Start and Final

That XX

"Hey, isn't that what's-her-face, Baekhyun's girlfriend?"

You stop talking about the newest book you're currently reading and look around for the girl whom your friend had spotted. And there she is. Except, Baekhyun is not with her. You assume that she's out shopping with her friends because she looks like she's waiting for someone. She can't be waiting for Baekhyun, because he is the biggest gentleman who would pick anyone up from their doorstep.

"Do you wanna say hi?"

You contemplate the decision. Be rude, or be nice? She hasn't seen you yet, anyway. But you're also not the kind to just ignore a friend. Though she's technically a friend's girlfriend.   

"Yeah," you nod and start to walk towards her direction.

But the lone girl looks up from her phone, as if someone had called her. As your friend wonders who she's beaming so widely at, you've already caught sight of the person — more specifically, the man. And that's when you see how Baekhyun's girlfriend transforms into someone else's girlfriend. She covers her left hand with her right, seemingly struggling as she tries to take something off.

You remember seeing a ring on Baekhyun's right hand. A ring that turned up so out of the blue that you know there had to be a reason for it. And you found out that reason when Chanyeol asked him about it. And you remember him saying that it's a promise ring. Chanyeol immediately gave his best friend a sly smile and Baekhyun had shook his head and laughed. He said it wasn't a big deal and that it was normal for couples to have promise rings.

And when you noticed the band of silver on Baekhyun's girlfriend's finger, you could only wish them happy anniversary. But now, as her left hand is uncovered, you no longer see that familiar ring on her finger. And the most unusual thing is that her finger doesn't have a tan line, or any sort of indication that she had been wearing it for long.

You know something's not right.

Something isn't right when she looks this ecstatic when meeting a guy who isn't Baekhyun. Something isn't right when she takes off her promise ring and stows it away from sight.

You hope your friend had seen nothing as you put a hand on her arm. "Hey, let's go back. I don't wanna disturb her."

"Are you sure?" Your friend frowns at you. You nod, but she glances around as if looking for someone. "She's still waiting for her friends, though. You still have time."

"But you don't, you have to tutor a student, remember?"

"Oh, right!" She snaps her fingers. "Let's go, then! You're not close to her, anyway."

"Yeah," you mumble, giving the girl one more look as your friend starts pulling you in another direction.

The man is approaching closer and just a few steps before he reaches her, she walks up to him and winds her arms around his neck. Your breath is held when you watch that hug go on for what seems like a long time before they break away and smile at each other with goggly eyes. You quickly turn away with your heart pounding in your chest. You're glad your friend is complaining about her bratty student rather than being interested in what made you so wide-eyed.

Just for one last time though, you turn your head again. But you can't look for more than a second before you look away immediately.

The two were caught lip-locking.

 

 

The next time you meet Baekhyun and his girlfriend again, you're all together with the clique on a Friday night. Baekhyun has his arm around her shoulders and she has a hand on his thigh. It's dark in the pub, but you have no trouble witnessing the cause of what feels like your millionth heartbreak. The hand on Baekhyun's thigh has a ring on it and you wonder if it had just been your imagination when you saw the girl on the streets the other day.

"You alright?" Suho nudges you lightly and you tear your eyes away from the couple. "You're really quiet."

You give a smile and hope that it looks believable. "Yeah, I'm just feeling a little sick."

"Do you wanna go home?" He looks concerned for you as he offers, "I can drive you home."

The person on your left leans closer to you and your heart rate picks up. Baekhyun asks you, "What's up? Why are you going home?"

"Said she's feeling a little sick," Suho answers for you.

Baekhyun brings his hand up to your face and places the back of his hand against your forehead. You swallow your nervousness, but your heart doesn't stop banging in your chest. He frowns, "You feel a little hot... I think you should go home and rest."

You take a hold of his wrist and gently bring his hand down. The crease between his eyebrows folds even more as you put his hand nicely on his lap. You smile at him politely and that's when you know that you can never smile at your best friend like how you used to anymore. Baekhyun was once a best friend you fell in love with and now he is a best friend you're trying to avoid.

"Baby," his girlfriend taps his arm and Baekhyun immediately turns to give her his attention.

"Hmm?" He smiles so endearingly at her as he curls her hair behind her ear that the gun shot to your heart feels all too real. You wish he would look at you like this.

"I can't meet you tomorrow, my friends decided on an impromptu shopping session..."

You look away, wondering who these "friends" are. Could they really be her friends, or is it that man she had been seen kissing? You catch Suho's eye roll before he looks at you.

"Should I drive you home?"

You glance at Baekhyun, who is still talking to his girlfriend. Then you look at the rest. Everyone else is chatting and laughing. It wouldn't cause much of a disruption if you went home.

"That would be great, Suho. Thanks."

He smiles at you and stands up from his seat. When everyone looks up at him, he announces, "I'm driving a sick girl home." He tips his head in your direction.

"Aw, I hope you feel better soon," the girl next to Baekhyun is seemingly concerned over your health. You're not even close to her.

But you nod your head as you get up, "Thanks. Enjoy your night."

"I'll go over to your place tomorrow to visit." Baekhyun never stops worrying for you. It only makes things harder. Makes unloving him so much more difficult.

"Rest well when you get home," Kai reminds you.

You smile at them, "I will. See you guys."

Suho places a gentle hand on your back as he walks you out of the pub. The night is warm and busy with people enjoying a Friday night. Men are staring at you even with Suho is next to you. Maybe you shouldn't have worn such tight jeans. But then they were the only pair that's clean.

Suho keeps you close as he protects you from the stares. You look down and hope this action brings across the message that you're not interested in men. Or rather, you're not interest in anyone who isn't Baekhyun. But why is it that, even with so many guys appreciating you and being attracted to you, Baekhyun is the only one you love? Isn't it stupid? You can get any guy you want, but you only yearn for Baekhyun. And now thinking about Baekhyun, you remember seeing his girlfriend on the streets again. You can't seem to get the image of her making out with someone else out of your head.

But it seems like you're not the only one who is thinking of her. When you and Suho enter the quiet carpark, he sighs loudly. "I don't know if I should say this... Especially since you're closest to him..."

"What are you talking about...?" You tilt your head at Suho.

"Baekhyun's girlfriend... I don't like her."

"Eh?" You're shocked because Suho is a very welcoming person who never hates anyone. "I know Chanyeol and Kyungsoo hate her. Sehun and Kai don't like her and the rest are just on the fence. But I really didn't think you'd dislike her."

He laughs as he unlocks the car. The both of you get into the vehicle and he explains, "I don't know... I always see the best in people, you know? I really tried not to judge her too harshly, but it's almost been half a year and I still don't see anything good in her. She puts Baekhyun off in front of us, she whines and complains so often, she even makes Baek pay for everything..."

You're quiet as you wait for his car to warm up. Suho's right. She always turns dates down because she is always "busy" with work or friends. Even when Baekhyun asks her out in front of us, she never gives him face but instead rejects him. She does make a lot of fuss too. Most of the time when you guys are out for a reunion, it is mostly acquired to her taste because she is picky with everything. And the part about her always making Baekhyun pay is true too. You have never seen her pull her wallet out whenever you're eating together.

All these things together make you really brainstorm what must be so special about her. Baekhyun has always been a no-fuss kind of person. You never could have imagined him with someone like his current girlfriend. But maybe like what people say, opposites attract.

Coming to think about her again, you wonder if you should tell Suho about what you saw. You know you can trust him though. So you recount everything to him. When you finish the story, you add, "I might be wrong though. Maybe I saw the wrong person..." You just don't want to talk bad about your best friend's girlfriend like this.

The drive to your home is quiet for a while. Then Suho mutters, "I trust you more than I trust that girl... I doubt you'd make a mistake over something so serious."

"Do you think I should tell Baekhyun?"

He glances at you before returning to the road again. "It's your call."

"I don't wanna hurt him," you sigh. "But I don't wanna see him get fooled..."

"You know what," Suho turns a corner and you can see your apartment building in sight. "Baekhyun is a man and he can think for himself. He should make his own decision; whether he wants to be hurt temporarily, or if he wants to continue to fool himself."

"So you think I should tell him," you conclude.

Suho shrugs, but you already know what you're going to do. Baekhyun has been your best friend for years. He should be able to trust in your words and your sentiments, right? Even if one person's stand isn't enough of a confirmation for him, he should understand that there must be a reason why most of his friends have such prejudice against her too... right?

 

 

"You don't look very good..." is what Baekhyun says the moment he enters your apartment and sees you walking towards the kitchen. As your best friend, he knows the passcode to your apartment and he comes in without the need to knock. You hadn't expected him to drop by despite him saying he would. After all, he said it in front of his girlfriend. She definitely wouldn't have liked it that he came.

"Didn't your girlfriend stop you from coming here?" You gruff out, trying not to cringe at your rough voice.

Baekhyun cringes for you as he replies, "She did... But you're my best friend. And she's out with her friends. She doesn't need to know that I came here."

When he sees you getting ingredients out of the pantry to start cooking, he rushes over and covers your hands with his. All the blood rushes up to your face and you suddenly feel hot. His breath hits your temple when he speaks.

