The Signing

Just a Bodyguard

Week 3

They get out of the van and then into the jet. It’s early in the morning and Myungsoo is bursting with energy as he follows her up the steps. Almost a habit, she sits down facing the front. She looks at his lost expression as he looks around.

“You can sit down.” She smiles slightly.

“Where, in the front with the pilot? He closed the door in my face so–”

“Sit here then.” She points at the seat in front of her. He frowns slightly and she nods, “If you’re going to help calm me down, I’ll need to talk to you face to face.” He chews his lip absentmindedly and she looks away. Then he sits down.

“So do you need calming down, Ms Bae?”

“Su-Ji.” She blurts out.

“Sorry?” He frowns slightly.

“Call me Su-Ji, after all this time of talking to me formally, I think you can call me Su-Ji. I call you Myungsoo.”
“But that’s different.” He can't call her by her first name. It’s one of the few things that lets him be able to keep a sort of boundary up, “It’s unprofessional, Ms–”

“Come on, it won't change too much.” Oh it will, he thinks.

“Do you need calming down, Su-Ji?” She smiles victoriously and his heart flutters yet again.

“No, unless it’s from the excitement of course.” He smiles slightly and she looks down at the table.

“If you’re not too excited, you should get some rest before the signing.”

“What about you?”

“I’ll survive.” She nods and leans back in her chair closing her eyes. He looks at her. She looks so peaceful like that, her features soften losing that worn out edge she has when awake. He shakes his head and looks away, you’re a bodyguard, remember?

She opens her eyes as they’re landing and sees Myungsoo looking out the window. His face is one of absolute relaxation. She likes to see that. As soon as the thought enters her mind he looks at her smiling softly. Her heart skips a beat.

“Sleep well?” She nods and the jet comes to a stop.

The hour-long drive to the signing is silent but not uncomfortable strangely.

He stops the car, gets out, opens her door, and she hops out. She smiles and waves at the people waiting to the side. They haven’t been able to get the tickets for the actual event so they wait outside.

She signs a few things there, takes selcas here, before Myungsoo tells her they’re going to miss the actual event. She looks at her watch to see that it’s a minute before it starts. She’s never been so close to missing something for her fans well, she’s never been allowed to.

“Eat well in the three hours, I’ll see you afterwards!” She shouts waving to them all and almost runs into the building to greet her fans there.

Myungsoo stands nearby, occasionally taking a present from Suzy. He then hands it to the people who check it to make sure that it’s not dangerous or unsanitary.

After three hours it’s time to go out to the other fans. Suzy goes to the ones she didn’t greet and Myungsoo lets her get all of them until they get to the car.

“Thank you.” She says when they’re driving.

“For what?” He looks at her through the mirror.

“For letting me sign the rest after the official event but why did you?”

“Apart from the signing, there is no real schedule. You’re a lot happier when you can do things for your fans so why not stay out a little more?” He looks back at the road, “ Oh and every gift has been cleared so they’re in the back.” He adds.

“Thank you. Does anyone know when I’m coming back?”

“Apart from the pilot, your manager, other guards, and myself. No one.” After that the drive is yet again quiet. She watches how his mouth is set in a straight line, how his hands grip the steering wheel tightly. She remembers how relaxed he looked earlier and compares it to this. He has two modes so far, no three. First, the smiling and caring one when he encourages her, second, the relaxed one when he is reading or thinking to himself, third, the bodyguard one where—if she can see them—his eyes are focused and intense and he’s not smiling. She wonders if there are anymore, the one when he’s not on the job, the casual one, maybe evem—no, don’t go there, she shakes her hand.

They sit down in the jet and he takes the glasses off revealing eyes that are slowly losing their energy.

“Do you want to sleep?” He straightens looking at her.

“Not yet Ms—Su-Ji.” He corrects himself. She loves how her name sounds—No, she slaps herself mentally, “I can manage, it’s not that long of a flight.” He smiles. She gives him a look and he shakes his head slightly.

He stops the car in front of her apartment building and opens the door for her before getting the gift bags.

“Do you think you could help me drop these off in my apartment?” Why does she feel nervous asking this?

“I don’t think I'm authorized to do so.” He shakes his head.

“By who, your agency or me; the person who is both paying you and the one you’re protecting?” She raises an eyebrow, “Look at me.” He does, “If I say it’s okay, it’s okay.” Please say yes.

“Okay, just to drop these off.” She smiles brightly and he sighs inwardly before following her into the elevator.

She puts the key in the lock and turns it. The doors close and they go up. This one is smaller than the one in f(x)’s dorm.

He leans against the wall resisting the temptation to look at her.

She can't stop looking at him. Almost willing him to look at her, she keeps her eyes on his. Then they do, probably to only glance at her but they then stay locked with hers. She feels that lurch in her stomach, her knees feel like they’re really going to give out, and her heart almost hurts with a strange pressure. This is the feeling she wanted to avoid having but now it’s here. Why?

The doors open and Suzy breaks their eye contact. Myungsoo feels both relieved and disappointed. Then irritated that he feels that way.

“Okay, so come with me, we’ll just drop these off in my room.” He follows her out of the elevator and then a dog comes over energetically. They get to her room and he puts the bags down beside her bed and the dog sniffs his hands, “I think he wants you to pick him up and pet him.” She smiles.

“Are you sure?” She nods and he picks the dog up and it’s head.

“He likes you.” He also smiles.

“This is Damon, right?” She nods again. She feels so confused about the fact that she wants that gentle look in his eyes to be directed at her.