Fleeting

Chasing You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chasing You

Chapter Nineteen

Fleeting

“Why?” Her chin trembled at the steady pulse of his heartbeat beneath her fingertips. For a second, she wondered if he knew how rapidly his heart was beating.

 

“Because it’s cold,” he said. “If you plan on going outside in the winter, then naturally you’d need a coat. Without one, you’ll freeze to death.”

 

Somehow, Ah Reum seemed to understand what he said even though he didn’t explain what it meant. She felt guilty for doing this. “Even without one, it’s likely that I would freeze.”

 

“How come?”

 

“When winter ends, spring begins,” she started, “Just like that, the seasons pass by. And without realizing it–winter comes again–even though my heart hasn’t thawed yet.”

 

Yixing patted her back daintily, fearing that he’d break her. Ah Reum was just too fragile. “Then, pay attention to something else,” he suggested. “You’re too focused on waiting for winter that you don’t realize that there are other seasons out there. Instead of hiding in the shade; bask in the sun and enjoy your life.”

 

“I am, aren’t I?”

 

“Yes,” he mocked.

 

She pulled away and crossed her arms in the process. He stared at her blankly as she tilted her head like she was speculating something. She pursed her lips as if she were in a daze, and completely forgot about the boy standing in front of her.

 

“What are you thinking so hard to think about?” He finally asked.

 

“You,” she said rather bluntly.

 

He looked away and hid his face from her curious eyes. He definitely did not want her to see him like that. The thought of her finally looking his way made his heart beat even faster, but he remembered what he said a few minutes ago, and that thought quickly faded away. He yearned for Ah Reum to feel even the slightest bit of attraction for him, but he did not want to force her. And most of all, he did not want to get his own hopes up.

 

“When I come up with my answer…” she whispered, “I’ll tell you.”

 

He simply nodded as she her heel and walked back to the where their friends were sitting. He watched as she stopped midway after seeing Sehun wrap his arms around Da Eun; how weak and helpless she looked as others passed by her and looked at her strangely. Due to that, he noticed how broken she really is.

 

After four minutes of observing her, he too headed over there. He patted her shoulder and nudged her to follow as he walked ahead of her. He didn’t see how fast the look on her face changed, but he’d be lying if he said that he wasn’t worried about her.

 

 

When dinner was finished, the group went out to the shore to have a bonfire. They had the whole day to themselves so they might as well do everything they could think of. They girls surrounded the fire while the boys made their own because girl talk was making them sick already, but they could hear audibly what they were talking about. The all-out tonight was Da Eun with her never-ending stories about art, math, school, and boys. Surprisingly, Da Eun was getting along with the girls even with Ah Reum. They were listening to her and she was listening to them. Besides all of that, Da Eun had a good sense of humor that was not hard to notice. She had comments on everything which sometimes sounded innocently stupid or full of sense.

 

They were thinking that she was jealous, but she was not. Ah Reum just felt envious of her for taking all of Sehun’s time to the point of him not even listening to how her day went with her father. Now, Ah Reum was fine with Da Eun because the girl was showing nothing but kindness. The girl that Sehun liked was just in front of her, being amazing, and Ah Reum could not do anything but be impressed by her also. Sehun picked the right girl and it was sad to say that she was sinking in her seat as Da Eun continued to amaze everyone by her voicing out her own opinion and ideas.

 

Ah Reum only wanted to be happier than she ever was but the road to happiness was hard as expected. But, if Sehun would be happy with Da Eun, then she just has to let him.

 

"That is so romantic, Da Eun! You have such nice ideas about how you would want someone to finally ask you to be his girlfriend." Sooyoung gleefully exclaimed in front of everyone. It was clear that she was amazed by Da Eun’s creative mind ever since the topic about love started.

 

Da Eun gave her a thankful smile, nodding at the compliment. "It's going to be once in a lifetime so I want it to be memorable as much as possible. But, a sudden blurting-out-of-feeling would be fine with me also."

 

"I am a fan of those kinds of confession," Yerim said dreamily.

 

Da Eun giggled at how Yerim and Sooyoung seemed so enthusiastic with the topic before turning to Ah Reum. "How about you, Ah Reum?" she asked.

 

Ah Reum's intertwined hands that were supporting her knees loosened. Her actions were indicating she was caught off guard by the question and the person who asked it. Everyone knew that Da Eun knows about Ah Reum and Sehun, well, who doesn't? That was why the question came out like a challenge for the brunette.

 

"Me? Well, maybe, the boy can sing for me."

 

"It's cliché," Yerim said.

 

Da Eun immediately argued. "No, it is totally romantic. Go on."

 

Ah Reum nodded and went on, feeling comfortable that she was about to tell this to Da Eun, of all people. "Not just any song, of course, but one that he wrote because he thought of me. The lyrics wouldn’t be too cheesy or anything like that, but will explain why he feels that way and how strongly he feels about me. He wouldn’t really say it directly because I’ll know what he means by that. Though, I want to be taken by surprise, totally amazed. I want to be speechless and shocked so that I know that my mind isn’t making it up. Afterward, we will share an innocent kiss and be happy forever. Just like that, so easy, so good to be true. I’d like to replay it in my mind for as long as I can.”

 

"I hope it will come," Da Eun said, smiling.

 

 

Ah Reum did not know if Da Eun was being honest or a hypocrite but she still said, "Thanks."

 

The conversation went on pretty well. Even Seulgi opened up to some things which surprised everyone. Da Eun was doing a good job being friends with Sehun's friends and she could do it naturally. She had a charm, but she did not know it. Ah Reum found her easy to be with. Seulgi said that she was okay. Yerim could write a long essay on the things she liked about Da Eun and it just happened that they both like baking. Sooyoung was happy to know her. No wonder Sehun came to like her.

 

Meanwhile, with the boys, Jongdae was the newest addition.

 

"So, Jongdae, you are the person responsible for all of these?" Yixing asked, referring to the Organization outing.

 

Jongdae nodded humbly and said, "Yeah but with Seulgi, of course. I cannot do this alone. Ever."

 

"Just congratulate him Yixing for a job well done," Luhan said.

 

Yixing did what Luhan said. "Congratulations, man."

 

"Thanks," Jongdae said, adjusting his glasses.

 

"Your girl seems to be enjoying," Luhan commented, stretching his neck to see what the girls were doing.

 

Sehun simply didn't respond.

 

 

Ah Reum buried her feet in the white sand. She was playing with it since she came outside because for her the sand rejuvenates her body. Needless to say, she loved it. Also the wind, which had been cold and strong ever since the sun had set. Many students were still outside, enjoying the freedom and the vacation time. She could hear the noise, laughter, and voices even when she was in the isolated part of the beach. Ah Reum was sitting under a rock that could be anyone's shade from sunlight at mornings. She was far from the noise, but no one could miss her as she was still visible from the crowd. The waves were calm compared to this morning when it was strong but beautiful. The motion of the water amazed Ah Reum more than ever.

 

Her friends already went to their own rooms and maybe even Da Eun but she chos

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter