12

The Heat

You laugh and hit Sehun's arm when he tells you a silly joke. You are waiting for Kai to finish his classes so that you can go for dinner together. Sehun and you have already finished with your classes, so you're just hanging out as you wait for Kai.

It has been almost two months since you've met Sehun. He and Kai, as you predicted, turned out to be a really good match. They dance well and they're both the same age. You see him at least three times a week, sometimes after a dance session he had with Kai, sometimes just to hang out and eat. Just like right now.

You're leaning against Sehun's body as you scroll through Facebook when Kai comes. You don't see him narrowing his eyes on your posture. When he is finally standing before you guys, you look up, only to beam when you see that your boyfriend is here. You move away from Sehun and jump up to hold Jongin's hand. He intertwines your fingers tightly while you grab your bag. You don't yet see his black face.

"We have thought of somewhere to go!" you beam at your boyfriend, who seems rather put off. You frown and go closer to him, whispering so that Sehun doesn't hear, "Are you okay, Jongin?"

He ignores you. Instead, he asks his friend, "Did you drive to uni?" Sehun nods his head. "I'll just follow your car to the restaurant then," Jongin mutters.

Sehun agrees. You are still staring at Kai, wondering why he is ignoring you. He never ignores you. When you reach the carpark, the both of you eventually split ways with Sehun. Kai still doesn't speak to you even though you know he senses your stares and your glances. The both of you enter his car. While he warms up the engine, you decide to say something.

"Are you okay?" you ask again, softly.

"I'm great," Jongin says. You know he isn't, from the way he sounds so sarcastic.

"Did you get into a fight?" He actually stops what he is doing and turns to you. He raises an intimidating eyebrow. You swallow nervously. Okay, so he didn't get into a fight. "Are you mad at me?" you finally ask.

Kai has never gotten mad at you. Well, he has been annoyed with you countless of times but he always gets over it the next moment. You have never actually encountered a Kai who is angry at you.

"No," he grumbles in a curt tone.

"Then what?" you ask in a slightly whiny voice. Why is he giving you an attitude if you haven't done anything wrong?

"Why do you need to get so touchy with Sehun?"

You stop and blink at him. Sehun? Touchy? 

"You're not even that close to him," he continues, sounding quite annoyed. 

You scrutinise the slight jutting of his lips when he speaks, almost like a whining child. You notice the furrow in his brows. You have never seen Kai getting jealous before. But you think this is how he looks like and how he gets when jealousy takes over him. It's probably due to the fact that you're always with Kai almost all the time. The both of you don't have anyone else to hang out with for either of you to feel jealous. But now that Kai is friends with Sehun, you're also spending time with him too, just to mingle with your boyfriend's friend(s). 

A smile creeps onto your face. Kai sees that. He turns to glare at you. You purse your lips to try to hide the smile. But it's hard when he continues grumbling. 

"You're not even his girlfriend." He sees the grin on your face and his scowl deepens. "This isn't funny." 

"No, you're right," you say quickly as you try to sober up. You nod your head. "I'm your girlfriend. I shouldn't be getting close to Sehun." 

"Exactly." 

You cannot help the chuckle that leaves your mouth. "I'm sorry if you got jealous over that."

He stops and frowns at you. He opens his mouth to say something, but nothing comes out. He looks so concerned over the fact that he is feeling an emotion called jealousy. He finally mutters, more to himself than anything, "I wasn't jealous." 

"Of course you were," you laugh, reaching over to hold his hand.

Someone honks at Kai's car. The both of you turn to see Sehun waiting for Kai to drive out of the parking lot. You let go of Kai's hand so he can start driving. He drives out of the parking space and follows behind Sehun's car.

"I was just..." 

You wait patiently for Kai's explanation. He seems to be thinking really hard for an excuse. You smile softly to yourself. Your boyfriend can be a very prideful person sometimes. 

"It's okay to be jealous, Jongin," you smile softly in affection. "I used to get jealous when girls talked to you." 

"You did?" He raises an eyebrow at you. You give him an embarrassed smile and a nod. "When?" 

"Before we started dating." 

"You actually liked me?" 

You have to laugh at this. "What do you mean by that question?!" 

He chuckles a little. "I mean... I wasn't particularly nice to you when we first met."

"Well, yeah," you agree. "But as I spent more time with you and while you opened up to me... Jongin, I was so taken by you..." He glances at you, sees the infatuated smile on your face, and promptly blushes. He looks away quickly. His bashfulness makes your heart swell. "I thought I was in love with someone who wouldn't reciprocate my feelings. I didn't think you'd like me, you know." 

"You were such a sweetheart, how could I not have liked you?" he smiles tenderly at you. "You put up with my attitude and treated me like a normal person... I didn't know I was craving for anything until you showed up. You showed me what love and patience is and I will always be grateful to you for that." 

You reach over to hold his hand. He takes the initiative to slip his fingers through yours. You're actually glad that Jongin is driving. Because his heartfelt confession has pulled on several heartstrings and your nose is prickling, and your eyes are watering. Kai, being someone so closed off, he never says much about his own feelings. Most of the time, he is a giver more than a receiver. He puts you first, never wanting to burden you with his problems or his thoughts. So hearing him speaking the truth like this is making you quite emotional. 

You manage not to cry though. You don't want to worry him (he can get a bit over protective when you cry). The rest of the ride is spent in comfortable silence. Your hands are still intertwined on your lap. In 15 minutes or so, the both of you as well as Sehun are out of your cars, walking to the restaurant. Jongin is walking between you and Sehun. He is holding your hand in the pocket of his coat. 

