Issue no. 12

The Monarch Times

The next morning at Junmyeon’s house was an interesting one to say the absolute least. When Jongdae woke up, he couldn’t for the life of him figure out why he was unable to sit up, until he blinked into the light and realized that it was because Yixing’s limbs were sprawled over him. It was about that time he also realized the position they were in and remembered what happened last night…

“Yixing…” Jongdae whispered, squirming in his grasp.

“Jongdae,” Yixing groaned and pulled the younger closer to his chest (who immediately smiled at the warmth), “Sleep,” he whispered kissing his head, still mostly asleep by the sound of his scratchy voice.

“Yixing-hyung,” Jongdae said a little louder, “Wake up.”

“Why?” He whined and opened his eyes to stare dazed at Jongdae’s face. As his vision came into focus, he grinned at the sight of Jongdae, but then his face flushed with embarrassment at their compromising position.

“Hyung,” Jongdae mumbled, “Last night…”

“Do you regret it?” Yixing sounded dejected and mildly humiliated as he posed the question - he was worried that maybe Jongdae was having second thoughts, worried that he -

“No!” Jongdae blurted, “I really… It was amazing, hyung, you’re amazing. I just…” he took a deep breath. He had wanted to ask Yixing so many questions last night when he came into the room, but those had all been pushed aside in favor of making up with each other.

Yixing brushed Jongdae’s bangs from his eyes and let his hand rest on the side of his face as they stared at each other, still tangled in the sheets, “Tell me, Dae,”

“Do you still like Junmyeon-hyung?” Jongdae hiccuped and the words were so rushed he thought for sure he’d have to repeat himself, but to his surprise, Yixing understood him.

“No, Jongdae,” Yixing sighed, “I thought, last night - I was upset because I was reminded of an old crush… And he never knew, I was embarrassed. I was just - Listen,” he took a deep breath and looked Jongdae directly in the eye as he let his fingers card through the boy’s locks, “I spent a good few hours sulking by myself outside and thinking about my feelings. Clearing my mind. When I thought about it, I was hurt that Junmyeon had never noticed me or realized how I had felt during the past. But while I was sitting all alone, I couldn’t help but let my thoughts wander to you and wanting you to be there to comfort me… You’re a source of comfort for me, Jongdae. You’re my source of happiness and I don’t want to lose that. I don’t want to lose you.

Oh.

OH.

Jongdae was a bit stupefied by the words, but the way his heart fluttered when Yixing looked at him so seriously like this and spoke with only sincerity made him forget that he was ever doubting him in the first place. All he could think was that he never wanted this feeling to go away. He didn’t respond to anything that Yixing said, not with words anyway. He was eager in pressing his lips against the elder’s and showing him instead. ‘I don’t want to lose you either, I love you.’ The words were felt through the sweet kisses, tender touches and soft noises under the covers.

✐✐✐

It was May, finally. This month, the school was busily preparing for the musical production of ‘The Outsiders.’ According to the theatre arts teacher, he had been working rather enthusiastically on a musical version for the novel ever since he’d read it several years ago. He was definitely excited, and so were a lot of the boys. Why? Oh, because the school had connected with another one to enlist some more people to be in the musical - a private school for girls.

The parts for the girls were not entirely important, but still necessary to execute the perfect production. Mr. Jung, the theatre arts teacher, strived for that perfection. The buzz was that the lead acting male would get to kiss one of the female students and most of them were excited over this. Most of them except for the leading male.

“I don’t want to do it,” the student, Chen, groaned in annoyance.

Jongdae, being close friends with Chen in their theatre class, had listened to him complain about it for months now. It was starting to annoy him that he had to do this.

“Look,” Jongdae rolled his eyes, “It’s no big deal. It’s just a kiss.”

Chen gave him a look that said otherwise, “I’m not interested.”

“Why? Haven’t you kissed someone before?” Jongdae teased as they found a spot to sit outside in the light spring breeze.

The flushing of Chen’s cheeks must have been a dead giveaway.

“You haven’t?” Jongdae cocked his head to the side, “Really? But, you’re so good looking, I’d-”

“That’s enough!” Chen screeched in embarrassment, “I’ve already told you, I’m not interested in boys. No offense, you are good looking too.”

Jongdae smirked, “Of course I am.”

“What are you two talking about?” Baekhyun asked as he joined the duo sitting at a picnic table. Chanyeol was quick to follow in a few long strides.

“Chen thinks I’m hot,” Jongdae grinned.

“I did not say that!” Chen yelled, “You’re the worst.”

“Likewise, friend.”

Chanyeol snorted, “No, really, what are you two talking about? I haven’t seen Chen’s face this red since,” he considered for a moment and then realized he’d never seen Chen’s face this red, “Actually…”

Chen scoffed, “Have you heard about the kiss in the musical?”

“Yeah,” Baekhyun hummed, “Seems everyone is pumped about it! I plan on taking a photograph on opening night for the front page,” he leaned closer to Chen, “You better not screw this up.”

“That’s just it,” Jongdae hummed taking a sip of his juicebox, “He’s never kissed anyone before.”

“What?!” Baekhyun squeaked, “I’ll be your first!” he made grabby hands at Chen who frowned and pushed them away.

“Stop it!” Chen muttered, “You all .”

“We do,” Chanyeol winked and Chen nearly vomited right then and there.

Jongdae laughed, “Poor boy hasn’t even had his first kiss yet, Yeol. You’re going to give him a heart attack.”

Baekhyun shrugged, “Chanyeol hasn’t kissed many people either.”

The taller sighed, “It’s true. And it’s not as big of a deal as everyone makes it out to be.”

Chen groaned, “But this kiss is a big deal. Mr. Jung wants it to be perfect.”

“I’m sure you’ll be fine.” Jongdae insisted with a smile, “Come on, we should get ready for class,” he said grabbing Chen’s arm.

“Just know that my lip service is still available.” Baekhyun deadpanned, but it was so serious that it caused everyone (except Baekhyun) to burst out into laughter.

Baekhyun pouted as he watched Chen and Jongdae disappear together when he turned to Chanyeol, “Do you ever find that-”

“They look alike? A lot alike.”

“Weird.”

“Ah!” Chanyeol shouted standing suddenly, “I have an idea!”

Baekhyun grumbled, “That’s a first.”

Chanyeol smacked his friend upside the head before grumbling something about finding Sehun, ‘because he’ll actually listen to me, unlike you.’

✐✐✐

It was a lazy afternoon in the club room. Probably because Junmyeon was the only one in it and he was taking a well deserved nap, but it was lazy nonetheless. It wasn’t until Yixing came through the door and quietly sat across from him, accidentally knocking over a stack of books in the process, did the elder stir from his sleep. He blinked in confusion and stared at Yixing with tears in the corners of his eyes as he stretched and yawned.

“What time is it?” Junmyeon grumbled, rubbing at his eyes.

“Only maybe 3 pm.” Yixing said, scratching the back of his awkwardly. The two hadn’t been alone together since before Yixing blurted out that he had been in love with him once before. Even though he didn’t feel the same way anymore, it was still… uncomfortable.

Junmyeon swallowed hard, “So, how are you and Jongdae?”

“We’re great,” Yixing blushed as the memory of their last night and morning spent on vacation flashed through his mind, “Really great.” he added after the initial reddening of his face.

“Look, I’m sorry Yixing, I’m so sorry. If I had know that you liked me… Loved me even - If I had known… It was just that, Minseok, um-” Junmyeon stumbled over his words as he tried to form a coherent thought.

Yixing put up his hand, “I get it, hyung. You never noticed me, because you always had your eyes on Minseok. It’s okay. I’ve moved on. Jongdae,” he smiled as he said the name, a light shiver running over his body, “Jongdae is perfect, hyung. And I know what it really means to be in love now.” the goofy grin that spread across his lips made Junmyeon smile.

“I’m glad,” Junmyeon’s eyes sparkled with delight, “Seeing you two together makes me happy. Makes me believe in love.”

Yixing laughed, “Yuck, this is too mushy, hyung.”

Junmyeon chuckled, “I know. Ew. Hey, I had this idea, that could be fun, if you want. Would you and Jongdae maybe like to go on a double date sometime?”

“I’d love to!” Yixing grinned happily, being able to speak like this with Junmyeon again was so nice. He didn’t want to lose this friendship and he was glad past feelings weren’t getting in the way. They were, after all, best friends.

Junmyeon leaned back in his chair becoming serious all too suddenly, startling Yixing from his dreamy thoughts, “I do, however, have a very important matter to talk to you about.”

“Mhm?”

“Your program,” Junmyeon began and Yixing gulped, “It only allows students up to three years of overseas learning, correct?”

