Faint Heart

Dear Future Husband (under construction)

Coldness greeted Jung kook senses once he woke up. If not for the thick comforter he would be shaking as if he’s in Antarctica. A wave of nauseous suddenly hit him. Abruptly sitting up on his bed, he jumped onto his foot and lunged towards a bin near his study table. He opened his mouth, ready to empty his stomach out. Obviously nothing came out, since he still hasn’t had his breakfast yet.

 

As he was trying to vomit, something cold was pressing itself on Jung kook’s left side. Quietly he side eyed his study table. Jung kook tensed and his blood chilled in an instant.

 

Hand. Pair of bloody hand to be exact was trying to tug his left arm. Baffled, he blinked both his eyes for few times he fixed his gaze back onto the hand. It’s not there. Acting brave, Jung kook bend and stare the underside of the study table. Nothing.

 

 He was beyond confused. Jung kook was perplexed to begin with. Feeling not-so-good, he sat on his bed again.

 

How can it vanish like that? I saw it!

 

He slapped himself, just to confirm that he’s awake. While Jung kook was busy debating inside his brain, Madam Deyne pushed open the door. “Good morning Jung kook! Wide awake I see. Did you sleep well?”

 

Only then Jung kook noticed that he was on a bed, and his checkered shirt along with his blue jeans was replaced by a yellow pajama. He scurried out from the bed. Every night before he went to bed, he remembered that the older boys from his dorm would always talk about how scary a family could be if they wake up first before their foster child.

 

Jung kook remembered they said that the parents might not feed him or even worse, beat him up and locked him away. The little child was trembling by then; he did a 90 degree bow. Madam Deyne’s eyes widened. “Jung kook what’s wrong?”

 

“I’m sorry that I over slept Madam Deyne. Please don’t beat me, I promise it won’t happen again. I’m so sorry!”

 

Madam Deyne giggled and broke out into fit of laughter. “Oh my Jung kook!” she clutched her stomach. After a few moments her laugh died down and she wipes the prickling tears away. “Goodness, Jung kook I hardly remember when the last time I laughed THIS hard was.”

 

The boy in pajama was dumbfounded. Maybe not all foster parents are bad like the hyungs described.

 

“Jung kook,” Madam Deyne helped him to get on his footing back. “It’s alright if you over slept. I don’t mind. Plus, we had a very long journey last night,” she pecked his forehead, pulled back and stared lovingly into Jung kook’s orbs. “I took you in to accompany me, Jung kook. I’m a lonely old woman who had no one to attend her. So, it’s alright if you act like a reckless kid because it will make me feel as if I had a connection with you.

 

And Jung kook, do call me Granny after this okay?” One last peck and she stood up. “Go fresh up yourself. Bathroom is right next door. I’ll be waiting in the kitchen.”

 

The young boy was left dumbfounded. But deep down a sense of relief washed over him. Though he can’t really express what was it. Tossing all questions aside, he did as Madam- I mean, Granny, instructed him.

 

                                                           

 

It was precisely a week since Jung kook was adopted. During all those days behind, Jung kook learned that Madam Deyne or Granny lived alone in her cozy two-storey cottage almost 8 years. Her husband passed away just after they were married for 4 years. It had been a big blow out for her.

 

Being a good kid he was, Jung kook listened to all Granny’s stories. Noting how her face would change from time to time. A frown was evident if she’s talking about something serious and never did Jung kook failed to notice that twinkle every time Granny mentioned about her late husband.

 

And throughout the week living with Granny, Jung kook must admit that he’s okay with her. First few days were awkward for both of them. Especially Granny, because every time she tried to converse, Jung kook would always shut her down. In a polite way though. So in the end, Jung kook also played his card. He doesn’t want Granny sad because of his lack of response.

 

One day, Granny went out to town to do something. Jung kook was having his nap, so Granny didn’t wake him up. She left a note on Jung kook’s study table saying; Jung kook I’m off to town. Be back before night. You can reheat our yesterday’s dinner, it’s in the fridge. Don’t go outside and don’t open the door if anyone comes over. Stay safe.

 

Honestly Jung kook would rather follow Granny. Ever since the ‘hand’ incident, he was quite shaken up. He never told it to Granny though. Worried that he might gave the poor old woman a heart-attack. He did ask Granny about the house though.

 

“Granny, you had lived in this house for a pretty long time right?” Jung kook asked one night. They were on the couch. Hot choc in each other’s grasped. Granny nod absentmindedly. She was focusing on whatever drama that was playing right now.

 

Jung kook can’t help it but to ask more. “Do you… urm, how do I put this?”

 

His voice goes an octave lower. He’s nervous to ask Granny about it, without making her worry. The older woman sensed something was up. “What is it Jung kook? Is there something bothering you?” The said boy looked up and nodded. He’s still uncertain with his own idea but better safe than sorry.

