four.

화양연화
four
Bobby's pov

"The density of ice is 0.9167 g/cm3 at 0 °C, whereas water has a density of of 0.9998 g/cm³ at the same temperature. Liquid water is densest, essentially 1.00 g/cm³, at 4 °C and becomes less dense as the water molecules begin to form the hexagonal crystals of ice as the freezing point..."

The day seemed to pass insanely slow. What better way to start the day with a Science lesson? It hasn't even been past an hour since Mr Lee started talking about ice. And what's the deal with ice? The only ice I knew was the one I had to deliver every week. I chuckled lowly to myself. I wonder where Jisoo is right now. She has been late for class two days in a row and she has never missed a lesson at all. It seems like she's even later today. Shrugging my shoulders, I turned to face the front, where Mr Lee is still going on and on. "Oh God," I muttered, plopping my head down on the desk. It wasn't long before I felt something hit the top of my head. I looked up immediately and noticed a piece of paper crunched into a ball. Oh, a note for me? What's this? A love letter? Grinning to myself, I opened it up and read through it. Hm, nope, not a love letter. I turned towards the back door of the classroom and there Jisoo was, squated down with her hand raised up, giving me a sheepish wave. I shook my head slightly. Alright, I was gonna help her get into class without being seen by Mr Lee. You can do this, Bobby. I took a short glance at Mr Lee. Good, he was still talking with his back faced towards us. As quickly as possible, I tried not to make any sounds while directing Jisoo. What's challenging about this was that Mr Lee would turn around and face us again occasionally and I had to sit back properly and pretended nothing was going on. Moving my hand, I signalled Jisoo to move again as Mr Lee's back was turned towards us. I must have been waving frantically like a mad man before I realised the class was silent, "Oh no." I thought. Turning my head slowly, I saw Mr Lee looking straight at me, "What's going on, Mr Kim?" he quizzed as he began walking towards me. The whole class turned back to look at me as well. I could only let out a nervous laughter. "Jisoo?" I heard Yunhyeong's voice from the other side. "What are you doing on the floor?" All eyes diverted towards her in an instant, including mine. Instinctively, that made Jisoo shoot Yunhyeong a panicked look before she placed her palm over her face. Mission failed.
 


 

Jisoo's pov


Friday is a day where you look forward to finally take a break from school and just head home to rest after a long week, or even hang out with your friends somewhere, but looks like I'm stuck here in class on a Friday afternoon with Bobby, because he made Mr Lee spot the both of us. Well, mainly because I was late for almost an hour and he was trying to help me. We had to stay behind and clean the classroom in the end. 

"Let's get this over and done with." I said to Bobby, picking up a random rag from the bucket. Yuck, has this even been washed? 

"I can't believe he made us stay behind just because you were late!" He complained. "And it wasn't even my fault." 

"Well I'm sorry." I replied, rolling my eyes playfully. Bobby took hold of the other rag as he flung it, making the water splash onto me. "Yah!" I shrieked, "That's dirty!" the look of annoyance I shot his way elicited a wide grin from him and he flung the rag a second time, making more wet spots appear on my uniform. "Stop it!" I yelled and hurled the rag I was holding onto towards him as I watched it land on his chest with a loud slap, wetting his uniform instantly. "Oh Kim Jisoo, you did not." Bobby mouthed while he removed the rag and then took a step towards me, the corners of his lips fighting a smile. I looked away before that mischievous look of his could spread. I swear this kid's exuberance for trouble is a contagion. But before I could strengthen my resolve to be aloof, I've already glanced back at him. In a few seconds, that pirate grin of his was on my face to and I knew he meant for his revenge plan to go down right now. "Kim Jisoo." Bobby taunted playfully as he continued inching towards me. "Don't come near me." I warned and took a step back, getting ready to run. 

"Jisoo~"

"S-Stop!" 
 



"I'm very sure we are going to get in trouble when we go back to school."

"Nah, don't worry about it, Mr Lee wouldn't care to be honest."

"At least you should've let me finish cleaning the tables! I was just going on to the last row."

"Tsk, live a little, Jisoo."

Just ten minutes ago, I was busy wiping the tables like the good student I am and now here I am, leaving the school gates and going for dinner with Bobby. I mean, he can be defiant all he wants but he shouldn't drag me down together with him. I don't have a good feeling about this, we would probably be called to stay behind after school again on Monday. I sighed. "Come on, stop worrying and let's get some food, I'm starving." Bobby said, placing his arm around my shoulder and making me quicken my steps. "I'm not hungry though." I told him. He stopped in his tracks, looked at me directly in the eyes stone-faced before breaking into a grin. "Well, you are going to follow me anyway."
 