Yixing nodded, “You already know that, hyung…”

“This is your third year, Yixing.” Junmyeon tapped his fingers on the tabletop, “When are you going to tell him about it?”

Yixing nearly choked on his spit, “H-Hyung, I don’t know… I don’t want to think about it…”

“You have to tell him eventually,” Junmyeon sighed and reached over to pat the younger’s shaking hands, “You can’t pretend like this isn't your last year here, Yixing.”

“I don’t want to leave,” he whispered, “I want to stay here with Jongdae, with you, with everyone…” tears brimmed in his eyes, “J-Junmyeon-hyung, what do I do?”

“Tell him the truth,” Junmyeon smiled sympathetically, “He deserves to know.”

Yixing nodded and dabbed at his eyes with his sleeves, “You’re right, hyung, I have to tell him,” he sniffled, “I have to…”

“Tell who what?” Minseok asked entering the room, he was surprised to see Yixing crying, “Are you alright?”

“I’m okay…” He sighed sadly.

“He hasn’t told Jongdae about leaving yet,” Junmyeon frowned.

“Oh,” Minseok bit his bottom lip, “Yeah, I can see how this would be a problem… When are you going to tell him?”

“I don’t know,” Yixing’s shoulders drooped and his face fell, “I don’t know…” he said again, voice cracking.

“Don’t worry, Yixing,” Junmyeon smiled, “Jongdae loves you, really loves you. Everyone can see that. He’ll understand, I’m sure.”

Yixing nodded, “You’re right,” he smiled to himself, Jongdae’s face flashing through his mind and making his heart swell. The underlying pain of having to leave soon was still there, but he loved Jongdae and Jongdae loved him. And in that moment, that was all that seemed to matter.

✐✐✐

“I had this great idea,” Chanyeol grinned happily.

Chen snorted, “You always have great ideas.” he said sarcastically.

“No,” Baekhyun shook his head, “This one is actually not half bad.”

“What? Really?” Jongdae raised a disbelieving eyebrow, “Are you sure?”

“Honestly, it’s not bad,” Baekhyun shrugged.

“What is it then?” Chen asked tapping his foot in impatience, “I have to go to practice soon.”

“Okay, so you know how you look a lot like Jongdae?” Chanyeol beamed.

“No?” both Jongdae and Chen said at the same time. They looked each other up and down and then realized, “Okay, maybe.” they said again.

“So creepy…” Baekhyun whispered under his breath.

“I thought, why don’t you just switch out for the kiss scene?” Chanyeol’s eyes sparkled as if he were an absolute genius.

“That - uh - actually,” Chen cleared his throat and looked back at Jongdae, “That might work.”

Jongdae blinked in awe, “Wow, Yeol, I never thought you had it in you.”

Baekhyun laughed, “I said the same thing!”

Chanyeol groaned, “Guys, please, I’m not as stupid as you all make me out to be.”

“I don’t mind doing it, if you want to?” Jongdae smiled, patting Chen’s shoulder.

“Alright,” Chen coughed, “Well, Dae, why don’t you come by my house and we’ll talk it over? We can definitely make the switch without even Mr. Jung knowing.”

“Sounds great!” Jongdae mused, he was finally going to get to perform in the musical that he’d dreamed of since he started at the high school.

✐✐✐

“Yixing!” Jongdae giggled as he found his boyfriend sitting under a tree in the school’s courtyard. “Yixing-hyung! I’m going to be in the musical!”

Yixing looked up and smiled warily at the younger, “You are, Dae? I’m so proud.” his tone of voice said otherwise.

“Are you alright, hyung?” Jongdae asked sitting next to him, a frown taking it’s place on his face, “You look kind of down… Are you sick?”

“No,” Yixing chuckled quietly, “I’m fine,” he smiled gently, “So, the school’s musical, huh?”

Jongdae nodded, “Chen doesn’t want to do the kiss scene, so we’re switching out so I can do it.”

Yixing pouted, “What? A kiss scene?”

“Yeah,” Jongdae blushed, “Just with some girl. I’ll be thinking about you the whole time.”

“I hope not,” Yixing laughed, “Things might get too steamy.”

“Hyung!” Jongdae gasped, but laughed.

Yixing cleared his throat once a silence had settled over them and Jongdae’s hand had found his, “You know that I love you, right?”

“Mhm.”

“More than anything.”

“I know, hyung, I love you too.”