 

“I just wanna ask if you had encountered with anything strange for as long as you have been living here.”

 

“Anything strange?” Granny furrows her brows. “I don’t think there’s one. Except…” she paused and Jung kook anxiously waits. Granny was thinking very deeply as if she’s digging up back all her memories. She shrugged, “Well, this is indeed an old house Jung kook, so if you encountered with something strange like rat or so, it’s normal. I’m sorry if any of the pests scared you, boy!” she patted the confused boy on the back and proceeds back to her drama.

 

 ‘Rat? But that bloody thing I saw was definitely not a RAT!’ Afterwards, he decided to drop the subject because Granny don’t seems to like it much either.

 

 

 

And now today, he’s alone inside this house. “God, Granny could have just waked me up.” Pacing back and forth inside his room, his imagination started to crawl along his nerves. He didn’t even bat an eye-lash at his study table- afraid that there might be pair of bloodied hand dangling on top of it.

 

‘Or maybe a rat’ he mentally snickered. Heaving a deep breath, he went downstairs to kill some time with TV shows. The walk from his room towards the living room felt too long for his likings. Eerie silence had corrupted all inches of the house. It was deafening because Jung kook clearly heard the rustle of leaves outside. ‘A storm is coming’ he mental noted and the sky outside grumbled.

 

Getting himself comfortable on the couch, he reached over for the remote on top of the coffee table. Since it was Wednesday, nothing great was being played and Jung kook thought that flicking through channels was much entertaining. The TV’s digital clock changed from 3pm to 5pm.

 

Jung kook’s eyelid started to get heavy. His growling stomach won’t let him dozed off though. He skipped his lunch and now he’s ready to gobble down a whole refrigerator. Stretching, Jung kook made his way to the kitchen. He head straight for the refrigerator and took out yesterday’s left-over; seafood risotto.

 

If not for the wall clock that was hanging above the microwave, Jung kook would’ve thought it’s past midnight already. The outside was totally wrapped in darkness. Winds whooshing from every corner outside and shook up all available trees. It’s quarter past 5 and as Jung kook the microwave, he’s getting restless.

 

“Granny said she’ll be back before night. Well, literally storm is bringing the night earlier today.”

 

The agitated boy waits for his risotto to finish impatiently. He tried hard not to face the sink, because Granny’s sink got a square window that showed her backyard. It’s not that wide but it showed half of the yard. Bushes and pine trees located at far end of Granny’s yard scared Jung kook the most. It was as if there are thousands of monsters lurking there. Waiting to come and get Jung kook and Granny inside the house.

 

Jung kook glanced at the microwave’s digital timer. It reads 4 minutes to go. To get over his own fear, Jung kook tried to sing. It helps every time he’s scared or worries over something. Deep breath…

 

And God, tell us the reason youth is wasted on the young

 

It’s hunting season and the lambs are on the run

 

Searching for meaning

 

But are we all lost stars tryin to light up the dark?

 

A lightning flashed from the window. Jung kook flinched but didn’t stop his singing. He’s not going to let the fear consumed him.

 

Who are we?

 

Just a speck of dust within the galaxy?

 

Woe is me

 

If we’re not careful turns into reality

 

This time, another lightning flashed accompanied by a loud roaring thunder. That roar might made the house went blackout but unfortunately, not. If it happened, Jung kook might just hide inside the cupboard until Granny’s home. The said boy flinched and let out a loud gasp.

 

You see, the worse thing had just begun actually. KNOCK KNOCK! KNOCK KNOCK! Loud knocking that came from the window. Every single fiber, nerves, everything inside a body belongs to Jeon Jung kook stiffen. He was frozen on the spot and can’t help but to stare at the microwave. He’s reheated risotto was long forgotten. He doesn’t think food would be his top priority at the moment.

 

The knocking continued for few moment and poor trembling boy still can’t move. It then rained. Not so friendly rain he must say. After the knocking died down, Jung kook willed his trembling heart to peak at the window.

 

Slowly, he pushed his heels around. There behind the wet window, stood a figure. He can’t properly lined out if it’s a man or woman. The only sound Jung kook could pick up at the moment was only the deafening rain and harsh puffed of breaths- that he don’t know coming from himself or the creepy silhouette.

 

And another thing that wouldn’t leave his mind for quite a time. A bloody palm. A palm coated with fresh blood was rested on one of the mirror. Jung kook’s feet were turning into a jelly at the moment. He grabbed onto the dining table for a better support. He felt light headed and everything seemed distant to him.

 

He saw a bloody message on the mirror- faintly written. WISH SOUL STARS. The only thing he remembered before passing in the middle of the dining room.

 

“Wish before it’s too late. Save yourself before it’s too late.”

 

 

 

A/N- obviously it's a failed attempt from me to write a mystery genre. pardon me, and enjoy your stay. xD