~Final~

Pluviophile

 

 

Pluviophile (n)

 

~A lover of rain; someone who finds joy and peace of mind during rainy days~

 

 

      "Hyung! I'll go out now!" Namjoon yelled after his older cousin, who is currently doing the laundry. After hearing a faint 'okay', he put on his snapback and left the house. A smile was brought to his lips when he was greeted with a bright, sunny weather.

 

     Namjoon loves this kind of weather. The sky is clear and crystal blue as the sun illuminates it. The clouds were like puffs of fluffy balls that look like sheep. The birds chirped a cheerful melody as they perched themselves on the trees and the vibrant flowers dotted along the lush, green pastures. To Namjoon, the sunny day is a metaphor for happiness.

 

     After purchasing his needed materials, Namjoon proceeded to go home. It seemed like the weather is bipolar. The once bright, clear sky immediately turned into dark grey with thunders rumbling followed by a downpour.

 

"Tsk." Namjoon ran to find a sheltered place and stay there for a while until it subsided. He was a bit drenched but he doesn't care as long as his materials are safe.

 

     Namjoon doesn't hate the rain but he doesn't like it either. He dislikes it mainly because the rain causes so much delays. It affects the allotment of time to various activities that leads to forced cancellation and postponement. The rain is a huge hassle to deal with especially for people outside their homes. They don't have a choice but to go through it like being in a battle because work doesn't stop- there's always so many things everyone has to do. And the rain can cause great danger like accidents, damages and illnesses. Namjoon has another reason why he dislikes the rain. It's because it has the ability to out the bright, positive aura and replaces it with a gloomy, dark one. Namjoon is an out going type of person. He loves being outdoors and find happiness through everything around him. So when it rains, he's stuck inside the house just sitting and lazing around . The rain gives off a melancholic vibe that will make him feel like it too and Namjoon really don't like that.

 

     When the rain subsided into drizzles, Namjoon immediately ran towards home. Apparently, the rain is being a . When he was halfway back, it started raining again. He let out a string of curses as he protect the materials from getting wet not caring anymore if he's drenched. He passed by an open field and saw a person with a mop of orange hair, lying on the grass as the rain poured. Namjoon wanted to go to him and tell him to take shelter but the paper bag of his project materials is starting to peel off. The blonde haired boy let out a growl and ran back home. After one last curse towards the rain, Namjoon quickly changed into dry clothes and start with his project.

 

     The next time Namjoon got caught up in the rain is when he was spending a nice afternoon in the park. Just like that day, the sunny day was easily eaten by storm clouds then it started raining right away. Scowling, Namjoon plucked his earphones then stood up to find a covered area. As he made his way, he spotted the orange haired boy again, lying on the grass. He didn't know why but his feet was dragging him towards the direction of the boy instead of the covered area he spotted.

 

"Hey, what are you doi-Kim Taehyung?" he said in surprise when he reached him. The said person look up at him with a bright grin.

 

"Oh nice seeing you here, Kim Namjoon-ssi." he said still grinning, showing off his famous boxy smile.

 

      The two males attend the same school and share several classes together. Namjoon is known in the campus for always topping his academics in their batch and for also being their year level representative in the student council. Taehyung is labeled as the '4D alien' in school because of his high level of uniqueness and eccentricity in everything but is also very smart. They know each other but never actually spoke until now.

 

"Uhmm...it's raining. Why are you lying down there? There's a sheltered place nearby." he said pulling his hoodie over his head as the rain started to pour a bit harder. Before he could speak again, the orange haired boy spoke first.

 

"Nah, I'll be fine." he grinned again. Namjoon stared at him for a moment.

 

"It's going to be a downpour soon." he still persisted, not having the heart to just leave him there. He seemed to convince the other because he reached out a hand. Namjoon grab it but instead of pulling him up, Taehyung pulled him down causing him to fall beside him. "Yah! What the hell?!"

 

"Shh...just enjoy and love the rain." he told the blonde haired boy who gave him a incredulous look. He tried to stand up but Taehyung's strong grip on his arm prevents him to do so.

 

"Are you nuts? We're going to get sick!" he exclaimed but Taehyung deadpanned his protests.

 

"Calm down. You worry too much, Namjoon." the other said staring straight above. Namjoon was slightly amazed that he could keep his eyes open while staring up. He found it hard because of the rain splattering all over his face so he kept on squinting. He could also see that Taehyung is enjoying being rained at. Well, he's not. He doesn't understand why Taehyung enjoys this so much. Namjoon doesn't like it one bit especially lying on a damp ground with a strong smell of soil. "Close you eyes. Relax and feel the rain soothe you."

 

"But-" he started but he cut across him.

 

"Just do it, please." he turned to Taehyung, whose eyes are closed. He knows he has no choice so he let out a sigh and did as he was told.

 

     Taehyung is a pluviophile meaning he finds peace and solace in the rain. He likes the rain and find his happiness in it. The orange haired boy never looks at the negative side of the rain, the thinks otherwise. To him, the rain was never a hassle- that it comes because it's like a message saying take a little break and find your inner peace. He never blamed the rain for coming at random times because it comes naturally- it's part of the biological cycle of life. Taehyung also doesn't believe that the rain causes gloominess. The visual of the surroundings might  be dark and grey but that doesn't mean you can't make it bright and happy- and that's what Taehyung does everytime it rains. He finds joy as the rain poured and makes the best out it.

 

     They  stayed like that for a while. At first, Namjoon thought this was an absurd idea because who'd want to spend their time lying on a field while it's raining? He was uncomfortable with the rain drops splattering on his face but he slowly got used to the feeling and found himself worrying less and his body relaxed until he felt comfortable with the whole thing.

 

'This...wasn't so bad as I thought...' he mentally told himself. They lay in silence, only the drizzling and soft blowing of the wind can be heard. Namjoon didn't mind it at all. In fact. He actually liked it. The silence was neither awkward nor tense but comforting soothing. He felt Taehyung let go of his arm making him open his eyes for a fraction then peeked at him. A small, contented smile was curved on his lips as the rain continue to kiss his face. Namjoon closed his eyes again and let the feels sink into him . Without his knowledge, the other was stealing glances at him and feels happy that he sees that Namjoon seemed to enjoy it as well.

 

     Namjoon would have fallen asleep if it weren't for the rumbling of the thunder causing him to shot his eyes open. As the lightning illuminated the sky, heavy rain followed right after.

 

"." he cursed out loud. Standing up but Taehyung was quick enough to grab his wrist.

 

"Where are you going?"

 

"To a sheltered place. The rain's getting heavy." Taehyung pouted slightly and tightened his grip on Namjoon's wrist. "Wha-Hey! We're getting to get drenched. If you don't want to find shelter, I would."

 

"Wait. Don't go." he prevented him. "This is the most perfect time under the rain." Namjoon, again, stared at him like he had grown three heads. He doesn't get why this is the 'most perfect time' under the rain.

 

"But-"

 

"Oh come on. I know you don't like the rain but don't deny it-" he said. "I've seen you earlier and you liked it." a light flush crept up to his cheeks. "The rain isn't as bad as you think of it you know. Don't go please."

 

"But-" he started again but seeing Taehyung's hopeful eyes- he doesn't know why- but  it made him easily give in. "Alright, alright." the orange haired boy let out a weird happy dance making Namjoon laugh a bit.

 

"What are you doing?"

 

"A happy rain dance." the boy answered matter-o-factly. Namjoon snorted at him. Kim Taehyung is really unique as they say but Namjoon doesn't mind. He finds it cute, he admits. This was also the first time they met outside school and kind of hang out. This wasn't the way he expected it to happen but he didn't regret it either. Actually, he never thought of being able to hang out with Kim Taehyung, who always spends his time hanging upside down on a tree branch at school; who also does a lot of things in his unusual ways. They were kind of opposites at many things but Namjoon enjoyed his company and wanted to get to know Taehyung better.

 

     Just then the rain poured harder and soon, they were drenched from head to toe and their clothes sticking to their skin.

 

"Are we just going to stand here? I think I changed-YAH!" he exclaimed when Taehyung threw a water balloon at him. Where the hell did that came from? The other male just laughed. "Where'd you get those?"

 

"I always have them in my jacket." he grinned slyly then run away. "Come on Namjoon! Let your worries fly away and let loose! Nobody's too old to play in the rain!"

 

     Namjoon thought about it for a moment as he watch Taehyung run around, twirling and prancing like a ballerina. Maybe Taehyung was right, the rain isn't as bad as he always thought. He just worries too much and get caught up with his thoughts. And not everything we see, feel or thought as bad is actually bad because sometimes you ever need to open your eyes a bit wider to see the hidden light of things.

 

     Without hesitation, Namjoon bolted after the ecstatic Taehyung. He never thought he'd enjoy being under the rain, all because of this 4D alien.

 

"It's on Kim Taehyung!! I'm coming for you!"

 

     As the day ends, Namjoon learns to like the rain a little but liked Taehyung more.

 

 

 

 

~  FIN ~