03

Skin and Bones
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The rippling onslaught of pain across his mind startled him awake, the intensity causing him to shudder as his body shot from the ground. His neck ached, and he barely registered his surroundings as he tried to soothe the sting. Wincing as he tenderly prodded the injury, he surveyed his surroundings. He was instantly caressed in a familiar hold as he regained his senses, his smell being the first to return. It was the gentle musk of spices that settled his nerves, knowing all too well the scent's owner. His vision was second to come, his eyes greeting Yunho's face, and then his brother's room registered across his retina.

It was the sight of his chaotic surroundings that impacted him the most, forcing out a cry of grief as the memories came rushing back. He could remember it all too clearly, the sound of sword sheathing and the damp air against his skin as he struggled against his brother's hold.

"Gran," he choked, doubling over and dry-heaving as the vision of sword splintering wood panels replayed in his mind. He felt like puking, the feelings erupting in a wave of anger as strong arms wrapped him tightly in an embrace. He knew his brother's hold--knew it deep in his soul--but it did little to soothe him. The ache at his neck reminded Jaejoong of his brother's act, and he could not help but spill tears at the realization.

"Y-you, you-" he accused, pushing Yunho away from him and curling into himself. He tucked his quivering chin into his folded arms, wanting nothing more than to wallow in his agony. "How could you," he whispered, anguish deep in his soul. He couldn't blame his brother, knowing all too well he would do the same had they been in each other's position, but it was with misery as he remembered the strike against his neck, knocking him unconscious. He would never hurt Yunho, no matter how much he was teased or angered. It tore at his soul.

"Jaejoong please, we need to leave," Yunho begged, oblivious to his brother's fears. "They will be back, we cannot remain here," he said, fingers grabbing at Jaejoong's own and jerking him towards the door. He needed to get his brother to safety. The thought that the bastards would come back sent fear down his spine, his mind clouding with paranoia. He had gathered as much parchment as he could carry, knowing all too well that he could always Cast whatever was needed when the time arose. Jaejoong had been out for an hour, each passing minute sending a new set of fear to eat at his consciousness. Escaping to safety was the only thought he could afford to ponder over.

"Come," he urged, standing up quickly and turning towards the door. His eyes widened in surprise as his younger brother stilled, lips trembling as he shook his head. "Jaejoong, we need to go," he hissed, trying to sound as calm as he could muster. It wasn't as gentle as he had hoped, his heart breaking as he saw his younger brother constrict tighter into his body, eyes glistening in fear.

"Oh Jae," he choked, settling himself onto the bed and pulling the quivering form into his arms. "I'm so sorry," he pleaded, running his hands up and down the curve of his brother's back. "I'm scared too," he admitted, guilt shedding inside of him as Jaejoong's breath frolicked. Combing through the honey strands of Jaejoong's hair, he pulled the younger's face away and stared into Jaejoong's own. Fear intermixed with loss ripped across his beloved's features, and he wished to all the world that he could bring a smile to those lips.

Leaning in, he lingered a kiss on Jaejoong's forehead, his lips ghosting down to settle a chaste comfort on Jaejoong's nose. "We'll get through this," he promised, pulling Jaejoong's head against his neck and listening to Jaejoong breathe. He knew all was well once daint fingers trailed up to his forearms, gripping onto him like a life support.

He wanted to bask in the moment--to relinquish all his problems--but he knew that time was betting against him. Pushing Jaejoong away, he guided the other up and beckoned him towards the door. "We need to leave. Anywhere but here," he finalized, more to himself than to his brother. They would seek shelter in the village. The people would surely help them.

His hand linked with Jaejoong's own, his mind giving one last prayer of safety as they left the confines of their home. He didn't know where to go, but he knew that staying in an inn was too dangerous. There was too many people--too many witnesses. Socializing was not his skill. It was something he deeply regretted not attempting at as he hurled them into the village, sticking against the shadows as he planned. He knew no one, and he was sure Jaejoong knew no one as well. They spent all their days together. It wasn't a matter of him not trusting the younger's friends, but he could not risk their lives. He couldn't afford to pull anyone into this.

"," he cursed, his mind in a frenzy as he lead them around the outskirts of the village. The forlorn structure of a stable met his vision and he felt the searing crush of burden lift from his shoulders. They would have to hide among the horses for now. It was the safest bet for them. "Only tonight," he promised as he prodded the stable-door open, wincing as it creaked. He ushered Jaejoong in before he entered, peering outside tentatively to check for witness before he closed the door, his thoughts in peace knowing that no one had seen them. "Jae-" he began, turning around to confront the other. Jaejoong's body impacted with his, sending him to stumble a few steps as the younger clung onto him, head digging into his chest and a sob running on his lips.

"Hey," he whispered, nuzzling his chin against Jaejoong's hair, "we'll get through this," he vowed, his hands surrounding Jaejoong's waist and rubbing away the younger's concerns. "Gran is still alive, and we will find her. I promise everything will be all right again."

A gasp resounded from Jaejoong as he took in the words. "Gran isn't dead," he startled, feeling overwhelming hope rise up inside. His eyes brightened, morphing into its usual glow as happiness developed onto his visage.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter