Ch.1

Lies,Family,Truth,Love

“YoungJi!!!” Haraboji said from the dining table waving me to come sit. I went to sit down next to him, I would have never thought I would be sitting here today with the Park family, hold up let me step back and introduce everyone for you. Theres my Haraboji, the owner of the great mall Rose mall, it's been in the family line since very long, next to him is Halmeoni, she's a very short pale lady, but she is one of the funniest Halmeoni I know. Next to her is there youngest son, my uncle and his wife, they both are one of the most nice, sweetest looking people I know out there. Next to them sits there two kids, or also known as my first cousin Park Ha-eun and Park Sung-min. Although there dad is the youngest son Park Ha-Eun is the oldest Grandchildren and the oldest granddaughter and then we have Park Sungmin only a couple months younger than elder uncles oldest son Jackson. Across from Sungmin sit Jackson and his younger sister Park Eun-ji. Although only 21 Jackson being the oldest Grandson runs Rose Mall with little help from Elder Uncle and Haraboji, and of course next to them sit elder Uncle and his wife, whom would usually be sitting where I am currently sitting. Since it was my first breakfast with them Haraboji wanted to make sure I was comfortable. Hold up you're probably wondering why I’m here and this is my first breakfast with them, yes he’s my Haraboji, but believe this about a week ago we didn't even know we were family, forreal, I guess I better start a little farther back.

 


 

“YoungJi, you're late again!!!” Ji-Hye said to me as I entered the department. I bowed my head and ran to my corner desk. Urg what's wrong with me I thought, I’ve only just started this job and I’m already running late, by this rate they will fire me. Miyoung walked up to my desk and placed a hand on me.

“Hey, I know it's hard getting her since you're new to the area, but yah I’m your friend, I referred you this job don't make me look bad.”  Miyoung said jokingly.

“I know…… sorry…..” I said looking at all the files on my desk, after looking at me struggle Miyoung walked off. Its true Miyoung helped me get this assistant job, actually at first I applied for a Store at Rose Mall, but Miyoung said she could help get me the assistant job at Rose Mall, so I took her offer up. After finishing up my work I went on break with Miyoung and Min-Jun.

“I heard they're making some cuts to the departments!” Miyoung said as we sat down.

“Make sure you do well Youngji, you could be on the cut list.”Min-Ju said laughing.

“Yah Min-Jun Oppa, I work just as hard as you guys, why would they cut me?” I said already knowing what they had to say.

“Never mind I’m going.” I said picking up my tray of food and dumping it out. Its true I’m late often but that doesn't mean I don't work hard, I work just as hard as everyone else.

 


 

“Did you get that File I asked for?” Mr.Park asked.

“Yes I did.” Secretary Lee said handing over the file.

“You where correct, she is Hwayoung’s daughter.”

“Appa is it true, that's Hwayoung noona’s daughter?”

Mr.Park did not speak, he just looked at the file in his hand.

 


 

“Miss Heo, the president would like to see you.”

“Ohh okay.” I said getting up, oh my gosh I’m getting cut I didn't think this would happen, how am I going to explain to my aunt and Uncle that I lost my job today. By the time I got to the president's office I could barely step in, not even nudge, I took a deep breath in and walked straight in. As I walked in I notice not only was the president there but the whole Park family.

“Miss Heo please sit down.” Mr.Park said pointing to a seat next to him.

“Thank you, but I have alot of work to do, so please just get to what you have to say.”

“Miss Heo I know your Umma.” Mr.park said looking directly at me.

“You look just like her, even your voice is like her.” I was shocked how did he know my Umma, how did he know I looked just like her, where they stalking me, did my family own them some sort of debt.

“Mr.Park with all due respect but how do you know how my mother looks like?” I said shocked at everything he knew about me.

“Miss Heo, or should I say Youngji, your my granddaughter, your mother Park Hwayoung is my daughter.” As soon as Mr.Park said those words I dropped, I felt my body lifeless.

“YoungJi we already did the search, your 100% Park Hwayoungs daughter, whom is Mr.Parks daughter, making you a part of Park family.” Mr.Park’s oldest son or now of all of a sudden known as my uncle said handing me the vanilla folder. I looked at the folder, read all the papers.