"I'll cook for you," he murmurs. "Go rest."

"I'm fine," you whisper, not daring to look up at him.

"You're sick and I'm being what a best friend is supposed to be. So be a good girl and listen to me, okay?"

"Okay."

So you slip your hands out from under his big ones and wash your hands. You open the fridge to get some milk when Baekhyun bumps your hips with his playfully. He laughs at your surprised reaction before getting some eggs and then leaving.

"Come sit here," Baekhyun pulls a chair next to the kitchen counter.

"But you told me to rest."

"Now I want you to not rest and accompany me."

You chuckle but sit anyway. As Baekhyun starts to prepare your food, you watch him take off his promise ring. There is an obvious tan line on his fourth finger where his ring had been. You know he has never taken the ring off except when he has to cook, like right now. And you know that despite all her unlikeable traits, Baekhyun still loves his girlfriend. He loves her unconditionally and suddenly there is a very resentful and consuming fire in your gut upon realising this fact. You recognise that burn as something people refer to as 'jealousy'. You wish Baekhyun loves you this much.

"I saw her the other day," you say without thinking.

"Who?" Baekhyun asks, tilting his head to look at you.

"Your girlfriend," you mutter, wondering if you should have said anything about the incident.

"Really?" He grins. "Did you say hi?"

But then you think that you've already gone too far to take it back.

"I wanted to..." Your best friend looks at you to continue when you trail off. "She was meeting someone, so I didn't approach her..."

"Was it a group of friends that's why you didn't say hi? Because you were intimidated?"

You shake your head and reach out to brush a speck of dirt from his cheek. "It was a guy," you murmur softly.

Baekhyun freezes for a bit before going back to work. He hums, "Maybe it was one of her best friends. Like you and me."

Hearing how he so openly points out your relationship with him, you can't help but feel a punch to your stomach and a clench on your heart. How can you still love him so, so much when he obviously only sees you as just a best friend? Maybe you just love the feeling of loving him and you don't mind whether or not you're going to be loved back with the same intensity. Because after all, isn't that what love is?

"She wasn't wearing your ring, Baek," you tell him without including the fact that she actually took the accessory off right there and then.

He is quiet and you're really starting to feel guilty. But then he shrugs, "Maybe she forgot about it after a shower." You purse your lips as Baekhyun looks up at you, "What was she doing with that guy?"

His voice is quiet and his eyes are earnest. He wants to know the truth, but he is afraid of something. He is afraid that it might hurt him. Or maybe he might be afraid of you and how much of a telltale you are. But isn't it better to be hurt for a while, than to be cheated on for a long time?

So you tell him, "They were hugging." You don't want to hurt him, so you left it at that, omitting the detail of them kissing.

Baekhyun puts down the knife and stares at you. His lips are tightly shut and you know he's mad. You're not sure who he is angry at. But when he finally opens his mouth, that's when you know who means more to him.

"I know the guys don't like my girlfriend. But you," he gives a scoff that sounds like dry laughter. "You didn't say anything about her, but I guess you don't have to, now." Is Baekhyun really trusting his girlfriend of half a year over a best friend of five years? "Maybe they had just caught up after a long time. Or maybe you even saw the wrong person, it might not even have been her..."

He trails off at the end and you realise that it isn't anger that he is feeling. He is just upset and needs some reassurance that his girlfriend is faithful to him. It is just like how you lie to yourself about Baekhyun not loving his girlfriend as much as he loves you. But it seems like you know the truth to that now. However, the only difference between you and Baekhyun is that you would let yourself get hurt. But only if the hurt is given by Baekhyun, himself. Because no one else is worth the heartbreak.

So you lie and nod, "You're right, I'm sorry. I might have seen someone else. That girl seemed to have smaller eyes."

A grin slowly creeps onto Baekhyun's face, "See, I knew it! She may be a total princess but she definitely wouldn't hug guys who aren't me. After all, you certified me as the Best Hugger in history, didn't you?"

You give a pained smile. Your lips are shaking but you press your lips tighter together to keep them from quivering. He might give the best hugs in the world, but to you, everything about Baekhyun is perfect. He does everything the best in your eyes. He has no wrongs, no flaws, no imperfections. That's what and how he is to you. However, opinions are all relative and what you admit cannot be what others agree to. 

You get off the chair and Baekhyun stares at you. You murmur, "I'll just wait for you at the couch, I'm a bit drowsy."

