21st century

Timeless Love (영원히 사랑)
 
"Joo Hyun imo, hurry up!"

 

Joo Hyun could only chuckle as she felt her niece's hands wrapped around hers. The little girl ran with full of energy. Kids, Joo Hyun thought.

 

"Areum, slow down! You might fall and get hurt. Halmeoni isn't going to run away. She would feel sad if she saw you fall and you will have ugly wounds on your body. You wouldn't want that, won't you?" Joo Hyun gives her a warning look, but she spoke in a soft voice.

 

"Really?! But I don't want to make halmeoni sad and I don't want to be ugly!" The little girl, or was known as Areum immediately slow down her pace and cup her own face. 

 

She takes Tae Yeon eonnie so well, Joo Hyun shook her head and her grip in Areum's hand tightened. "Then stop running and hold the picnic basket carefully!"

 

"Arasso, Joo Hyun imo~" Areum said cutely. After a while, they finally arrived at their destination. "We're here! We're here!" Areum beam a bright smile as she lead the way, to meet her grandmother.

 

"Areum, don't speak too loud. You might disturb other people." Joo Hyun shush her and she followed Areum's footsteps. She walks carefully, afraid she might accidentally step on the tombstones.

 

Areum furrowed her eyebrows to search for her grandmother's grave, before she immediately smile and usher her aunt to follow her. "Imo, come here. Halmeoni's grave is over there."

 

Joo Hyun was amused, and guilty at the same time. Amused at little 5 year-old Areum who can remember her grandmother's grave despite the huge graveyard and guilty because she barely visited her mother's grave due to her college assignments.

 

Areum places the picnic basket on the ground before she 'greets' her grandmother. "Annyeonghaseyo, halmeoni~ How are you? I hope you are sleeping well. Look! Mummy packs us your favourite white kimchi and some rice since imo wanted to have a picnic together and- oh! Daddy bought us some chickens too, but without mummy's permission, because mummy will get mad at me if I eat fast food and she will punish me and daddy by only eating pickles and veges for dinner!" She placed her little hands on the tombstone and excitedly talks to her "halmeoni". Joo Hyun held her tears and the sight and try to held a smile.

 

"Annyeonghaseyo, omma." Joo Hyun places the flowers on her mother's grave; baby breaths and roses to be exact. Her mother has always love those type of flowers. She used to plant them around their house when she was alive. But now, Areum and her mummy, Tae Yeon will water the plants together every morning and plant some more during their spare times. It has been a question in her mind ever since; why does she likes baby breaths and roses so much?

 

"I'm sorry for not visiting you for a quite time. I've to attend a course at California for six months, but now, well I'm here. I'll try to visit you twice a week. I miss you.... I miss you so much. Too much." Without Joo Hyun noticed, a tear slipped from her eyes. It was no lie when she said she missed her queen. Areum noticed her aunt is crying and she search for tissues in the picnic box before wiping Joo Hyun's tears away.

 

"Imo, don't cry. My teacher used to say that when people watch you cry, they will get sad as well. So, when halmeoni watches you cry, she will get sad. I don't want halmeoni to get sad." Areum said and peck her aunt's cheek. Joo Hyun hugs her and managed to curve a smile on her lips.

 

"You are such a sweet heart, my dear Byun Areum." Joo Hyun pinchs Areum's nose, earning a cute yelp from her. 

 

"Imo, Areumie is hungry." She rubs her tiny stomach and Joo Hyun smiles at her adorableness. "Come, let's set things up so we can eat."

 

"Yay!" Areum immediately helps Joo Hyun laying the picnic mat on the ground, beside her grandmother's grave and arranges the foods on the mat. When everything was settled, both of them seated down and Joo Hyun handed her a plate of rice, kimchi, some side dishes and only a small portion of chicken.

 

"Imo, why didn't you put many many many chickens in my plate?" Areum asked with furrowed eyebrows. "Areum, remember what your mummy said? You can't eat lot of fast foods, you know. It's not good for your health. You will get sick."

 

"But daddy always buys me chicken and hamburgers."

 

"And you know your mummy never approves that.." Joo Hyun looks at Areum as she could only sigh.

 

"Well, fine. I don't want to get sick, and mummy said there are lots of fats in fast food. I don't want to get fat! I want to be pretty. Pretty like my halmeoni." Areum hold the thombstone once again, and giggled. "Mummy used to said that halmeoni is really, really pretty. She looks like an angel. My teacher told us that angels are from heaven. So, is halmeoni in heaven, right now?" She asked innocently. 

 

Joo Hyun looks up from the sky, and back at Areum. With a gentle smile, she said

 

"Yes. Yes she is."

❤🕛❤

 

".... and Lami unnie usually takes care of me at school. I really love her! Mimi chingu would always brings her Barbie to school, and sometimes Mimi and I will exchange Barbies and play together before nap time. It's so hard to take a nap, so I followed imo's advice. I count jumping sheeps and I will sleep in no time!" 

 

They have been at the grave for about an hour and half, but none of then shows a sign to go home. Joo Hyun thought  it's better to spend time at her mother's grave rather than doing nothing at house. Areum keep on telling stories about her school and friends and how her daddy and mummy would fight over something small, but in the end, it's Areum who would bring the couple back by nagging at them like she's the oldest and get into a family group hug to her grandmother.

 

Joo Hyun was too distracted at Areum until she didn't notice the appreance of a man who is kneeling beside Joo Hyun's mother's grave. Areum stops talking when she saw the man and she immediately went to hug her aunt.

 

"Areum, what's wrong?" Joo Hyun asks curiously. She looks at Areum who's hugging her tightly this time. "S-samchon.." She pointed at something. Joo Hyun turns her eyes to where Areum pointed, only to meet eyes with a man.

 

Joo Hyun's heart went wild.

 

"W-what?" She avoids his eyes and focus on her niece instead. "What's wrong with the samchon?"

 

"Scared..." Areum mumbles. The man who notices how he makes the little girl scared feels guilty. He places the flowers on the grave he was visiting and Joo Hyun notices something.

The flowers were the exact flower she plucks for her grandmother.

 

"Hurm.." The guy was now infront of her, and he kneels down, so he's on the same height level as Areum. Joo Hyun couldn't avoid his stare now. She looks into his eyes immediately and gulps at the sight of the handsome man. From the distance, she could see his face clearly. He was so handsome. He was too handsome that even Joo Hyun was stuttering.

 

"Sorry for scaring her out." He finally said. Areum who burns her face in her aunt's chest take a peek of the man before returning to her previous position back.

 

"I-it's okay. She's not used with strangers." Joo Hyun stutters. The man just rubs his nape before he remembers something. "Oh right, I forgot to introduce myself. I'm Joon Myeon. Kim Joon Myeon" He lend her a hand, not realising that his hands are sweating because of his nervousness. Calm your nerves, Joon Myeon!

 

"Joo Hyun. Kim Joo Hyun." Unknowingly, Joon Myeon smiles when he felt Joo Hyun's soft hand on hers. Their hands fits each other well. Joo Hyun realised he holds her hand too long as she let go and immediately blush.

 

Joon Myeon fell his gaze to Areum as she is now sitting on Joo Hyun's lap and hide her face between her face. He founds it incredibely cute.

 

"Hello, little one. What's your name? Samchon is really sorry for scaring you out."

 

Areum lift up her face and Joon Myeon smiles widen when he saw the angel-like child. She said,

 

"Mummy said not to talk to strangers, even if he is a handsome samchon, just like samchon." She pouts, and Joo Hyun hugs her from behind. Joon Myeon grins to himself when she adressed him as 'handsome samchon'. 

 

"Well, let me ask for your mummy's permission if I can talk to you."

 

"Can I?"

 

"W-what?" Joo Hyun was bluring out. Joon Myeon rubs his nape again as he furrowed his eyebrows. "Can I talk to the little girl?"

 

"Samchon! Joo Hyun imo is not my mummy! My mummy's name is Kim Tae Yeon, but she got married to daddy and her name was changed to Byun Tae Yeon. Arasso?" She crosses her hand and frown at Joon Myeon. How could he easily said that her imo is her mother?!

 

"Aigo, samchon is really really sorry." He puts his hands together and tried to apologise to Areum. Joo Hyun chuckles at the two. Joon Myeon looks so adorable with his pleading face and Areum, acts like she's mad with her hands crossed. "Areum, samchon is apologising to you, right now. You know what you should do, right?"

