Part 4

The Merman

She was screaming at him, and before he could understand why, he was screaming back at her. Yixing wanted her to stop so he could stop too, but it was highly unlikely. This wasn't how humans normally communicate was it?

She was pointing at something on his lower body before jumping around and quickly covering her eyes. He looked down, feeling confused. Was there any part on his lower body that she wasn't supposed to see? Like how all mermaids cover their s with seashells? Was he supposed to cover a part of his lower body with seashells too? Should he ask her?

But before he could ask however, she had already gone inside. She reemerged with something in her hand and quickly threw that thing at him. Yixing caught it, feeling the soft material with his fingers. Was he supposed to use this to cover himself?

"It's a towel." Tasha finally said when the look of bewilderment never left the man's face. "To cover your... junk." She continued, making the action of wrapping a towel around one's body. She had concluded that he wasn't about to her. If his intention was just that, he would've pounced on her the moment she stepped foot on the balcony. But then he was on her balcony. Why was he on her balcony?

Yixing's mouth formed a perfect 'o' and proceeded to follow her action. Once he was done, he looked up at her, a wide smile on his face. "Is this better?"

Tasha raised her eyebrow at him, and shook her head in disbelieve. There were more pressing questions that needed answering than whether his appearance was better or not.

"Who are you and what are you doing on my balcony?" Tasha asked abruptly.

"I'm..." Yixing stopped short. How was he to explain who he was without telling her what he really was? He supposed he could at least tell her his name. "My name is Yixing."

"And? Wait a minute, don't tell me you're the weird guy next door who keeps banging on the wall in the middle of the night!" Tasha exclaimed accusingly. Maybe that was why he was so reluctant to tell her who he was!

"Err..." Yixing felt lost. He had absolutely no idea what she just said. It made no sense whatsoever to him. He had to do something. Maybe he should change the topic. Right. What was it that Kris hyung said this morning? If things got awkward with a girl, always turn to... Yixing frowned. What was it? Think Yixing, think! Almost immediately, his eyes lit up. Weather! If things got awkward with a girl, always turn to weather!

Yixing promptly shivered. In all honesty, it was quite cold. He had never been so dry before. The water had regulated his body temperature perfectly, but now that he was no longer one with it, the wind was sharp and biting on his dry skin. His teeth chattered. "I'm... c-c-cold..."

Tasha rolled her eyes and pointed at the water chalet beside her. "Go back next door and find something to wear then!"

"I'm n-n-not from t-t-there..." Yixing suttered. "Please, I'm r-really r-r-really cold."

Tasha tapped her foot in obvious exasperation, sizing the handsome stranger up. A part of her wanted to call security, but another part of her, a part that lacked common sense, wanted to bring him in and gave him something to wear. Right now, as she stood staring at the stranger, that part was winning.

"Ugh fine!" She exclaimed as she stormed back into her room, Yixing following suit with a smile on his face. Maybe it helped that he was so incredibly irresistable. Yixing knew it, and he damn well knew that she knew it too.

He stood by the door, watching her in fascination as she rummaged through a space with a door before she emerged, holding a black... wait, what was she holding?

"Here, put this on." She said as she shoved the black thing against his chest. Yixing held on to it, the feeling of bewilderment returning with a vengeance. What was he supposed to do with this?!

Tasha rolled her eyes. Really, even at the sight of a black tux, he still managed to look lost? Was this guy an alien or something? "Don't tell me you've never seen a tux before. It's something for you to wear."

"But I don't know how." Yixing replied with a furrow of his brow. "I've never worn one before."

Tasha growled under her breath, getting increasingly exasperated. She was extremely sleepy, and this guy was seriously getting on her nerves. Ok, so maybe he was so poor he couldn't afford a tux. But it has the basic concept of any other outfit; a pair of pants and a buttoned up shirt, topped up with a pair of jacket. Surely he knew how to wear those! Unless if he was an alien. Tasha never believed in aliens before, but maybe she should. Nothing is impossible in this generation anymore.

"This," Tasha said as she grabbed the pants from his grip, "is for your lower body." She continued, holding up the pants against her legs. "And this," she grabbed the white shirt and held it up," "is for your upper body."

"They're not yours are they?" Yixing asked curiously. He was all for covering himself, after all he was quite cold, but he wasn't looking forward to cross dressing if these materials belonged to her. Imagined having asked to wear those uncomfortable seashells against his chest. Ugh, Yixing inwardly shuddered. So bloody uncomfortable!

Tasha heaved a deep breath, trying to ebb away her irritation. He was lucky he was so damn good looking. She wouldn't give him the time of the day if he wasn't. "They belonged to my ex-fiance. It's the only thing of his that I didn't throw into the ocean, mainly because I paid for it. I plan to return it to the shop once I return to the city so make sure you don't dirty it."

Yixing smiled crookedly at her. Now he finally understood why she always looked so sad everytime he saw her. Ex-fiance. He would have to ask her about that later, once she got comfortable enough with him of course. He grabbed the knot that was holding his towel up, ready to let it drop to the ground when she emitted an ear splitting scream.

"What are you doing?" She asked in panic.

"Getting dressed." Yixing furrowed his brow.

"Not here you idiot!" Tasha shouted before pushing him into the bathroom. "God! You're so freaking unbelievable aren't you?!"

