Siren's Call

Veiled in Silk
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

AN: All grammer mistakes are mine...I don't have time to edit these. Do point them out if you spot them! 

I hope thise chapter is as enticing as I want to be. xx

 

~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~

 

“And that was only the beginning of the siege-”

Captain Jung tuned out the general talking about their misgivings in their latest battle with the Hoplites, instead relaxing and enjoying the feast that was prepared for them. Slaves whizzed pass, tending to the assembly, offering food and beverages. The dining hall was similar in design to the Marble Hall, just a little smaller. Whereas the White Marble Hall was a place for extravagant balls and other such elite social gatherings, the banqueting hall was more suited for the comfort of the diners.

Long cushions were filled with happy faces, boisterous conversation flitted throughout the hall. At the highest end, behind the glass wall partially covered by the finest upholstery, the Emperor reclined on his throne with the Imperial family by his side. The High Queen and first wife, BoA, sat to his right at the second highest pedestal to the Emperor himself. Next to her, the second wife, her majesty GoAra conversed with the High Prince, JongSuk. To the left of the throne, in the spot of the late third wife, sat the youngest queen and fourth wife, Lady JiHye. Next to her lounged the three youngest in the Imperial family; Princess NaRi holding the infant Prince HaNeul with Prince DongHyun to their left.

It was a sight to behold. Captain Jung had often heard about the Family, yet despite his status he had never imagined to be in this close proximity to the entire Family. This was the highest point in his life as far as he was concerned. He lived to serve the Emperor and to spread peace among their people, always proud to wear his badges and distinctly coloured uniform setting him apart from the rest; showcasing to the world his legacy and efficiency on the battlefield. What more could a humble soldier of a kingdom ask for? The people hd faith in him, his men looked up to him and the Emperor trusted him to execute the most complex plans competently. And now he was at the heart of their kingdom. As much as he loved going out on the field and battling the enemies on terrain, he was glad for this reprieve; hoping to be given an opportunity to defend the Palace. He was a man of action and the idea of residing at the palace, not getting involved with the military part of the running of the kingdom made him feel uneasy.

He hoped the Emperor had a task for him, which would explain why he was extracted from the army so abruptly.

He smiled, taking the offered goblet from the passing slaveboy, and decided to clear his thoughts of such thoughts for the time being. He was sure the Emperor would let him know soon enough. Conversation with the attendees came easily, all were interested to enquire about his exploits in the North and awed at the answers they received. It was not uncommon for men of such stature to be amazed by his tales, and so it didn’t come as a surprise to the Captain to have so such rapt attention on him once he started to converse.

It was sometime into his monologue about the strange customs of the villagers when the conversation suddenly became hushed. Not an absolute silence to break the atmosphere, but a rather substantial number of conversation became whispers and others muted completely, the slave servers all stood to one side – slightly bowing, to whom? The Captain had yet to find out, as he trained his eyes on the entrance gate. The strangest part? The majority of the men present all averted their eyes, all looking down, or resolutely training their eyes on their neighbours. It was only him, the Captain and his men - the newest to the kingdom that looke

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter