been 8 years since I’ve gratuated from SoPA? Time flies so fast, I remember when I was still in that high school and I woul usually see all the posters of the previous reunion parties they held at school. At that time I didn’t think much of those, I like to live the moment so all the worries about my future and so wasn’t first on my priority list.

 

Somehow I felt excited to go to this party. I would be able to go back to my old school and see old friends I wasn’t able to keep in touch with and at the same time I could reminisce. I was cut off my train of thoughts by my phone ringing. I answered after seeing that my best friend was the one calling and I knew exactly why.

 

“ANGEL! Oh my god! Did you get the letter?” An excited voice said through my phone. I shook my head at her enthousiasm though a smile lingered on my face.

 

“Why Yuna-yah? You didn’t?” I joked and she laughed.

 

“I am so excited! I can’t believe it’s been 8 years already. Time flies so fast!” She sighed.

 

“I know right, that’s just what I was thinking.” I paused, “I wonder how much the school has changed since then…” I tried to remember bits of what the school used to look like.

 

“They better have not destroyed our place! Or else I’m lodging a complaint!”

 

I laughed at what she said, sometimes she can say the weirdest but most funniest thing. “Yeah and I’m sure that will lead you somewhere…” I shool my head.

 

“Hey that’s no joke! We had so much memories there, it’s a special place for me.” She paused, “And for you too! I’m sure!”

 

“We did have a lot of memories there.” I sighed dreamily as I looked back at all the things we did there. It was like our safe haven, a place only me and her shared. That’s where our friendship began and how it grew and hardened into this great one we have now. It does have a special meaning to me and I would be more than sad to see it gone. “You’re right, I should join you on that complaint!”

 

We ended up bursting out in laughter.

 

“Anyway, the D-Day is in a week should we go shopping sometime this week to get the best outfits?” She asked.

 

“Of course! We don’t want to look ugly on that oh so important night. Also we don’t want to ruin our old reputations of being THE fashionistas of our grade.” I told her, we did have that reputation. We were even voted best dressed at our end of the year party.

 

“Then it’s a plan!” She said, “I can’t wait to see how everybody has grown up! I want ot hear everybody’s story!”

 

“Girl, a night won’t be enough to do that, you’ll need two weeks!” I laughed.

 

“What do you think happened to Hyerin? Or Lea? Let’s not even forget Jenny! Omg I miss those girls? Can’t believe we didn’t keep in touch!” I could feel her pout on the other line.

 

“Oh! What do you think happened to Jongsuk, huh? Or Jaehyun? I wonder where they are now.” I said listing off the name of her high school exes.

 

“Oh my god! Angel stop! I don’t want to know.” I heard a tap signaling that she had facepalmed herself, “Forgot, that with the reunion party also came awkward reunions with the exes. Which reminds me! What about Joohyuk?”

 

I coughed hard at the sudden mention of that name. I wasn’t ready for that and like her I completely forgot I went to high school with him.

 

“Breath boo.” She laughed, “Don’t you wonder where he is now?”

 

Oh the irony, Yuju-yah I already know whre he is and I’m really not happy about it. I sighed, “If only you knew.”

 

“What is that supposed to mean?” She asked, “What do I not know?”

 

“You know what Yuna-yah, that’s a story for another time. I’m really tired from my first day.” I yawned. “I’ll talk to you soon!”

 

“No! Wait! I’m not finished yet!” She screamed over the phone, “I need some explanations now! I can’t wait! Yah Ahn Angel don’t you dare hang up on me, I swear I’ll kill you! Come on tell-”

 

“Yeah bye Yuju-yah! Love you!” I made a kissing sound before hanging up. Almost instantly I got a message notification and I laughed.

 

I yawned again and stretched. I’m so tired! A good shower then I’m out.

 

 

***

 

 

“Good morning Nurse Choi, Nurse Kim!” I exclaimed as I walked through my work place.