The house was dark. "Mom?" I called out. I had completely lost track of time while I was out with Bobby. I hoped my father wasn't home today, not especially when I'm home at this hour. Taking very light steps, I managed to creep into my room and shut the door. I guess he wasn't home. The past two days had been rough. My father was always drunk when he came back to the house and I had to clean up the mess in the morning, which explains why I was late. Just as I was about to head out and take a shower, the door burst open with a cracking blow, "Where have you been, eh?" came the daunting voice. I froze momentarily in shock, staring up at the cold, menacing face as my breath hitched in my throat. Fear. It's the feeling of the tightening in your chest. It's the way that when you open your mouth, no sound can be produced, and the way it robs your of your senses and replaces it with something that makes your muscles contract and eyes widen in dread. That was what I felt all at once. I stood there for what felt like an eternity but was actually only a few seconds. I could only imagine what was going to happen within the next second. 
 


 

Jinhwan's pov


It was dawn as the packed bus trundled along the concrete road without stopping. I was lucky enough to get a seat. It's only the first half of the year, yet I was already starting to feel all the stress coming. I guess they weren't joking when they said third year is going to feel like hell. I've been awfully busy, I couldn't help it. There is just so much on my plate right now. At this point, all I could think of is achieving exceptionally good grades and getting into a prestigious university. Yup, I'm pretty ambitious. My grades were kinda average, not up there, yet not rock bottom at the same time. Hopefully I'll be able to get my grades up by the end of the second semester. "Sorry." I continued mumbling apologies as I pushed my way out of the bus. Remind me not to sit all the way at the back again. Stuffing my hands into my pockets, I began the long trudge back home. "You in a hurry, doll?" I heard a sneer behind me. Just as I turned around, I felt a hard shove on my shoulder, causing me to stumble. It was Taehyun and his small gang of followers who just happen to be in the class next to mine. They were known for disturbing other students, sometimes with no reason at all. Did they follow me? In no time, I was cornered by them. "What's going on?" I questioned, trying the best I could to sound bold. "Look what I found." Taehyun smirked as he held up a diary, which seemed to appear identical to mine. I froze. Is that my diary? In a hurry, I opened up my bag and indeed found no trace of it. "Give it back." I demanded, trying to reach out as Taehyun held the diary even higher. Laughter surrounded me. "Aw, poor little Jinhwan is too short to reach for this, hmm?" He continued taunting, swinging the diary in his hands. "Give it back." I repeated. "Why are you so anxious to get it back?" He asked as his eyes bored into mine before leaning closer, his voice dangerously low, "Is it because there is something in here that no one should know about?" 

I looked back at him, "Did you read it?" I wanted to know, because there was something that no one should ever find out, especially my friends, and it was all in that personal diary of mine.

"Oh, let's see, did I?" Taehyun taunted while flipping through the pages. "Stop it." I snapped, snatching it from his hands as I found my own arm swinging upwards. I had never punched anyone before, so I was incredibly surprised at the pain the blazed up my arm as my fist connected with his jaw, making him stagger backwards. "What the ." He hissed. In a split second, I felt his fist sinking into my stomach, making me gag. I managed to catch my breath before diving back at him, eyes narrowed in determination. As Taehyun swung his arm around for another blow on my stomach, I dodged it and came up with my own. For a brief instant, his eyes widened before he tilted his head back and slammed it into mine. Stars burst in my vision immediately but I shook it off, blindly throwing a sloppy kick. He stepped back, easily evading the kick, "Is that all you've got?" he crowed, smirking infuriatingly at me. My blood hummed in my veins as determination and anger took over. But before I could do anything, Taehyun had already given his followers the signal and I found myself being battered ruthlessly. My breath left my body as I fell on the cold, hard concrete. One of them grabbed my arm and started pulling me up and slammed his fist into my stomach again. The pain became more intense as I tried to breathe. I wanted to throw up, but I couldn't. "Alright boys, let him go. I think he's had enough." Taehyun interrupted. I fell back and clutched onto my stomach in agony as they backed away from me. Taehyun squatted down beside me, obviously enjoying the sight I was in. "Don't worry, we won't let your dirty little secret slip out." He assured and gave me a light pat on the head before standing up and kicking the diary further away as they swaggered off, not taking a second look at me.

 

I must have stayed at the same spot for over ten minutes. My body was in absolute pain. Never once have I been in a fight, nor been a victim of someone. I wobbled to my feet, swaying a little as I went over to where the notebook was. As I bent down, my legs gave away immediately and I landed on the concrete once again. Reaching out for my diary, I pat the dust off while I flipped through the pages. With one last flip, I heaved a sigh as I looked up and closed my eyes.

"."  
 


 

 

 

 

the writer's words

Hi guys, I'm alive. And sooo sorry for not updating in like a month, I've been really busy with my final year project and I'm literally in school for 11 hours almost every day. I'm probably gonna update the next chapter in a month's time so please bear with it, and thank you to those of your who still have this fic subscribed and thank you for your comments as well! Anyway I've added Taehyun to this fic as well but he won't be in a major part of it, just those parts with Jinhwan in them.

a tori creation >