“Mr.Park please explain this all to me.” I said barely able to hold back my tears. Mr.park sat me down and explained everything, from my Umma running away with my Appa, because my Haraboji disapproved of them. My Umma was the only daughter and for that my Haraboji wanted her to marry someone with a good family background, since she refused and my Haraboji wouldn't allow they ran away together, my Haraboji never heard from them again. Finally a couple days ago my Haraboji ran into me at the office and instantly thought I looked like my Umma, for that he could resist the urge to dig into my background, and of course you guys have heard the results.

“Youngji, I want you to move in with me, I’ve heard for the last past couple of years after your Umma and Appa passed away you’ve been living with your uncle and aunt, I’ve already called them and they agree that you can move out of your apartment in seoul to live with me.”

“Live with you, Mr.Park…. I mean Haraboji thats nice, but this is so sudden.”

“I know it is, I realized years after your Umma ran away that I made a mistake, when I contact your Umma, she never wanted anything to do with me, know that I’ve met you I want to make up for the missing 21 years I missed and make up to your Umma somehow.”

“Haraboji please let me think about it first, this, this all is so sudden.” I said looking at my Haraboji, my Appa’s Umma and Appa passed away when I was young so I never had a Haraboji in my life, I never thought I would have the chance to say this word in my whole life, but finally I got a chance to. All of a sudden the door to the office swung open.

“Yeobo is that her, Annyeong Youngji I’m your Halmeoni.” She said holding my hand and crying. These two people, the people I’ve honored for so long all of a sudden became my Haraboji and Halmeoni, even in my wildest dreams I would have never seen this coming. I told Halmeoni to give me some time to think about the whole thing. After a couple days and discussing it with my Aunt and Uncle, I decided the best thing to do right now was probably move in with them, I mean they are my family now and lets be honest if I want to understand them better, I better start off living in the same house as them. A couple days later I went and told Haraboji my decision of going to live with them. Haraboji along with the family was happy all except Jackson, he barely even moved of joy to hear the great news. The next day Haraboji showed up at my apartment to help me clean out my belongs and move to the great house, upon arriving at the house I couldn't believe I was even stepping into this house yet along live in it. I dropped my bags at the Foyer and was introduced to the housekeeping staff, no matter how I thought of it only awkwardness ran through my head, a person like me was being greeted by others and looked highly of. After the introductions I was shown my room, Haraboji said it was my Umma’s old room, as I walked in I could tell all the furniture was my Umma’s style. Although she hadn't been in the room for years I could still smell my Umma’s scent. I pinched myself, maybe waking up to my alarm going off or something, but no, as hard as I pinched I never woke up from this dream like reality. I unpacked my belongs into the dressers and I walked downstairs, where I finally got a formal introduction of everyone in the family. Everyone seemed happy to see me, nobody seemed to have hated me or resent me other then of course Jackson.

“So all of a sudden you finding out about your unknown niece, you're not worried?”

“No, not one bit when my yeodongsaeng had left I always felt as her Oppa I never helped her enough, now with you back I feel like taking care of you, is how I can once again help her out.When my yeodongsaeng was around she was a gem, and when my yeodongsaeng left a bit of joy left this family, now that you're here it feels as if she's some how returned, you’ve brought that joy we lost back to the family again.” Elder uncle said looking at the photo of my Umma. After dinner I went straight to bed, Haraboji had said he had a big surprise for me, I wonder what it could have been.

(beep, beep)

I look over at my phone, Miyoung texted me, she must be worried cause I haven’t been to work in a while.

 

Miyoung Text:

“yahh YoungJi what happened? Did you get laid off?”

 

YoungJi Text:

“No, I’ll be back tomorrow, I’ve been feeling a little under the weather, but I’ll be back tomorrow. I promise.”

 

Miyoung Text:

“Okk, see you tomorrow.”


How am I supposed to tell her I’m apart of Park family, how am I supposed to tell anyone. I decided to not think of it anymore and head off to bed.