Dog Days

Dog Days

As usual, Lu Han wakes up before Jongin. No great feat. They both have morning classes, and Lu Han lives closer to campus, so it's logic that makes a routine of their weekly sleepovers.

Lu Han rolls onto his stomach and gets up on his elbows, yawning and pushing his hair from his face to stare blearily at the wall. "Jongin," he croaks, hand snaking beneath the blanket covering his boyfriend's shoulders. "C'mon, wake up." He rubs the bare skin shoulder to shoulder, pushing Jongin with gentle rocks that are more likely to keep him asleep than wake him up.

Sighing, Lu Han sits up with his back to the wall and moves his hand to Jongin's hair. It's silky from his shower last night, and the hair on his crown is cool from him sleeping on his stomach. As he's running his fingers through the soft curls, however, something beneath the blankets—near Jongin's thighs—starts to move.

It stills when Lu Han takes his hand from Jongin's head.

It moves when Lu Han pets Jongin's head.

Bizarre. Lu Han can see Jongin's feet sticking out over the end of the bed, so his legs are not moving. This leaves Lu Han's cat—who never sleeps on Lu Han's bed, much less with Jongin—or Jongin's third leg, which would be even more bizarre.

So Lu Han gets up on his knees, grabs two fistfuls of the sheet, and pulls.

Not a cat. Not a leg of any sort.

A tail, covered in brown curls and idly lying between Jongin's thighs, begins at the very base of his spine and extends outwards, thickening to a muscular appendage that twitches when Jongin mumbles and shifts in his sleep, at the sudden cold air on his .

Lu Han is floored. "This is..." bizarre, "fantastic." He's also very excited and claps his hands to his face. "Oh man, is it my birthday?" It's mid-May, a month too late. Details. "Jongin!" He pounces on his boyfriend, ravaging his head with enthusiastic scratching and ruffling that has the curly tail wagging eagerly and whacking Lu Han's hip. "Jonginjonginjonginjongin!"

Jongin rolls onto his side as his leg starts twitching, tail thumping against the mattress. It wriggles as he falls on top of it, arms stretching above him and finding Lu Han's hands.

One thing, among many things, that Lu Han loves about Jongin is how lovey he is when sleepy. Lu Han can kiss him again and again, and Jongin's too tired to be embarrassed.

It's wonderful and progressing in such a direction that Lu Han can imagine the gleam to his eyes and skip in his step once he finally makes it on campus later that morning, but as Lu Han's hands are moving down Jongin's thighs, he feels something cold against the back of his neck.

"And that," he says, bobbing his head, "is when I woke up. Man...it was like the ideal fantasy; I haven't had a dream like that in years, and you woke me up!"

Jongin, miraculously discovered that morning to be a curly-haired poodle, huffs and closes his eyes. He's not having such a great morning, either. Lu Han had pushed him off the bed and then stood awkwardly in the garden while Jongin found a secluded bush to pee on and then had to eat his breakfast off a plate on the floor.

Neither of them went to class, skipping out in favour of wondering what the hell happened and how to change it.

Not that actually Lu Han seems to consider his boyfriend's canine struggles. "Okay, so maybe it hasn't been so long. What can I say? You make me feel young." He ruffles Jongin's ears. "Truth be told, I kind of like you like this, but that time when I compared you to a dog wasn't meant to be taken literally. Now, that cosplay or whatever from my dream? I'm down for that. Totally wouldn't mind your face by my , then, you know what I'm saying?"Lu Han sits back against the window and looks down at the sidewalk. People walk their dog-dogs and enjoy the morning sunshine. The weekend is supposed to be nice. Maybe he'll grab a frisbee and take his boyfriend-dog to the park, since his original plans are foiled.

"I'll have you know I had plans for this weekend. I was going to make you howl. I had it all planned out this morning!" He lifts Jongin to eye-level. "Then you woke me up like this. What the hell am I supposed to do?" He bites his lip. "I suppose I could actually, you know, do it all myself, but it'd be weird to have you watch like this. It's bad enough when my cat's in the room. I swear he is rating my form or something..."

Jongin wriggles his little dog limbs and stretches his neck to Lu Han's chin, just to show that he empathises about the cat's lack of tact.

Lu Han's face scrunches up. He puts Jongin back on his lap and rubs his slobbered face on his shoulder. "This is weird, even for us." A yip of agreement. "I miss your hot body. Please change back soon."

Jongin sighs again and rolls onto his back. If he's stuck as a poodle, he is going to take full advantage of the copious amounts of belly rubs.

"You're enjoying this way too much," Lu Han whines. "What am I supposed to tell everyone if they ask about you?"

Not Jongin's problem. His hind foot kicks the air as Lu Han scratches just below his ribcage.

He could actually get used to this.