Heartbreak at First Sight

First Sight

           He hummed as he aligned the flower pots. Peonies, roses, anemones. Beautiful pastel color dancing before his eyes. Jonghyun was never a big fan of something so girly, but his noona does, and that was what matters today. To make everything perfect for his sister, his only family, his soon-to-be-married older sister.

Even when the family was still together, noona was always his favorite. So when their parents got divorced, the fifteen year old Jonghyun back then impatiently wait until he was eighteen to move in with his sister rather than living with his cold, uncaring mother.

            The siblings were so close to one another, Sodam always tells his brother everything. From her happy days to her breakups, her promotion and her worries and everything in between. For her, Jonghyun was more than a younger brother, he was always her superhero, shielding her from the bad and the worse. The lanky, cowardly little Jonghyunnie always thrived the hardest to grow into one fine young man, all for sheltering his precious noona. So when Sodam came with the big news, Jonghyun couldn’t be happier for her. She was finally going to marry the man of her dreams.

            Jonghyun had heard a lot about Jinki from Sodam during the short period of their relationship, but had yet to meet him personally, but as far as he was told (and provided with similar information from his own personal investigation) he believed that Jinki was indeed a good man. Jonghyun couldn’t wait to finally meet his soon to be brother in law and confirmed the rumour himself.  

            “Jjong, we’re already on our way home.  We’ll be there in ten minute, tops.” Sodam sang trough the receiver as she phoned her brother. Jonghyun chuckled, even when she tried to hide it with the cheerful tone, noona’s nervousness was still showing. Well, it was understandable, though.

During the twenty two years of his life, Jonghyun had had a few partners, both boys and girls and he was not ashamed to declare that he swings both sides. But he never felt that he had found the one. Sure he felt his butterflies and had moments where his head was foggy from the kisses, but none of them ever felt like they were the one he wanted to spend his forever with. Ah, well, he was still young. His time had just begun. He knew one day he would find someone and that he would be the anxious one while bringing his partner home to meet Sodam. The time would surely come, he grinned to himself.

            The door bell rang.

            He practically ran to the door, still grinning so widely, he opened the door.

The fresh scent of summer breeze flew in as the man of his dream stood right before him. The man was undeniably handsome, but it was not his beauty that stuns Jonghyun on his feet. It was neither his sharp, bright eyes nor his sweet, little smile. It was neither the way he dresses nor the way his dark brown locks were styled.  There was just something so special about the man in front of him. Something beautiful.

            “Ah, you must be Jonghyun, right?”

            His nasally voice was deep and velvety, every syllable was pronounced clear. There. He had a voice to match his look. The man laughed a little, his eyes got smaller. If his voice was a chocolate bar, then his laugh was a premium chocolatier’s bonbon.

            Is this the glorified love at first sight?

            “Yah, Jjong. Say something.” A familiar voice break the short silence. Only then Jonghyun realized that his sister was also there, and that the man’s hand was interlocking with Sodam's.

            “Oh, is this?” uttered Jonghyun, face puzzled.

            “Yes. I’m Lee Jinki. Nice to meet you, Jonghyun-sshi.” The man smiled again, then after shyly glancing at Sodam, he beamingly continued, “I’m your noona’s boyfriend.”

            Oh.

            So this is the heartbreak at first sight.