one.

화양연화
 
one
Jennie's pov

They say that the best part of a person's life usually begins once a person turns 18, lasting all the way to 21. It's the first year, I'd like to see it for myself, the best part that they've been talking about. 

I'm Jennie, I've just turned 18 this year. There isn't much about me. I'm in my second year of high school, I'm living together with my father, my mother died a few years ago. I don't communicate much with people except for my three closest friends, and they're all guys. Some people say I'm rather stuck up and disdainful. But hey, I don't entertain people whom I think wouldn't be in a huge part of my life.
 



"Stupid girl, you forgot to wake me up!" Jinhwan caught up to me as he wrapped his arm around my shoulder forcefully. 

"I hardly woke myself up this morning either, stupid!" I argued, pushing his arm off me. He gave me a grin and ruffled my hair, "Catch you later." he said, making his way to class.

 

Ah yes, let's talk about Jinhwan, my best friend. He's two years older than me. The first time we met was when I was ten. Both our mothers worked together in the same company. After my mother died, Jinhwan's mother would look after me occasionally as my father was always travelling due to his work. I didn't like him back then because he seemed like those "goody two-shoes". Eventually he and I got closer, since he was the only friend I had until high school. Yeah, I didn't have friends back then. 

 

The first lesson had already started. "Sorry I'm late." I said rather indifferently. Mr Lee crossed his arms and stared straight at me, his voice slightly austere. "This isn't your first time, Jennie. Hurry and get settled down." I sauntered towards my table and plopped down on my seat before taking out my books. Wait, who was sitting beside me? I turned my head to the right and found myself looking at someone else, rather than my usual seat partner, Jiwon, or Bobby as he liked to call himself that. Who was this guy again? Hyunbin? Hongbin?

"It's Hanbin." He said. Oops, I must have been talking out loud. "Why are you sitting here?" I whispered. Hanbin looked at me from the corner of his eye, not saying a word. I looked around and realised that most of the seats have been changed. Great, we come back from the term break and we have our seats swapped? I was just getting to know Bobby. It hasn't even been a month since I've transferred from my old school. I glanced at Hanbin. Man, he was paying attention well. "I'm Jennie." I tried to introduce myself. There was no response. I was pretty sure he heard me. "Ugh, monotonous freak." I muttered, rolling my eyes. I heard him snicker.

 

I was about to leave the class after school when I heard someone call my name, "Oi Jennie!" I turned around. It was Bobby. "You wanna group up with us for the upcoming project?" I blinked at him. "What project?" I asked, confused. "Yah haven't you been listening in class? We have a huge poster design project for the school's musical." Bobby chided. "Oh." I replied, "Well, okay, since I don't have a group." 

"Alright we'll put your name in. Don't forget to- Yah where did she go!"
 



I wasn't late for school the next day. I still haven't got the chance to talk to Hanbin though. Ah, I don't think he'd want to talk to me anyway. Just then, Mr Lee walked in together with a girl whom I've never seen before, "Attention class, we have a new student." Mr Lee announced. He then signalled her to introduce herself. "Hi I'm Kim Jisoo, um, not very good with introductions but I look forward to having a great rest of the school year with you all!" She smiled and gave a slight bow. I chuckled softly. She was chirpy, not to mention really pretty as well. Hm, I could get to know her better since she seems friendly, unlike someone. I glanced over to Hanbin. He was smiling. Wait, he was smiling? The monotonous freak smiling at the sight of the new girl? Wow, that was uncalled for. "Thank you Jisoo, would you mind sitting over there at the empty seat?" Mr Lee pointed towards the seat beside Bobby. She nodded and made her way over.

 

Yunhyeong, Bobby, Hanbin and I were seated together during break time. "Okay we're supposed to discuss about the poster now, and Jennie! I wasn't finished with what I was saying yesterday. And good grief I couldn't even text you because I don't have your number. Tsk-" Bobby was interrupted. "Hey, so I was told to join you guys?" We spun our heads around immediately. Jisoo smiled at us, giving a tiny wave.

"Oh, yes, sure, since we have four people anyway." Yunhyeong spoke as he grabbed a chair for her, "Thanks!" she responded and sat down. "Don't mention it, anything for a pretty girl." He replied with a grin.  

"Dude, stop trying to hit on the new girl." Bobby groaned. Yunhyeong raise his hands up in defense as he argued, "How was I hitting on her? I was just being a gentleman." I saw Hanbin grimace.

"Okay guys, the poster." I cut in almost immediately.

 

Jinhwan was waiting for me outside my classroom after school. We were supposed to have lunch together. "Let's go, I'm starving to death." I whined, walking away from the classroom. Jinhwan pulled me back. "Wait, we're still waiting for some people."

"Huh? Why would we be waiting for anyone?" I asked him.

"Ayy Jinan!" Bobby shouted as he ran up to Jinhwan, "You're here too Jennie? Wait you guys know each other?" he questioned, spotting Jinhwan's hand which was grabbing onto my bag.

"This is the girl I've been telling you guys about. My best friend." Jinhwan stated.

"It was you??" Yunhyeong exclaimed as he soon caught up, followed by Hanbin and Jisoo at the back.

"You know them?" I asked in surprise. What a small world.

Jinhwan nodded and explained, "Remember I was telling you I have this group of friends? I didn't want to introduce you to them so soon because well, they're all guys. This is just half of them though."

"Can't I make friends with guys? Psh. Ah, right, this is Jisoo." I said, making way slightly so that Jisoo was standing in front. She raised her hand up and gave him a small wave.

He waved back in response, "Hi, I'm Jinhwan. You're pretty." he commented, eliciting a chuckle from her.

"Hey, stop trying to hit on Jisoo, I called dibs on her first." Yunhyeong spoke, placing an arm around Jisoo's shoulder casually.

"Woah, okay chill, not hitting on her." Jinhwan argued.

"I'm watching you, Jinan." Yunhyeong said in a teasing manner. 

God, this is going to take forever. "Can we just go?" I interrupted, realising that Hanbin and I said it at the same time.

"Let's go let's go guys!" Bobby prodded, slapping Yunhyeong's arm off Jisoo before placing his arm around her shoulder instead, leaving us behind. 

Yunhyeong widened his eyes and yelled, going after Bobby, "How dare you, Kim Jiwon!"

Jinhwan came forward and linked his arm with mine, pulling me along. "Finally!" I exclaimed, making my way towards the cafeteria. I looked over my shoulder. There was Hanbin tagging behind, his hands placed in his pockets. I wondered if that monotonous freak was even able to spill more than five words a day.
 



Time really flies. We've finally completed our first year in high school. Four months in this school and I've made friends, that was quite an achievement for me. Jisoo and I have been getting along with each other so far. I've been spending more time with her than Jinhwan lately. I didn't mind though. It was nice to have a female friend for a change. I was also starting to get closer to Yunhyeong and Bobby as well, since we have been spending most of our time together ever since the project. As for Hanbin, we do communicate sometimes. He was less of a monotone now, but it still needed improvement. That's a pretty great start though. However, I feel like there is something more about him and I am going to find out more.
 


 

 

the writer's words

I think this chapter's really rushed and a little confusing... The words in italic are acutally flashbacks, which means it happened a year ago, when Jennie was still in the first year, basically how Jennie got close with Jisoo and the guys. I hope that clears a few things up! I don't think there will be any more flashbacks in the next few chapters, but we'll see how it goes.

< a tori creation >