The New Job

It Might Be You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Crowded streets

Traffic lights

It’s the first time in five years that she had tried to apply for work in the city again. She had already sworn off the city life when she got married, settled and had a beautiful child with her partner. But when life throws you a curve ball you just have to make up another play along the way.

“Excuse me! Excuse me!”

She tried to fight off the people around her. Good thing she did well farming and her biceps were firm enough, strong enough to push people aside.

Her arms created the space but it was really an extremely crowded street.

Gently of course

She looked up and saw the Jung Enterprise Building. It was the home of the largest fashion retail company in South Korea. Current CEO Jessica Jung had catapulted the company to international waters and is now currently expanding. It was a good time to apply.

It was always a good time.

Her reverie was put into a stop when something hits her knees.

A briefcase

“Sorry!” The guy walked passed her then entered the building too.

She looked at her slacks and saw a small rip. A sigh escaped her lips. Daegu would have been better if her wife was still alive. The silence, the simplicity, the warmth, everything about the place made her feel at peace.

Her wife’s unexpected goodbye saddened her and her family but she should stay strong. It was what her wife would have wanted. Joohyun would have wanted her to stay happy for their daughter. She promised it.

Her dying wish

I wish for happiness to stay in your heart, Seulgi-ah.

“You can do this Seulgi… You can do this…”

Ring! Ring! Ring!

Seulgi scrambled to get her phone as she gets bumped by passersby every now and then.

Rush hour really in the city.

“Hello?” She asked as she tried to get an identification card for the receptionist.

“Appa!”

“Yeri-ah… Why are you awake already? Did you eat breakfast? Be a good girl and listen to halmoni okay?”

“Yes Appa! Goodluck. I hope you get the job. Please come home early.”

Seulgi smiled at her little girl’s voice. At least her aegyo resembled that of Joohyun’s and not hers. It would have been for the worse if Yeri followed her footsteps.

She had her charm though.

“Omma is always watching us Appa. Saranghae!”

“Nado Saranghae my little one…”

“Mianhe Seulgi-ah… She wanted to wish you goodluck.”

“It’s okay omma. I’ll be home soon. I’ll call as soon as I finish my interview.”

Seulgi ends the call then walked towards the big building. Her heartbeat was pounding on her ears but it was a good thing. There must be something inside this building that would bring her goodluck.

She didn’t know it yet. But the moment she stepped into the large building was going to change her life forever.

@@@@@@@

She didn’t know how long the she had been sleeping but the voice certainly isn’t helping her desire to continue her slumber.

“Yah….”

She felt someone nudge her, but she didn’t care. It was another late night and she was not intending to be waking up early today.

“Yah…”

The voice got a little stern and the nudge had some force to it now. Whoever this was sure had the balls to use that kind of tone to her. Her mother and father were not around. She would assume it was her sister. She still doesn’t care though. Her sleep was more important.

“YAH!”

She felt her body being pushed out of the bed to face the angry Jessica Jung.

“You’re supposed to go in today! Get up and prepare! I told you not to stay out late a hundred times…” The voice died down on the last sentence.

As hard headed as she was, Krystal didn’t get up but simply went back to bed. Jessica saw this. Before Krystal could say foul, the older woman threw a pillow at her.

“You promised you’d help me run it when you come back. Aren’t you done moping around that good for nothing ex of yours? You have travelled the world already! Please stop moping and finding that inner whatever.” Jessica whined like a child and Krystal could hardly tolerate it when she’s like that.

Besides, her big sister was right.

She did make a promise.

Two years after the break-up she should be as good as new by now. Krystal wants to be. But it doesn’t really help when your ex works on the same company as your sister.

She lets out a breath then stands up.

“I’m done moping, Unnie. Stop with that aegyo… They’ll say the ice queen has gone soft because of Kwon Yuri.”

“Yah! Don’t do dare talk about your sister-in-law that way. She has not made me soft.”

But everybody knows Jessica Jung has become a softie all because of Kwon Yuri. Her sister-in-law was so much of a charmer that she gets away with everything but melting Jessica’s heart.

She was faithful, but too charming for her own good.

“Hope you get a goodnight sleep telling yourself that Unnie.” Krystal smirked then took her towel.

“Oh, I want to surprise the interviewees. I’m going incognito later. I hope that’s alright.” Peeking from the bathroom door, she waited for her sister’s reply.

“They’ll be your staff. I don’t care what you do to them.”

“Really?” Krystal asked with an evil grin on her face.

“Really. I don’t care. Just go get ready you slow poke!” Jessica whined then plopped herself to bed.

By the time Krystal was done fixing herself up, she found Jessica already sleeping on her bed.

@@@@@@@

Seulgi rubbed her nape nervously. Since when did qualifications for personal assistants need exams? The Human Resource Personnel told them it was just for standard testing.

Seulgi felt like she was having final exams all over again.

The questions were ranging from personal to algebraic problems. IQ test were okay but it has been a while since she did something as technical as algebra. Math, she can use every day. Algebra? Not so much.

Just then someone bursts into the exam room with sunglasses looking sophisticated and all. She looked like she just came from a photo shoot and was not up for a job interview.

Seulgi heard gasps but continued with her work.

“How rude… So late for schedules…” A voice behind her says.

“She should have just rescheduled. 100% she won’t get the job. Look at her… She looks like she has gone back from a club.”

Although she felt intrigued, Seulgi concentrated on the task at hand. Tuning out the murmurs and gossips, she tried her best to do well on the exam. It had been years and her old job in Daegu included farming as well as auto mechanics so this type of exam wasn’t really in her practice.

“Seulgi-ah aniyo!”

Joohyun hurriedly ran to her and saw blood on her fingers. She had just cut herself trying to use the sickle for the first time.

“I told you to just stick with the paper work. We have those since we sell in the market.”

Seulgi shook her head then kissed her wife as the la

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter