First Class

For The Love of Dance

This one's a long one sorryyyyy~


Saturday had finally arrived and you woke in the morning with an anxious feeling in your stomach. All this time you had been excited for the class and were honestly looking forward to it, but now you were feeling more nervous than anything.

It had just been so long since you had been to a dance class. The friendliness that Jongup displayed through his emails gave you a little more confidence, but you were not going to know literally anybody else there. And that scared you a lot.

‘I just hope I actually talk.’ you mumbled to yourself as you picked out clothes for the class. Track pants? Leggings? you didn’t even know what to wear it was stressing you out now.

you got your ipod out and started playing some soothing music to calm yourself a bit. you didn’t want to eat because your stomach felt so unwell.

Knock knock knock

“Come in.” you said not looking at the door, still rummaging through your clothes trying to pick something that would make a good impression but still was comfortable enough to dance in.

“You haven’t come out of your room all day, Rina.” your brothers calm voice said behind you.

You let out a small sigh dropping the clothes in your hands on the bed, “Yoongi oppa, I’ve got my first dance class today,” you turned around and walked up to him, “this is important.” You said, grabbing his shoulders and giving them a gentle shake to make him understand your panic. He didn’t react to it at all keeping a straight face and barely moving in his place.

He put his hands in his jeans pockets and leaned against the doorframe, “Why are you stressing so much about how you look? Everyone’s gonna be covered in sweat by the end of the class anyway.” He shrugged, seriously not understanding.

“First impressions are important! I want to make a good one.” you went back to rummaging through your clothes. you picked up two different shirts and held them against yourself showing Yoongi, “this one? Or this one?” alternating between the two shirts.

He chuckled quietly, but then looked at you seriously, actually trying to decide on which shirt, “…hmm….the white one. Definitely,” he said pointing at the white shirt in your hand.

You looked to the blue one in your other hand and then look at them against yourself in the mirror. Yoongi watched in silence looking a little annoyed that this was a big deal. “…I’m going with the blue.” you said tossing the white one aside, and earning a small laugh from Yoongi who immediately turned to walk out of the room saying “why do I even try” shutting the door behind him.

What did he know! ‘this is a nice shirt’ you mumbled to yourself looking at the blue coloured material in your hands.

You put on a light amount of makeup, just to cover up some minor blemishes. You were never comfortable leaving the house without any makeup on anyway, but the thought of sweating it all off from dancing worried you a bit. Why was this such a big deal to me? you thought about it and tried to calm yourself down…it wasn’t going to be as scary as I was thinking it was going to be…right?

-

You were finally ready to go to the dance class, full of nerves but trying your hardest to suppress all those worries. You kept telling yourself you would be fine and that the class would be fun. ‘Just think about all those dance videos you watched the other night. How fun did that look.’ Your thoughts went on, trying to calm your nerves.

Your mum drove you all the way to the dance studio, stopping the car right out the front of the entrance. looking at the doors made your hands start to tremble a little bit.

“Do you want me to go in with you?” she asked, noticing your hands.

Thinking for a moment, you took a couple slow breaths, “…I should be fine, thanks mum!” you said going to open the door and get out.

“Alright, have fun!” she said, before you shared a goodbye and you shut the car door. She drove off as soon as she could see you step inside.

You took slow and cautious steps inside the studio, looking around at everything. The big mirrors that you saw in the picture on their website, those shiny floorboards, you were looking right at it in real life now. Except now it was full of people…

A dance class was already going on, it looked like the popping class. There was a brown haired guy who looked a bit lanky taking the class who was very good at isolations, you were a little bit mesmerised by how good he was, you watched for a bit before realising that you should probably go find that guy you emailed the other day…Jongup…

There was a small reception desk over one side of the studio, a few people were crowded around it. You noticed him, the man looked exactly like the small icon of the email you had been replying to. Moon Jongup. The guy didn’t stop smiling, it made you want to smile it was the slightest bit contagious. He was busy having a conversation with someone and you didn’t want to interrupt. You didn’t realise you were staring at his perfectly shaped smile and his eyes met yours when he finished his conversation. He raised his eyebrows at you a little as if he didn’t know you. Well, he didn’t really know you…

“Hi.” There was that beautiful smile again, causing you to smile back straight away, “Are you a new student?” he asked politely.

“Yes,” you nodded, “I emailed you the other night, Rina.” You said in the same polite manner.

“Ah I’m glad you came!” he smiled, walking around the desk and over to a tall guy with blonde hair and tapping him on the shoulder. The boy spun around looking at Jongup. His face was cute, almost like a baby, but he was so tall it was a little intimidating. “Rina, this is the teacher for intermediate hip hop, Junhong.” Junhong….he looked at me and gave me smile nodding his head a little.