He lets you and you try not to run to the sofa. You just can't be around Baekhyun without your heart clenching and stuttering like it doesn't know whether to stop right then or to go on forever. Right now, it feels exactly like the former; like you're going to die. And with the previous topic about meeting his girlfriend, you just don't feel good inside.

Why is he defending her when he probably knows you're right? Why doesn't he want to acknowledge that fact? He knows you're not the kind to lie, especially to him. You have better sixth sense than most people he knows, he admitted it himself. But why is he acting like that? Is it because he loves her too much? But what did he even see in her? Everyone doesn't like her, they believe what they see when they look at her but why can't Baekhyun?

"The other day," the man speaks up all of a sudden as if he knows you're thinking of him. He laughs as he recounts something funny. You're looking forward to what he's going to say. "She took my ring off and drew a new ring on my tan line. It was so cute."

And you immediately deflate even more. Really, what does she have that you don't? Is it because she's "cute" like he said? He's called you cute countless of times too, but why is she the only one getting all his love?

Baekhyun makes a sound that is similar to a giggle and it makes you smile briefly. Maybe it's not all bad that he's dating her. She makes him happy and seeing him smile so prettily like this, it makes you feel satisfied. Maybe it doesn't matter that you're in pain, or that his girlfriend is cheating on him. Because as long as he is happy, you're happy.

 

 

Suho is sitting next to you during the next reunion. Baekhyun and his girlfriend are at the end of the table, thankfully away from you. You don't want to see Baekhyun smiling that wide because of her. It makes you want to jump off a cliff. The way he cleans the crumbs from her lips, or just the way he interacts with her, everything makes you so uncomfortable and you hate that feeling. He's supposed to be your best friend, damn it! You're not allowed to feel this way.

You feel even more repulsed when she covers Baekhyun's hand with hers like they're so ing in love. You know that isn't the case. Maybe Baekhyun is in love with her, but she is definitely not. Not when she has someone else to hug and kiss. Not when Baekhyun isn't the only guy she has.

"Hey, eat more," Suho frowns, serving you more food. You look at him and notice something in his hair. You reach up to his fringe and ruffle your fingers through it as he pouts naturally, "You're not eating at all. Are you still sick?"

"No," you shake your head and fix his hair to look as nice as before.

Suho shifts closer to you and murmurs, "Is it Baekhyun again?" You hum in reply, taking a bite of spaghetti. "He didn't believe you?" You shook your head. "Then he's fooling himself. Stupid boy."

You chuckle sadly, "That's what love does to you, I guess."

Suho places a warm hand on your leg and squeezes your thigh gently. You feel better than you had all night and it gives you the strength to eat more.

 

 

Ever since that reunion, you have been talking to Suho a lot more than usual and you admit that had never known how cute he is. He might not be like Baekhyun, but he has his own charm.

With your best friend constantly busy with his own girlfriend, Suho has been keeping you company. And everyone knows how two opposite genders fall for each other after hanging out for so long — just like you with Baekhyun. Suho is currently over at your house, trying to get his schoolwork done when you crawl to his lap and sit on him. He laughs, circling a hand around your waist.

"What's up, love?" He asks, kissing your cheek.

You shrug, "Just missed you." He hums, putting his laptop away and going into full cuddling mode.

"You smell very nice," Suho murmurs against your skin, his nose pressed into your hair.

You laugh when he showers you repeatedly with light kisses. But your cuddle time is cut short when someone rings the doorbell. The both of you look at each other before you stand and go over to the door. And surprise, surprise. Baekhyun is in front of you.

"I haven't changed my passcode, Baek," you frown at him. Then you notice that he is looking down at the floor. "What's wrong?"

"You were right..." he whispers.

"About what, Baekhyun?"

"She was cheating on me," he confirms. Your heart clenches at his sad figure. He mumbles quietly, "I broke up with her."

"Oh, Baekhyun," you step forward and engulf the male in a hug.

You may not be as close to him anymore, or even love him as much as you did, but you still care for him like best friend should. Baekhyun hugs you back tightly, burying his face in the crook of your neck. You feel wetness on your skin and you hug him even tighter.

"Come in, Baek. I'll make you hot chocolate."

He nods and tears away from you. As you pull him into your apartment by the hand, Suho looks up, "Baby, who's— Oh. Baekhyun-ah."

The younger male stops and stares at Suho on the couch. Then he looks at you. Now he feels stupid. Because the only girl who suits him best and who would never cheat on him is finally taken and is getting the love she deserves. Baekhyun is too late. 


Author's note:

I'm not very satisfied with this one shot, but i had to post it because i've written it already.. and if i change everything, I'm gonna lose motivation, so please don't judge me too harshly >_<

see you around
xoxo