Song # 15: I Should Have Known

Our Love's Song

I don't know what to do or say
But I do know, you took my soul away

Thought we had so much time
Be together and live our lives
But I guess I was wrong

"I Should Have Known" - Jeigh Madjus


“Youngbae.” Her voice was trembling as she spoke and was wearing a pained expression on her face.

 

“Calm down, Dara.” Youngbae put his hand on her shoulder, squeezing it lightly, “Breathe, Dara.”

 

Dara closed her eyes, she held his arm for support as she tried to breathe in deeply, “That’s it.” Youngbae moved in closer, caressing her back.

 

“Thank you, Youngbae.” She looked up at him and smile weakly, “What can I do without you?”

 

I suddenly felt a sharp pain in my chest, and I clearly didn’t like the sensation.

 

“Well, probably panicking right now.” He said with a light laugh that made her smile but wince in pain at the same time.

 

“Don’t make me laugh.” She protested, punching his chest lightly.

 

Words like “that should’ve been me” or “I want to make you smile again” came across my mind that I had to clench my fist to stop myself from barging in.

 

Being sharp as she always was, she seemed to notice that I was standing here that she was about to turn her head to my direction. I hid myself from them and peeked at her as she frowned and looked around.

 

“What’s wrong?” Youngbae asked her, turning his head around to look at what she was looking.

 

“Nothing, I thought someone was here too.” She said looking around one last time that her eyes could’ve met mine if I exposed myself.

 

“You think? But this place is a restricted area.” Youngbae explained nonchalantly making Dara’s eyes open wide.

 

“What?!” She then held Youngbae’s hand, “Then why are we here? Let’s get out of here before someone finds us!” She panicked, pulling him out of the garden.

 

Youngbae laughed as Dara pulled him away, but what surprised me was when he looked back and met my eyes. He then gave me a smirk before looking away again.

 

What the heck was that?

 


 

I had my hand clenched in a fist as I walked down the hallway towards the hall where the other performances are still being held. Almost all students noticed the tension around me that they actually walked away upon seeing me.

 

“GD?” Sohee saw me enter the hall and immediately came to me. I didn’t know what took over me, but I pulled Sohee towards me and started kissing her. “GD!” She pushed me away, but I pulled her back again and kissed her.

 

“Stop, what is wrong with you?!” Sohee pushed me away again, harshly.

 

“What? Is it ing wrong to kiss my girlfriend now?!”

 

“GD, keep your voice low.” Sohee looked around, giving apologetic look to the people around us, until her eyes were suddenly fixed at the person behind me.

 

I turned around, and I saw Dara standing there beside Youngbae; she was looking at me as she took a sip on the drink she was holding. She then turned and looked at Youngbae who I didn’t notice was staring at me all the time.

 

He then looked down to Dara and gave her a smile, his hand snaking around her waist as he whispered something in her ear, and with her responding with a nod.

 

They both turned their backs towards us and continued to walk away, and if looks could kill, I probably have killed Youngbae right now, but Dara turned her head around and looked at me, before looking back at Youngbae.

 

“GD.” Sohee put a hand on my shoulder making me look at her, “Do you want to go home?” She asked.

 

“Aren’t you going to ask me anything?” I asked her, because I knew, the way I looked earlier had given away my feelings for Dara.

 

“Are you ready to tell me?” She asked back as she held my hand, making me look down to our hands, as I shook my head, “Then I won’t ask anything.”

“He looked angry.” I told Youngbae as we continue to walk away from where Sohee and Jiyong were standing.

 

“He always has.” Youngbae joked, and I pouted.

 

“You guys shouldn’t fight, especially if it’s because of me.” I told him, “And I think you shouldn’t be here with me, you should be next to him. He’s your friend even before I got involve with all of you.”

 

“Well, he won’t die if I’m not there for him?” He told me, “I have all the right in the world to choose who I want to be with right now.”

 

“But Youngbae—” I was about to fight back but he beat me into it.

 

“And besides… You’ve been suffering own your own, at least learn to lean on me, in place of him.”

 

All I could do was sigh, I had no chance on winning against Youngbae, especially when I still feel weak, and that my stomach still hurts. If it wasn’t for the competition today, I would have stayed in the hospital all day, but I can’t let Jiyong down. Even through this, I should do my best to support him.

 

“Do you feel alright now?” Youngbae asked for the nth time, and I shook my head for the nth time, “Maybe you should head back home, or should I take you to the hospital?” He asked me.

 

“Can we just wait for the announcement, make sure that we don’t make it.” I said, clenching my stomach as another wave of pain washed over me.

 

“Trust me, you will make it to the final cut.” Youngbae said.

 

“And I hope we don’t.” I told him which Youngbae only laughed at.

 

And as if the heaven’s playing a big joke in my life, we actually made it to the final cut. Like, we are performing completely against their desired theme. We are actually portraying lovers who already broke up, not a lovey-dovey one that is in line with the “Lovers’ Night” theme of the cultural festival? How on earth does that even make any sense?

 

“I told you so…” Youngbae whispered as he clapped with the other students, and gestured to me to make my way to the stage, “Don’t keep your partner waiting.” He teased.

 

I rolled my eyes and stood up from my seat and made my way to the stage to stand next to him, who was completely emitting a negative aura around him.

 

As soon as I was next to him, he suddenly spoke, “So you and Youngbae?”

 

“What?” I whispered back to him, we were still looking at the crowd while clapping for our success and the success of the others.

 

“Don’t play dumb…” I was surprised but I didn’t let it show and smiled at the person congratulating me, “You’re dating him, aren’t you.”

 

“Why would you think of that?” I said through gritted teeth as I gave another contestant a smile, and shook her hand as a congratulatory gesture.

 

“So you came back from heaven knows where, and then started dating my best friend. I didn’t know you’re that kind of girl.” I froze on spot; I was dumbfounded with his accusations.

 

I looked at him who was still standing behind me, pretending to smile to the other students when in fact; he was in a foul mood.

 

“How can you think like that with your best friend?” My voice was laced with disbelief, I shook my head at him before walking away from him, thankful that finally the event was finished and I can go back home.

 

“Then what do you want me to think?” He spoke through gritted teeth as he grabbed my arm and whirled me around, “He had his ing arm around your waist.”

 

“Wha—Why are you even putting meaning on it?” I asked looking around the people and smiling to those who would pass by us.

 

“Then what was that? He just wanted his arm there? Oh come on, Dara. Cut the bullsh*t.”

 

“Jiyong—“ I looked around making sure nobody heard me, “GD—“

 

“Now you’re calling me GD.” He said with utter disgust, “Why don’t you call me like you used to? Call me by my name, Dara. Call me!”

 

“Ji!” I winced in pain as he suddenly grabbed my arms, his hold tightening.

 

But he didn’t let go; his hold just kept on tightening around my arms as if it’s cutting all the blood flow.

 

“Dude, what the ?!” All of a sudden, I was free.

 

“Dara…” Another arm held me carefully, “Are you alright?”

 

“Calm the hell down!” Another voice shouted.

 

I don’t know who was even speaking or what was happening… all I knew was, I just kept on looking at him.

 

He was all that I can see…

Who are you?

 

Her eyes literally screamed at me as she stared at me; her eyes filled with fear.

 

Bom held her as her knees soon gave in, “Dara!” She was shaking, and soon she was having a hard time breathing.

 

“What was wrong with you?” Youngbae turned me to him, and I just glared at him.

 

“GD, I think we better head home.” Sohee suggested as soon as she was beside me.

 

“Cool your head off…” Youngbae put a hand on my shoulder but I swatted it away.

 

He looked pissed, but he just closed his eyes and took a deep breath, and when he opened them, he looked at me in the eyes, and I knew he was d*mn serious with what he said.

 

“And stay away from her.” He looked at Sohee before looking back at me and leaving me in my spot, walking to Dara.

 

No…

 

Youngbae helped her up, asked her if she was okay and if she can walk, which she responded with a nod.

 

No…

 

“Hyung!” I didn’t know what I was doing, “GD!” I just found myself charging towards them.

 

I took her hand surprising her, and then I pulled her away from everyone. “Wait! Ji!” Dara protested, trying to pull away from me, but she can’t.

 

“Jiyong!” I heard Youngbae shout from behind us but I ignored him, and continued to pull Dara away.

 

Away from everything… I want to settle everything, once and for all.

 

We both ended up at the rooftop; the sky in the shade of gray, the wind blowing strongly, indicating of another storm that was to come. I let go of her hand, and once free she started rubbing her wrist. I walk towards the railings to support myself, so I can stop myself because I was still shaking from anger.

 

“What is wrong with you?! Sohee was there!”

 

“ everyone!” She flinched with what I said so I had to turn my back against her.

 

I had to release my temper, so I did the only possible thing I could think of; I punched the solid wall beside me…

 

“Jiyong!” In a second, she was next to me, holding my bleeding knuckles and looked at me with tears on her eyes.

 

Ahh… I made her cry…

 

“What were you thinking!” She screamed, tears immediately rolling off down to her cheeks.

 

And as if that was the only thing I needed, all my anger were washed away… I took her hand and pulled her towards me, hugging her tightly; our memories flashing before my eyes.

 

“Can you stop being stupid, even for a second, Ji.” She sighed as she put some ointment on the wound on my hand, “This hand is important, you know.”

 

“Why? Because it’s the one holding you?” I and she rolled her eyes.

 

“Because this hand makes all your music.” She said and smiled, “So please… please be careful next time.” She reminded me, her eyes full of concern.

 

“But it’s a small cut, it’s no big deal.” I told her to lessen her worries.

 

“It may be a small cut, but it hurt like hell, right?” She put a little pressure on it, and I almost flinched, “Small wounds , you know.”

 

“Why is that?” I asked her.

 

She looked at me after putting back the medicine on the box, “Because they’re too small, you wouldn’t even notice that it’s there, until you feel the pain.”

 

“Hmm, that’s true.” I agreed, “But what the most is the pain here.” I pointed to my chest.

 

“Being dramatic now?” She asked with a laugh.

 

“No…” I pulled her into a hug, “It because I only have one heart and if it breaks, I’ll die.”

 

She frowned, “You are so cheesy, what the heck!” She then laughed at me as she tried to get up.

 

“What?” I pulled her back, so she had to look up at me, “But seriously, I don’t know what my life would be without you.”

 

She laughed and jokingly said, “It’ll probably .”

 

“This really …” I whispered and she froze on spot, “It definitely .”

“Ji… We’ve… we’ve talked about this, didn’t we?” I told him; too weak to even push him away

 

“You’re the only one who decided that!” He was the one to pushed me away to look into my eyes, “I didn’t agree to anything.”

 

“Then what are you planning to do? Break up with Sohee? Start a relationship with me again after all I’ve done? Or are you planning on having us both?!” I bursted out, and immediately a wave of pain washed over me, but I decided to ignore it and stood my ground.

 

“! I don’t know!” He let go of me; he ran his bleeding hand through his hair in frustration. “I don’t ing know what to do!”

 

I studied his features… and I knew he’s having a hard time, he had to choose, he had to make up his mind and settle everything… but choosing means hurting the other.

 

And I knew, without a doubt who he’s going to choose… but…

 

I held his hand before he could pull out all his hair, and cupped his face to make him look at me, “You know, Ji.” I told him, my eyes softening as the pain registered in his eyes, “You know exactly what to do.”

 

Tears escaped his eyes, he intertwined his hand with mine as he leaned his forehead against my shoulder, my hand slipping back to his neck.

 

“It wouldn’t be this complicated if I have waited for you.” He whispered. “If I knew you’d come back—“ he raised his head once again to look at me, but I cut him off.

 

“No… you can’t just wait for me, Ji.” Not when I’m not even sure if I’m going to live.

 

“You know how I feel for you…”

 

“And I know how you feel about Sohee.” I gave him a bitter smile, “Maybe… we weren’t meant to be.”

 

We should’ve known… that our love for each other would just cause miseries, not only to ourselves, but also to the people who are involved in our lives.


And hello once again, surprise surprise. Hahaha. Anyways, here's another update for you guys and I hope you'll like it. Again, thank you for those who continue to read my story and those who continue to support it. 
Oh! And I made a twitter account. Hihi. Please do follow me
@writer_kami, asked me anything or inspire me to update. Hihi
I love you readers, mwah!
XOXO; kaminari1007 (miyu29)