He let out a shy “Hi.” And his bright smile shun through even brighter, making him look more like a baby.

“Hi, nice to meet you.” I said returning the smile.

“You got yourself a new student, buddy.” Jongup said lightly hitting Junhong’s shoulder, “almost time for your class.” He said walking back to the desk.

Junhong took a step closer to you, “You’re my only new student for today,” he said looking down at you, “normally there’s more coz it’s a new semester now..hmm…weird.” he was almost just talking to himself now. You weren’t really sure how to respond…or if you were even meant to

You looked at the clock and there was still another 5 minutes until Junhong’s class started, everyone was standing around very casually having conversations and watching the popping class do their stuff. I couldn’t stop watching how good the teacher was at dancing. Junhong was just standing right next to you watching as well, maybe he was mesmerised too.

“Have you done a lot of dancing in the past?” he asked still watching the popping teacher.

“Uh..yeah…a long time ago now, but it’s always been something I enjoyed.” He nodded along to your answer very casually.

“It should only ever be something enjoyable right?” he said smiling. You nodded back at his reply. The music that the popping class was using was a bit too loud to make too much conversation.

Some other students walked up to Junhong and started talking to him a bit. It seemed as though everyone here had already formed bonds with each other. It was just like it was a bunch for friends coming to do dance classes, even Junhong was treating them all like close friends and he was the teacher…

“Sorry what was your name again?” Junhong’s voice piped up again, sounding a little embarrassed that he forgot your name. it was no big deal to you, you didn’t expect everyone to remember after hearing it once.

“Rina.” I smiled.

“Ah, Rina, this is Kim.” He said introducing me to a girl around the same height as me. We exchanged hellos and shook hands. She seemed really nice, everyone here seemed nice. At least Junhong was trying to make you talk to more people. Your smiles felt real but they also felt like they were just there to cover all your fears at the same time. You were constantly trying to calm those nerves.

The class finally started and you stood next to Kim who stayed at the back of the class. A few more confident students stood right at the front of the class, you wondered when you would be able to do that.

He started with a warm up. Even the way Junhong warmed up looked cool. No matter what he did it looked good. Before the class even started properly you could tell that he was a good dancer. As soon as he started getting into teaching some choreography you felt yourself lagging behind a little bit. You had always been good at picking up choreography quickly, why was it so hard now?

You could see Junhong looking directly at you a couple of times in the mirror, every time you noticed; it made your heart pound a little faster. You were a bit worried that he was making sure you were getting things right. You felt more pressured when he looked at you, also there was something intimidating about his height and the fact he was so good at dancing that made you sweat.

It didn't matter because after learning more of the choreography you and everyone else in the class were sweating even just a little bit.

He gave the class a couple of drink breaks throughout the class and people seemed to chat amongst each other a bit, whereas you stayed very quiet even in the breaks, you didn't even talk to Kim because she was too busy talking to some other girls in the class. You were too afraid to in to their conversation though.

Despite the fact that you were so nervous and didn't talk to people all that much, you found the class so enjoyable and Junhong's teaching technique was really easy to get a hang of, he seemed to be very considerate of those who were not as fast at catching on to the choreography, he seemed very happy with the fact that he was able to share the love of dancing with all of his students. And even though you didn't have the confidence to talk to any of the other students they all seemed very friendly and down to earth. If only you could have built up a bit more confidence.

Once the lesson was over, Junhong thanked everyone for coming and all the students walked over to grab their bags creating a big hoard of sweaty dancers, trying to squeeze through to get to their bags. I didn't want to try and squeeze through and just let everyone get their bags first. While I was standing back waiting for everyone to get their things, Junhong stepped over to me after unplugging his phone from the speakers.

"Hey, Rina," he said with that cute baby-like smile of his, "really, thanks for coming today, it means a lot haing new students come in." he seemed so sincere in his words, he really was thankful.

"No worries," you smiled, "I had a lot of fun today! can't wait to come back next week." the crowd of people slowly clearing you started to make your way to your bag.

"I'm glad," he said biting his lower lip a little in his smile, "yeah see you next week then." you nodded, smiling back at him.

You knew your mum was probably waiting in the car outside for you so you tried to grab your bag as quickly as possible, waving goodbye to Junhong and Jongup as you stepped out of the studio and into the fresh air. There was a slight breeze that was cooling your body and it felt so refreshing. You could see your mum's car parked up further down the road, lightly jogging towards it before hopping straight in the passenger seat.

"Hey," she said to you happily seeing your preppy jog to the car, "So how was it?" she asked in anticipation.

"It was heaps of fun! I'm really excited to go back." you said putting your seat belt on, ready to go home and rest.

You told her about Jongup, and Junhong, and Kim, and all the things that Junhong taught and all the friendly people. You were excited to talk to Youngjae about today as well.