 

“Good morning Chief Ahn!” They exclaimed back with smiles.

 

I headed to my office to put on my coat and take out me stethoscope. Once I was ready I headed to the main desk and took the first file I could grab.

 

“So how was last night? Nothing major went in?” I asked the nurses.

 

“No only minor cases of night accidents and so on. Fortunately nothing serious came in last night, we even had some time to take a nap.” Nurse Kim said.

 

I nodded at what he said at the same time I was reading the file I had in hand. It’s about a patient that came in because he claims that his stomach has been aching for quite some time. It might be a mild case of appendicitis. I might want to check on that one.

 

“I love those nights when you can get some nap done when on your shift. Unfortunately they only happen rarely!” I sighed as I told nurse Kim. “I’m headed to see Patient Kim Yeol”

 

“Alright chief! Call us if you need something.”

 

“Will do!” I walked to where the patient was. I pushed on the button to open the door of the room. It was a two persons room, with two hospital beds. The high tech door was centered on the wall and at each side of it stood a desk with all the basic necessities to treat or examine a patient.

 

In the bed lied a teeange boy and by his side on a chair was another teenage bo, his friend I suppose. “Hello boys” I smiled to them. The boy who was sitting looked relieved to see me while the one lying had a pained expression written on his face.

 

“I’m Dr. Ahn” I continued, “I looked through your file and saw that your friend has severe stomach aches,” the friend nodded at what I said. “Before asking you any questions I’ll inject your friends of some pain killers to diminish what he’s feeling right now.”

 

“Thank you” His friend said and I went on to do the injection.

 

 “Do you perhaps know when it started?” I asked him aware of the fact that the boy lying would have a hard time answering my questions.

 

“Hum, it’s been about a week maybe less. But it got worse this morning that is why we are here.” I nodded.

 

“I’ll examine him but I have a feeling that he has appendicitis. Could you call his parents, maybe? We might need them if what I think is true.”

 

“I-I already did. They are on thier way they said. They should be here soon.” He sounded exhausted. He must be here since early this morning.

 

“Would you mind helping me take his shirt off” I asked him it would be a hassle to do a check up with clothes on. The boy nodded and helped his friend undress.

 

“Thank you…” I just realized now that I didn’t know the boy’s name.

 

“Choi Hyungdon” He said.

 

“Thanks Hyungdon-ssi” I smiled to him. I went ahead and did all the necessary stuff. When I pressed down his lower right part of his stomach he seemed to flinch. I tried again this time pressing lightly on the stomach, still he flinched. Yup I was right he has appendicitis. “I’m pretty sure by now that he has appendicitis. But to be 100% sure and also to see if he doesn’t have anything else I’ll have to do a blood check up. Which means I have to draw some of his blood.” I said to the friend.

 

“Once I get the results and once his parents are here I’ll schedule an appendectomy for him as soon as possible.”

 

“Is-is he gonna be okay?” Hyungdon asked in concern.

 

“Don’t worry he’ll be fine. It’s a minor surgery once it’s done he’ll be as good as new. Though for now he has to endure the pain for a while.” I tried to reassure him with a smile. “I’ll go ahead now then. I’ll see you guys soon”

 

“So how did it go?” Nurse Choi asked as she saw me come back to the main reception desk.

 

“Just a minor case of appendicitis. I examined his body and I’m sure of it but I still need to do a blood check up, we never know there might be something hiding down there. Though I hope there’s nothong.” I told her, “Do you mind getting this blood tested?”

 

“Oh no don’t worry! I’ll send it to the department right now. We’ll have the result by noon.”

 

I thanked her and went on to my next patients. And just like that my morning went flying in a blurr. It was only when I was disturbed by a giant playboy pestering me to go eat with him that I knew it was noon already.

 

“I don’t have time, I need to check on a patient right now.” I told him firmly.

 

“Well when you’re done you can come eat with me huh?” Joohyuk continued to insist. Oh my god how persistent is this boy really. “I won’t leave you until you agree!”

 

“Don’t you have patients to go to? Are you really that free?” I tried to play the work card. Of course it didn’t work.

 

“Nope! I don’t have an appointment until 2:30 pm so I have two and a half hours to spend. And I want to spend them with you of course.” He wiggled his eyebrows at me. I almost gagged at his attempt at flirting. “Hi noona!”

 

“Is he bothering you?” Nurse Choi asked.

 

“Unfortunately yes.” I sighed and shook my head. Exhaustion seemed to always come when I’m with one of these boys, “Anyway, did the results came in?”

 

“Yes, and unless the appendicitis nothig seems wrong with the boy.” Nurse Choi handed me the papers.

 

“Good then, what a relief.” I said. “I’ll go to the patient now.” Nurse Choi nodded at me and I was on my way to the patients with Joohyuk still trailing behind me.

 

“Can you not follow me? I’m working here and I don’t need you to disturb me while doing so.” I said to him.

 

“I told you I won’t leave you alone until you agree.” Ugh this boy really.

 

“Just be quiet.” I shushed him. “Hello again.”

 

“Doctor!” A middle aged woman went to me almost immediately after I got in the room. “How is my son”

 

“Don’t worry Mrs Kim, he is okay nothing major” I continued, “Like I said to Hyungdon-ssi I think he has appendicitis and after seeing his blood results it seems like I am right. And besides that nothing else is wrong with him. He’ll just have to go through surgery and then he’ll as good as new.” I told her. “That’s why I need you and Mr. Lee to come with me so we could schedule the surgery and at the same time fill all the paperworks.”

 

They immediately agreed and we were then headed to my office to discuss this all. Still with  Joohyuk trailing behind us, thankfully he kept quiet and didn’t say a thing. I let the couple go into my office first. “I’ll be inside in a second, make yourself comfortable.” I alerted them before closing the door behind them. “Okay can you really stop following me? It’s getting creepy.” I told him.

 

He pretended to be thinking about an answer, “No”

 

I sighed in annoyance, “Why are you so persistent!” I groaned.

 

“Wel if you just said yes right off the bat I wouldn’t be following you right now.”

 

“Alright fine! I’ll go eat with you but this will be the first and last time I do!” I told him firmly. “Now can you go?”

 

“We’ll see about that!” He laughed, “I’ll wait for you here, I expect you to be free after this meeting. So to not waste time we’ll go right after you finish!”

 

“Dr.Nam, you still have two hours of free time I think we got all the time-”

 

“Nope we don’t, so go inside. Quick!” He cut me off before litteraly pushing inside the room.

 

The meeting with the parents didn’t take too long, about a quarter or so. Patient Kim Yeol will have his surgery tonight and right after this meeting he will be transferred to the General Surgery department.

 

“Thank you very much for your help Dr.” Mrs. Kim said to me.

 

“Don’t worry, it is my job after all” I smiled to her and shook her and her husband’s hand before leading them out.

 

They went on to their son’s side. Suddenly I was being dragged by someone.

 

“Yah Nam Joohyuk! Let go!” I screamed to him while struggling to make him let go. He didn’t let go though, he only loosened his grip on me not too hard so it doesn’t hur but not too loose so I could easily escape. He knew all too well that the second he let go I’ll be running away from him.

 

We passed the emergency department and we were now at the main lobby. The entrance not too far from us. At the same moment Jungkook, Mark and Mingyu came in from the doors. With Joohyuk speed, we zoomed past them.

 

“Yah! Nam Joohyuk where are you going!” Mingyu cried behind us.

 

“I’m taking Angel on a date!” He looked back at them with a smirk on his face.

 

I was shocked at first by what he said but I quickly denied everything, “This is not a date!”

 

And just like that I was being dragged out of the hospital to God knows where.

 

 

***

 

 

“Can I take your order?” The waitress of the restaurant asked. Joohyuk had succesfully dragged me into a korean restaurant. Not really fancy just a regular korean restaurant.

