Haein

A little time

Its already past 2 months and a half since Kim Munsik's daughter left the house. "I am sorry sir, we will keep on looking for her." One of his men bowed before leaving the mansion. Taeyang bowed to Munsik and gave him a huge hug. "You will always be my father," Taeyang said to the old man. "Still cannot find her." He said slowly and smiled at Taeyang. Haein was never to be contacted and found since that night which causes the entire family to run into a dead-end of curiosity. 

"She will be back," Taeyang said and comfort the old man. Kim Munsik nodded his head as he look at the picture of his beloved daughter on his phone. "Hyung~ How are you?" Haneul came to the living room and greet Taeyang with a brotherly hug. Taeyang went to Haneul's room for some talk with that high school student. "She never call since she left?" Taeyang asked. "She never called, hyung." Haneul became sad and sat on the couch. Little sobs were heard, came from the little brother.

"We never know, she might come back." Taeyang was worried. He was worried about this family, fragile, brittle and thin likes a piece of ice that could break whenever. They love her so much. Taeyang admitted that the moment he read the letter, he felt something. Something painful but he pulled himself to reality. He got his Aecha waiting for him. He still loves this family and his family understood his situation.

"She used to hang out here." Haneul cried some more. Taeyang gave him a hug. He remembered one of his conversations with Haein.

I am marrying you because for the family's company and you need to always help both of these companies to stand up tall and great. Help dad and train Haneul to be a good CEO like you. Please, take care of the family.

Was that a kind of indirect message that she had been telling him since the first day they got married?? Taeyang suddenly couldn't sit still and walk to the villa that was left untouched. Taeyang sat in the villa and had some thoughts. "Aecha, I won't be home tonight or for a few days. I need to figure out some cases." Taeyang called his lovely fiance. "Oppa? Are you going anywhere?" Aecha asked. "No, just at Kim's property." Taeyang ended the call.

He went into Heain closet or known as the walk-in wardrobe. Her scent was there, her clothes were there, her shoes were there, and her memory was left there. Taeyang swallow hard and tried to walk into the huge closet space. Taeyang's hand touched every dress in the rack and reminisced the memories of him and his friend's of him. Haein's smiles and laughs were displaced in his mind. He went to a vanity located at the end of the closet facing the window. Heain's laptop was on that vanity with some of her old novels.

 ►►►Haein held up her iPhone and record her face and when to the kitchen.

"Heeyy~! Look! It is my mom cooking in the kitchen, mom is cooking??!!! Woooww!! That is new, could you tell me why mom? This is your first time mom. Magic!" She  mom.

"It is my special seaweed soup for my beloved son in law." She said cheerfully.

"Mom! Not fair, you never cook seaweed for my birthday...." Haneul pouted and sulk. 

Then, Haein went into their room to look for Taeyang. "Young Bae-shi! Young Bae-shi!" Taeyang came out from the bathroom with a towel wrapped around his waist.

"Aigooo! Wear something! I am recording a video right now." Haein turn the phone and record her face.

"What?"

"Wear your clothes."

"What?" Taeyang was having fun teasing the lady. 

"Wear your clothes."

"What??"

"Young Bae-shi is being annoying!" She still recorded her face and wanted to get out of the room when Taeyang suddenly grab her iPhone and record himself.

"Dong Young Bae! Don't disturb me!" She tried to grab her phone back and Taeyang having fun recording her tried snatching the phone. Haein gave up and walk away leaving her phone with Taeyang.

"Ommoo, Kim Haein is pouting like her little Haneul." Taeyang hugged her from the back and gave her a kiss on the cheek while recording it with the phone in his other hand.

"It is my birthday!!! I got to tease you as much as I want." Taeyang laughed when Haein still pouting.►►

Taeyang shut down the laptop. It was not a good idea to open it in the first place. He sighed as he look around the empty spaces in their villa. The villa that used to filled with their interaction. 
 


The upcoming week, Taeyang visits Kim's family again and went to the villa that he used to call home to watch all her laughs and action on the laptop left in her wardrobe. Her laughter and her smiles kept on replaying in his mind. He came to the villa every day like his old habit and hang out in their favourite garden. One day, Taeyang was walking on the lawn and suddenly Kim's property got another visitor. ​

Dear dad, mom and Haneul. I am not coming home, now, soon, ever. I have done something that makes you guys feel sad. I really love you. L you mom. I love you, dad. I love you Haneul. Please forgive me for everything that I have done since I was born. I am glad to be born in this family but time flies so fast for me. Please don't look for me because it will only hurt you. I am a bad daughter to mom and dad. Please take care of Young Bae on my behalf and treat him like you used to. I can't write for long but all I wanted to say is I love all of you.

 Your beloved daughter, Kim Haein. Hug & Kiss​

The letter was short but it causes everybody in the mansion to turn silent. "I need to go, she gave me this letter last 3 weeks and I have never seen her since that." A beautiful mid 30's woman said. Taeyang observed the woman from top to toe. Her face was familiar, he remembered Haein in always making a video call with a lady. "Wait. What is your relationship with Haein?" Taeyang stopped her from getting out of the mansion. "A friend." She smiled and went out leaving the house. She bowed her head to the people in the mansion before she rushed to her car. Taeyang slowly follows the woman claiming as Haein's friend with his car.

