five.

화양연화
 
 
 
 
five
Jinhwan's pov

"Dude, you look like you fell into a ditch, got back out and knocked into a pole several times." Jennie exclaimed, appalled by, well, the not very pleasing sight of my appearance. "What the hell happened to you?"

"Yeah, whatever you said." I chuckled silently, letting out a hiss as I linked my arm with hers. Damn, did the medical oil not work? Jennie let out a gasp. "Kim Jinhwan," she enunciated. She pulled my collar down, revealing a dark purple bruise lining my neck. "You better tell me what's up." I stole a short glance at her and smiled sheepishly, removing my uniform from her grip. I could obviously tell from the tone of her voice that she meant business, but I was still gonna lie my way through it anyway. "Don't worry about it, nothing too serious. Come on, we're gonna be late for school." I tried to change the topic. I was definitely not going to tell Jennie about Taehyun and his little minions. She would kill them, literally. Of course that did not mean that she stopped prodding on. All I could say was that I was grateful to be in a different year just for that moment.

As I stepped into class, Taehyun was already there, sitting on my desk. Needless to say, he was waiting for my arrival, "Hey Jinhwan- Oh my! What happened to you?" he gasped out loud and covered his mouth. That made me want to kick him so badly. Everyone turned to look at me. God dammit Taehyun. I kept my eyes locked onto his as I made my way to my desk. "Nothing much, Taehyun. Just fell, thanks for asking. Now could you please get your off my table so that I can rest on it and hide my hideous face?" I said, trying to maintain a sarcastic yet sweet-sounding tone. It earned a smirk from him, "Of course, princess." he sneered, blowing a kiss at me. I could hear his little minions laughing in the corner as Taehyun went over to join them. I sighed inwardly. This was going to be a long day.

 


 

Jisoo's pov


It was a miracle that I woke up alive- no, it was miracle that I even managed to survive the night. I squeezed my eyes shut, trying to shake off the horrific thoughts that were haunting me from last night.  I could recall how my body jarred with each blow, how the pain seared through my skin and took away every feeling of safety I ever had. He put his all into each strike. His sinewy arm would recoil and snap back to my back, the impact delivered by an object rather than his own hand. Maybe at first I shed tears, I don't recall. I could only remember how helpless my mother was. She watched as he squeezed my shoulders and started screaming at me the moment our eyes met. He slapped me and he shoved the table, destroying the glass vase and making it shatter everywhere. "Oh God... Please stop..." I cowered instictintively, then realising that I was just too lost in my own thoughts.  I took a good look at the fresh wounds on my limbs. How was I going to go to school today? People would start talking. Ever since he came back, I haven't been able to arrive in school on time. On some days, things were good. I had no idea where he went in the morning. How? How did he manage to come back? Was his jail term over? Just then, I received a notification. 

Hey, are you gonna be late again today? Don't worry I'll cover for you ;) Received 06:12

I let out a soft chuckle. Bobby never failed to make me laugh. I was grateful towards him, though. I didn't have to think about stuff going on at home whenever I'm in school, especially when I'm around him. However, I felt a pang of sadness from the thought of seeing my friends in school. Maybe I didn't want them to find out about what was going on in my life at this point. Whilst contemplating if I should be in school today, I pulled my knees up to my chest and wrapped my arms around my shins; if I could just curl up into a ball, I wouldn't have to face real life, I'd be protected from everything around me. But I'd still have to live with myself, with the wretched memories swirling around in my head. I let my head fall down to my knees and pulled my legs closer to me. I wasn't going to cry. I don't cry easily. Not anymore.
 


 

Bobby's pov


Why isn't this girl replying me? Is she still asleep?? I fiddled with my phone while tossing and turning on bed. Did we hang out till that late yesterday that she couldn't wake up? 

"Jiwon ah! Wake up!" I heard my aunt calling. I groaned. I was so not ready to get out of bed. "Hurry up or you're going to be late!" 