"I have an assignment due next Monday," Sehun complains, groaning. 

Kai snorts. "I have two assignments due on Friday. Don't be a ." 

"I haven't started on mine yet and it's only a few days to Monday... And it's also 20% of my grades," Sehun tries to justify his complaints.

"Ah, seriously," Kai rolls his eyes. "I haven't even started on one of my assignment yet and that one's 40%. Shut up."

You laugh softly to yourself upon listening in on their conversation. Kai may act indifferent and aloof towards Sehun, but you and Sehun know that Kai actually treasures this friendship he has with him. After all, how many people actually show patience to someone who constantly makes things difficult for them? 

 

page-divider.png

 

It is a week before the mid-semester break. Kai and you have your fair shares of assignments. However, with Kai being a third year student, his assignments are weightier and more time consuming. It is also a reason why, even at two in the morning, he is still awake and on his laptop. You are already sleeping next to him with your hand resting on his thigh. You snuggle your face closer to the side of his hip. Kai pauses what he is doing and looks down at you. A smile creeps onto his lips. 

You have always been a light in his life ever since he met you. Everyone who doesn't know his story, they all think Kai is just an adolescent trying to look for trouble wherever he goes. But you took your time to be his friend. You were patient when no one else was. You were understanding even when he wasn't easy to work with. He has always wondered, how and why does he deserve you, an angel in the form of a human, when he isn't the best person in the world? But he thinks just maybe, God is rewarding him for all the good that he has stood up for. 

Kai your hair gently, combing his fingers through your locks in a way that not only comforts you but also calms him. He touches your neck and smooths his thumb over your skin. He can spend the entire night just touching you like this. But he still has to complete his assignment and he only has a bit left to do. Regrettably, he sighs and sweeps your hair away from your face. He caresses your cheek as he stares at you, appreciating the beauty of his girlfriend. Then he grudgingly turns away and continues his assignment. 

Half an hour later, Kai is finally done with his work. He submits the assignment in successfully before shutting down his laptop. Excited to cuddle and to sleep, he quickly lies back down on his bed after putting his laptop away. Kai has always preferred your place to his. Because your apartment is small and cozy, and your room smells so much like you, so much like home. His own house still feels foreign to him even though he returns fairly frequently now. 

Kai curls his leg around yours and wraps his arm around your body. You naturally snuggle into his embrace. He dips his head and presses his nose to your hair. He sighs in content. He now understands what it means to be rewarded after a long day of work. He falls asleep quickly, peacefully. 

You wake up to Jongin's chest rumbling beneath you. You open your eyes groggily and notice that you're sleeping on his chest with his arm around your body. Your boyfriend is snoring slightly, which causes the rumbling of his chest. You wonder how late he went to sleep last night. However, since it is a Saturday today, you decide to sleep in with him.

You awake again two hours before noon. Jongin is still unconscious next to you. You cannot go back to sleep, so you decide to get up. You struggle to sit up with your legs intricately woven with your boyfriend's. You try to get out of the tangle, but in the midst of doing so, you feel a hand on your back. You turn around. Jongin is squinting up at you. 

"Where are you going?" he mumbles in a sleepy slur. 

"I'm thirsty," you tell him in an equally quiet voice. 

"I'll go with you."

"Jongin, I'll be right back," you promise. You lean down to comb through his soft brown hair and kiss him lightly on the lips. "Keep sleeping. I bet you were up really late last night."

He lifts his hand and cups the side of your neck. "No, I wanna go with you," he murmurs. "I'm thirsty too." 

You sigh because you know he's just saying that so you won't stop him from going with you. So you nod your head and he slides his hand down to hold yours. The both of you take some time to untangle yourself before actually getting out of bed. It feels like you are lugging a zombie with you because of how much Kai is dragging his feet. His entire family is already downstairs having breakfast when the both of you go down. 

"Morning, Jongin," his mother greets brightly. Her son grunts in reply. She scowls a little. 

"He stayed up late to finish an assignment, auntie," you inform her on your boyfriend's behalf. "He's still tired."

"Ah, I see," she nods, smiling at you. "Are you guys going to have breakfast, then?" 

You shake your head. "Jongin should go back to sleep. And I just want water." 

"Baby..." Kai sighs into your ear, his other hand circling around your waist from behind.

He lazily rests his cheek on your head, making you blush. His father chuckles silently in amusement as he tips his head for you to go on. Jongin's mother and sister seem to be trying to keep their wide smiles from showing. You tug on Kai's hand and he follows you to the kitchen latched onto your back like this. You get a glass of water and take a sip. You turn your head and hold it to Jongin's lips. He whines and shakes his head. You cluck your tongue. 

When you are done, you leave the empty cup in the sink and lead the way back up to Jongin's room, after saying goodbye to his family. Jongin falls onto the mattress with his arms still around you. You squeal softly when you tumble back onto the bed. He chuckles lowly into your ear. You whine and hit his arm lightly. He kisses your ear as apology. You cover yourselves with the blanket as Jongin locks his legs with yours, determined to always keep your legs in a tangle for as long as he is sleeping with you. 

"Go back to sleep now, Jongin," you whisper, rubbing his arm that is around your body. 

He hums in your ear before he murmurs softly, tenderly, "See you in my dreams, baby."

 

 


Author's note:

The last chapter!!!!!!! I hope you guys enjoyed this revised version and I also REALLY hope it isn't rushed or anything now that I've edited it. I haven't proofread this yet so I'm sorry if you find any mistakes;;; I'll also post the epilogue up soon after I've edited that. Maybe tomorrow! It's 2am and i rly want to sleep lol 

Till next time
xoxo