 

Areum thought for a while before handing her small hands to the ahjussi. "Fine, samchon. Areum will forgive you, but don't get mistakenly thought again to whom is Areum's mummy, arasso? and my name is Byun Areum, which means pretty!"

 

"Yeap. Just like the person itself." Joon Myeon ruffles her hair.

 

"Samchon, are you hungry?" Areum asks ethusiactically.

 

"Kind of, samchon haven't ate lunch."

 

"Do you want some kimchi and rice? There are also some chickens left."

 

"Chickens? I love chickens!"

 

"Yes, Areum's father bought them. Well, who doesn't love chicken?" Joo Hyun puts extra two chicken drumsticks and chicken wings on his plate and serves it to him. She never forgets the kimchi, rice and other side dishes.

 

"Thank you. Well, sort of. Chicken is life." Joon Myeon and Joo Hyun chuckles. Areum pours a cup of orange juice and hands it to him. "Samchon, here you go. Orange juice is good for your health." Areum says.

 

"Arasso, thanks for the juice Areum-ie" Joon Myeon pinchs her nose before taking a bite of the chicken. While eating, he decided to have a conversation with the beautiful woman beside him, Joo Hyun

 

"So, who are you visiting?" Joon Myeon politely asks, not wanting to hurt her feelings. "I'm visiting my mother." Joo Hyun replies and her eyes went to her mother's grave. "She passed away early this month due to her sickness, and she's already old." She says sadly.

 

She still remember clearly when her mother passed away. Joo Hyun and Tae Yeon was beside their mother's bed. Her brother in law persuaded that they should bring her to the hospital immediately because he could clearly see his mother in law is dying but she insisted it, saying that she has no time anyways. She managed to wipe both of her daughters' tears before saying something that Joo Hyun kept in her mind, until today.

 

"Be kind to each other. Omma will never be by your side anymore, but I will always watch you from up there.. and I have one last wish."

 

"What is it, omma?"

 

"Tae Yeon-a. don't stop loving your husband and be a good housewife, and Baek Hyun.." She ushered her son in law to come nearer with crying Areum in his arms. "Take care of your family... be a good leader as you are. Don't ever leave her like me." Joo Hyun instantly thought, 'don't ever leave her like me'? What does she mesnt by that. But Joo Hyun doesn't care. All her care now is her mother's critical condition.

 

"Areum darling..." Areum's grandmother carresed her grandchild's hair. "Be a good girl to omma and appa, okay? Sorry because halmeoni can't accompany you to plant the flowers anymore, my grandchild." Areum was crying but she managed to peak at her grandmother and nodded.

 

"And Joo Hyun. My beautiful Joo Hyun. Take good care of yourself. Omma hope you will find the love of your life one day..." Joo Hyun tightened her grip around his mother's hand and cried, but she managed to nod.

 

"Omma just want you guys to.... know that...I.. will.... always....love... you.." 

 

Joo Hyun and Tae Yeon called her mother's name repeatedly when they saw their mother whose breath is getting short and slowly, her eyes closed.

 

She passed away.

 

".... she was buried her because Tae Yeon unnie said she was born at this area." Joo Hyun sighs as she told the whole story to Joon Myeon. He felt sad and unknowingly, he holds her hand. 

 

"I'm extremely sorry for your lost. Stay strong." Joo Hyun felt her cheeks are getting hot again when Joon Myeon's rough hands is wrapped around hers. It felt so right.

 

"Thanks. So... who are you visiting?" Joo Hyun asks. The grave Joon Myeon visits is just beside her mother's. 

 

"My father, well, not biological father. He found me infront of his house. In a box." Joon Myeon bitterly laughs. "I was not wanted by my own parents. I'm glad they still want me alive."

 

Joo Hyun's heart went heavy when he said that. She feels guilty, sad and sympathy at Joon Myeon."So, you haven't meet your biological parents? Who do you live with?" She asks, apologetically.

 

"No. I live alone, but I have four crazy bestfriends whom I considered as my life troublemaker."

 

Joo Hyun smiles and Joon Myeon stares at her for a while. He has never meet such person with a pretty smile like that.

 

A  pretty face.

A pretty attitude.

A pretty voice.

 

For the first time, Joon Myeon's heart thumps rapidly because of a girl.

 

"What's your father's name?" Joo Hyun founds Joon Myeon interesting, and she couldn't help but to feel curious.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Kim-"

 

Joo Hyun's phone suddenly rings. "I thought I already silent my phone earlier..." She mumbles to herself and excuse herself to answer the phone call. "Got a call. Please watch out Areum for me." Joon Myeon smiles and nod.

 

"Yeoboseyo?"

"Joo Hyun-a, are you still at the graveyard?"

"Nae, eonnie. Why?"

"Areum needs to attend her ballet lessons at 3 p.m. I thought she have already told you?"

"Probably she's too excited to meet omma until she forgets about that. We'll pack things up."

"Okay, safe driving, and don't forget to say I love you to omma for me!"

"Arasso."

 

Joo Hyun ends the call and packs the picnic basket. "Areum-ah, we need to go. You have ballet classes today, remember?"

 

"Omo! I forgot!" Areum gasps and Joon Myeon chuckles at her cute gasp. Joo Hyun shook her head. "Areum, help imo to clean up the plates."

 

"Here, let me help you." Joon Myeon offers a hand as he closes the lids of the food containers. "A-ani, you don't have to do it." Joo Hyun said to Joon Myeon, but he insisted.

 

"It's okay-"

 

When Joo Hyun wants to take the containers, their hands accidentally touch.

 

Both of them felt a pang of electricity when their hands touched.

 

Joo Hyun lifts her head, only to stare at Joon Myeon. The stare lasts for 5 seconds, before Joo Hyun breaks the eye contact, and once again, Joo Hyun's soft cheeks went red. Joon Myeon fakely coughs and Joo Hyun manages to set back the containers in the picnic basket.

 

Joon Myeon folds the picnic mat awkwardly and place it near the basket. "Imo! Samchon! Look. The sky's turning black." Joo Hyun and Joon Myeon looks at where Areum is pointing, the sky.

 

"I think you should go back right now before it rains." Joon Myeon says and hands her an umbrella he brought earlier which Joo Hyun didn't notice.

 

"Yeah, you're right. But what about you? Don't you have any spare umbrellas for yourself? Joo Hyun asks, feeling uneasy. "It's okay. I have one too." He shows his purple umbrella. "No need to worry."

 

She nods and kneels at her mother's grave. "Omma, I'll visit you again, arasso? Rest in peace. Saranghae, omma." She holds the tombstone and smiles sadly. "Oh, and Tae Yeon eonnie says I love you."

 

"Halmeoni! Areum will visit you again soon! Take care of yourself, halmeoni. I hope you like the flowers me and imo plucked. SLeep well. Areum-ie neomu neomu saranghae~" Areum puts her small hand on the tombstone and shows a hugging gesture.

 

Joon Myeon feels warm at the sight of Joo Hyun and Areum. They just met 30 minutes ago and Joon Myeon already feels comfortable around them. Joo Hyun stands up, and she fels something wet.

 

"It's raining!" Joo Hyun immediately opens the umbrella and holds Areum's hand. Joon Myeon does the same.

 

"Joon Myeon sshi, we got to go now. It's nice meeting you." Joo Hyun said, with a higher voice because of the heavy rain. "You too, Joo Hyun sshi. Be careful!"

 

"Annyeong, samchon! Let's play together when we meet again, promise?" Areum lets out her pinky finger. Joon Myeon lets out his pinky finger, intertwining their fingers. "Promise."

 

"Yay! Bye bye!" She waves at Joon Myeon, and he waves back with a grin on his face. Joo Hyun and Joon Myeon's eyes meet, making Joo Hyun to feel something weird in her heart. She feels something is lost when she said good bye.

 

Joon Myeon smiles at her and she smiles back, making both hearts beating in high speed.

 

When both of their figures starting to fade at his sight, he remembers something and smacks his head.

 

"Joon Myeon! You should'nt just say good bye! Try asking for her number or something." He sighs, but slowly he forms a gentle smile.

 

"At least I can spend some time with her. Kim Joo Hyun, you are really something.

A/N: Author's note : First chapter is up! Three-four more chapters to go ❤ /whispers BaekYeon /whispers