"Okay okay, coming!" I hollered back. I rolled off the bed and got to my feet before making my way to the dining room. "Ay Dong." I grinned after I spotted Donghyuk on his chair and ruffled his hair. He looked up and smiled back at me, "Morning, hyung!" he said with his usual cheerful tone. How does this boy manage to stay so happy all the time. He was all sunshine and rainbows. The moment I slid into the chair, I was served an enormous platter of food. Eggs, ham, piles of fried potatoes and a huge glass of milk. I groaned. "Imo, I told you not to give me so much food early in the morning." My aunt eyed me and replied nonchalantly," You say that every time but you always gobble up the whole plate anyway." Well, that's very true but- Never mind. I lost.

"So hyung, how's Jisoo noona?" Donghyuk asked. I blinked.

"What do you mean how's Jisoo noona, she's fine." I replied. 

"You two seem close." He continued.

"Who's Jisoo noona?" My aunt questioned.

"I think hyung likes her." 

I almost spat my milk out. "Woah woah woah hold it there, boy. Firstly, that is not true, she's just my seatmate. Secondly- Secondly..."

"Secondly what?" Donghyuk grinned. 

"Wipe that grin off your face Dong, or I'll do it for you." I narrowed my eyes. 

"I think you like Jisoo noona!"

"I do not!"

"Alright boys hurry up and leave for school now, you guys can argue about Jisoo noona another time."

I got off my seat as Donghyuk did at the same time and bid my aunt goodbye. God bless her for getting my out of this situation. But that did not stop him from continuing. 

"You like her."

"Stop talking, Donghyuk."

 

I made it to school just in time. No whooping from Mr Lee today! I did a little cheer whilst making my way over to my desk. Jisoo was already seated on the seat beside mine, surprisingly. "Hey, you didn't reply to my text! So you finally managed to arrive early." I grinned as I sat down. She returned a small smile and continued with her reading. Hm, that was unexpected. I could see her fidgeting uncomfortably. "You alright?" I asked. She nodded and said, "Just a little tired." 

I pursed my lips. "Maybe we hung out too late yesterday. Aw, I'm sorry Jisoo. Maybe for our next hang out session we'll try to be home earlier, eh?" I suggested. She nodded again. Man, she was awfully quiet today. She must be really tired. I shrugged as I went on to do what I always did in school, sleep.

 

 

As usual, the teachers droned on an on in every class. Funny how they could actually work as lullabies to me. Jisoo wasn't talking much today, that made it even harder for me to stay awake. Even during lunch time, she was silent the whole time, maybe with a few laughter and short sentences here and there but that was it. I felt kinda guilty for making her stay with me till late last night. But hey, I just wanted someone to accompany me. I stood my from my seat and stretched. Grabbing my bag, I turned towards Jisoo and said, "You should get some sleep, I guess you must be really tired since you haven't really spoken all day. Well, catch you tomorrow!" I smiled widely and gave her a small wave. "Wait Bobby-" Jisoo cut me off as I was about to leave, "We can hang out today." she uttered. 

"Really?" My face lit up. "Great! I'll just tell my aunt I'm not going home for dinner tonight." I took my phone out from my back pocket and it just so happened at the same time that the screen lit up. Uh oh. Business calls. I chewed onto my bottom lip and looked at Jisoo. "Ah... Hey, I'm really sorry but I'm gonna have to pass today. Something urgent came up." I told her apologetically. The subtle excitement on her face earlier on faded immediately, "Oh." she simply said. I cursed at myself mentally. "I'm reaaaally sorry, you know I'd never ditch you but this-" I held my phone up, "Is really important." She shook her head and smiled at me, "It's okay, you go attend to your business. I think I'll just go home and have some rest." there was a tiny hint of disappointment in her voice. "Aw, Jisoo, have you finally realised that I'm a real fun person to hang out with?" I teased, "Don't be sad! We can hang out another time, uh- Tomorrow works too!" I pinched her left cheek softly. My sudden action expressed a look of surprise on her face. Oops. "Well see you tomorrow, yeah?" I gave her one last wave before bolting out of the classroom.
 


 

 

 

the writer's words

I'm not dead I swear. Wow, how long has it been since I last updated? I still have a plot for this fanfic and I really intend to complete it but time is not letting me :'( Also because of the amount of time I took to update, I kinda lost a few scenarios and I'm not entirely sure of how to fill in the gaps. That explains why this chapter is pretty dry and maybe a little repetitive. However I'm still really grateful that there are people reading this! Don't worry, I promise I'll complete this fanfic.

a tori creation >