Time goes by

Time goes by

He sat in a cosy café surrounded by the light summing in the background from the other costumers. A cup of hot plain black coffee in his hands, a small smile gracing his lips as he enjoyed his beverage while looking outside at the grey November sky. The café left a feeling of being home with its simple wooden tables and chairs, the soft melody of a piano from an old radio mixed with the murmur of the people and the rich smell of freshly brewed coffee.

The ting-a-ling of the bell announced new costumers, a couple which looked for a shelter from the soft rain that had just started. They were holding hands as they looked on the menu, standing in front of the bar. He in a dark blue coat, the hood still on and covering his face. She was wearing a bright yellow coat, her long chocolate brown hair, slightly wet from the rain, fell in her face as she was giggling about something.

Then the guy’s hood fell from his face and for a split second he got a glimpse of coffee brown eyes, as he was scanning the area for a free table.

The memories hit him like a brick.

He remembered all those sweet little details, that hurt him now as he saw them holding hands. A hand he once had been holding, sweet words that once had been directed to him and a breathtakingly beautiful smile that once had made his day brighter.

But that ‘once’ was long ago. Or so it seemed as he saw the couple whispering sweet nothings in each other’s ears.

His heart twitched painfully but then again he was glad that they seemed so happy. Who was he to deny someone’s happiness? Maybe it was better this way, he thought.

He sipped on his still hot beverage and a small sigh escaped his lips. He glanced out of the window to his right. The sky way still a dark gray but the rain had stopped already. He stood up, pulled his hood further down his face and left the small café. Ten bucks left by his still half full cup.

Outside it was cool with the autumn wind tousling his hair and throwing of his hood. He enjoyed the feeling from the wind on his face and took a deep breath.

It’s in the past, get over it, he thought and started to walk.

“Minseok?” Called a voice he hadn’t heard in years. It still sounded as beautiful as always but carried this underlining sadness. Maybe he just imagined it. By the sound of the voice his feet had stopped and like a statue he stood on the pavement. Yet a second later he had recovered and continued his walk without turning around. It had been years ago since then and maybe it was time to move on.

But the feeling of a warm hand in his stopped him and when he looked up he met those beautiful coffee brown eyes.

“Luhan”