 

“I’ll take a bibimbap, please” I told the waitress. She nodded and wrote my order.

 

“And I’ll take a BBQ Beef and add with that one serving of egg roll and spicy rice cakes. Thank you” Joohyuk ordered. When the waitress was gone an awkward silence fell upon us. “Gosh I’m starving” Joohyuk tried to break the silence.

 

“I see that from the amount of food you’ve just ordered.” I told him.

 

He laughed, “It’s not only for me, it’s for the two of us silly.” He continued, “And before you say anything, I’m treating.”

 

“What? No, I-” I was cut off.

 

“It’s only fair since I’ve dragged you here against your will.” He smiled at me and a little part of me melted at that.

 

I didn’t know what to say so I only rolled my eyes at him. Some more minutes of awkward silence until I’ve decided to break it, “So did you also receive an invitation?”

 

“What invitation?” He was unsure about what I was talking about, at least that’s what was written on his face.

 

“You know, about the reunion party of our old high school. The one they hold every year. Seems like this year it was our grade that will be celebrated.” I told him. Did the school forget to send him an invitation? Or did his hasn’t come yet. It’s probably the latter but I would feel more than relieved if he wasn’t invited.

 

 “Silly! My reunion party was last year. I was a grade above you.” He laughed.

 

Oh my god. That completely slipped out of my mind. He was a year above me back when we were in high school. How stupid can I get really? I facepalmed myself in front of him and groaned. “Right, you are older than me.”

 

He continued laughing, “You were aways so forgetful.”

 

“Don’t remind me! And to top it all it makes me look like a fool.” I groaned.

 

“If it comforts you just a little bit, I find it really cute, the way you forget things” he smiled at me and yet again something moved inside of me.

 

“Sh-shut up!” I stuttered. Damn how can I still react like this when he compliments me. I shouldn’t be flustered by what he’s saying. Urgh he always had a way with words mainly the reason why he is such a playboy. The way he talks and says things can make someone feel things so easily and don’t get me started with his looks. He could get just about anybody with his good looks. Fortunately I was already fooled once so I am kind of immune to all of that now but still it doesn’t help me to have some reaction out of his actions.

 

I must have been thinking for too long because now Joohyuk was expecting an answer from a question I haven’t heard. “I-I’m sorry I didn’t get that” I said embarassed.

 

“Lost in your thoughts again?” He laughed, felt like a recurrent thing. “I was asking how do you like it so far, working in AMC”

 

“Oh! It’s great, no major changes from my old job except for the new colleagues and the new workplace.”

 

“It’s great that you like to be in our Centre.” He smiled broadly, “Now that you’re here, I feel like the life in the Centre will be more lively than ever.”

 

“How so?” I asked curiously.

 

“I just know.” He smirked my way.


Hey guys!

I know it's been a while since I've updated this story. 5 months if I counted correctly. I am really and deeply sorry for making you wait so long on this story. I was caught up with school and work so I wasn't able to continue writing this story. Fortunately now I'm on vacation so I have more than enough time to write something and catch up to the five months of my absence.

To thank you guys for your patience, I've written this long update that counts more than 3,000 words! A first for me I tell you but I was really inspired when I was writing this story.

About the story, I would like you all to welcome a new character! Choi Yuna! Angel's bestfriend since high school.

TBH, I've become a fan of GFRIEND not too long ago and I felt that I should put one of them in my story. My bias being Yuju I felt like she was fit to enter the story as Angel's bestfriend. Which will probably lead to an encounter with Dr. Ha that will probably happen sometime later in the story ;)

What do you think will happen at the party? What I can promise you guys is that that party will be eventful.

Well I guess that's it for now guys!

Like always if you didn't already please subscribe and comment on the story! Don't forget to enjoy it and if you really like it give it an upvote, I'll be really grateful :)

Until next time, stay awesome guys!