Hallucinations

The Running Man Challenge

Jonghyun stared at his empty palms as his hands rested on his thighs. He had no idea where or when he had dropped the keys. He felt the terror creep slowly in his head again. Not only were the keys somewhere in the big building, but so was also the Guard. And he was on the move again. The steps were approaching - or were they fading? Jonghyun couldn't tell. And he wouldn't try to find it out, that was sure.

For the love of God I can't take this. I should just give up. Yeah, that's a good idea. I'll just-

Silent chinking got Jonghyun's attention. He hold his breath and leaned harder on the pillar. It was coming from somewhere near. The escalator. He had dropped the keys while climbing up the escalator. It was only a few meters away from Jonghyun. The Guard was only a few meters away from Jonghyun. He slowly rose up his hand pressed over his mouth to keep the shaky breaths silent. Hearkening, Jonghyun swallowed and regretted it a second later when the salvia got stuck in his throat leaving him coughing like a mad man. He tried to cut it out desperately but there was no stopping the reflex. Jonghyun couldn't even stand straight for the coughs were so strong he had too bend down. The second he finally got his lungs under control he knew he was more screwed than the day he had accidentally dropped ketchup on Kibum's new jeans. The steps were near, fast, and this time Jonghyun knew it for sure.

 

One.

 

Two.

 

Three.

 

He was coming closer. The fear had taken over Jonghyun who couldn't move his legs. His heart was bounding so fast he could hear it in his ears. Pressed tightly against the pillar Jonghyun could only listen the steps closing in.

 

Four.

 

Five.

 

Jonghyun heard  how the keys chinked on every second pace. He had no plan of an escape. Nothing. The Guard being so close already there was no use for running. The shopping corridor that he was facing was a dead end. His game was about to be over.

 

Six.

 

Seven.

 

Silence.

 

Jonghyun, too frightened to even breathe, stood frozen with his eyes riveted to the big advertisement poster on the wall at the end of the corridor. It was covered with a glass and from it he could see a faint reflection of himself and a someone standing on his right side. A dark, tall figure was all he could make out of it for most of the lighting came from behind him. And a red color edging the shoulders and arms. He wasn't moving. Jonghyun had an odd feeling that the man watched him back through the reflection even though he couldn't see his eyes. He could hear his almost silent breathing just beside his ear. Shivers ran up Jonghyun's spine all the way to his nape leaving goose bumps on his skin. Lips and throat drier than the Sahara and hands trembling, Jonghyun let his head turn slowly to the right preparing to run for his life. He faced another wall and an empty corridor beside him. No sign of anyone. Totally dumbfounded, Jonghyun let out the air he had been holding in his lungs for who knows how long.

Wh-what?!

He - he was just there! He was - wasn't he?

Jonghyun turned back to look at the glass and the reflection showed only an empty corridor.

H-he was-

He looked again to his right at that's when a tall silhouette stepped from behind the pillar and left standing right beside Jonghyun whose face lost the remaining color it still had.

"O-oh God", Jonghyun whispered and his legs gave out. He tried to get a hold from the pillar to stay standing only to fail miserably. What he didn't see coming was a strong hand that got a grip of his upper arm and saved him from hitting the ground. Jonghyun clung instinctively to the man's arm and his whole body was shaking. Trying to find his feet again he leaned against the man who offered him support, heart bounding in his throat and breaths heavy. There was something familiar but Jonghyun couldn't tell what.

"You know", a voice that Jonghyun had heard a million times before said. "If it wasn't you, I would've ripped that name tag off long ago."

Jonghyun's legs had started to work again and he raised his gaze only to see Minho standing in front of him with an amused smile on his face. The shorter one gave him a murderous glance before dropping his head to catch his breath. Minho laughed and patted him on the back but didn't touch the name tag.

"I will kill you later", Jonghyun huffed and straightened himself. "You've got my keys?"

Minho took the keys from his pocket and waved them before Jonghyun's eyes but didn't give them to him.

"They have a price", he only said, grinning like an idiot, and put them back into his pocket.

"And what would that b... W-why are you coming closer?" Jonghyun backed up when Minho stepped forward. This continued until Jonghyun's lower back touched the corridor's fence and Minho placed his hands on the railing trapping Jonghyun between him and the fence.

"So... " Minho said with a fruity voice and raised his eyebrows as he leaned closer. "Shall we discuss price?"