“Dae,” Yixing cupped the boy’s face in his hands and kissed him hard, a kiss that said ‘I need you by my side, I never want to let you go, you are my everything, I will always love you.’

“What was that for, Yiyi?” Jongdae breathed still dazed from the kiss when the elder (blushing at the nickname that the younger rarely used) pulled away.

“I don’t know,” Yixing’s heart was racing, “I just really want to kiss you all the time.”

“Yixing,” Jongdae’s face turned a deeper shade of red, “You’re so embarrassing, hyung.”

Yixing laughed and pulled Jongdae to his chest, “You make me feel things, it’s your fault.”

Jongdae laughed too, completely unaware of the heaviness weighing on the elder’s heart as he cuddled into the warm embrace. Yixing held Jongdae closer, hands running all over his body, trying to memorize the heat and the curves for when he couldn’t hold him anymore. Tears filled his eyes, but he blinked them away so that he could keep Jongdae in his arms just a little longer.

✐✐✐

“Jongdae-hyung!” Sehun beamed as he joined everyone in the club room after school the next day.

“Afternoon, Sehunnie.” Baekhyun giggled.

“Hey Sehun.” Jongdae smiled.

“I heard you’re going to be in the musical from Chen?” Sehun asked as he sat down across from the elder, “Would you like to help me run over some lines?”

“Oh,” Yixing tilted his head to the side, “I almost forgot you’re in the musical.”

“He is?” Chanyeol asked suddenly interested.

“Yes, hyung,” Sehun blushed as he looked at Chanyeol, “I’m playing Sodapop. Will you come watch on opening night?”

“I don’t have a choice,” Chanyeol grumbled looking away to avoid anyone noticing the pink crawling onto his face, “I’m writing the article for the front page…”

“Oh, well,” Sehun’s grin faltered just slightly as he looked back at Jongdae, “I was wondering, hyung, if you would run lines with me if you’re free tonight?”

“I wouldn’t mind-”

“He can’t,” Junmyeon cut in, “We’re going on a date tonight.”

“Uh, hyung?” Jongdae looked confused.

“I meant we’re going on a double date! Me and Minseok with Yixing and Jongdae.”

“Since when?” Minseok asked curiously.

“Never you mind,” Junmyeon cleared his throat, “Yixing and I thought it would be a good idea.”

Yixing looked up from his phone, “We’re doing that tonight?” Junmyeon gave him a sort of look that told him to just agree and then then younger cleared his throat, “Oh yes, of course. I’d almost forgotten.”

“That’s alright,” Sehun nodded, “Enjoy your date! I’m sure someone else will help with my lines. We can practice together some other night, right?”

Jongdae nodded with a pleasant smile, “Of course.”

“Chanyeol-hyung, would you-”

“No,” Chanyeol cut him off and stood quickly.

“Oh, are you busy or…?”

“I just don’t want to.” He said before leaving the room.

“Oh…” Sehun frowned, “O-Okay…”

“Don’t worry!” Baekhyun giggled, “I’ll help you, Sehunnie!”

“Thanks, hyung…” Sehun tried to smile, but his voice sounded dejected.

✐✐✐

The stage at Monarch High School was absolutely huge. It was intimidating to Jongdae as he stepped out onto the black stage, looking out at the hundreds of empty seats, the rows seemingly stretching on forever. He gulped and stood center stage, a small smile playing on his lips as he imagined an entire audience applauding his voice and, maybe, Yixing’s guitar… His heart pace increased at the thought of a duet with his hyung, but he was pulled from his dreaming when Chen spoke.

“So, the left-hand stage is where the kiss takes place.” Chen pointed as he walked to the side, “You’ll stand here with Krystal - she’s playing Cherry - and you’ll sing that mini duet that Mr. Jung has planned with her. The kiss will be very quick, I promise. Right after the song, the fight between the Greasers and the Socs start.”

“So, getting off stage is the problem then…” Jongdae huffed, “You know, I don’t get it, there was never a kiss scene between Ponyboy and Cherry in the novel.”

“Or the movie for that matter,” Chen shrugged, “Mr. Jung wants to move the dramatics a little faster by having them kiss at the drive-in theatre and making the Greasers and the Socs scrap right there. Bob is being played by Choi Siwon. He’s going to grab you by the collar and throw a fake punch. You’ll have to stumble to about mid-stage and then the fight starts.”

“So this is really just very loosely based on the book,” Jongdae noted, “It’s cool, but… Wait, what’s that?” he asked walking over to a large square in the center of the platform.

“A stage lift - oh! You’re a genius, Dae!” Chen grinned, “We can make the switch there while everyone fights! No one will notice when the lights start to dim either!”

“I know, I’m brilliant.” Jongdae winked, “Should we test it out?”

“Yeah, I’ll go arrange something with technician, one sec.”

“Make it quick, I have a date tonight!”

Chen ran off and found the tech in the booth, asking him very politely to let them test it. Moments later, his voice came over a sound system, “Okay, step on the square there now, Dae.”

Jongdae obliged, “Okay!” he shouted out loudly, his voice echoing off the walls.

There was a slight squeaking and Jongdae jolted a bit when he felt himself moving lower. He could hear the light hum of gears turning as he lowered further and further into the dark underside of the stage. Once it stopped he stumbled forward a bit, but he managed to keep his balance by bracing his hands on a beam in front of him. He looked up at the dim lighting from above and laughed - this would work.

“We’re going to bring you back up now,” that was Chen’s voice over the sound system again, albeit fainter.

There was much squealing and buzzing of gears, but the platform didn’t seem to be budging. After nearly two minutes, Jongdae began to twitch uncomfortably.

“Hold on, there seems to be some difficulties…” Chen’s voice again.

Jongdae gulped and checked the time on his phone. He was supposed to meet with Yixing in about an hour and he still hadn’t gone home to change or shower yet…

“Jongdae?” Chen was looking down over the top of the opening to the lift, “They… They can’t get it to work. But the maintenance repair guy is gone home for the night.”

“What?” Jongdae gasped, “How do I get out of here?”

Chen scratched his head, “They said they’ll send someone down with a flashlight to get you out… I’m sorry, Dae, I know you had this date thing planned, but…”

“I-It’s okay,” Jongdae shook his head, “Yixing and I can go on plenty of dates whenever we want to. I’ll just text him… Oh,” he looked at his phone, “I don’t have any service down here…”

“I’m sorry! Give me Yixing’s number and I’ll text him for you!” Chen called down and Jongdae frowned, his heart sinking deep into the pit of his stomach as he called out the numbers.

✐✐✐

Yixing was pacing nervously back and forth in his room. He was nervous for two reasons. One was that he was supposed to meet with everyone in twenty minutes, but he had still to hear from Jongdae even after he’d send endless text messages asking if he was ready, if he was okay… The other reason was that somehow Junmyeon had convinced him that this was the night to tell Jongdae that he was leaving. He was all hyped up for it, had practiced what he’d wanted to say in the mirror for hours after school… His anxiety was wearing so thin, it was on the verge of breaking.

A ping from Yixing’s phone nearly startled him out of his skin, but he grabbed it quickly hoping that maybe it was Jongdae.

Unknown Number
Hi Yixing, this is Chen. Jongdae isn’t going to be able to make it tonight, he’s stuck under the stage at the school here… And he doesn’t have any service!
[file attachment]

Yixing blinked confusedly and opened the image. There was his boyfriend smiling up goofily at him from a square in the floor. He smiled like an idiot at the sight, but his heart sank.

Me
LOL silly dongsaengs! That’s okay! ^-^ Tell him we can re-schedule.

He threw his phone onto his bed after texting Junmyeon to tell him that they wouldn’t be able to make it and flopped onto his stomach, tears pooling in his eyes. It had nothing to do with the fact that they couldn’t go out on their date, things like this happened all the time. The problem was, his stress and anxiety had finally caught up with him. He was stretched too far and couldn’t hold it back anymore.

‘I will tell him the next time I see him,’ he decided.

That was the biggest lie he had ever told himself. Weeks passed and Jongdae was busily rehearsing for the musical. Yixing couldn’t convince himself to tell him when he was supposed to be focusing on the production. He knew better than to throw off his boyfriend’s concentration with something like this.

‘I will tell him after the last showing of the musical,’ he decided while listening to Jongdae sing, ‘And I will tell him that he has a beautiful voice too.’


I super 100% promise that I have NOT forgotten about this fic! I've just been so busy with university (third year courses are really hard lol?) not that any of you care, I am so very sorry guys. Please forgive me. I'm already half way through writing the next update, so hopefully I can get that posted tomrrow if not tonight! Once again, I am so, SO sorry ;;; (also please ignore spelling mistakes, I haven't edited this...) Thank you for being so patient, you guys are the best. xoxo