Part I

A numinous gift

 

 

There is a cozy homestead in the mortal world, sitting on a peaceful land halfway up the hill which overlooks a resplendent garden called Neverwhere - the gateway to the fairyland. 

 

 

It is also not too far away from the bustling modernized city life of the human’s, just the perfect spot between the two worlds.

 

 

Myabe it is because, a half-blood scholar and a fairy princess reside there, who are commonly known as the “key holders” by the peoples. They are the ones who have reunited the two worlds after centuries of separation. 

 

 

Wendy Son Seungwan is the half-blood whose father, Ian, is a prince and her mother is a mortal possessing the ability to travel between the worlds before the reunion and also the precious knowledge about both worlds. Therefore, Wendy is now a notable scholar who actively helps integrate the two worlds better with her wisdom and kindness, alongside her mentor Professor Collins. She also got a half-sister named Joy, who is a mortal. While Joy has another story with Kang Seulgi, part of a royal fairy family.

 

 

And the princess is called Irene, but she prefers being called Joohyun. You might have already known, she is married to the half-blood, which is fate, really. She is legitimately Wendy’s other half because she got the same ability as her. The only difference is that Princess Irene is mainly in charge of the benevolence part while Wendy is responsible for being the brain and educating peoples. They make a good team, for sure.

 

 

Whereas Kang Seulgi is Joohyun’s best friend and cousin, and Kim Yerim is another cousin who loves to eat and starts to like Wendy more than Joohyun.

 

 

Oops, enough introduction. Let’s get back to the house and its owners.

 

 

 

The story of Wendy and Joohyun has become a fairytale spreading through every alley and every corner in both worlds. And their house is often visited by different kind of peoples. Sometimes it is because they do need help from the couple. While most of the time, it is because they are their fans.

 

 

And so, Joohyun has this weird idea not long after their wedding. She once brought it up to Wendy but it scared her away. Wendy even locked herself up in their bedroom that night, refusing to let Joohyun in until the next morning.

 

 

On second thought, the princess still doesn’t think it is such an embarrassing idea, especially after discussing with the king and queen, Ian, and Wendy’s uncle Franco. Joohyun just wants to have a child with Wendy. They are married and it is quite natural for them to form a family of their own. They are old enough and the worlds also need a legitimate descendant of them, which is most importantly, of their knowledge and their good, loving nature.

 

 

It took her months to convince and lure the stubborn, busy, and shy scholar. Surely, she has done her research beforehand. Since she practices magic, it is more than possible to conceive a baby even though they are both women.

 

 

On the other hand, Wendy has been brainwashed by the princess with cute baby videos and tv programs for months. She too slowly realizes it seems to be a natural stage in her life. Having a child with her other half is not a bad idea, right?  Not to mention Joohyun is very beautiful that at least they do not have to worry about their child’s appearance at all. 

 

 

So, Joohyun got two bottles of magical potion from the Grand Wizard one day, where she took one and poured another into Wendy’s coffee without her knowing. Well, you know what happened that night.

 

 

And yes, the house has a pregnant princess now.

 

 

“Seungwan!” A grumpy mother-to-be shouts when she herself has slumped to the couch lazily watching tv, “I wanna eat carrot cake! Make me one!”

 

 

A head soon peeps out from the study room, “What? But I’m working on a speech that is to be given to the kids this weekend. And the cake takes at least a few hours to make too! Are you that hungry? Why don’t you-”

 

 

“I just want carrot cakeeeeee!” She kicks her feet while holding her slightly-bulged belly with her hands, “I am not hungry but I want it so bad, Seungwan-ah.”

 

 

Heaving a deep sigh, Wendy marches out of the room and ruffles her wife’s silky, raven hair, “Easy, princess. Now I’m going to the nearest bakery to get you one, okay?”

 

 

 

“Nope, stupid.” Joohyun, however, reluctantly rejects and grabs a hold of Wendy’s petite hand. “I can make one with magic myself. I want a carrot cake that is made by you. They don’t taste the same, you should know that.”

 

 

“Alright.” The half-blood uses her other hand to pat the belly very tenderly, “I guess that speech can wait but my babies can’t. Get the ingredients ready in the kitchen. I’ll make you the most delicious carrot cake in no time, okay?”

 

 

“Okay!” Well there goes a delighted princess with a granted wish. She rubs her hands and pink sparkles begin to flicker between her delicate fingers. In a blink of an eye, all the ingredients for a carrot cake are on the kitchen counter.

 

 

Wendy is already very used to magic although she no longer uses it herself, and she heads off to grant Joohyun’s wish once again by giving her a kiss on the cheek.

 

 

Taking care of a pregnant woman is not the most pleasant task in any world. Joohyun has been a caring girl yet ever since she has a baby in her, she would become grumpy for the most random reason you can think of or plain emotional for no reason at all. It is a mystery that even Wendy can’t solve. Ian and the queen have given her tons of advice but it still shocks the poor girl every time whenever her pregnant half throws a tantrum without her doing anything wrong.

 

 

Thinking of last night, Wendy shakes her head lightly when she is adding sugar to the mixing bowl. Princess Irene just started weeping out of nowhere when they were about to sleep. It didn’t work even when Wendy sang to her. In the end, she kicked her off the bed because she suddenly regretted carrying the baby herself instead of Wendy.

 

 

Luckily, it only lasted for an hour. Joohyun soon returned to her normal self just before Wendy was about to cry too. Mood swings are common for mothers-to-be yet it seems so severe for this princess. The queen can only come and counsel her daughter once in a while whenever Wendy drags her back to her parents.

 

 

Wendy is exhausted night after night but she daren’t to sleep so quickly. Just in case Joohyun needs anything. She has to take care of two persons now. And tonight, Joohyun goes to bed joyfully because she got what she wants and the tv dramas today were great. So, the scholar gladly joins her in bed. 

 

 

She closes her tired eyes. Her limbs are heavy. One step closer to dreamland.

 

 

“Wendy! I think the baby is kicking me!” Joohyun literally yells at the top of her lungs the second the younger woman is about to fall asleep.

 

 

Drowsily, she sits upright asking, “Huh?”

 

 

“I said she’s kicking me!” Irene gives a soft push to Wendy’s shoulder and repeats rather impatiently.

 

 

“When and how do you know it’s a girl?” The drowsy one frowns and flops back down on the soft warm mattress.

 

 

“It’s in my body and I know it.” She grumbles as she pokes the half blood’s flat abdomen, “I can feel her, Seungwan-ah.”

 

 

“Hm. I believe you then.”

 

 

“Hey, it’s your daughter too.” 

 

 

 

So Wendy mentally slaps herself in the face to fight off her sleepiness, “Yes, I heard you loud and clear ma’am. My daughter it is.”

 

 

“We’d better start brainstorming for names by the way.”

 

 

“Cool… But may I sleep for now? I’ve applied for a leave in order to accompany you until you give labor, but Joohyun, it’ll only start next week.”

 

 

Hearing the strained weak voice, the princess complies and pulls the half-blood into an embrace as a quiet apology. So, Wendy can finally get some sleep.

 

 

 

That little baby can give her a real headache sometimes, even before she is born. And it is making Wendy already anxious about how her life would be after this daughter officially enters her life. 

 

 

Still, it is their daughter. And perhaps, she must spoil her at all costs nevertheless, just like how she spoils the princess.

 

 

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

 

 

Wendy is on leave and the couple has traveled to the gigantic royal castle. Ian and the king are sipping tea while the two ladies are reading all sorts of scrolls and books to get inspiration for the baby's name.

 

 

“Actually, Seungwan,” says Joohyun who clears and looks up from a thick book, “I want her to have your surname.”

 

 

“Argh, w-what?” The Son-surnamed woman nearly loses her balance on the chair and presses her palms on the desk, “A-are you sure about that? Have you asked your dad? I-”

 

 

Joohyun knows exactly how Wendy likes to blabber whenever she is puzzled or nervous, so she holds her hand and cuts her off, “He said yes.”

 

 

“Oh.” Wendy traces circles with her fingers on the princess’s palm, “But you are carrying the baby so I want to give you some credit too.”

 

 

“It’s okay.” She smiles. At this moment, all of a sudden, she thinks she should be the happiest person ever. She is having a child with someone loves her and she loves.

 

 

“Maybe I would put 'Hyun' in her name too or something.” She chuckles scratching her head. “I’ve always liked it rings while calling your name.”

 

 

Exchanging a sweet smile, they bury themselves in words again, wanting to give their daughter the best name in all worlds.

 

 

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

 

 

Seulgi the brave bear is pacing around the room like a headless bird and Joy is trying to catch her from behind. Whilst Yeri is sitting on a chair in silence. 

 

 

Ian and Franco are looking at each other and exchange nervous looks. The king and queen are staring at the marble floor. Collins is standing in the middle of the room like a statue. 

 

 

They are all waiting. They all know there would be no danger but they can’t wait to meet the newborn. 

 

 

Minutes pass, and hours, before some weak whimpers can be heard. They all know it is the signal.

 

 

So they push the door open with Ian leading the group at the front, and are greeted by the new family.

 

 

 

“Folks.” Wendy, perching right next to the bed, turns around and lifts a warm smile although they can see the tear stains on her face. “Come and meet our daughter.”

 

 

And so, they divert their gazes to the princess on the bed and the baby in her arms.

 

 

“Hey there, tiny little one.” Ian waves a little. And he just remembers the day when Wendy was born. 

 

 

“What’s her name?” The king excitedly asks and his queen is too overwhelmed to say anything, as well as the younger ones.

 

 

“We have decided it together,” Joohyun weakly speaks up. She is recovering rather fast since she is not a mortal anyway, “Her name is Son Hyunae.”

 

 

“We want her to be someone who has wisdom and is loving,” Wendy continues and her daughter’s pink cheek. What a fetching creature. It is their daughter and she just wants to give her all the love of both worlds.

 

 

“Just like the two of you.” Franco nods agreeing it is indeed a good name.

 

 

“Yes, just like a combination of you two.” Joy follows suit. “And that is perfect.”

 

 

 

The half-blood’s grin grows wider, “And since we both have an English name, she got one too.”

 

 

“It’s Aria.” The princess hands the baby to her other half as she speaks.

 

 

“It means a musical solo in an opera, right?” Seulgi wipes a tear and curiously raises the question since the name is somewhat familiar. 

 

 

“Wendy-unnie sings well, right?” Yeri claps as she has her big eyes glued onto the new-born ever since she sets foot in the room. “So there are traits of you two in her names! She’d get all the good things from both of you!”

 

 

“It is also related to birds,” Wendy carries the baby very gently and walks up to their friends and relatives, “We want her to fly high and sings freely like one.”

 

 

“I love the names.” Seeing the baby with her own eyes finally, the queen finds it hard to hold back those tears. “Oh, she’s so beautiful.”

 

 

“Man, I mean look at her parents.” Ian laughs whole-heartedly and Franco does the same.

 

 

“Can I hold her?” The king anxiously trims his beard before spreading his arms to welcome his grandchild. 

 

 

“Of course.” Wendy carefully places Son Hyunae into the king’s manly’s embrace. 

 

 

“May I hold her hand?” Joy squeals in joy, making Seulgi and Yeri giggle.

 

 

 

“Yes, yes. Just don’t scare her.” Wendy then leaves her dear daughter to her family and goes back to her wife’s side, “Hey, love. How’re you doing?”

 

 

She tilts her head and reaches out for the younger’s hand, “Never better. Oh, thank lord, I’ve finally brought her here.”

 

 

“Thanks to you.” She brings her hand to her lips, “It must have been hard for you all this time. I love you.”

 

 

“I’m sorry for giving you a hard time too.” Joohyun interlaces their fingers. “I love you too and let’s raise her well, shall we?”

 

 

“Sure.”

 

 

 

“Wendy, she just winked at me!” Franco exclaims and interrupts their little moment.

 

 

“No, she was winking at me!” Joy playfully nudges her uncle.

 

 

“Don’t be too loud around her, okay?” Seulgi stops them timely.

 

 

“She’ll be a happy girl growing up in this big family, no?” Wendy watches them and lifts a bright smile.

 

 

“Yeah, I’m sure she’ll be loved by many.” Joohyun also smiles as her other half leans her head against hers.

 

 

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

 

 

Taking care of a baby is far harder than these first-time parents have expected. No one knows why a-few-months-old Son Hyunae can be so energetic and already knows how to use magic. There is one time when she almost killed Franco’s “cat” while crying for her mothers, and it ended with it turning back into a pegasus and destroying quite a number of furniture because the room is way too small for a flying horse.

 

 

And she always wants her mothers. Wendy and Irene have been trying to cater to their daughter’s every need as soon as possible. Every day they live solely around her. Getting milk, changing diapers, playing with her, teaching her things, and such form a never-ending cycle, which is kind of a nightmare for the couple.

 

 

Wendy, therefore, is still losing sleep, and so is Princess Irene. They occasionally fight and bicker whenever they cannot decide whose turn it is to do what.

 

 

It can be frustrating as Son Hyunae does not have a single idea of the very concept of time. She would cry in the middle of the night or early in the morning. Sometimes, out of hunger or other times just for the sake of calling the two women. It always interrupts her parents, making them more annoyed. Joohyun cannot imagine how mortal mothers deal with babies without have the help of magic. And Wendy once joked about how their daughter is indeed one of a kind.

 

 

Even the king and Ian think the almighty Son Hyunae would be one special girl when she grows up. While the queen thinks there is no chance for her grandchild to grow up as an elegant lady (or just, a typical princess), just like Princess Irene.

 

 

As for the aunties, Seulgi, Joy, and Yeri are the only hopes for the parents to catch a break whenever they pay them a visit. Franco is not exactly helpful as he is not good with little kids. 

 

 

 

“Do you think Hyun-ae’ll be smarter than other kids at this rate?” Joohyun casually asks her wife when they are enjoying their rare peaceful time since the little rascal is now in deep slumber.

 

 

“Yes, because I was.” Wendy lets out a childish laugh lying on their bed.

 

 

“Anyway, I want her to learn horsemanship and archery when she’s older. It’s quite some crucial skills to live in the Above. ”

 

 

“It’s a great idea. I bet she got a flair for it from you.”

 

 

“How about sending her to the united school, so that she can hang around with both peoples at a young age?”

 

 

“Superb, Joohyun.” Wendy hums and drapes an arm over her eyes. She has a day job apart from being a mother so she tends to be the more tired one as she always is.

 

 

So the princess gives a nice massage on her temples after laying her head on her lap, “Why don’t you get an apprentice like Collins so that you can ease up a bit?”

 

 

“I wanted to. But I can’t choose a suitable one from all the candidates. You know-” The half-blood stops in the middle of her sentence and her eyes widen to their maximum sizes once her now-sensitive parent ears have picked up the familiar whimpering, “She’s crying again?”

 

 

“I thought she would sleep for some hours.” Joohyun gets onto her feet in defeat, “I’ll go check on her, you rest for some more.”

 

 

“Okay, thanks Hyun.” 

 

 

 

Shuffling her feet in the fastest manner, the mother reaches the scene of the fuss her daughter is making and is about to flip a table - that tiny rascal is smiling towards her stupid face but she swears in the name of holy carrot cakes she heard Son freaking Hyun-ae was crying a minute ago.

 

 

So she can fake a cry now? When and where did she learn that? Was it Joy or Yeri or both? She swears once again Seungwan and her aren’t good at acting at all.

 

 

The princess kind of wants to just walk away from her cunning daughter and go back to her gentle wife’s side. But that rascal does something else to prevent her from leaving.

 

 

“M… Mo-m-mom.”

 

 

She speaks. Son Hyunae speaks with that creepy smile plastered on her small peachy face.

 

 

As if she has just seen a faceless ghost, the mother screams not caring if it would startle the little one, “Holy mother of sparkles, Son Seungwan! She just talked to me! She just...... Our daughter she, Hyun-ae, she......”

 

 

The other mother bolts up from the bed and shuffles her rather short legs, with her jaw dragging on the floor, “What? What? You sure? What did she say? Really? How?”

 

 

 

“M-ooo-m-om hehe mom, m-m-moom.”

 

 

The two are hugging each other tightly for their dear lives witnessing this truly magical moment. Suddenly, they both agree that this is totally worth all the work.  It feels like winning the lottery, it feels like it doesn’t matter anymore if they are losing sleep and getting bad skin for the rest of their lives.

 

 

Son Hyunae looks like she is laughing at her moms’ silly reaction while munching on her toes.

 

 

“I-is she calling us?” The older one sobs hard.

 

 

The younger one’s brain is still out of order for a bit, “I think so. Oh my stars......”

 

 

None of them would believe Son Hyun-ae just spoke her first word weeks before her first birthday. Who knows what she would be capable of when she gets older?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


And happy 1st anniversary to Red Velvet!

Hope you enjoy this as a gift :D

 

Anyway, big thanks to @sonsomething (Twitter) for helping me to think of the names <3

Lovely names for wenrene's daughter, no?

 

xo