First Confession

First Frost

First Confession

When Jongdae turned fifteen he had forgotten all about his curiosity. It was replaced, instead, with excitement and new feelings. He had developed a crush on one of his close friends and somehow managed to work up all of his courage to ask him out. The boy said yes.

"This is him," Jongdae smiled pulling out his phone and shuffling through his photos until he came across one of himself and two other people.

"The tall one?" Minseok asked, mostly uninterested, "He looks like an elf."

"No, no, no," Jongdae chuckled, "That one is Chanyeol. This one is Baekhyun." He said pointing happily.

"He's wearing a lot of eyeliner."

"He looks good in it."

"Aren't you a little too young to be dating?" Minseok asked laying back rigidly on the frost covered ground.

"No," Jongdae defended, "Baekhyun and are in love."

Minseok clucked his tongue, "You're just a child, Jongdae, you don't know what love is."

"And do you?" Jongdae spat.

"I-"

Minseok thought about this. For years he had roamed the earth, covering everything in frost to prepare for winter. Through all these years he had witnessed couples meeting, falling in love and getting married. However, not once had he ever experienced it himself. No one had ever seen him before...

Silence fell over them.

"That's what I thought," Jongdae grinned in victory when Minseok couldn't come up with an answer.

Minseok felt a weird pang of jealousy in his heart and stood up from the ground. He pulled his scarf close around his neck and shoved his hands in his pockets before walking across the pond, the water freezing under each footstep he took.

"Where are you going!?" Jongdae called after him.

"I have work to do," Minseok mumbled behind the wool of his black scarf, "I'll see you next year, maybe."

Jongdae frowned as he watched Minseok's back fade into the blustery air.

❅❅❅

Minseok wasn't sure why, but whenever he saw a couple together he looked away in annoyance. A woman and a man linking arms slipped on a patch of ice behind him. Two girls holding hands had to let go due to a sudden drop in temperature. He walked away with their complaints of the bitter weather weighing heavily on his mind.

Though, nothing could compare to the heavy feeling weighing on his heart.

❅❅❅

When Jongdae turned sixteen, Minseok arrived early. He was holding a small ice sculpture he'd carved along the way. It was of a snowflake and he hoped it would be a good enough apology to the boy for leaving so rudely last time. He was still unable to piece together why he had felt that way.

As he came up towards the pond, Minseok stopped in his tracks. The snowflake sculpture fell from his grasp and smashed on the ground.

The awful feeling came back to Minseok and he fled in a gust of wind that twirled around the two boys tangled on the ground. Their whispered words causing tears to prick in the man's eyes.

❅❅❅

When Jongdae turned sixteen, he had almost completely forgotten about Minseok.

It was a cold day when Baekhyun decided to come over for a surprise visit. Today marked their one year anniversary.

They faced each other, eyes shyly meeting and then flickering away in embarrassment. Baekhyun reached out and took Jongdae's hands in his, linking their fingers and squeezing them gently. Jongdae stared at him in anticipation, his tongue poking out to at his lips that were drying out from the cold.

Baekhyun's cheeks were turning red, Jongdae couldn't tell if it was from the freezing air or if it was from timidity. Perhaps both. He watched as Baekhyun took a small step forward and his own lips.

"Jongdae," Baekhyun whispered quietly, "Can I kiss you?"

The boy had to bite his bottom lip to keep himself from saying 'I don't know, can you?' and ruining the moment. Instead, he nodded slowly.

One of Baekhyun's hands came up to caress Jongdae's cheek causing the boy to flinch from the warmth. Baekhyun swallowed hard before letting his thumb trace over Jongdae's bottom lip, his mouth gently parting at the touch. A shiver ran down his spine from the tender touches. Baekhyun's breath hitched as he gently brushed his lips over Jongdae's.

It was soft, small and sweet.

He did it again.

And again.

And again.

Until Jongdae grew tired of modest pecks and pressed his lips against Baekhyun's a little harder. Baekhyun groaned and pulled Jongdae to his body, arms drawing him nearer and tighter to his own chest. Jongdae groaned then too, slipping his tongue into Baekhyun's mouth eagerly.

Both boys gasped at the sudden sensation of the deepening kiss and they stumbled backwards until Jongdae was on top of Baekhyun and they were lying on the hard ground. They parted quickly and began giggling at the position they had found themselves in. Baekhyun reached up and gently threaded his fingers through Jongdae's hair.

"Am I your first kiss, Jongdae?"

He thought about this for a moment and smiled meekly, "I think so."

"You're mine too."

Neither of them seemed to hear the smashing of ice in the distance.

And neither of them seemed to notice the sudden chill in the air as they drew closer to one another.

❅❅❅

When Baekhyun finally left, Jongdae stumbled in the darkness of the night in the general direction of his house. As he walked, something glittering on the ground caught his eye. He stopped and squinted at it, focused on the way the moonlight made it gleam.

He bent over and picked up small shards of ice that melted in his hands. The pieces, when he hastily arranged them, seemed to form a snowflake pattern that he thought looked familiar. He quickly dropped the pieces, the feeling in his hands deadening due to the severe cold.

❅❅❅

Shortly after Jongdae's seventeenth birthday, he and Baekhyun parted ways. The feeling of such heartbreak tore him up on the inside, ripped him in two. There was, unfortunately, nothing he could do about it. Their relationship seemed to have hit it's end when Chanyeol confessed his undying love for Baekhyun one night while drunk at a party. Baekhyun, also drunk, had kissed him.

Jongdae cried into his pillow. Chen - the stuffed toy - flopped over on the bed as he shifted to his side, tears running down his face. A cold wind rustled through his curtains and gently swept over his face, the tears drying against his skin. The feeling of it brought an easiness to Jongdae and he fell asleep clutching his pillow.

The breeze turned its course suddenly, from inside Jongdae's room to the outdoors. The window slammed shut with the wind. A frosty snowflake formed on the glass.

❅❅❅

Minseok watched from the outside, peering into the window. Jongdae was crying and there were heavy tears rolling down his cheeks. It hurt him to see the boy like this, crying and broken. He wanted to make him feel better somehow.

With a flick of his wrist, a gust of wind twirled around him and pushed past the boy's window, breathing life into the room. The boy shivered against the cool air as it dried his tears. Another flick of Minseok's wrist and a gust ruffled through Jongdae's hair softly, lulling him to sleep. The man watched as the boy drifted into a peaceful slumber and smiled, letting out a faint sigh.

He waved his hand, motioning towards himself. The wind changed direction, coming from inside Jongdae’s room, and approached Minseok. As the slight disturbance lifted through the air, it gently caught a hold of the boy’s window and closed it tight, the latch falling into place. Jongdae didn’t stir once, he never even noticed.

As Minseok turned to walk away, he decided to try reaching out to Jongdae once more. The only person who could see him… If only he would remember. He smiled sadly to himself as he vanished into the coldness of the night. A frosty snowflake formed on the glass of Jongdae’s window in his wake.

❅❅❅

“You’re late,” Jongdae smiled as he felt ice gliding against his fingers that rested on a wooden bench.

Minseok sat beside him, “I’m never late. I’m exactly on time.”

Jongdae had turned eighteen. He wore the snowflake pendant that was hidden away in a box in his closet. It looked oddly similar to the one that had formed on his window last year.

The boy chuckled and turned finally to look at the man next to him, “How’s work?”

“Good,” Minseok smiled, “How’s school?”

“Graduated with honours,” Jongdae said proudly, “I’m in university now.”

Minseok turned his gaze from the chilled pond and looked to Jongdae, a huge smile forming on his face, “I’m so proud of you.”

“I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be.”