She parked her car at a hospital. Taeyang put a disguise on and went into the hospital too. That woman is a doctor at that private hospital. "How was Haein?" That woman asked a nurse. The name he heard almost make his heart dropped to the floor. Taeyang look around the hallway and the department where she is heading into. The woman was heading into a neonatal intensive care unit, a  department specialized for babies. "She is sleeping for this moment." The nurse stated and bowed before continuing to do her work. Taeyang knew something is wrong.

"Is there a patient named Haein?" Taeyang asked a nurse at the counter as he walked out from his hiding. He was curious. "Who are you?" She asked. Taeyang pulled an attorney card as the legal guardian of the patient Haein. He was sure there is more that he should investigate about his missing wife. The nurse panicked and guided him to the NICU. She gave him the sterile attire to enter the room. 

Taeyang walk slowly into the room with the blue body cover and a cap that was fully sterile. The room was blue and dim because of the blue light. He walk closer and saw a few baby incubators. It is not the Heain that he looks for. The baby got the exact same name as her. Baby Haein was so small and located in an incubator with wire and needle all around her body. What a poor baby. Taeyang look at the baby causes him to shed his tears unknowingly. He could see that the baby was in pain.

For some reason, Taeyang sat a few minutes beside the baby. Taeyang sighed and stared blankly at the unconscious baby. Then, before he was about to stand up and left the baby, he saw the baby's tag located at the side of the incubator. 

Name : Kim Haein 
Age : 16 days 
Birthdate : 21 June 
Mother :  N/A
Father  :  N/A

 

Taeyang stood up and walk out of the controlled room and stumble to the woman that came to Kim's mansion that morning. "Young Bae-shi? Wh-what are you doing here?" She stammered and panicked. "What is this?" Taeyang said suddenly attacking that woman. "S-sorry Young Bae-shi!" she replied. "Tell me everything!" Taeyang just said things, in general, he never know that woman will eat his bait. "I promised her to keep it safe from anyone."

"Come in." The woman named Yoonso invited Taeyang into her house. Taeyang hesitated and step slowly into the house. The smell of medicines stabs his nose. "She was here last three weeks."  Yoonso opened a door and let Taeyang in. The room was warm and her smell was still there. "She wrote these letters for her family because she didn't want her family to be worried." Yoonso gave Taeyang a box full of handwritten letters. Some say she had a great time, some says she misses them, some says she was being a bad daughter.

|| 6 months ago... ||

"Kim Haein, you are pregnant. Do you know that?" Yoonso said to her patient. "I know, I didn't have my menstrual since last two months, " Haein said in a slow voice. "You could harm yourself. You need to abort the baby." She advised the patient. Haein shook her head in denial, she never planned to have a baby but aborting a baby is the cruellest thing Yoonso ever asked her to do. "No, I could feel it in my womb. Something is living in my womb, how the hell do you ask me to kill something that is alive in me?" She cried trying to protect her baby. "A pregnant woman cannot undergo brain surgery!!" Yoonso shouted at Haein.   

"I don't care about that anymore. The baby is more important!" Haein cried while holding her belly. "Could you not make things difficult?" Yoonso gave up and calmed down. "I cannot afford myself killing an innocent life." Haein cried some more. The baby is not what she had planned all this time. Just the incident from her first night with the drunk Taeyang made that baby exist.

"​You dump Choi Minho because you don't want to burden him and you don't want him to look at you when you're sick and you don't want to hurt him because of your disease. You don't want him to hurt when you could not remember his face anymore. That was why you choose Young Bae over him. What was your purpose of marrying that stranger and had it worse!?" Yoonso argued with her patient. "Yes, that was my intention. I wanted to tell Young Bae as soon as we got married about my disease and I need him to lead the company and help the family. We have never been in love with each other, so I don't think it would hurt him if I told him that was my purpose in marrying him. But things got slipped out of my hand, he never talk to me since I and he got married and he never been home too. Then, it was too late until I knew there is a living creature inside my womb." Haein replied without energy. She has cried her heart out for at least a week after knowing that she might be pregnant. 

"Okay, if you going to keep the baby, you need to come to the brain therapy. Some will take days and weeks. But the most important thing is you need to tell Young Bae everything." Yoonso said while looking at the scan of Haein's brain. "No more radiotherapy, it could harm that little creature." Yoonso smiled, trying her best to comfort Haein. She was sure that Haein didn't ever predict herself to be pregnant after marrying a man she never loved.
 
|| 3 months ago... ||

"Yoonso, I don't think I could tell Young Bae everything. He is now becoming closer to my family, he could tell them everything and make them worried." Haein said. "It is your decision. Up to you." Yoonso was tired of advising this one patient of her. She is stubborn. After a few sessions of therapy, Haein was allowed to go back home. Then, she came for another therapy and another therapy happily ready to be healthy. She was positive that she'll deliver the baby on time and plan her brain surgery afterwards. 