Yixing chuckled to himself as he slipped on the white shirt first (making sure to leave some of his chest exposed), then the black pants. He had to admit, he looked pretty decent for a merman turned human. And the human female looked prettier yelling at him than limp in his arms like the last time. He grinned in obvious glee. He was going to have a blast today. He walked out of the room and had the pleasure of watching her jaw dropped open. "Like what you see?" He asked, a smug look on his face.

"Ahhh pssshhh!" Tasha sputtered, her cheeks increasingly red. "I've seen better!"

She hadn't in fact. Her ex-fiance was good looking, but certainly not as good looking as this Greek God that stood before her. And why would he leave some of his buttons open?!? His collarbone was y enough, she didn't need to know that the dip in the middle of his chest was a clear indication that he worked out... a lot. She found herself wondering if his arms were just as muscular, and quickly formulated a plan in her head on how to purposely bump into him later... many many times.

"You're drooling."

"Am not!" Tasha shrieked indignantly before she stood up to fix her hair. "Anyways, I'm going for breakfast. You can come along.. if you want."

Yixing's eyes immediately lit up. "Ooooh! What are we having?!" "Seafood, most probably. That's all they ever served in this place."

Yixing made a face. Tasha turned to look at him. "What? You don't like seafood?"

It wasn't that he didn't like seafood, it was just that he had had enough of it to last him a lifetime. "Isn't there anything else to eat?"

"I supposed we could have pizza, but it's quite early for it."

"Pizza's fine!" Yixing interrupted even though he had no idea what it was. But it sounded good and besides, he was never going to get another chance of eating human food after this. So he might as well.

It turned out he really loved pizza, and ended up eating 2 large pizzas while Tasha just stared at him in amazement. How could he eat so much and still looked so fit and feel so muscular? She knew, because she bumped into him many a times when they headed to town, and she planned to bump into him even more when the day progresses. Never mind her ex fiance, this guy was so much better.

They walked around town for quite a while after that, he in shoes that belonged to her ex fiance. It surprised Tasha how easily amazed he was at everything they walked by, almost as if he had never seen any of it before. Maybe he really was an alien. Shouldn't she be terrified though? Even if she didn't believe in aliens? But then, she never thought her ex would cheat on her and right about now, she supposed anything was possible.

"Oooh! What's that she's eating?" Yixing asked as he pointed at a little girl excitedly.

"That's an ice cream. You've never had ice cream before?"

"No! Let's go get one!" He squealed, grabbing hold of her arm and pulling her towards the place the little girl came out of.

They spent the rest of the day in much the same way, and before long, Tasha grew to love his child-like innocence, convinced more than ever that he was most probably not human. But she couldn't just flat out ask him, hey are you an alien? Because that would surely freak him out. It would freak her out too if he answered yes.

"Hey, what are you thinking about?" He asked, slurping his bubble tea.

Tasha shook her head. "Nothing. It's just... I'm surprised by how surprised you are with everything. Where did you say you come from again?" She replied as they walked home.

Yixing threw the empty cup away and bit his lips nervously. "I never said where I came from."

"Exactly." Tasha said when they finally reached her water villa. They were both standing on the balcony by then. Tasha thought he looked slightly anxious, and she wondered why. "Mind telling me?"

Yixing could see in the horizon that the sun was about to set and he gulped for air. His chest was starting to constrict, and he felt the gills growing from behind his ears. He scanned the ocean, he wasn't sure what he was looking for, until his eyes landed on the small island. "Hey, will you do me a favor?"

Tasha furrowed her brow. It was too early to do a favor for someone she barely knew but there was just something about him that intrigued her. She would walk on water if he asked her to.

Yixing pointed to the island. "That island. Go there tomorrow. Then I'll tell you who I am."

"How am I supposed to go there?!"

"I don't know. Just figure something out. But please. Meet me there tomorrow." He was pleading, and Tasha found herself nodding her head. Good God, what the hell was he doing to her? "O-okay."

Yixing beamed at her. 2 more minutes. "Great. See you tomorrow Tasha. Can you please get me a towel?"

Tasha went inside to grab one but when she came back out, Yixing was no longer there. Strange. Did he jump into the water? In the far distance, she thought she saw a golden tail, but she wasn't completely sure. Maybe her eyes were playing tricks on her. She was exhausted after all.

***

"Why'd you ask her to meet you there?" Kris asked as soon as Yixing returned.

Yixing grinned at him, the human clothing he wore draped on his shoulders. "Hyung! I had the best time of my life! I'm so glad Suho let me do this!" He said, not bothering to answer Kris.

"Yixing." Kris said quietly. "You're not planning on telling her who you are, are you?"

That was precisely what he wanted to do, but Kris didn't have to know that. Kris didn't have to follow him tomorrow either.

"No, of course not." Yixing lied. "C'mon hyung. Let's go home before the others start to wonder where we are."

Kris let it go, but he wasn't entirely convinced. What would happen if Yixing did tell her? He was old enough to know that not all humans are bad, but telling them still wasn't a good idea. He should trust Yixing, but his brother could be so stupid sometimes. No matters, he was going to follow him again tomorrow. He would make sure Yixing wouldn't say anything.

***

That night, Tasha dreamt of mermen with golden tails, and Yixing's face on all of them.

***

Yixing couldn't get her lips out of his mind. He would kiss her tomorrow, then tell her who he was.

***

Kris would make sure that his brother wouldn't do anything stupid. If their father ever found out, they would all be as good as dead.

 

 

Chapter posted on: sept 22. 2015

 

Sorry this is so lateee! Hope you guys like it though!