Balance

For The Love of Dance

You had spent all of Sunday recovering, and it was finally Monday once again. The stress of exams coming near started to get to you as well as the stress of the end of year concert with your dance classes.

You stopped at your locker first thing in the morning before all your classes, and to your surprise someone was already there.

Youngjae was standing next to your locker, intentionally waiting for you or not,  you weren’t sure, but you were so happy to see him. You gave him a big hug when you saw him, apologising for being a drunk idiot on Saturday night. He just laughed at you, and it made you wonder about how you had never seen Youngjae really drunk before. He was never interested in drinking alcohol, and to be honest you weren’t any more interested in it than he was, you just somehow happened to do it more than him. He knew when to stop though, he was much more responsible than you. But he always seemed to get enjoyment out of watching you be drunk.

You got your all the books that you needed out of your locker and put back the ones you didn’t need. Today seemed like it was going to be an okay day despite all the stress. Things were going well.

~~~

It was your last lesson of the day, your usual math class with Youngjae and Mr. Jung. You and Youngjae talked casually like any other lesson until the bell rang for the end of class and you were all dismissed and eager to go home.

“Rina can you stay back for a moment?” Mr. Jung’s voice rang from his desk before you had a chance to even get close to leaving the class. You agreed and sat in your place, still putting your books away. Youngjae gestured to you that he would wait outside for you.

You grabbed your bag and approached his desk once all the other students had left.

“Rina, I’m sure you’re aware that exams are coming up soon.” You nodded at his statement, “and I’m sure you’re also aware that this is your senior year and that makes the exams very important.” He was sounding very stern. It wasn’t like the usual Mr. Jung, it scared you a little, where was he going with this? You nodded again, already feeling the pressure of exams on you now.

“Rina, your class work is going very well, despite how much you chat to your friends,” Okay so maybe me and Youngjae were some of the chattiest in the class, we still got our work done, “But what I’m concerned about is all the homework I’ve set you, you seem to be falling behind the rest of the class in terms of homework assignments that I’ve set. Is there anything going on in your life that you think might be getting in the way of you completing your homework on time?” So that’s what this was about.

You shook your head a little bit, looking very innocent and still in shock that you were the one person behind everyone in class, you were never that person. “The only commitment I have is my Saturday dance classes.” You said.

He nodded and thought for a bit, “Well, maybe that is what’s getting in the way of your learning. Maybe you should consider taking a break from the dance classes for a bit to focus more on school.”

You widened your eyes at his words, how could you give up your dance classes now, you were so close to the concert you would let everyone down if you did that.

Mr. Jung wasn’t finished, “I’m just concerned about your school work, Rina. I hope you understand where I’m coming from and take my words into consideration. This is your senior year, this is really important.” You nodded, you knew where he was coming from but that just didn’t seem like an option to you at all right now. “Okay, you can go now.” He gave you a small smile; no matter how handsome he was it didn’t make anything any better. You thanked him quietly and left the room, seeing Youngjae standing right at the door as soon as you stepped out.

“What did he want to talk to you about?” he asked casually, assuming it was nothing.

“He wants me to stop dance because it’s getting in the way of school.” You said without looking at him.

“What?” he raised his voice a bit, “But you can’t do that!”

“I know I can’t!” you yelled back, “I guess I’m going to have to find some kind of balance.” You shrugged, still in confusion of how you were going to do this.

Youngjae threw an arm around your shoulders, “I know you can get through it” he said happily, making you smile. You knew he was trying to cheer you up, and it was working, “Let’s go get ice cream from the school canteen and then head home. I’ll buy.” He enthusiastically dragged you along to the canteen, but your mind was still stuck on how you were going to balance dance practices and exam study, as well as whatever was going on between you and Junhong now. You knew Youngjae was really trying his best to cheer you up, you really appreciated the lengths he was going for you.

You got your ice creams and you were already feeling better. You felt like you could conquer anything.


another short chapter I'm sorry~ stress for Rina now what is she going to do???