“I didn’t mean to cut you out, I was so caught up in everything…”

“It’s okay,” Minseok smiled warmly, “I’m glad you’re thinking of me now.”

“I always did, Minseok.” Jongdae whispered, “I always thought about you… I missed you.”

Silence befell them as they stared at one another. Jongdae slowly lost himself in the blue eyes watching him. He had grown up waiting for this man every single day of his life. Seeing him, being with him, it was always so exciting and well worth the wait. He didn’t know why it was that he shut him out for so long - this man was the only thing that was constant in his life. The only thing that kept him grounded and happy. Jongdae’s fingers twitched and his pulse hit new heights, the words he had been waiting to say all year bubbling on the tip of his tongue, ready to spill out at any moment.

“Minseok,” Jongdae hardly breathed, “May I kiss you?”

Minseok’s breath hitched.

Jongdae took a deep breath and reached for Minseok’s hand, his fingers brushing over icy, pale skin, “Because, I really want to kiss you.”

Minseok gulped and turned his eyes away from the boy, “You’re just a child, Jongdae.” he muttered through his teeth.

Jongdae’s face flushed at the rejection he hadn’t been expecting. An awful feeling welled in the pit of his stomach. It hurt to be turned down like this, by the man he had grown to love over the years. He bit his bottom lip hoping to keep his tears from falling, but they still formed in the corners of his eyes. Minseok had always been there for him, he’d thought that he felt the same way… He’d thought that he kept coming back because they were in love… So he thought.

You’re just a child.

Those words stung him deep. He wasn’t a child. He was now eighteen years old. He was an adult now. And he was going to prove it.

“I’m not a kid anymore, Minseok!” he yelled as the tears spilled down his cheeks, “Stop treating me like the little boy you saved twelve years ago!”

Minseok blinked and observed Jongdae intently. Something felt funny in his chest, something he couldn’t explain. It was a warmth spreading undeniably through his system at the sight of the young man before him. Jongdae was definitely not the same child he’d had to pull out of the icy waters many years ago. He had aged, Minseok watching him closely as he grew into a man. Minseok studied his features; sharp cheekbones had formed nicely, his lips still the same bow-shape, but now much more tempting, and his face had matured handsomely. He was not a child. And he definitely didn’t need Minseok looking out for him anymore. He needed Minseok in a different way now. The same way Minseok had always needed him.

There was a pause in the wind, as if it was holding its breath, waiting for the moment that Minseok would pull Jongdae into his chest and kiss him, hard. The wind swirled about the two as their lips met in a passionate kiss, one that they had both waited to share for far too long. The way Minseok tangled his hand into the hair on the back of Jongdae’s head and used his other hand to pull him closer at the waist made Jongdae melt into the frosty kiss. This was everything he’d ever dreamed of.

Jongdae pulled back at a loss for breath and lips numbing under Minseok’s icy touch. The words that had been running through his mind for all these years finally made themselves clear in a breathy whisper against Minseok’s lips, “I love you.”

The words hung heavy in the air and made Minseok’s heart flutter.

Minseok breathed hard, eyes closed, forehead pressed to Jongdae’s and breath puffing across his lips, “We can’t be together.”

“Why?” Jongdae asked, tightening his grip on Minseok’s hands, unwilling to let go, “Why?” he asked again, desperately, voice cracking.

“I’m not human.”

“Then why did you come to me? Why did you keep coming back to see me? If you knew, then why?” Jongdae asked, fingers lacing into Minseok’s - they fit perfectly together, “Why did you make me fall in love?”

“Because I fell in love too.”

Minseok’s whispered words echoed in Jongdae’s mind as the cold breeze took the man from his grasp.

“Please,” Jongdae gasped into the bleak air, “Please come back…”

The wind howled in response.


Wow I'm sorry this story is so lame, please forigve me lol One more update and you're free to find some real quality stories to read ^^ ~ /whispers/ thank you for sticking around to read this though! I appreciate it!