o4

Skin and Bones
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yunho was never good at waking up in the morning. There was always something alluring about the clutches of sleep that prevented him from opening his eyes to face his reality. He could control his dreams just as surely as he could control his Casts. Dreams were a gift he selfishly guarded, knowing all too well that they were the only thing he could keep for himself. Casting was not something he enjoyed, not the majority of the time. It was an obligation that spanned from duty and pride. It was a gift Grandmother had constantly reminded him of, for the benefit of others. A Castor should not be selfish in their own whims, or they cease to be good. It was only in his dreams that he could truly become selfish with a happy Jaejoong by his side and his Grandmother looking on proudly.

Jaejoong would chase after him, swinging him about in his arms once they were in each other's hold and safely tuck himself against Yunho. They would inhale each other's scent and fall down onto the poppy fields, their hair intermingling with each other until they realized it was dark and Grandmother was calling them in for supper. Jaejoong would turn to him, his cherub face pink and flushing from the soothing heat, and he would lean over and place his ear on Yunho's chest. His brother would listen and chatter to him about how he wanted to stay like this forever but he really wanted to eat something. And deep down, Yunho would continue to fight his inner battles and the rational side would win, brushing himself up and lifting his brother onto his back before heading towards the flickering light of home and love and safety.

That was what his dreams usually were, and he was sure he had drawn himself into a forbidden journey when he was from his dark successions into a reality all too sweet. A lighted candle entertained his visions not far from him, its hearth creating a halo of sorts onto the mud room. His chest bared itself against the cool night, a thin layer of perspiration coming undone across his bronze sculpted muscles. His smock was thrown leisurely across the table that held the candle and his legs intertwined with thin lithe limbs of another. It took him a good minute to realize that they were his brother's and the relief that welled up inside of him was formidable at its best.

Jaejoong sprawled against his side, a gentle hand gingerly placed across his torso and his head occupying the opening of Yunho's arms. He found himself sighing in satisfaction, a tinge of happiness evading his worries. He had remembered praying to find Jaejoong, having no doubt Kint and Fi would discover his brother in no time, but the time apart would eat at him. He could not remember a time in which they would be separated for long. It was unsettling to know that his baby brother was wandering the forest alone. Jaejoong wasn't meant for nature as Yunho was. He belonged where there was light. The trees could barely allow the sun from penetrating its barriers.

"You idiot," he heard a sniffle, his mind shooting in alarm at the sorrow. "Why would you do that? You knew how much you meant to me and you forced me to run," a cry erupted from his brother's throat, causing his shame to crush his momentary bliss. The body in his arms shuffled, turned towards him and he could only groan as dark eyes glared into his own. Jaejoong had quite the temper but it wasn't everyday that the anger was directed at him. "You are an idiot," Jaejoong frowned, spreading the most adorable look of anger across his face.

"Fi wouldn't have hurt you," Yunho tried to salvage his reasons, his good judgment leaving him as soon as the glint of anger doubled in Jaejoong's stare.

"You'd wish Fi hadn't hurt me once I'm done with you," Jaejoong threatened, his hands raising up to give a good pinch and twist to Yunho's nose. Yunho's flinch at the treatment had Jaejoong softening, his anger leaving and giving way to love as he held his brother close. "Next time we run into trouble, I want us to run together," Jaejoong finalized, his voice a steel against his velvet touches. "And you will promise me you won't force me to leave you behind."

"I promise," Yunho smiled, knowing all too well he could not keep his promise. Jaejoong's life was too important to him. He heaved out a breath and strengthened his arms around Jaejoong, wanting so much to pin his brother down and stay in the interlock until time faded, but he knew they had places to be. He did not know the name of the village his uncle resided in and every attempt at trying to remember the scenery of the wedding was lost onto his mind. It was as if he had been rendered numb, down to the last of his feelings, and the images were pitless and dark.

"I need to go," Jaejoong whispered to him before drawing back and sitting him upright. The words caused confusion to flare its ugly head, and he was immediately up and grasping Jaejoong's forearm in an attempt to prevent him from leaving. "Relax," Jaejoong smiled, carefully releasing himself from Yunho's searing hold.

"Where are we?" Yunho asked for the first time, glancing about in caution. He had never questioned where they were once he had awoken, but as the situation at hand sunk slowly into him, he realized he knew nothing of their current location. A spark ignited as he looked at the walls, knowing all too well that they were still in their village. "Jaejoong we need to go," he snapped, making to stand up and hissing as his fleshy hands came into contact with wood. He cursed as he held his injured palm, seeing for the first time his burnt skin and fingers. They were a burgendy color, kind of like the crimson brown of spoiled apple, and the image made his mind swim and stomach lurch.

His attempt at twitching his fingers was futile, and he thank the gods for his gift to mentally Cast because he wasn't sure his fingers could lift up a brush ever again. It would take a while until the stinging would disperse and the stiffness would be forgotten, but it was extremely inconvenient for them both if he couldn't use his hands.

"We're in a safe place, trust me," Jaejoong uttered, ghosting out a smile to calm his fears but leaving too much room for doubt. He wasn't trusting like Jaejoong was. His brother was strong, but he lacked the conviction to spot lies. If whoever they were intruding was bad, they would surely be outed.

He didn't risk himself for this. sitting up swiftly, he spotted his garments hanging at the head of the bedpost and hurled them on. "We can't trust anyone," he grunted, taking extreme caution not to overwork his wound. "We aren't safe here." Taking his things and turning to Jaejoong, he let out a miniscule shudder when his eyes met those of calm auburn spring, not at all like the frightened e

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter