EPILOGUE

The Heat

23 & 24

 

The worst thing Kai has ever done to you, you think, is leaving you in university while he graduated. Being a year your senior, he got to leave uni earlier. It's unfair, really. Because he has always been with you ever since your second semester in uni. And then he left, after spending just a year and a half with you in school, most of the time pasted to your side. He promised that nothing much would change and though you didn't believe him at first, he didn't go back on his word.

Everyday after classes, he would fetch you back from uni. The only difference was that he no longer walked you to classes during his free periods. You missed those times, truthfully. You felt out of place and you were unusually quiet without your boyfriend. University was a terrible place for you to go to for the next year or so.

It is only on the day of your graduation that you are back to your bubbly and talkative self. Because graduating means being less stressed over deadlines and homework, and graduating means seeing Jongin more. But graduating also means looking for a job and working. You do not really want to work, you've heard enough of complaints from your mother and your brother to not want to impose the same fate on yourself. Lucky for Kai though, he can easily work in his father's company if he isn't able to find a job. At least he has it easy for him.

Your parents have come down from Bucheon just for your graduation. Even Suho took a day off from work to attend. Your boyfriend is here as well, not missing the ceremony for the entire world. The celebratory dinner consists of a pair of pearl earrings from your parents, a cardholder from your brother and an expensive bag from your boyfriend. You had thought the bag was the last of your presents. But it isn't.

"Good night," Suho ruffles your hair as you stand outside the restaurant, saying your goodbyes.

You look at him weirdly, "You're not coming home?"

He grins at you, his eyes flickering to Kai for a second. "You're the one who isn't coming home."

You frown, not understanding a word. He chuckles and nods at Kai before stepping back to give way for your parents to greet you. It is only when you're left alone with your boyfriend, watching your family leave, does Jongin catch your attention. He rubs your back gently and you turn to him.

"I wanna bring you somewhere," he murmurs, eyes soft on you.

"Where? A bakery?" You step closer to him, your height difference once again obvious as your head only reaches his shoulders. You look up at him, grinning slightly, "I think I deserve a cake, don't you think, Jongin?"

"Do you want a cake?" he chuckles, swiping the bottom of your eye with his thumb as he rests his palm on the side of your face. You lean into his hand. You nod your head and he smiles, "Okay. We'll buy cake then."

So you and Kai go on your way to your favourite bakery. The ride there is quiet, but yet full of flirty glances, shy smiles and stolen kisses. When Kai stops the car in front of the bakery, he stops you from unbuckling your seatbelt.

"I'll go," he says, hand on the door handle.

"But their menu changes everyday," you point out. "I don't know what I want yet."

"I'll buy one of everything," he reassures, leaning towards you a little. You give him a kiss on the lips and he hums when you pull back. "I'll be back in a sec, wait here, okay?"

You bob your head and he's gone. You watch him walk into the bakery, his head up and eyes in front of him. Kai no longer walks with his shoulders hunched and eyes down anymore. You had asked him before regarding this issue.

"People like to believe what they see and hear, you know?" Kai murmured, playing with your hair as you laid your head on his chest, listening to his heartbeat in the night. "People saw me as a monster. And I felt like a monster. I didn't want to be seen."

"So that's why you always walk like you're trying to hide yourself!" you exclaimed, hitting his abdomen lightly.

He chuckled and grabbed your hand to wrap it around his waist so that you're hugging him like a bolster. "People see me getting into fights and they hear from others that I'm a gangster... I kind of just wanted to run from their words, you know what I mean?" He sighed, nosing your hair and taking in a deep breath.

"You know," you looked up at him so that his nose was at your hairline, lips on your forehead. He dropped a kiss on your temple. "Sometimes I think people who see themselves as normal aren't very normal." Kai raised an eyebrow at your statement. "Maybe the mental illness they have is so common that it's normal."

"And what mental illness is that?" Your boyfriend laughed softly, rubbing your arm.

"Hmm," you tried to think of something. You only ended up with, "Judgmental issues."

Kai snickered, gathering you closer to him. His lips were close to your ear, grazing your earlobe when he mumbled, "Why are you so cute?"

You smile briefly as you reminisce that moment. It used to be a feat to get Jongin to smile but now, after three years, it is almost too easy to have him to laugh. You're startled when the car door opens all of a sudden, your eyes wide as you whip around to face the intruder. Jongin is staring at you, an eyebrow raised.

"You okay, babe?" he asks, placing the box of cakes on your lap. 

You let out a relieved breath and adjust the box. You shake your head, "You just scared me." 

"Why? Guilty of something?" he teases. "Thinking of another guy, maybe?" 

You roll your eyes, shaking your head. He has grown so much over the years, he even likes joking with you now. Jongin laughs as he buckles up. He starts driving and you remember that he's bringing you somewhere. "Where are we going?" 

He grins at you. "You'll see."
 

page-divider.png

 

"Jongin, I'm going to ruin my cakes!" you whine when your boyfriend covers your eyes as you walk. He sniggers and takes the box from you instead. "Where are we going," you grumble, huffing a little because it's kind of late and you just really want to have your cakes.

"Just a bit more, darling," he hushes, guiding you to walk with his body pressed against yours, so you're just following him.

You continue to grumble under your breath because you know Kai won't listen anyway. You ride an elevator with your body being wrapped securely in your boyfriend's arms, his cheek resting on the top of your head. The lift stops and he brings you out. Finally, you come to a stop and you hear Jongin getting something out of his pocket. The beeping sound of a door unlocking is heard. You shuffle into what you think is a room (maybe a hotel room because, you know, guys) with Jongin still covering your eyes.

Only when the door slams shut behind you, he mutters, "I'm gonna count three counts and then you can open your eyes, okay?" 

You grunt and he starts to count down.

"Three..."

You flutter your eyelids behind his hand. 

"Two..."

Your heart is starting to pound in your chest. 

"One."

You open your eyes when Kai takes his hand away. You're standing in a dark room. The lights are switched on all of a sudden and you gape at the sight in front of you. This is definitely not a hotel room. The apartment is spacious and the windows directly opposite you are floor-to-ceiling. There are pictures of you and Kai on display; the selfies that you took on a regular basis and the mandatory tourist pictures the both of you took when you went on holidays. 

You turn to Kai and see that he is smiling at you, leaning against the wall by the light switch, one hand in his pocket and the other still holding the box of cakes. You throw a hand up and raise your eyebrows.

"You like it?" 

"Is this your place?" you ask instead.

He pushes off the wall and walks over to you slowly, dropping the box on the island counter on the way here. "Your parents gave me permission to share a place with you," he explains. "So yes, this is my place. And also yours."

"What about my old place?" your eyes widen. "Junmyeon—"

"He's been planning to move out, remember?" Kai cuts you off. "I talked it out with your family. They're okay with you staying with me." 

You turn back to the apartment, taking in everything. The furniture are new, but the things occupying the space are familiar and exactly where you would put them back in your own place. You frown at Kai. 

"What if I'm not okay with it?" 

He freezes. You almost want to laugh at his worried expression. But then he relaxes, rolling his eyes when he realises you're just teasing him. "You kept hinting to live with me, you think I didn't know?" 

You chuckle, taking the few steps to eliminate the distance between the both of you. Kai rests his hands on the sides of your hips. You place your hands on his chest, caressing him. 

"Anymore surprises, Kim Jongin?" you murmur. 

His adam apple bobs as he nods. His eyes are blowing up and his grip on your hips is getting tighter. His answer is breathy and full of anticipation.

"In our room."

 

 

 

25 & 26

 

"Jongin-ah!" 

You stir in your sleep, snuggling deeper into Kai's armpit. 

"Jongin~" 

The door to your room opens and you crack an eye to see Kai's mother at the door. How did she even get into the house? You sit up and greet her, to which she chirps a cheerful good morning~ in return.

"Jongin," you whisper, tapping your fiancé on the shoulder. "Baby," you say louder, shaking him now.

He groans and turns on his side, throwing his arm over your waist, his face planted on your pillow. You give his mother an apologetic look and she shakes her head, laughing. 

"Kai, your mom's here," you tell him as you pat his cheek. 

"My mom?" he blubbers sleepily, cutely.

"Yes," you smile, running your fingers through his hair. "Get up, baby."

He whines, so you end up pulling on his arm until he is sitting up with his entire body weight leaning on you. His head is on your shoulder, using you as a pillow instead.

"What are you doing here, mom," Kai mutters tiredly, rubbing his eye.

"We have to check out your wedding venue, remember?"

"Oh." You snort at his response and he turns his attention to you, tilting his head to look at you. "What?" he grumble, snuggling his forehead into the crook of your neck. 

"Nothing," you laugh softly. "Go shower, Jongin."

Your fiancé sighs loudly and lifts his heavy head in slow motion. You throw the blanket away from your body, displaying how your legs are tangled and hooked with Jongin's. You extricate your limbs from his and while you're doing so, he leans in to drop a morning kiss on your lips. 

"Okay, now hurry, Jongin!" his mother rushes, coming over to drag him out of the bed. 

 

 

 

26 & 27

 

"Where's Jongin?" you raise an eyebrow at Sehun, who is swaying a little in his seat. He still has a glass of Whisky in his hand. 

"Towlit," he slurs, pointing haphazardly in the direction that you know isn't the restroom. 

He is about to bring the glass to his lips when you grab his wrist and snatch the cup away from him. He whines loudly and pouts at you, stretching his arms out to grab his stolen drink. At that moment, someone bends over you, the top of your head touching his abdomen, as this person pushes Sehun back into his seat. 

"When did you get here?" Kai asks, now taking a seat next to you. 

"Just," you sigh, placing the glass on the table when Sehun decides to take a nap in the pub. "What's wrong with him?"

"His wife and him had an argument," your husband shakes his head, stretching his arm out to rest on the back of your seat. You lean into him and he moves a little closer. "About having a baby." 

"Baby?" You frown. Sehun has always liked kids, but his wife, not so much. 

Jongin shrugs, yawning. "He wants to have a kid now but his wife thinks they should wait a bit more." He glances at you, "But Sehun is older than her by two years, she has time, you know what I mean? Sehun just doesn't want to wait that long to be a father." 

You purse your lips as you nod. "Yeah," you agree. "Is his wife afraid of the responsibilities?"

"Probably," he bobs his shoulders, unsure. "But then who isn't? I'm still trying to be responsible, even at the age of 27."

"Yeah," you roll your eyes. "Talking about being responsible..." You thought you heard an oh no from your husband. "You forgot to put your clothes in the hamper. Again."

"I was rushing for work, I'm sorry."

"You always say sorry but still—"

Your husband cuts you off by covering your lips with his. He is smart, he knows how to play your weaknesses against you. And one of your weaknesses is his kisses, especially when they're on your lips, with tongue action. You moan into the kiss, squeezing the inside of his thigh lightly. He deepens the kiss as he harder on your lip and uses more force to dominate the dance in your mouth. 

"Jonginie!!!" a sudden cry (squeak?) shocks you enough to bite on Kai's tongue. 

"," your husband swears, his hand flying up to cover his mouth. 

"Oh my god, I'm sorry, Jongin!" you hold his face anxiously. 

"Jongin!" Sehun yells now, having not gotten the attention he wanted.

"What," Kai growls in annoyance, glaring at his drunk friend. 

"Wanna go home," Sehun mutters. 

"Your wife's coming, I called her," your husband informs him, still talking in a bit of a lisp. You feel sorry, but he reassures you by shaking his head. He gets up and pulls on his best friend's arm, "Come on, we'll wait for her outside." 

Sehun grunts as Kai heaves him on his feet. Sehun is heavy and you can see that for yourself as you watch your husband struggling to keep him upright as you walk out of the pub. You don't have to wait for too long before a car comes to a halt before you. Kai helps Sehun into the car while Sehun's wife gets out of the car to thank the both of you. Kai comes back next to you, panting.

"Thanks for being with him," she sighs, glancing at her unconscious husband in the car.

Jongin shakes his head. "You should—" he takes a deep breath and mutters to himself as he rolls his aching shoulder, "That ing idiot needs to stop lifting so much, Jesus..." When he lets out a big breath, he continues where he left off. "Talk to Sehun about whatever you're fighting about... Marriage is difficult, but you need to know that you have him too. He chose to be your husband, so he will take all the responsibility over you."

You nod your head, agreeing. "I understand that having a baby will be difficult, but you have a husband to help you, to love you. You won't be in pain." 

Kai smiles softly and rubs your back. You sigh in contentment, rubbing your belly. You give Sehun's wife a soft smile.

"You won't be in too much pain," you correct.

 

 

 

28 & 29

 

You wake up to hearing your husband shouting, really angrily. You frown before forcing yourself to sit up in bed. Kai hasn't shouted in a long time. His anger management has been totally under control these days, especially with you next to him almost all the time. You just kind of the anger out of him and turn him into some kind of cuddle monster. It's endearing but also sort of scary, especially when he tackles you in the middle of a nap just to snuggle his face in your chest. 

You walk out of the bedroom and follow his angry voice into the living room. Your son is crying on the ground, his untouched toys around him in a semi-circle. Kai is on the phone as he paces the living room, constantly glancing anxiously at his son, not knowing how to handle a crying baby and an idiot through the phone. You rush over to the baby and pick him up, quickly hushing him to stop crying. 

Jongin looks relieved that you're here, but he still continues to shout down the phone. "It was a ing—" He catches your glare and your finger that is pointing at the baby. He rolls his eyes and corrects himself, "It was an extremely simple task, Taeyong. What part of 'Mail the photocopied document to Mr. Zhang' did you not get?!"

He pinches his nose bridge, shutting his eyes in annoyance. When his subordinate has given his excuse, Jongin groans loudly. "You know what, you fu— stupid idiot," he mutters in a cold, monotonous tone. "Just. You don't have to come in starting Monday. You're fired." 

He doesn't even wait for a reply when he hangs up the call and throws his phone to the couch. He lets out a long, annoyed breath. Then he turns to you, forces a smile on his face and greets you Good morning, beautiful.

"Haven't seen you get that worked up in a long time," you raise an eyebrow, your son now resting his cheek on your collarbone. His eyelashes are glistening with tears. "You scared the baby." 

"I know," he sighs, coming over to kiss your forehead and take the baby from you. "This boy, he's just... I don't know, stupid, probably." You laugh, smacking his arm as you walk past him to the kitchen. He follows you. "Seriously, though. The last mistake he made was planning two meetings at the same ing time." 

"Jongin!"

"At the same damn time," he amends grudgingly. You have been getting him to stop swearing ever since your son was born. You don't want to be raising a baby with a sailor mouth he learnt from his father.

"That's kind of dumb," you sympathise. "Is omurice okay?" 

"Yeah," he nods, sitting at the island to watch you cook. He puts his son in front of him. "And, honey, he's not just dumb. He's slow, too." He groans. "I should have fired him earlier." 

"Well, at least you've done it," you mutter. "Better now than never, right?" 

"I guess..." You hear smooching noises and you turn your head to see Kai cupping his child's face in his big hands as he drops loud kisses on his face. "Sorry daddy scared you." Your son only gurgles with laughter, making you smile unknowingly. Your husband glances at you, "He likes it when we kiss him, huh?"

"Yeah, kinda like you," you tease, going back to beating the egg. 

"He's like you too, okay."

"No!" you laugh. 

Jongin chuckles. "Remember that time when you threw yourself at me and started to kiss me all over? Like all over?"

"I was tipsy then!" you blush, ears red. "And it wasn't all over."

"Okay, all over from waist up." He shakes his head, lips up in a cheeky smirk. "Crotch up, I mean." 

"Jesus, Jongin!"

 

 

 


Author's note:

And it is finished!!!!!!!!! It's so sad this is done now, I feel like the ficverse needs more cuddly Jongin haha. But every story has to come to an end, regrettably... I hope you guys enjoyed this story just as I did with writing it!

See you around
xoxo