Chapter 5

If Ever You Need Me, I'll Be There

Jinki opened the door and almost didn't believe his eyes. He thought for a moment he must be dreaming; but he couldn't be. The Taemin in his dreams was only ever happy; he was given the world because that's what he deserves. The Taemin on his doorstep was broken down and beaten, defeated by life. They looked at each other, months of thought passing in just one glance and Taemin knew then that Jinki needed him too. 

Jinki wrapped his arms around Taemin, pulling him into his body until no space was between them. When Taemin wrapped his legs around Jinki's wasit, Jinki carried him into the house because that's where he belonged. 


"Taemin-ah," Jinki said as they layed in bed, their legs tangled together under the sheets, and Jinki's hand running through Taemin's hair. Taemin was asleep already, but Jinki hoped he would still hear him. Jinki had to say this. "I love you. And I want you to know that I need you to stay here. I need you to stay here because when you aren't here, with me, everything hurts. I've always known that you need me, and I'll always be here. I don't think I've ever told you how much I need you though; and I do need you, a lot, so please, don't leave."

Taemin wasn't asleep. He heard Jinki; he heard him, but he didn't believe him. Jinki didn't need him. Nobody needeed him. Why would they? He was selfish, and broken and needy. He was a parasite; he found someone and hung onto them, their happiness becoming his just for a moment, until eventually, they became just as miserable as he was. He couldn't let that happen to Jinki. 

Taemin felt tears come to his eyes, and he let them fall. It wasn't until Jinki fell asleep that Taemin allowed himself to look at the man. He spoke, and placed a kiss to the man's hand in his.

"I love you too Jinki, and I'm so, so sorry,"