"Heain,I am sad to inform you, your brain conditions got worse and you need surgery as soon as possible. You need to abort that baby because you need to undergo the knife.” Yoonso said to the happy Haein that was so bright entering her therapy session. “W-what?” She cried as soon as she heard that news. She started to feel a new turning point in life. She wanted to tell Taeyang about the baby but know she will rethink that decision again.

“You should tell Young Bae everything. He needs to know about the baby.” Haein cried again. “I need my baby. If I tell him, he will make me abort this baby and my family will know about this too.” She cried. At the moment, last night she realized that Taeyang was unconsciously in love with her and she does feel the same even though they didn’t mention love at all but she could feel it when they walked together heading to the villa. “I don’t want to hurt Young Bae. I think he is in love with me.” Heain said and drove straight back home. She cried while filling out the divorce form and cried again. She writes a short letter to him before leaving the property and her life.


​Taeyang breakdown to hear the truth about Haein from Yoonso. "Why would you keep this as a secret from your husband? How can you endure all this on your own?" Taeyang cried as he sat down on the bed once belong to Haein. Aren't they supposed to be best friends? He looks at the picture of Haein in a pregnancy dress. "I should've been there with you, loving this baby together..." Taeyang cried as he kiss the picture of Haein, his wife, his friend, the one that he missed the most. The one who filled his dream. "Is that little in the controlled room possibly be ours?" Taeyang asked Yoonso.

She nodded and smiled. "She was unconscious when we took that baby out. She passed out on the bed and her impulse was getting slower but we manage to take out the baby first." Yoonso replied and she gave a box that is full of Haein pictures in a pregnant dress. "She wants me to keep it and show it to the baby. She might already know that she was not going to make it." Yoonso smiled and left Taeyang in his own thought. Taeyang took his time to ponder in his action and digest some thoughts. He cannot help but think that he was the reason for her death. 

"Youngbae-shi, Haein separate a box of letters and videos for you." Yoonso came back and gave him a box full of memoirs of Kim Haein. Taeyang opened a letter. 

Dear Youngbae, my husband, my strength and best friend. Despite the short span of time that we had, I cannot help but to fell in love with you. Loving all your little smiles and laughter. Did you know that you have the best eye smile in the world? I want our baby to have the same eyes as you, so I pray to God every night please give my baby her daddy's eyes. I think this baby will make our life happier and you'll be the proudest dad to ever exist. I thank God that he blessed me with this baby. Promise me, take care of our baby on my behalf. I love you sincerely from the bottom of my heart and I am happy to be the mother of your child. Don't blame yourself if anything happens to me. I was the one who decided to keep the baby, she was the symbol of my love for you. She is the evidence that I and you once exist before.

I love you, Kim Haein.  

Taeyang got up on his feet and strengthen his heart. Despite the little time, God introduce him to someone named Kim Haein, he was grateful that his life was coloured with happiness and good memories. He vowed to love the baby like how a father loved their child. He wants to do that on behalf of Haein. He was just being denial of his feeling that he was not in love with his wife but now, he admitted, he fell in love with her from all their moments at the villa together. He went to the hospital, the baby was still in the incubator. Taeyang sat beside the baby's incubator while looking at her full of love. All the memory of him being with her were a lot even though in just a little time. Taeyang took out the tag and smiled at the unconscious baby. "Welcome to the world, my love. Daddy is here.." A tear rolled down on his cheek while filling the baby's tag with new information. 

Name : Kim Dong Haein 
Age : 16 days 
Birthdate : 21 June 
Mother N/A Kim Haein
Father  N/A Dong Youngbae

 

 || 5 years later ... ||

Taeyang kiss the little girl that is snuggling with him and smile at her. He gave her a few kisses and hug the little girl again. The wall of the room is fully white with a lot of black and white photos hanging on the wall. Her smile and her gaze were hung on every inch of the main wall and decorated beautifully with some wedding photos of him and her. "Dong Haein, it's time for school.." Taeyang said as he ruffles his daughter's hair. She shook her head and continue to sleep. 

"Young Bae! Breakfast is ready. Come down!" Taeyang smiled and got up as soon as he heard the voice of duty. Taeyang kiss the little girl once again before running downstairs toward his beloved mother-in-law. "Where is she?" Mrs Kim asked with a furious face. "In my room, sleeping safe and sound," Taeyang replied and kiss his beloved mother-in-law's cheek before greeting Kim Munsik at the dining table with his little Haneul. "We should go to work." Taeyang smile when he looks at his watch.  "Sure." Haneul sighed and lift up his but before following Taeyang to the car.

"Hyung, aren't you tired working?" Haneul asked. "Just an eight-hour duty little bro." Taeyang smiled at him. "You know what I think it is time for you to have a wife." Haneul suddenly spat causes Taeyang to laugh. "I have a wife little bro. She is just not here."Taeyang laughs again. "But Little Haein needs a mother," Haneul said. "She looks at her mother every day." Taeyang smiles bitterly and drives his car. He spends most of his time with his daughter and some of his eight hours per day duty. He want to spend all of the time he had with her. Whenever he looks at his daughter, he could feel his wife's love. He was contented with his life, appreciating his daughter growth and creating more memories with the people he loved the most. 

 

 

~THE END~